eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Could you please give me the exact link, I cant find it

- - - Updated - - -

I read the post but I did not find anywhere any help on how to add an eGPU for my Acer Aspire 4720 ?? Please could you help me by giving me the specific link ?

Could you please give me the exact link, I cant find it

- - - Updated - - -

I read the post but I did not find anywhere any help on how to add an eGPU for my Acer Aspire 4720 ?? Please could you help me by giving me the specific link ?

Acer 4720 isn't listed in existing implementations list. Meaning, refer to the general guidelines at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html#post27126 to get you started. Upon doing a successful implementation consider doing a writeup. You'll be the first to do so for that system. There are plenty of experts on here who can help you along if you get stuck BUT keep in mind this is a DIY project. Some computing skill is required to get a successful outcome.

I had a deal to upgrade my now newly expensive 7970 (Litecoin mining jumped the price) to a 290 for 100$, but I don't see anyone who got it to work yet (Only one tried tho).

My 7970 gives me around 9500 graphics score at 3dmark11 at stock and that's about the same scores I see with a desktop PCI 3.0 16x (example: AMD Radeon HD 7970 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2500K Processor,ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 and that's with 30% OC, AMD Radeon HD 7970 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2550K Processor,ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 with a 10% OC), which is awesome, would you think I can expect the same from a R9 290?

Edit: Ok someone just bought it from me at 400$, want to get a 290 soon.

@coolioboy23 Well it seems that you have a GM965, with Intel GMA iGPU and no dGPU as most of notebooks (if I'm not wrong). Now it looks like you have an Expresscard slot, which is handy to put in a eGPU setup (rather than opening your notebook and hook it inside).

You probably could make a PE4L-2.1,@x1, maybe @x2 but that is more technical for me. Hope I helped.

@coolioboy23 Well it seems that you have a GM965, with Intel GMA iGPU and no dGPU as most of notebooks (if I'm not wrong). Now it looks like you have an Expresscard slot, which is handy to put in a eGPU setup (rather than opening your notebook and hook it inside).

You probably could make a PE4L-2.1,@x1, maybe @x2 but that is more technical for me. Hope I helped.

Yeah I figured it out today that I do have an expresscard slot which is too good, in general i will be needing the setup with an express card adapter.post-21012-14494996736379_thumb.jpg

I had a deal to upgrade my now newly expensive 7970 (Litecoin mining jumped the price) to a 290 for 100$, but I don't see anyone who got it to work yet (Only one tried tho).

My 7970 gives me around 9500 graphics score at 3dmark11 at stock and that's about the same scores I see with a desktop PCI 3.0 16x (example: AMD Radeon HD 7970 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2500K Processor,ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 and that's with 30% OC, AMD Radeon HD 7970 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2550K Processor,ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 with a 10% OC), which is awesome, would you think I can expect the same from a R9 290?

Edit: Ok someone just bought it from me at 400$, want to get a 290 soon.

$400 for a HD7970. Bitcoin mining must be great business. Heard that HD7950 units have gone up considerably in price too. AMD cards are more pci-e efficient than NVidia cards. It's then not surprised the desktop 3dmark11 gpu scores and your notebook differ by a small margin since the only penalty will be that from bandwidth limitation.

@Tech Inferno Fan

Hi sorry to be a pain but I have all my parts now and I am having the exact same problem Ramizs had with his 8440 (link).

Just wondering if anyone has figured out a fix since then. Otherwise it would seem I need setup 1.3. If this is the case just PM

me how I buy it :(.

From the link is it a error 43 with a NVidia card? Yes, Setup 1.x can solve that if it's due to the NVidia card initialization. Details of how to acquire it are on the Setup 1.x page.

Yeah I figured it out today that I do have an expresscard slot which is too good, in general i will be needing the setup with an express card adapter.[ATTACH]10010[/ATTACH]

If you have an expresscard slot then I recommend you purchase a PE4L-EC060A 2.1b instead of a PE4H 2.4. Reason is the former allows a Gen2 link when paired with a Sandy Bridge or newer sytem. Your system is a poor eGPU candidate (no Optimus-compatible Intel iGPU, no x1 2.0 link) so while performance will be better than the GM965 intel graphics, it will not be significantly slower than the x1.2Opt possible on a newer system.

I recommend you review the systems at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list-%5Bthin-light%5D.html#post57159 and consider upgrading to a 12.5" HP 2560P/2570P, 14" Lenovo E420 or Dell Vostro 3450, 15" HP 4530s or Lenovo E520/T520/T540 or Dell 3550/3560/E6520/E6530.

Hi guys, I have noticed that there are a lot of frames tearing when I play games with the v-sync off. Is it because I didn't use the setup 1.x? Because I only disable my dGPu from my bios.

In previous posts you've confirmed running Gen2 speed. You also have no error 12. Setup 1.x cannot assist you any further to get better performance from your i7-3630QM 2.4 Lenovo Y580 + AMD R9 280X OC @ x1.2 .

However, it would be worthwhile starting a new thread to give the Lenovo Y580 representation along with your benchmark results. A comparison can then be made against existing ones in the Implementations list to ensure you are within expected ballpack. That then ensuring there are no other factors handicapping performance.

hey Nando4 I didn't get what you meant to say. What does that "B" mean after you said PE4L-EC060A 2.1 in your previous reply. Please could you explain a bit

I quote @Tech Inferno Fan : "purchase a PE4L-EC060A 2.1b instead of a PE4H 2.4"

He meant that you should buy the PE4L-EC060A for best performance, this will fit into your EC-slot (Expresscard slot).

I quote @Tech Inferno Fan : "purchase a PE4L-EC060A 2.1b instead of a PE4H 2.4"

He meant that you should buy the PE4L-EC060A for best performance, this will fit into your EC-slot (Expresscard slot).

hey jacobsson I know this, just want to know what does that "b" stand for after you have written 2.1 in the above reply form you.

And second thing I would like to discuss is that if I buy PE4L-EC060A I will just get somewhat, I would infact say I would get a barely improved performance as I would then have to use a PCI Express X1 graphic card. That is completely okay. But will a PCI Express X1 graphic card be be okay if I want to play games like NFS Rivals or GTA V ?? If Yes Please suggest me the best PCI Express X1 graphic.

- - - Updated - -

hey jacobsson I know this, just want to know what does that "b" stand for after you have written 2.1 in the above reply form you.

And second thing I would like to discuss is that if I buy PE4L-EC060A I will just get somewhat, I would infact say I would get a barely improved performance as I would then have to use a PCI Express X1 graphic card. That is completely okay. But will a PCI Express X1 graphic card be be okay if I want to play games like NFS Rivals or GTA V ?? If Yes Please suggest me the best PCI Express X1 graphic.

- - - Updated - -

First of all according to your system specs. I'd say that you'll never be able to run GTA V at any good FPS, since your CPU is too weak. Your T2370 is on average 1400 points in 3DMark06. You'll need a new laptop/notebook to play GTA V :(

I'm going to try to answer your questions.

Regarding the 'b' in PE4L V2.1b, it's the latest revision of the PE4L adapter circuit board (I don't think they sell older versions of v2.1), why are you asking?

Your second questions is whether you should buy a PCIe 16x card or not?

Yes and no.

No, you won't have any benefits of a more powerful card with your current system since your CPU will be the bottleneck.

If you keep your system will only be able to play older games and then I'd go for a something inexpensive like a GTX650ti.

Yes, If you buy a new laptop/notebook.

Then I would recommend getting a GTX670 from eBay, I'm pretty confident I'll will render GTA V in pretty decent frame rates (according to this site they predict GTX480 as reference).

First of all according to your system specs. I'd say that you'll never be able to run GTA V at any good FPS, since your CPU is too weak. Your T2370 is on average 1400 points in 3DMark06. You'll need a new laptop/notebook to play GTA V :(

I'm going to try to answer your questions.

Regarding the 'b' in PE4L V2.1b, it's the latest revision of the PE4L adapter circuit board (I don't think they sell older versions of v2.1), why are you asking?

Your second questions is whether you should buy a PCIe 16x card or not?

Yes and no.

No, you won't have any benefits of a more powerful card with your current system since your CPU will be the bottleneck.

If you keep your system will only be able to play older games and then I'd go for a something inexpensive like a GTX650ti.

Yes, If you buy a new laptop/notebook.

Then I would recommend getting a GTX670 from eBay, I'm pretty confident I'll will render GTA V in pretty decent frame rates (according to this site they predict GTX480 as reference).

Okay, @jacobsson so you mean to say that the image (Please see the attachment below) post-21012-14494996763172_thumb.jpgis a PE4L V2.1b if I am not wrong.

Second thing if I wont have any benefits of a PCIe 16x card because my CPU will be a bottleneck then I would like to ask you if by any luck is there a way out that I could possibly to some extent upgrade my CPU ??

And last, okay so now this is a bit long explanation but I can play GTA Sandreas and also NFS Most Wanted(Yes I know it works with very bad frame rates but I would like to say it works although) on my laptop currently without any graphic card so maybe there should be a possibility that I could be able to play atleast NFS Rivals with a barely satisfactory FPS after I add an eGPU ?? What do say ??

Okay, @jacobsson so you mean to say that the image (Please see the attachment below) [ATTACH]10019[/ATTACH]is a PE4L V2.1b if I am not wrong.

Second thing if I wont have any benefits of a PCIe 16x card because my CPU will be a bottleneck then I would like to ask you if by any luck is there a way out that I could possibly to some extent upgrade my CPU ??

And last, okay so now this is a bit long explanation but I can play GTA Sandreas and also NFS Most Wanted(Yes I know it works with very bad frame rates but I would like to say it works although) on my laptop currently without any graphic card so maybe there should be a possibility that I could be able to play atleast NFS Rivals with a barely satisfactory FPS after I add an eGPU ?? What do say ??

If you're about to buy a PE4L, you don't have to worry since you'll see its name on the site :)

You can probably upgrade the CPU, it seems that you have a PPGA478 socket,, but I don't know if yours is soldered or no. And even if so, the upgrade benefits are negligeable.

If you can run NFS Most Wanted then yes adding a eGPU would boost the improvements...Of how much? Maybe 70%+ or even 80%. I guess you should be able to play NFS Rivals at decent frames (around 30) on low settings etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, @jacobsson so you mean to say that the image (Please see the attachment below) [ATTACH]10019[/ATTACH]is a PE4L V2.1b if I am not wrong.

Yes, the picture shows a PE4L v2.1b.

There will be no use of upgrading the CPU since what I can see you might have the best for your system.

I'd go for a PE4L 2.1b -EC and the inexpensive 650ti and give NFS Rivals a go (I'll definitely run smoother), in future you can always move your eGPU to a better system.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, the picture shows a PE4L v2.1b.

There will be no use of upgrading the CPU since what I can see you might have the best for your system.

I'd go for a PE4L 2.1b -EC and the inexpensive 650ti and give NFS Rivals a go (I'll definitely run smoother), in future you can always move your eGPU to a better system.

Thank you @ Jacobsson you gave me the best info. Cleared all me doubts. You definitely rock bro. Appreciated. Thank you.

Now the only thing I am left with, is with checking out whether PE4L v2.1b would be easily available in the Indian market so that I could purchase it hand to hand as it is too expensive for me purchasing it online.

Hey and one more thing will it be okay if I use a 54mm pci Express card intead of the 34mm pci Express card in my eGPU setup ??? Will I get some improved performance if I use a 54mm pci Express card compared to the 34mm pci Express card ??

@cheRRymonk, are you hotplugging the eGPU after windows welcome screen, or from the start? Just make sure that you have yellow and green light when you're plugging it not the red light. Did you run a PCI compaction, or DSDT override?

Nevermind... It was a faulty videocard so I brought it back to the store. Now I bought GTX 560TI and everything is working now :) The only question I have is how to turn x1.2 setup on my Lifebook T900? Is it even possible? I did not find any info on it's expresscard slot speed. I don't see speed settings in BIOS.

P.S. Just did a quick test playing Alan Wake. I know it's a poor console port but I was hope to get something more then 15-20 fps on low settings =/ Probably I missed something. GPU-Z show me PCIE 1.1 x16 @ x1.1 1. How do I know if optimus is working? I installed 331.82 WHQL driver.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.