eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

This is a short description of my laptop`s condition:

RAM: 8GB

EGPU: gtx670

And the problem is:

The gtx 670 works well when i use the inner LCD monitor.But when itry to switch to the additional monitor(which link to gtx 670),the Display driver just stopped,and the system just crush to blue :stop 0*00000116 nvlddmkm.sys.

I have tried different elder version of Display driver,but when i change Display driver i can not even use the inner LCD monitor,it just crushed when i get into the OS.

I really need you guys` help.Well,i am not a native English speaker,if you have answer,please describe it as simple as you can.

Thanks a lot.

Lenovo X220, 8GB ram, BIOS 1.39, 64GB mSATA SSD (will become 256GB), 320GB HDD

Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost, will be connected to external monitor trough DVI-I --> VGA adapter

I just ordered PE4C V2.0 package, can't wait to receive it! Asked to BPlus confirmation it's the hw bug free version (needed to be V2.1).

Just to be clear, in the current state of things, to connect an external GPU let's say a GTX 980 that has a TDP of 165W:

- No external PSU needed.

- If I wanted to connect it to a Macbook Pro via Thunderbolt, I would need to buy the ExpressCard version plus Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter?

I have been spending the last two days losing sleep bouncing back and forth between these forums. THAT interesting is this topic!

For the next Macbook will probably try to jump to the eGPU wagon : ).

Wanted to know if that is the way to go.

Thanks a lot to all of you guys pushing this forward by the way.

Just to be clear, in the current state of things, to connect an external GPU let's say a GTX 980 that has a TDP of 165W:

- No external PSU needed.

- If I wanted to connect it to a Macbook Pro via Thunderbolt, I would need to buy the ExpressCard version plus Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter?

I have been spending the last two days losing sleep bouncing back and forth between these forums. THAT interesting is this topic!

For the next Macbook will probably try to jump to the eGPU wagon : ).

Wanted to know if that is the way to go.

Thanks a lot to all of you guys pushing this forward by the way.

My adventure in eGPU is just starting since I ordered yesterday the last part.

Sharing my knowledge (other here are much more expert) having a Thunderbolt port you don't need a ExpressCard (EC) version. EC does have a lower bandwidth respect Thunderbolt so you will loose performances passing trough EC.

Here in the forum there is a thread dedicated at Thunderbolt eGPU I did suggest to read trough.

I've just ordered a Sapphire 7950 Boost to be used as eGPU.

I want now to order the EC connection kit, choosing among PE4C and EXP GDC.

I was to choose for EXP GDC due to the availability of the whole package, with also an enclosure. I have anyway difficulties finding the PCIe splitter.

PE4C is coming with 8pin-->2x8pin Y splitter that's exactly what I need.

If the base is't stable I can make without enclosure, my last concern is: the 7950 Boost does have a TDP of 225w, the AC adapter sold with PE4C can make it?

Appear that Dell DC-2 sold with EXP GDC can work with this GPU http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6643-exp-gdc-v6-discussion-30.html#post102981, want to be sure the same is for PE4C.

Also I'm in continental Europe, can I change the power plug provided with the AC adapter?

Yes you can try asking your yoybuy agent to provide you a UK EU style plug, they gave me one for free does not hurt to ask =)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Yes you can try asking your yoybuy agent to provide you a UK EU style plug, they gave me one for free does not hurt to ask =)

I ordered yesterday PE4C V2.0, they confirmed me the ac power adapter is compatible with European 220v/50hz standard so I will need just an USA->EU adapter for few bucks.

BPlus have not produced a fully certified Gen2-capable product with a detachabe mHDMI cable on the PM3N board. Saying that, I have success using a AMD 7970 card with a PE4H 2.4 + PCIEMM-060B at Gen2 speed on a HP 2570P, though a GTX670 failed. http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-142.html#post55765

Another T|I user, dan, bettering my result by getting his MSI GE620DX to run a Gen2 speed with a PE4H 2.4 + GTX750Ti PCIEMM-060B (mPCIe): http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7479-%5Bguide%5D-15-msi-ge620dx-gtx750ti%40x1-2opt-pe4h-2-4-mpcie-win7-64-a.html#post102604 . There's obviously a hit-and-miss in trying to duplicate his results.

For more discussion about a socketted mPCIe product see http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2958-pe4l-pm060a-mini-pcie-extender.html#post40824 .

Hallo Tech Inferno Fan

Before I buying a eGpu adapter, I need some enlightment about the pci lanes x4, x8, and x16

I am a little confused about that, since I used usually a pe4h with x16 lanes, and the pe4l if I am not mistaken just have x4 lanes. The problem is, I a little confused to buy a pe4l with x4 lanes or pe4c v2.0 with x16 lanes.

Is there will be any performance impact with these different adapter if I use something like GTX 7XX ..? And if you see my AIDA64 pcie controller, which lanes can I get ( x4 or x16 )..?

Thanks for your enlightment

post-25464-14494998406457_thumb.png

Just a quick question, what is everyone refering to when they mention "setup 1.x"?

It's pre-boot software necessary on *some* systems to allow use of an eGPU at it's highest possible performance: DIY eGPU Setup 1.30. In hindsight, given the amount of x1.2Opt or x1.Opt terms used it was not a good idea to use Setup 1.x naming. I'm now referring it to the latest version, Setup 1.30.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello,

I am trying to get an eGPU to work with my lenovo x220. I am using a PE4L v1.5 and a gtx550ti. For some reason, the computer is able to detect the card through the PE4L, but I am unable to use nvidia control panel or output to an external screen. The graphics card does not report any usage. However, when I use my brother's PE4L 2.1 it works perfectly. Can someone tell me what is wrong?

Thanks in advanced

Which GPU is compatible for Lenovo G560 using Express slot?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

OMG buddy try to do some little reading of topics posted by Nando4, guaranteed you can figure it out as I did for my Lenovo G500..good luck!

• Thumbs Up 1

OMG buddy try to do some little reading of topics posted by Nando4, guaranteed you can figure it out as I did for my Lenovo G500..good luck!

Bro. I just went to market for gtx 460 and gtx 560 Ti GPU but those people say this are very old GPUs better buy new GTX 210 how is it will it support ?

Sometimes only some WiFi modules are unlocked in the bios to be used. That can obviously cause trouble if you connect an egpu to this port.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

I am using Lenovo G560 which has express card slot and it has intel HD graphics right now, the GPU which are mentioned for this system is GTX 460 and GTX 560Ti, i suppose, but the problem is this GPUs are now not available in market may i know how to check which GPU will work for my system?

I have notebook (msi ge 60 0nc) withnout thunderbolt or free mini pci-e slot. Can i use mSata as mini pci-e?

This question is tough, it depends if your BIOS has whitelisted this slot which means it may not detect third party devices inserted in it and will give a halt during bootup and will give a message that "device is not supported please remove it"

Why not purchase en eGPU adapter and experiment with it, if it does not work resell it

This question is tough, it depends if your BIOS has whitelisted this slot which means it may not detect third party devices inserted in it and will give a halt during bootup and will give a message that "device is not supported please remove it"

Why not purchase en eGPU adapter and experiment with it, if it does not work resell it

Yes i am asking for egpu adapter only that which gpu will be compatible on egpu adapter using x1.Opt as i have 1st Genration i3 cpu

Yes i am asking for egpu adapter only that which gpu will be compatible on egpu adapter using x1.Opt as i have 1st Genration i3 cpu

Most probably the available egpu adapters are backwards compatible bud, if youll go with the EXP GDC V6/V7 you need to choose a card with a TDP rating below 200 Watts

Most probably the available egpu adapters are backwards compatible bud, if youll go with the EXP GDC V6/V7 you need to choose a card with a TDP rating below 200 Watts Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
will this gpu work with external adapters(which has express card slot option): - Gainward NVIDIA 2GB DDR3 GT610 2 GB DDR3 Graphics Card - Gainward : Flipkart.com - ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 Synergy Edition 2 GB DDR3 Graphics Card - ZOTAC : Flipkart.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.