eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hello,

I bought P4EL and can't make it work..

The GPU I got is HD4830, my laptop is Lenovo T420, and I am connecting the PE4L with the mini PCI-E.

The problem is that the GPU isn't detected :[

What can be the problem? the GPU is too old :o?

Can the PSU be the reason? I am using some old 400W..

Thanks

I'm not a pro on this subject, because I don't own an eGPU, but are you sure the PSU is turned on? And I mean by turned on, that the ATX power cable (the big fat 24pin cable) is properly rigged so that electricity can flow?

You need a little piece of metal (check step 2) or something like this hooked to your PSU. This is, I guess, something that is overlooked by many ppl.

First off, wow you guys have really put a lot of work into this community and eGPUs, if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't be attempting this.

I've read most of the guides/tutorials and read quite a few of the topics on this forum, also I researched my parts before making this thread. So I mostly would like feedback (ie pls tell if I totally screwed up :P) on my selection of parts and how I want to set up it up and if I missed something. I haven't bought my parts yet as this is my first eGPU project and would like an experienced second opinion, as they say measure twice, cut once. My own tech hardware experience is re/building desktops/laptops/phones, no soldering xp, software wise I've installed OSes/rooted/jail broken so as long there a guide I'm good.

I plan on this being a some what portable setup so I want to use nVidia's Optimus so I can use my internal display. I want to play modern games at 720p on high settings. My budget is limited to ~$650.

The Setup

PSU: An Xbox AC Adapter (already own), buy a dc/pcie adapter for ~$10

Enclosure: Make my own

PCI-e Adapter: PE4L-EC060A (used ~$70)

GPU: nVidia 750ti 2GB (used ~$120)

Laptop: Lenovo Edge E531 i7-3632QM (used ~$450) It uses Intel HD4000 GPU, Intel HM77 Chipset, no dGPU, OS W7

ThinkPad E531 | Small Business Laptop Optimized for Windows 8 | | Lenovo (US)

According to this thread, I believe it should be plug and play but he doesn't mention the laptop used or its specs:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6651-evga-gtx-750ti-sc-works-internal-lcd-whitout-optimus-modded-ini-files.html

I need a little help...

I bought P4EL and can't make it work..

The GPU I got is HD4830, my laptop is Lenovo T420, and I am connecting the PE4L with the mini PCI-E.

The problem is that the GPU isn't detected :[

I am using some old 400W PSU,

tried today another 1, which I think is 500W.

If I am correct, when the setup is connected and the laptop is off,

The leds on the board lights as this: D1-Green, D2-Off,D3-Yellow,D4-Red.

When I turn on the laptop the D4 turns off

What can be the problem please help :[

First off, wow you guys have really put a lot of work into this community and eGPUs, if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't be attempting this.

I've read most of the guides/tutorials and read quite a few of the topics on this forum, also I researched my parts before making this thread. So I mostly would like feedback (ie pls tell if I totally screwed up :P) on my selection of parts and how I want to set up it up and if I missed something. I haven't bought my parts yet as this is my first eGPU project and would like an experienced second opinion, as they say measure twice, cut once. My own tech hardware experience is re/building desktops/laptops/phones, no soldering xp, software wise I've installed OSes/rooted/jail broken so as long there a guide I'm good.

I plan on this being a some what portable setup so I want to use nVidia's Optimus so I can use my internal display. I want to play modern games at 720p on high settings. My budget is limited to ~$650.

The Setup

PSU: An Xbox AC Adapter (already own), buy a dc/pcie adapter for ~$10

Enclosure: Make my own

PCI-e Adapter: PE4L-EC060A (used ~$70)

GPU: nVidia 750ti 2GB (used ~$120)

Laptop: Lenovo Edge E531 i7-3632QM (used ~$450) It uses Intel HD4000 GPU, Intel HM77 Chipset, no dGPU, OS W7

ThinkPad E531 | Small Business Laptop Optimized for Windows 8 | | Lenovo (US)

According to this thread, I believe it should be plug and play but he doesn't mention the laptop used or its specs:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6651-evga-gtx-750ti-sc-works-internal-lcd-whitout-optimus-modded-ini-files.html

E531 has no expresscard slot -> you'd need to fumble around with a mPCIe solution with one of those machines. Furthermore, Lenovo have been setting TOLUD=3.5GB in their most recent machines, making it most certainly not plug'n'play. I'd therefore steer clear of the E531 for eGPU purposes. Instead, consider the Ivy Bridge systems listed at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list-%5Bthin-light%5D.html#post57159 for a better candidate.

Sorry again if this has been asked already, but now that I finally got my GTX 670, I can make the eGPU-System of my dreams.

However, in some games (like GTA 4), the FPS aren't better than before, probably due to the fact the bandwith still limits a bit.

Now, unfortunately, I cannot check whether optimus compaction is activated or not, so I'd like to now if you have any tips to at least partially improve performance?

I'm using an external monitor, of course.

I'm asking this because I know I'll have to use this system for a while until a decent thunderbolt notebook arrives.

Sorry again if this has been asked already, but now that I finally got my GTX 670, I can make the eGPU-System of my dreams.

However, in some games (like GTA 4), the FPS aren't better than before, probably due to the fact the bandwith still limits a bit.

Now, unfortunately, I cannot check whether optimus compaction is activated or not, so I'd like to now if you have any tips to at least partially improve performance?

I'm using an external monitor, of course.

I'm asking this because I know I'll have to use this system for a while until a decent thunderbolt notebook arrives.

See Pre Purchase FAQ -> 5. (Performance) What affects the performance of a eGPU?

Optimus x1 pcie compression and a Gen2 link can be confirmed by checking screenshots below:

x12optcheck.jpg

The GPU-Z link speed might show x1 1.1, requiring it to be put under load to see x1 2.0. Easiest way to do that is selecting the Adjust image option in the NVidia control panel:

NVFORCE_4.jpg

Can you also please submit your Throttlestop i7-3720QM TS bench results into the 2570P thread? http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-37.html#post77432. Need another sample of one of those CPUs to gauge if it's worth getting over say a i7-3630QM.

Tried yesterday with HD 4770,

The GPU's fan isn't running when the laptop is off, when I turn on the laptop the fan turns on,

but still can't get the eGPU detected :[

hi everyone, i have follow eGPU thread from NBR, but i haven't tried the eGPU adapter because the price....:06:

well there is the new one PE4C-HP3A V1.2 which is cost below $50,

and there is exp gdc too "the clone" version which is cheaper than bplus.....

actually i want to try to make the diy-ed adapter of diy egpu...

but i want to ask is diy-ed adapter support pci-express 2.0 speed? like with the recent egpu you can get the 5.0Gbps...

of course the laptop must be the newer chipset, because the older one can't support right?

just like the NBR member @sonny_mv, @blackett version makes me want to make one too.....

is anyone know does they work on pci-e 2.0 speed? or is it depend on used cable or solder joint quality?

thank you

hi everyone, i have follow eGPU thread from NBR, but i haven't tried the eGPU adapter because the price....:06:

well there is the new one PE4C-HP3A V1.2 which is cost below $50,

and there is exp gdc too "the clone" version which is cheaper than bplus.....

actually i want to try to make the diy-ed adapter of diy egpu...

but i want to ask is diy-ed adapter support pci-express 2.0 speed? like with the recent egpu you can get the 5.0Gbps...

of course the laptop must be the newer chipset, because the older one can't support right?

just like the NBR member @sonny_mv, @blackett version makes me want to make one too.....

is anyone know does they work on pci-e 2.0 speed? or is it depend on used cable or solder joint quality?

thank you

You could build an adapter to save a few bucks, but you might have trouble getting it to sustain a PCIe 2.0 link depending on the type of cabling you use. An old floppy or IDE cable might work for 1.0, but you're rolling the dice on getting it to run at 2.0. Building your own adapter also introduces an unknown into your eGPU equation when troubleshooting and would probably not have the (very valuable) PERST function. A proper adapter would be a small part of the total cost, depending on your GPU selection. On top of the adapter you need a power supply, the GPU itself, and you stand a decent chance of needing Setup 1.x from @Tech Inferno Fan. Obviously it's your setup and your call, but if it were me I would rather spend my time tweaking my setup and playing games than trying to troubleshoot a DIY adapter (worst case wiring a 3.3v and GND backwards, potentially frying your EC slot).

If you manage to procure a 650ti Boost, 750ti, or (on sale) 660 for your eGPU, you'll be all-in for less than $230 US including your adapter and Dell DA-2 power supply. Most people here would prefer/recommend a 660 as the others may present problems on certain systems or without the Setup software.

TLDR; Want upgrade from 1080 to 1440, is this going to kill performance on my egpu in gaming AAA titles

Hi guys,

I have been running my egpu setup for a while now,

Elitebook 8470p i7 35w and a gtx 770.

I am extremely pleased with performance in all gamessuch as BF4,DayZ and Arma3 at 1920x1080. (Happy to give numbers if anyone wants)

I have been given the opportunity to purchase a dell 27" 1440p display at below wholesale cost and I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of performance loss due to bandwidth I will incur.

I do not mind reducing my graphics settings.

Greetings from Kiwiland

Model: Dell Latitude E6410

CPU/GPU: Intel i5 540M / Intel HD Graphics (Core i5)

I've been running with this computer for a few years now, picked it up from a previous employer who went under. I've been looking to upgrade to a desktop computer and I've been frugally assembling parts for it over time. I've picked up pieces so far like power supply, optical media, case; stuff that isn't going to be easily obsoleted any time soon. I'm reaching the point where I'm starting to pick up some of the bigger items, and the GPU I'm interested in is the EVGA 04G-P4-2768-KR. I'm interested in turning it into an eGPU in the meantime until the rest of the parts are assembled.

I've been trying to research the subject, and I know that my current computer only has a series-5 CPU and its ExpressCard slot is limited to x1 unless I link the slot to a mPCIe port. The GPU is a GeForce GTX 760, which I haven't been able to find much information on other than it's apparently difficult to get working due to the 4GB of GDDR5. I already have a power supply, which I believe will work.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth the time and effort to try to make something like this work? Is it even possible? It's not worth it to upgrade my notebook computer to another notebook computer just for the sake of a DIY project, so if I wanted to actually build an eGPU would I be better off just picking up an easier to work with used card off of eBay or something?

TLDR; Want upgrade from 1080 to 1440, is this going to kill performance on my egpu in gaming AAA titles

Hi guys,

I have been running my egpu setup for a while now,

Elitebook 8470p i7 35w and a gtx 770.

I am extremely pleased with performance in all gamessuch as BF4,DayZ and Arma3 at 1920x1080. (Happy to give numbers if anyone wants)

I have been given the opportunity to purchase a dell 27" 1440p display at below wholesale cost and I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of performance loss due to bandwidth I will incur.

I do not mind reducing my graphics settings.

Greetings from Kiwiland

Given the low cost of the upgrade, why not just purchase the monitor? You can find out what the performance impact is, if any. Can downgrade the resolution to 1080P if significant.

Model: Dell Latitude E6410

CPU/GPU: Intel i5 540M / Intel HD Graphics (Core i5)

I've been running with this computer for a few years now, picked it up from a previous employer who went under. I've been looking to upgrade to a desktop computer and I've been frugally assembling parts for it over time. I've picked up pieces so far like power supply, optical media, case; stuff that isn't going to be easily obsoleted any time soon. I'm reaching the point where I'm starting to pick up some of the bigger items, and the GPU I'm interested in is the EVGA 04G-P4-2768-KR. I'm interested in turning it into an eGPU in the meantime until the rest of the parts are assembled.

I've been trying to research the subject, and I know that my current computer only has a series-5 CPU and its ExpressCard slot is limited to x1 unless I link the slot to a mPCIe port. The GPU is a GeForce GTX 760, which I haven't been able to find much information on other than it's apparently difficult to get working due to the 4GB of GDDR5. I already have a power supply, which I believe will work.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth the time and effort to try to make something like this work? Is it even possible? It's not worth it to upgrade my notebook computer to another notebook computer just for the sake of a DIY project, so if I wanted to actually build an eGPU would I be better off just picking up an easier to work with used card off of eBay or something?

Plenty of existing examples of eGPU implementations at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#dx9 . E6410 even listed as x2 1.0 capable. Just note that the E4310, likely with a similar bios, needed a DSDT override to be able to allocate the eGPU. REF: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html#post27316

You'll need to decide for yourself if it's worth adding an eGPU to that system.

I just found out that in my Nvidia control panel, a lot of features were missing, including the "Display settings" tabs. Why?

I read that it was "because the Intel HD handles the display part".

Just thought I would share a DIY case I made with a wood box primed white, with a smoked transparent plexiglass top. :) It is the same width as my laptop and only 3 inchs longer out the back, and fits nicely in my backpack, good portability. Its not perfect, but works well. I have a GTX460 1gb and xbox psu mod sitting in there.

post-17391-14494997903485_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Just a note about some important thread cleanup just completed:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list.html#post57159

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#dx9

• DX9 table now sorted by 3dmark06 score; highest to lowest

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi,

I'm not sure if me question is right here or if I should have started a new thread. Does anybody have expirence with the new PE4C? On bplus it looks available now (I don't know since when). I'm new to this topic and like to try it out with my Dell Vostro 3450 (with Expresscard).

PE4C has been recalled, pending some fixes. It will be released in V2.1 form. It's listed on BPlus' website, Taobao and Aliexpress:

http://www.bplus.com.tw/Adapter/PE4C%20V2.0.html

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3.w4002-2212942735.12.HYuwcV&id=39530239987

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/PE4C-V2-0-PCIe-x16-Adapter/1958624182.html

@Arise

I know, but they're those ASUS Gsomething gamer pieces. I'd like a notebook without discrete GPU and exchangeable CPU in a small form factor with high battery life.

That's why I'm asking. I'd buy a macbook, but the CPUs are not really fast (top models cost waaaaay too much). So there actually is nothing left.

I'm of the same opinion. There is no business grade, quad-core, thin and affordable notebook with a TB port. Something like a Dell M3800 but with TB port. Closest is a 15" MBP which is hardly affordable.

I acquired a 14" Dell E6440 expecting it would allow a x2 2.0 config, but alas no. I detail why and point out a 14" Dell E6430 as a possible x2 2.0 machine at http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/6980-14-dell-latitude-e6440-owners-lounge.html#eGPU . Note too that the quad-core Haswell CPUs have worse performance than Ivy Bridge ones as detailed in http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html#post95181 .

x2 2.0 hasn't been considered much so far. Reason being (1) x2 2.0 capable hardware was only just released in the form of a PE4C V2 by BPlus. Though I found that PE4H 2.4 was capable of a Gen2 link only with an AMD card (not NVidia) when using the newer PCIEMM-060B cable (2) configuring x2 2.0 requires obtaining a bios dump, reprogramming it using the Intel ME firmware tools and flashing it back. That's because Intel have locked down the port width configuration as of the Series-6 chipset. Prior to that it was possible to modify the link width by Setup 1.x software. Obtaining a FW dump on a Dell system requires bridging some pins on the audio codec chip. There plenty of margin to brick your notebook in attempting this.

I'd suggest hold onto your 12.5" 2570P and see what Broadwell systems released later this year bring. Bang-per-buck and bang-per-cm^3, an i7-quad upgraded 2570P is untouchable.

• Thumbs Up 1

PE4C has been recalled, pending some fixes. It will be released in V2.1 form. It's listed on BPlus' website, Taobao and Aliexpress:

PE4C V2.0 (PCIe x16 Adapter)

eGPU

PE4C V2.0 (PCIe x16 Adapter)-in Other Computer Products from Computer & Networking on Aliexpress.com

So it's not recommended to buy V2.0 now and wait instead for V2.1 or buy EXP GDC for example?

Whow whow hey! Why is the PE4C $180 at checkout? Not really in the EXP GDC $99 price range.

Think that Aliexpress pricing is wrong. The Taobao 298 yuan price matches EXP GDC pricing exactly. BPlus were also listing the PE4C V2.0 on their website for US$90 + US$23 delivery prior to removing it from sale. I was advised it was pulled because of a critical hardware design bug that is to be corrected in V2.1.

So it's not recommended to buy V2.0 now and wait instead for V2.1 or buy EXP GDC for example?

Yes. If need something immediately then can take a shot on EXP GDC V6. @jacobsson has a stellar outline on how to order it compares it against the PE4C V2.x at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6643-exp-gdc-v6-discussion.html#post88642 . If you can afford to wait then may well be worth it for the PE4C V2.1.

Think that Aliexpress pricing is wrong. The Taobao 298 yuan price matches EXP GDC pricing exactly. BPlus were also listing the PE4C V2.0 on their website for US$90 + US$23 delivery prior to removing it from sale. I was advised it was pulled because of a critical hardware design bug that is to be corrected in V2.1.

Yes. If need something immediately then can take a shot on EXP GDC V6. @jacobsson has a stellar outline on how to order it compares it against the PE4C V2.x at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6643-exp-gdc-v6-discussion.html#post88642 . If you can afford to wait then may well be worth it for the PE4C V2.1.

PE4C V2.0 looks available on bplus.com.tw (at least i can make a payment)

And when it was not available on bplus.co.tw, it was available on bplustech.com at a higher price, i thought that was mistake.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.