eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

thanks a lot Tech Inferno Fan and dan i will be considering the upgrade to windows 7 but im not that keen on it my laptop seems to have a lot of problems when i loaded windows 7 to it the other day... i guess i will be playing around with the dsdt override first some more before actually upgrading it to window 7.

thanks a lot! appreciate the hep given! :)

please continue helping me though :tranquillity:

before install Windows 7 recommend upgrade bios

and ,yes it will be way much better to run instead of vista

the point is that you have to make it work with 4gb,ram,an x64 bits O.S and enjoy the x1.1 optimus performance

you are welcome!

just post your advances and will try to help you !

Remember to install an x64 bits O.S versión!

using >4gb ram mean using x64 os bits and x64 driver ghrapics card wich could be an incentive for a low spec.system.i recommend to do that.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html#post102517

NOW i sugest a few things to increase the performance of your egpu setup:

if your egpu adapter alows x2 link configuration it could be 15-30%more performance but with the disvantage of spending some extra cash

try upgrading your dual core with a better one(on ebay you should find many these days at a very low Price)

use optimizing tool like razer game booster to minimize the usage of the resource of your system

i was having a good games experience with my old Fujitsu amilopi by upgrading the P7350 weak processor to an T9900 an making an x1.2 link configuration until i could by a laptop with an i7 second-gen processor.Good luck!

Thanks again, but I have no intention to further upgrade my old, half working laptop. I've already upgraded the CPU, RAM and storage (SSD) so not much more to do. I was hoping for en eGPU that allowed me to play on the internal screen so that I could bring the laptop and a small custom built case with eGPU and PSU but having to use an external screen makes it less alluring. Don't know if the computer would support 2x but there is a free mPCIe so it could be possible at least and if I could have used the internal screen I might have gone for it.

I'm going to keep my setup for my next laptop, but I've noticed that ExpressCard is not so widely available with todays "THIN!!" craze.

@useafo, I don't know really.

I have the PE4L, which as I said handled like a champ a 1.2Opt with a GTX660 and after a GTX770!

But I didn't try the PE4C yet. And lately I didn't lurk much the diy-EGPU forum, but I think that some folk managed to get it working. In any case, either the PE4C can't handle the bandwith of something above a GTX550Ti or it is the GTX660 that is faulty.

But the reference you got isn't very accurate. It was already there when I bought the PE4L, and the GTX660 was not the best thing. Although I managed to get a 1.2Opt link!

But since Tech Inferno Fan pointed a hardware issue with the GPU, I strongly believe you should try to get something done in this direction.

Hi everyone,

I am Johnny. I have read through some of the pages in this thread, however I couldn't find anyone has the same problem as mine. I have a:

13 Macbook pro R 2014,

with Intel Iris,

2.6 Ghz Intel core i5,

8gb ddr3

running windows 7 64

EXP GDC v7

eGPU evga gtx770

sonnet expresscard pro thunderbolt adapter

My problem is after I have install everything, my macbook shows that gtx 770 " code 12, does not have enough resources". I don't know what can I do to fix this problem.

Thank you for reading my post

Johnny

P.S. I am not an computer expert.

Hi everyone,

I am Johnny. I have read through some of the pages in this thread, however I couldn't find anyone has the same problem as mine. I have a:

13 Macbook pro R 2014,

with Intel Iris,

2.6 Ghz Intel core i5,

8gb ddr3

running windows 7 64

EXP GDC v7

eGPU evga gtx770

sonnet expresscard pro thunderbolt adapter

My problem is after I have install everything, my macbook shows that gtx 770 " code 12, does not have enough resources". I don't know what can I do to fix this problem.

Thank you for reading my post

Johnny

P.S. I am not an computer expert.

Do a UEFI installation of Win8.1. Win8.1 and UEFI overcoming error 12 problems as seen at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#Thunderbolt .

entzoe outlining how to easily get Bootcamp 5.x onto the system to do the magic: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7607-%5Bguide%5D-2011-mac-mini-gtx780%4010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-a.html#post104479

Sonnet Echo Express Pro on ebay

Anyone with a TB1 system looking to install up to 150W card (GTX660, GTX970) without needing any risers or external PSUs might be interested in the 150W Sonnet Echo Express Pro on ebay. Currently at US$212: Sonnet Echo Express Pro Expansion Enclosure | eBay .

You can see how easy it was for floppah to get it all going: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6088-%5Bguide%5D-2011-13-macbook-pro-gtx660%4010gbps-tb1-sonnet-ee-pro-win8-1-osx-10-9-1-a.html#post84485

• Thumbs Up 1

Do a UEFI installation of Win8.1. Win8.1 and UEFI overcoming error 12 problems as seen at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#Thunderbolt .

entzoe outlining how to easily get Bootcamp 5.x onto the system to do the magic: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7607-%5Bguide%5D-2011-mac-mini-gtx780%4010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-a.html#post104479

Anyone with a TB1 system looking to install up to 150W card (GTX660, GTX970) without needing any risers or external PSUs might be interested in the 150W Sonnet Echo Express Pro on ebay. Currently at US$212: Sonnet Echo Express Pro Expansion Enclosure | eBay .

You can see how easy it was for floppah to get it all going: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6088-%5Bguide%5D-2011-13-macbook-pro-gtx660%4010gbps-tb1-sonnet-ee-pro-win8-1-osx-10-9-1-a.html#post84485

This really helpful for me, considering I am using express card adapter on a macbook pro 2014 with TB. However as you said Sonnet Echo Express it install up to 150W card without needing any risers, I am using a gtx 770 which require 230W. Can I put a riser and play with my gtx 770 on Sonnet Echo Express Pro?

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

This really helpful for me, considering I am using express card adapter on a macbook pro 2014 with TB. However as you said Sonnet Echo Express it install up to 150W card without needing any risers, I am using a gtx 770 which require 230W. Can I put a riser and play with my gtx 770 on Sonnet Echo Express Pro?

Thank you

No a riser doesn't help. You get 75W by one 6pin cable which can be connected to the graphics card. You also get 75W provided by the PCIe slot. A powered riser is supposed to provide additional power if the PCIe slot is limited in its power output (= less than 75W).

You need an additional PSU to provide enough power for the GPU. But than it is compulsory to provide ALL 6pin and 8pin power from the additional PSU. Do not mix power of two different 6/8pin sources!!!!!11111111eleven

You might be able to use a powered riser + PSU but without the Sonnet PSU to power the GPU and the Echo Express. I managed to do that with my AKiTiO!

No a riser doesn't help. You get 75W by one 6pin cable which can be connected to the graphics card. You also get 75W provided by the PCIe slot. A powered riser is supposed to provide additional power if the PCIe slot is limited in its power output (= less than 75W).

You need an additional PSU to provide enough power for the GPU. But than it is compulsory to provide ALL 6pin and 8pin power from the additional PSU. Do not mix power of two different 6/8pin sources!!!!!11111111eleven

You might be able to use a powered riser + PSU but without the Sonnet PSU to power the GPU and the Echo Express. I managed to do that with my AKiTiO!

Thank you! I have done a bit of research on AKiTiO, and noticed it has a TB2 which express pro is TB1, I might go for a AKiTio. However I still need to do a bit more research on how to setup a AKiTiO. I've read your post [h=2][GUIDE] 2013 13" Macbook Pro + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1[/h]I have one question:

does your post suitable for my case, if yes I will follow your post and build an exact same one!

MANY THANKS

Is it possible to run an external GPU on a Macbook Pro with dedicated graphics (650M) on Windows 8.1 in BIOS mode? I'm thinking about testing my Akitio Thunder2 + 970 on our rMBP, while I wait for my G46VW Thunderbolt mobo to arrive. Also to see how it performs on TB2 vs TB1.

Done in http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-guides/6345-%5Bguide%5D-2012-15-macbook-pro-retina-gtx760%404gbps-tbec2-pe4l-2-1b-win7.html#post86835 . Now that's with eGPU hardware that has a PCI Reset Delay mechanism. Without that facility BIOS mode can sometimes see the Macbook completely power off on boot upon detecting a eGPU. Though I did see a novel approach of plugging in the AKiTiO internal yellow/black cable at the OPTION key bootmenu to circumvent such problems.

@All, quite a few more Macbook TB implementations added to http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#Thunderbolt as part of a re-org of the eGPU content.

Hello!

Regarding this note:

"11-6-2013: Recommend purchase a GTX660 or GTX560Ti over a GTX750/GTX650 series if PCI space is tight. The GTX750/GTX650-series has the unusual requirement of 256MB+32MB of PCI space making them more difficult to accomodate. This differs to the other NVidia cards that require 128MB+32MB+16MB."

What Nvidia video card shorter than 8.25" in length has the smaller PCI memory block requirement? Both the GTX 660 and GTX 560 Ti are 9" long or more. GTX 750, GTX 650 are short, but have the large memory block requirement.

Equipment:

Thinkpad T430, i5 3230M, QM77 chipset, 4GB main memory, integrated Intel HD4000 graphics only, Intel Centrino 2200 wireless. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Cooler Master Elite 110 mini-ITX case (this is the source of the max 8.25" video card length problem)

PE4L-EC060A v2.1b

I was playing around with a GTX 750 Ti card that I used in another build, and was able to get the set up to work as follows: boot laptop, power on PE4L/GTX750, then attach DVI video cable to GTX 750 Ti card. If I booted laptop with graphics card powered up, boot would hang before posting bios. If I turned on video card with cable attached, would get error 12. The GTX 750 Ti card is short, so I could get another one, but I really don't want to deal with either the disconnect/connect cable or DSDT override. I would like the dual screen capability of Nvidia cards. Pricing of used GTX 650 Ti cards (which are short) is perfect for me, but it sounds like I'd have the same memory allocation issue as the GTX 750 Ti? Would removing the wireless card help?

Thanks in advance!

RE: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-guides/2158-%5Bguide%5D-13-sony-vaio-vpc-z2-svz13-gtx780%404gbps-c-mpcie2-pe4l-2-1b-win7-8-a.html#post27918

Hallo

By the way, has anyone tried the PE4C V2.0 on the SVZ and geting the x16 Lanes..? I just wondering any performance impact using the PE4L 2.1 since it has a x1 Lanes than the PE4C V2.0 with x16 Lanes

Thanks

RE: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-guides/2158-%5Bguide%5D-13-sony-vaio-vpc-z2-svz13-gtx780%404gbps-c-mpcie2-pe4l-2-1b-win7-8-a.html#post27918

Hallo

By the way, has anyone tried the PE4C V2.0 on the SVZ and geting the x16 Lanes..? I just wondering any performance impact using the PE4L 2.1 since it has a x1 Lanes than the PE4C V2.0 with x16 Lanes

Thanks

PE4C V2.0 has a x2 2.0 capability wired to the x16 slot.

However, x2 2.0 on a mPCIe/EC equipped port would require the correct [p1+2], [p3+4], [p5+6], [p7+8] electrical port combo.

THEN the technical challenge just beings. To get a x2 2.0 link negotiated would need the firmware descriptor unlocked, a BIOS dump taken and then the BIOS modified using the Intel FITC utility to set the required port to x2 as opposed to the default x1. That is quite a technical and challenging process of which NOBODY has yet done as yet. SO challenging that I usually say that x2 via combining ports is no longer possible since Intel locked down that feature of the Series-6 chipset (2nd gen i-core) and thereafter. The locking was coincidentally done as they released Gen2 (pci-e 2.0) Southports.

• Thumbs Up 1

PE4C V2.0 has a x2 2.0 capability wired to the x16 slot.

However, x2 2.0 on a mPCIe/EC equipped port would require the correct [p1+2], [p3+4], [p5+6], [p7+8] electrical port combo.

THEN the technical challenge just beings. To get a x2 2.0 link negotiated would need the firmware descriptor unlocked, a BIOS dump taken and then the BIOS modified using the Intel FITC utility to set the required port to x2 as opposed to the default x1. That is quite a technical and challenging process of which NOBODY has yet done as yet. SO challenging that I usually say that x2 via combining ports is no longer possible since Intel locked down that feature of the Series-6 chipset (2nd gen i-core) and thereafter. The locking was coincidentally done as they released Gen2 (pci-e 2.0) Southports.

Hi Tech Inferno Fan

Thanks for the explanation

By the way, I'm still a little confused. If I see the Bplus website, there is already listed the new PE4C v2.1. Which one should I buy, a x1 PE4L 2.1b or x16 PE4C v2.1..? The one, that make me confused is the x1 or x16 socket on the adaptor ( and performance impact between x1 and x16 ). And which one you recomended me for my system since the price difference is not so big

Vaio SVZ131CHXXI

i7 3612QM

HM77 Chipset

Intel HD4000

Thanks for your help

Looking at the DIY express card eGPU would this work?

Just asking as I currently have this slate pc. It has the slot.

http://www.motioncomputing.com/downloads/User_Docs/J-Series/J3500_specs_US.pdf

But it only has a G1 i7 processor does that mean it's incompatible?

Hi guys, a friend has recommanded me this forum if I needed answers to my questions so.... RJgAJZdlsYzbjOrAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

I have an Acer Aspire V3-771g, with an Intel core i7, 8gb DDR3 of ram, an integrated video card (Intel HD graphic 4000) and a second (Nvidia GT710M with 2gb dedicated).

My question is the following: Can I upgrade my laptop with an EGPU ? My friend tell me that the perfect guy for this question is "Nando", but I'm totally open for all you answers guys !! RJgAJZdlsYzbjOrAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Thanks a lot,

Regards,

Biker63

Hi Tech Inferno Fan

Thanks for the explanation

By the way, I'm still a little confused. If I see the Bplus website, there is already listed the new PE4C v2.1. Which one should I buy, a x1 PE4L 2.1b or x16 PE4C v2.1..? The one, that make me confused is the x1 or x16 socket on the adaptor ( and performance impact between x1 and x16 ). And which one you recomended me for my system since the price difference is not so big

Vaio SVZ131CHXXI

i7 3612QM

HM77 Chipset

Intel HD4000

Thanks for your help

there is no impact performance regarding x1 and x16 sockets,ONLY if you can dou x2 configuration,wich is only alowed in chipset older than Intel 6 chipset series.in another words one hdmi input represent one lane of x16 no matter if the socket is x1 or x16.i like most the x16 sockets adapter since they give the graphics card more fisicall stability.wich is importatnt is that the adapter have gen2 functionality.take your time and choose the one that it has more advantage (cost,future proof,quality.....))

you can find all the information in this fórum.

Good luck!

• Thumbs Up 1

there is no impact performance regarding x1 and x16 sockets,ONLY if you can dou x2 configuration,wich is only alowed in chipset older than Intel 6 chipset series.in another words one hdmi input represent one lane of x16 no matter if the socket is x1 or x16.i like most the x16 sockets adapter since they give the graphics card more fisicall stability.wich is importatnt is that the adapter have gen2 functionality.take your time and choose the one that it has more advantage (cost,future proof,quality.....))

you can find all the information in this fórum.

Good luck!

Hi

Thanks

decided to buy the PE4L v2.1b since the PE4C v2.1 use flex cable

If we compare GPU scores to my TB1 @10Mbps, 'regular' clocked Zotac GTX 970:

Core clock 1,076 MHz vs 1,314 MHz

Memory bus clock 1,753 MHz vs 1,853 MHz

3Dmark06:

Result

Total of 24% higher

3Dmark Vant:

Result

21% higher GPU score

3Dmark11:

Result

35% higher GPU score

Fire Strike (11472 vs. 8872)

29% higher GPU score

I compared them wondering why there's that huge performance difference.

I concluded the dfference is in your GPU's clock more than the TB1 versus TB2 bandwidth:

Core clock 1,076 MHz vs 1,314 MHz (+22.1%)

Memory bus clock 1,753 MHz vs 1,853 MHz (+5.7%)

There may also be not-so-obvious power limits applied too that are further restricting performance.

No sorry, I was planning to buy a wattmeter but since my egpu is stable it's not a priority anymore.

If that can help you I tried 3dmark11 with your GPU's clock : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4850HQ,Apple Inc. Mac-2BD1B31983FE1663

So if we judge by that last result in 3DMark11, we can say that a GTX 970 on TB2 performs 18% faster than a GTX 970 on TB1. Although as Nando said, there could be other power limitations factoring in. And that's only a one test comparison.

I'll be interested to see how my and other's 970s compare.

Has anyone tested (other than brute performance) maxwell's behaviour in PCI-e intensive scenes, such as the well known grass scene in Crysis? How does Maxwell compare with Kepler in such circumstances?

Thanks.

Hello everybody, i was wondering if i can put an external graphic card on my laptop, (asus k55vd) i got a i5 3210m and a geforce 610m, i don't have a express card or thunderbolt , and i'm pretty sure i haven't got a free mini pci express, i have seen that i can remove my wifi card to put a pe4c PM100C v2.0 or pe4h or a pe4L

but i don't want to forgot some important things so if anyone can help me on all of this, it would be nice,

(Tomorrow i would open my laptop and see wich mini pci i can choose and how i can put the pe4XX (i haven't the tools yet i'm at school).

I have search in google for a lot things but i still some question .. :

=> I need an monitor if i put an egpu ? i have seen that sometime we can't play on the laptop screen or we loose in quality ?

=> Nvidia seems to be much better for egpu even with my computer :/ ?

=> Does we have other pci on our laptop ? Cause i have a pci for my card reader in my laptop but i don't know the speed or anything, does the speed limit in a pci ( for example my wifi who use a pci ) is high ennough to put a good gpu ?

=> And does we have other important thing that i have maybe forgot ?

( sorry from my english, i'm french but we haven't got any forums for eGpu, not a lot of french people know about eGpu, even my teacher in my study (informatics^^) don't know about and was laughing in front of me lol )

thanx to people who take their time to answer me.

Absolutely great news!!! I have solved my problems. It turned out that my EVGA GTX 660 was becoming faulty. So today I went to purchase another GTX 660, this time from ASUS, and it worked perfectly with Gen2 link. I'll be posting x1.2Opt performance as soon as possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.