Tech Inferno Fan

My sepcs:

Computer: Macbook pro 13" Late 2013

Egpu: PE4H V3.2

Nvidia gtx 760 2gb

Sonnet Expresscard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

500watt psu

Windows 7

I find recently that I have to leave my egpu running 24/7 or somehow im going to end up spending hours upon hours trying to get it to boot. I have no idea why it's not booting into my external graphics card or recognizing it. I've tried turning everything on then starting computer, waiting for windows to boot then plugging in the floppy disk, unplugging re plugging the psu. I just can't find a way to start it up consistently and this problem has only started to happen recently. When I first got this build working it was when I had windows 8.1 running and it was truely plug and play I could even restart my computer and it would recognize it every time. Then I had an issue with my computer re installing windows which stopped me from having this plug and play function and I would have to plug in the floppy disk into the sonnet when windows logo showed. Now recently I went back to windows 7 and cant seem to be able to get it to work consistently because my gpu isn't being recognized and I litterally sit there for hours upon end booting plugging restarting plugging rebooting starting nothing works consistently and after maybe the 20-30-50-100x it eventually works .

`

~If anyone has a similar build or any type of insight on this please let me know. This would be much appreciated

Hi guys, a friend has recommanded me this forum if I needed answers to my questions so.... RJgAJZdlsYzbjOrAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

I have an Acer Aspire V3-771g, with an Intel core i7, 8gb DDR3 of ram, an integrated video card (Intel HD graphic 4000) and a second (Nvidia GT710M with 2gb dedicated).

My question is the following: Can I upgrade my laptop with an EGPU ? My friend tell me that the perfect guy for this question is "Nando", but I'm totally open for all you answers guys !! RJgAJZdlsYzbjOrAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Thanks a lot,

Regards,

Biker63

Your model seems to have no external PCIe compatible interface such as Thunderbolt or ExpressCard.

Did have an internal mSATA slot that might be used as mPCIe slot, where you can connect an eGPU.

I think (others can confirm) you need to check your BIOS if you can switch mSATA port to mPCIe, since mSATA and mPCIe are electrically compatible but not guaranteed to be interchangeable (depends on motherboard).

If not, there is no way I know you can use a eGPU since you haven't any way to connect on.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello everybody, i was wondering if i can put an external graphic card on my laptop, (asus k55vd) i got a i5 3210m and a geforce 610m, i don't have a express card or thunderbolt , and i'm pretty sure i haven't got a free mini pci express, i have seen that i can remove my wifi card to put a pe4c PM100C v2.0 or pe4h or a pe4L

but i don't want to forgot some important things so if anyone can help me on all of this, it would be nice,

(Tomorrow i would open my laptop and see wich mini pci i can choose and how i can put the pe4XX (i haven't the tools yet i'm at school).

I have search in google for a lot things but i still some question .. :

=> I need an monitor if i put an egpu ? i have seen that sometime we can't play on the laptop screen or we loose in quality ?

=> Nvidia seems to be much better for egpu even with my computer :/ ?

=> Does we have other pci on our laptop ? Cause i have a pci for my card reader in my laptop but i don't know the speed or anything, does the speed limit in a pci ( for example my wifi who use a pci ) is high ennough to put a good gpu ?

=> And does we have other important thing that i have maybe forgot ?

( sorry from my english, i'm french but we haven't got any forums for eGpu, not a lot of french people know about eGpu, even my teacher in my study (informatics^^) don't know about and was laughing in front of me lol )

thanx to people who take their time to answer me.

In your model I can't find any reference to PCIe compatible external or internal interface such as Thunderbolt, mSATA/mPCIe or ExpressCard.

Without such an interface you can't connect a eGPU to your laptop.

Better you ask to Asus to be sure if there is something.

Hi All,

Been reading the forums for quite a while now and decided to make an account and ask a few questions.

I would love to add a eGPU to my current set up, however it's an AMD APU chipset. From what I understand there are very few people using AMD CPU's for their set up here. Is there any specific reason for this (not looking for the typical AMD vs Intel war here)?

The laptop I'm using doesn't have a express card slot but it does have a rather accessible mPCI slot.

Samsung NP355V5C-A01US

AMD A10-4600M

8GB DDR3

750 GB

Would it be possible to add a eGPU to this laptop using the mPCI slot and is there anybody on the forum that tried adding a eGPU with a similar system?

PS: My apologies if this question has been asked before, tried browsing for answers but couldn't really find any.

Thanks in advanced!

Hi All,

Been reading the forums for quite a while now and decided to make an account and ask a few questions.

I would love to add a eGPU to my current set up, however it's an AMD APU chipset. From what I understand there are very few people using AMD CPU's for their set up here. Is there any specific reason for this (not looking for the typical AMD vs Intel war here)?

The laptop I'm using doesn't have a express card slot but it does have a rather accessible mPCI slot.

Samsung NP355V5C-A01US

AMD A10-4600M

8GB DDR3

750 GB

Would it be possible to add a eGPU to this laptop using the mPCI slot and is there anybody on the forum that tried adding a eGPU with a similar system?

PS: My apologies if this question has been asked before, tried browsing for answers but couldn't really find any.

Thanks in advanced!

Possible? Yes, has it been done before? No, there are no AMD trinity based existing eGPU implementations at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#post89707 . Maybe yours will be the first? The disadvantages of the AMD platform is you'd never be able to get an internal LCD mode created by NVidia Optimus or LucidLogix Virtu. Either of those drivers/software require an Intel iGPU which of course your AMD system would not have. It means too you'd not get to enjoy x1 pci-e compression provided by the NVidia Optimus drivers.

Therefore you may consider offloading your system for a better Intel-based eGPU candidate listed at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list.html#post57511 .

Hi guys,

I'm looking forward to buy this new adapter and give it some tests. Before I buy it, can someone clarify few things for me?

The setup will be following:

1) ThinkPad X220 with latest BIOS and 2x 4 GB of RAM (in future maybe 2x 8 GB if it works)

2) Gigabyte HD 7950 (3 GB)

3) PE4C

Is there any reason, why this shouldn't work together? I plan to use power brick (220 W), which is in the package, but not for hardcore gaming. Main purpose of this is to drive 2x 27" 2560x1440 for some basic Photoshop and 2D CAD stuff, which current HD 3000 isn't capable of at all.

Thank you in advance

Hi guys!

My first post. First of all, excellent work everyone and thumbs up for all your effort! I have a question regarding pcie 2.0. In the first page of this thread it says Intel 5 series does not provide pcie 2.0 but checking Intel's website it says it does. Check here [url=http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/mainstream-chipsets/mobile-chipset-hm55.html]Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset[/url] and compare to the matrix on side one.

"Offers up to 2.5GT/s for fast access to peripheral devices and networking with up to 6 PCI Express* 2.0 x1 ports, configurable as x2 and x4 depending on motherboard designs."

I/O Chipset
PCIe 1.0 (2.5GT/s) lanes
PCIe 2.0 (5GT/s) lanes
PCIe 3.0 (~10GT/s) lanes
x1 x1E x1.Opt x2/x4 x2E x2.Opt x1 x1.2Opt x2/x4 (TB) x1 x1.3Opt x2/x4 (TB)
AMD RS* Y1 N N ? N N N N N N N N
NVIDIA MCP* Y1 N N ? N N N N N N N N
Intel ICH7M Y Y3 N Y5 Y4 N N N N N N N
Intel ICH8M Y Y3 N Y5 Y4 N N N N N N N
Intel ICH9M Y Y3 Y2,8 Y5 Y4 N2 N N N N N N
Intel Series-5(1st-gen i-core) Y N Y2,9 Y5 N N2 N N N N N N
Intel Series-6(2nd-gen i-core) Y N Y2 N6 N N26 Y Y2 Y6 N N N
Intel Series-7(3rd-gen i-core) Y N Y2 N6 N N26 Y Y2 Y6 N7 N7 N7

I read a few pages here [url=http://web.archive.org/web/20120217075536/http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/397667-lets-figure-out-how-make-diy-vidock-115.html]Lets figure out how to make a DIY ViDock - Page 115[/url] where the issue is discussed but never found a clear answer if the HM55 runs at pcie 1.0 or 2.0.

Anyways, bought a PE4C and hooked it up using one mpcie slot and attached a GTX570 to the eGPU adapter. Using "3DMark 11" it scored P3082. Is this what I should expect? Is it worth trying to find another mpcie slot by removing something else on the mobo? I did not see any obvious additional slot when I was attaching the first one.

Feedback appreciated :)

My rig: Bplus model Name PE4C-PM100CV2.0(PCIex16 Adapter) Item# 281411684919

System Environment

Intel HM55 chip set No express card slot available ASUS N53JQ 15.6" Full HD GeForce GT425,Core i7-740QM (1st generation 5 series),16GB RAM

Windows7 64bit Dell external 24" monitor

I have checked in my laptop, if i remove my wifi adapter, i have a free mPcie, next week i bought a p4ec and i have a on old nvidia but if somebody can explain what i'm gonna need to do in the bios or to have a image on my laptop screen or an external screen ? how can i find that information ?

Unfortunately, it looks like I picked the wrong laptop to fiddle with. At least, according to this post, I better start get used to the performance I get right now.

"Furthermore, while the Series-5 chipset has pci-e 2.0 specced ports, the spec only extends to power management. The link speed is still pci-e 1.x's 2.5GT/s. In addition, you don't have an iGPU so couldn't run x1.Opt. Overall, a poor eGPU candidate system. You'd be better off upgrading to a Sandy/Ivy Bridge notebook with an iGPU so could get x1.2Opt performance with a NVidia Fermo/Keplar card."

That kinda answers my question I had above...

Hey guys,

I am looking at getting an refurbished lenovo g505s. the one without dual graphics. i have seen that the AMD A10-5750 performs somewhere around the same as the lower i7-4k's so i believe that i can avoid bottlenecking from the cpu. my question is if the lenovo has pcie gen 2 or 1. i would prefer gen 2. and another question is how would i be able to tell if the slots can be configured for more than one lane. a 2x slot would be great. a 4x would be ideal. i know that i have one i can use since the bluetooth module is in one. i would gladly remove it. i just need to know if it has gen two and if they can be configured for more lanes(if so how?)

Hi. I have recently purchased a HP Elitebook 820 and was looking at setting up an egpu for it. It has both a mpcie port and ngff, and although my research shows the ngff is most like only sata, M.2 NGFF SSD Compatibility List | My Digital Discount, I was wondering if there was any definitive way to tell? And if it was pcie what setup would gain best performance - would optimus engage over the ngff? and if not how would ngff compare with mpcie at 1.2opt.

Thanks

Hi. I have recently purchased a HP Elitebook 820 and was looking at setting up an egpu for it. It has both a mpcie port and ngff, and although my research shows the ngff is most like only sata, M.2 NGFF SSD Compatibility List | My Digital Discount, I was wondering if there was any definitive way to tell? And if it was pcie what setup would gain best performance - would optimus engage over the ngff? and if not how would ngff compare with mpcie at 1.2opt.

Thanks

HP have made a point of introducing PCIe SSDs in their just released top-of-the-line ZBook Gen2 range. They refer to it as "Turbo PCIe SSD", a x2 2.0 link. It's therefore very unlikely their lesser 820 G1 would have that performance feature and more likely that it's a mSATA slot. You could confirm by slotting in the wifi card and seeing if it's detected and show in device manager.

In which case, you're likely route to getting an eGPU working on the 820 G1 would be via the mPCIe wifi slot in a similar way as done at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/2158-%5Bguide%5D-13-sony-vaio-vpc-z2-svz13-gtx780%404gbps-c-mpcie2-pe4l-2-1b-win7-8-a.html#post27918 . See http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/6643-exp-gdc-v6-v7-discussion.html#post88642 for the most cost effective way to do it.

Would be great to see a HP 820 G1 with a working eGPU. It's Intel HD4400 graphics will engage x1 pci-e compression and Optimus features if used with a NVidia GTS450 or newer. You'd be using a 4Gbps+c-mPCIe2 link, previously referred to as x1.2Opt. That's a 4Gbps mPCIe2 x1 2.0 link with NVidia x1 pci-e compression.

• Thumbs Up 2

No sorry, I was planning to buy a wattmeter but since my egpu is stable it's not a priority anymore.

If that can help you I tried 3dmark11 with your GPU's clock : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4850HQ,Apple Inc. Mac-2BD1B31983FE1663

@thomas_price1 , you have one of the best GTX970's on the market ATM: The MSI Gaming GTX970 4G card : GTX 970 Comparison: STRIX vs MSI Gaming vs Gigabyte G1 . It has the power target set to 200W with a 10% limit (220W lmax). This is far beyond the reference power limits (145W + 6%). Combined with great cooling, thermal throttling isn't going to be an issue. It means it can boost to higher levels. This explains why you are obliterating other GTX970 results.

I have checked in my laptop, if i remove my wifi adapter, i have a free mPcie, next week i bought a p4ec and i have a on old nvidia but if somebody can explain what i'm gonna need to do in the bios or to have a image on my laptop screen or an external screen ? how can i find that information ?

Here http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7969-pre-purchase-faq-draft-input-requested.html point 4 you can find answer about using internal monitor.

Your model seems to have no external PCIe compatible interface such as Thunderbolt or ExpressCard.

Did have an internal mSATA slot that might be used as mPCIe slot, where you can connect an eGPU.

I think (others can confirm) you need to check your BIOS if you can switch mSATA port to mPCIe, since mSATA and mPCIe are electrically compatible but not guaranteed to be interchangeable (depends on motherboard).

If not, there is no way I know you can use a eGPU since you haven't any way to connect on..

Hi davide445, thanks for your answer.

I will take a look at it tonight. You sure that I really don't have an mPcie port ? I know that I can add an other hard drive, there is a slot available for this.

Nevertheless, thank you again.

Hey guys,

I am looking at getting an refurbished lenovo g505s. the one without dual graphics. i have seen that the AMD A10-5750 performs somewhere around the same as the lower i7-4k's so i believe that i can avoid bottlenecking from the cpu. my question is if the lenovo has pcie gen 2 or 1. i would prefer gen 2. and another question is how would i be able to tell if the slots can be configured for more than one lane. a 2x slot would be great. a 4x would be ideal. i know that i have one i can use since the bluetooth module is in one. i would gladly remove it. i just need to know if it has gen two and if they can be configured for more lanes(if so how?)

Hi davide445, thanks for your answer.

I will take a look at it tonight. You sure that I really don't have an mPcie port ? I know that I can add an other hard drive, there is a slot available for this.

Nevertheless, thank you again.

mSATA will be for new HDD/SSD. Problem is if can be used as mPCIe.

So far I'm happy with the pe4c. It feels solid built and does what BPlus says it would. Just a comment to the first post; Bplus recommended no more powerful GPU than GTX570, so that's what I got.

My issue is that I have a first gen i7 hence slow pcie bus speed. I'm struggling to find a second pcie slot but so far I haven't found any. Sent a request to Asus as well. Let's hope they can give me some hints. As far as I could see there are no more visible mPCIE slots on the mobo.

Intel HM55 chip set

ASUS N53JQ 15.6" Full HD

GeForce GT425,Core i7-740QM (1st generation 5 series),16GB RAM

I'm thinking of upgrading my base hardware (from an HP ProBook 6460b) to an HP ProBook 640 G1 Notebook PC. Three questions:

1. I checked the quick specs, and it says it has a Smart Card reader, but no mention of an Express Card slot. I checked the service guide and it does mention ExpressCard, but has "(depending on the configuration)" in the component title. Can anyone confirm if this laptop model supports PCMCIA / ExpressCard for our eGPUs?

Quick Specs: HP ProBook 640 G1 Notebook PC HP ProBook 650 G1 Notebook PC (QuickSpecs/c04126035.pdf)

Data Sheet: http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/html/pdfs/US_CA_English_HP_ProBook_640_Datasheet.pdf

Service Guide: http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04030196-1.pdf

2. From a value POV, maybe the i7-4700MQ is the best CPU for this, but am curious to know what's the most powerful chip that I can put in this laptop? Will an i7-4910MQ work (Max TDP = 47W)?

PassMark - Intel Core i7-4910MQ @ 2.90GHz - Price performance comparison

3. I noticed the Haswell chips support PCI Express 3.0. Is this backwards compatible with our Express 2.0 eGPU cards?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.