eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Who in the World installs Nvidia drivers through Windows Update??!

1. Uninstall Nvidia drivers by universal driver uninstaller.

2. Install Intel driver if you want.

3. Install latest beta or WHQL driver from Nvidia.

I am getting excellent performance and no issues using the latest Nvidia driver provided via Windows Update, and same goes for the older Intel driver I am using that I also installed via Windows Update (but now can't update).

I like because it manages versions for me and comes without all the bloatware Nvidia drivers come with now a days. Why is not important, what is is that I resolve the issue at hand.

Bloatware?

Nvidia 337 = 231MB

WDDM1.3 = 233MB

I dunno man. I'd bet 337 beates any WDDM driver you ever had.

Anyway this is a nonsens discussion. If Microsoft's WDDM doesn't work, try another one, eg the one that worked flawless before or the official one.

Problems with Microsoft WDDM aren't uncommon just check google.

New problem. Bizzare problem

Got that fixed, I tried the hibernation mode and start it again and it worked. But then I removed the dGPU to free up resources, and i rebooted, and then the hibernation option just disappered from the "shutdown" button.

So now i cant go into hibernation which i need to detect my eGPU. And I can not disable the dGPU which i need to free resources to solve error 12.

How can I go past this?

Anyone had any success using an x230 with windows 8? At the moment mine crashes dwm.exe (desktop window manager), which means you can't log in or use anything metro.

I'm using a gts250 until my gtx660 shows up. Could that be the issue maybe?

EDIT: This seems relevant to running egpu on windows 8: http://superuser.com/a/558907... TLDR; DWM must run on primary video card

Hello gentlemen.

I have a very annoying problem. I am running windows 8 on a Dell vostro 3700. I have everything in order except for error 12. The thing is with my computer is that the only way for it to detect the eGPU is to hibernate and plug it in. Sleep mode will hang it on black screen, reboot the same, and plugging it in during reboot the same. The big problem is, if i disable the dGPU the hibernate option in windows disappears.

So its a circle. I need to disable the dGPU to free up resources, but if i do so, i cant hibernate it and detect the eGPU.

Any suggestions?

Hello. I have been lurking for a while. I am looking to see if there are any Sony Vaio Z2 members who have had success with any of their setups

Yes, @MikjoA has done an Z2 mPCIe implementation here.

I think he uses a PE4L 2.1b for 1.2opt now a days.

Hi All,

I am thinking about building an egpu config using my Dell E6430 (i5-3320m, no dgpu) and the EXP GDC v6.0. My initial questions are:

- where can I order the exp gdc with the dell power brick (and additional 2x6pin power cable) on some pictures? (I am located in Europe) Found only some chinese sites with varying info details and no paypal payment options...

- do I understand correctly that using the power brick I don't need any other power source? (thinking about a nice box in the long run)

- will it give me the full Gen2 pci-e bandwidth like the pe4l?

- has anyone had this config before?

Thanks!

Hallo for all TI forum member

I'm a noob here. I already read almost a whole discussion here. But just to make sure, I want to ask directly from you

I have a sony vaio VPCZ1 series. The spesification :

Intel i7 640M processor dual core with hyper threading

Intel HM57 Chipset

Nvidia GT330m dGpu

Intel HD iGpu

Switchable GPU and static GPU from bios hack ( Nvidia off or Intel HD off )

Expresscard available

1920x1080 full HD LCD

And I just planning to make my egpu with Asus GTX 660 + pe4h v2.4 + EC2C. May be have you some opinion about my egpu. Will it working, and how about performance I can get with my system..?

eventhough the GTX 660 used pcie 3.0, I think it will be still some benefit use a pcie 3.0 Gpu on pcie 1.1 motherboard,

And because sometime I need to bring my laptop to university, is that possible, to activate the dGpu again without any problem..? I mean I want use GTX 660 and intel HD with optimus driver installed, but in same time I want instal the standard Nvidia driver for my GT 330M

Thanks for your help

and have a great day

No actually the PE4L shouldn't have to have a separate 5V, but you never know it sounds like your gpu takes more power than stated.

Please report back as soon as you tested!

I got the USB cable yesterday, and the PE4L lights up when connected to a 5V power supply via USB, but the graphics card still doesn't work. Next step: check to see if the card is dead? Might be an issue ... I'm wondering if I can test it out with my work computer, but that might be a bad idea with all the NDAs I had to sign ...

Also, the x1 connection isn't very stable and the card slides off unless at a certain angle or unless something's holding it in place. Is that normal?

The GTX650-series has the unusual requirement of 256MB+32MB of PCI space

I want to buy a GTX760 with 4gb memory. Please tell me I will not have problems?

My Computer: Lenovo x220 i7 (4294) 16gb 1333mhz

I got the USB cable yesterday, and the PE4L lights up when connected to a 5V power supply via USB, but the graphics card still doesn't work. Next step: check to see if the card is dead? Might be an issue ... I'm wondering if I can test it out with my work computer, but that might be a bad idea with all the NDAs I had to sign ...

Also, the x1 connection isn't very stable and the card slides off unless at a certain angle or unless something's holding it in place. Is that normal?

Yeah you should test the card in a friends desktop just to be sure it is still ok.

The PE4L x1 connector is really shitty, but the card should not be able to just slid out, that I'm sure of.

Please report back if the card is functional or not.

I really wish I could help you more.

Hallo for all TI forum member

I'm a noob here. I already read almost a whole discussion here. But just to make sure, I want to ask directly from you

I have a sony vaio VPCZ1 series. The spesification :

Intel i7 640M processor dual core with hyper threading

Intel HM57 Chipset

Nvidia GT330m dGpu

Intel HD iGpu

Switchable GPU and static GPU from bios hack ( Nvidia off or Intel HD off )

Expresscard available

1920x1080 full HD LCD

And I just planning to make my egpu with Asus GTX 660 + pe4h v2.4 + EC2C. May be have you some opinion about my egpu. Will it working, and how about performance I can get with my system..?

eventhough the GTX 660 used pcie 3.0, I think it will be still some benefit use a pcie 3.0 Gpu on pcie 1.1 motherboard,

And because sometime I need to bring my laptop to university, is that possible, to activate the dGpu again without any problem..? I mean I want use GTX 660 and intel HD with optimus driver installed, but in same time I want instal the standard Nvidia driver for my GT 330M

Thanks for your help

and have a great day

Yes I think it will wok just go with setup 1.1 and use DDU uninstaller and you're good to go!

Good luck buddy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hello, was wondering if someone who can donate a EGPU, which is not in use and is able to send to Brazil. if possible post with video card.

every day I get on the forum to see how the EGPU works and I do not have conditions to buy parts from a EGPU, and a video card, so if someone that has a EGPU and you are not using, you can send me?

If an eGPU uses desktop GPUs for laptops, why is it very uncommon for any manufacturer to put desktop GPUs in their notebooks? I mean, I know they're bulky, heavy, and heat up, but I would think at least some manufacturers would do it.

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen many custom built laptops/notebooks with desktop GPUs, but what I meant was big manufacturers like, say, Alienware/Toshiba/Acer

If an eGPU uses desktop GPUs for laptops, why is it very uncommon for any manufacturer to put desktop GPUs in their notebooks? I mean, I know they're bulky, heavy, and heat up, but I would think at least some manufacturers would do it.

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen many custom built laptops/notebooks with desktop GPUs, but what I meant was big manufacturers like, say, Alienware/Toshiba/Acer

Can you link some of those desktop/laptop monster-builds?(didn't know they existed) I can't really see how the dimensions would be 'mobile'.

The great thing about eGPU is that when I need to work I just undock the un-necessary eGPU and carry my small laptop in a regular laptop bag. I used to have 17" gaming laptop breaking my back when going to school/work everyday.

Can you link some of those desktop/laptop monster-builds?(didn't know they existed) I can't really see how the dimensions would be 'mobile'.

The great thing about eGPU is that when I need to work I just undock the un-necessary eGPU and carry my small laptop in a regular laptop bag. I used to have 17" gaming laptop breaking my back when going to school/work everyday.

These custom gaming laptops are way too expensive. I suggest you stay away from it unless you don't care about your money.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Where's your review you've promised, @jacobsson? I'm really curious about your experiment with the EXP GDC you have.

Hey guys,

I've made a eGPU setup of my own using a Chinese brand EXP GDC, which is quite cheap compared to stuff here and I didn't have to open up my laptop to use mPCI ports and I'm just using my express card port.

My setup is:

Dell XPS 1645

i7 Q720 @ 1.60 GHz

4GB ram

internal HD 4670 and external XFX FX 7750

So basically, I'm not experiencing that stuttering or anything (only in some games on high resolution), games seem to be working good. But the problem is the computer intermittently freezes while playing a game on the eGPU or it crashes. Any ideas?

Just wondering; the NGFF M.2 slots on the Haswell Lenovos, are those the ones compatible with eGPU or has it not been confirmed yet? Just took a look through the manual and I can't find (or missed) any clarification on what the slot supports.

be the first to find out :D

Hi all,

I'm wondering if the PSU I'm using with my eGPU setup is too weak- maybe someone here can confirm this for me.

I'm using an X230 with a PE4L 2.1, with a gtx 770 and a 400w FSP PSU that has two 12 volt rails, one with 17w and the other with 16w. It doesn't seem to be enough to drive an external display. If I plug in an external display and try to boot, it hangs before loading windows. If I plug in the display when already booted, it isn't recognized. Tried multiple cables, displays, and ports. Otherwise, I can boot normally and things work fine.

I was trying to make this setup as portable as possible, so I went with a PSU meant for mITX systems. Total wattage is well above the power demands of a gtx 770, or so I thought.

I've also noticed that performance appears to be a little lower than it should be. Borderlands 2 was giving ~30-50 fps.

Do I need to figure out another PSU solution? Are there other reasons this might be happening?

Thanks!

-Lenovo x230, i7 3520m, 4gb RAM, gtx 770 2gb, FSP 400w psu, PE4L 2.1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.