eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Setup 1.x can't be used with UEFI Win8.1. Good news is that previous Macbook eGPU implementations indicate that UEFI Win8.x is pretty much plug'n'play : http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#Thunderbolt

Thanks for the quick reply.

I love the sound of PnP, but would I need the expresscard solution instead ? or does it work with the Thundertek ?

My Macbook is with the 650m dGPU.

Cheers!

I have completed assembling my eGPU setup comprising of [gtx680] + [PE4L] + [sonnet Echo Pro] + [2012 MBA] + [Windows 8.1]

The most beautiful thing is that it did not give any error (12/43,etc) on Win 8.1 (my initial attempt was on Win 8 which gave me error 12).

Also I've brought cooler master elite 120 case and modded it a bit to accomodate the bulging out of the GPU via cutting one side of the case and adding an acrylic sheet on it. Although its a full fledged case for mini ITX form factor, using it for just an eGPU is cool since its not that huge and also I am going to keep on my computer desk where space will not be an issue.

Let me know if some one wants detailed steps I followed. Special thanks to Tech Inferno Fan and all the other members of this community :sneakiness:

Pics of Case:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9635[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9633[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9634[/ATTACH]

Benchmark results

I actually have the exact same case, but why did your GC bulge out the side? mine fit's nicely inside.

Did you get the power button to work with the PE4L switch? I tried hooking it up, but i would press the button, it would turn on, but then when I released the button, it would turn off. I would love to get the button to work. Also, I wish I had a longer cable to connect it to my laptop!

Hi TI member

I already have a eGPU for months. But since my laptop's internal speaker is broken, then I tried search any possibility to use a desktop sound card on my laptop too

Then I have any thought, that is it possible to use a eGPU and desktop sound card with a same time..? Then I googling, and found something interesting too : a dual m-pcie to pcie express adapter like this link :

Mini PCI Express to Dual PCI Slots Adapter Mini PCI E Riser Card for PCI Card | eBay

May be have you some experience with stuff like that to make eGPU work pararel with sound card.?

thanks for your help

Hi TI member

I already have a eGPU for months. But since my laptop's internal speaker is broken, then I tried search any possibility to use a desktop sound card on my laptop too

Then I have any thought, that is it possible to use a eGPU and desktop sound card with a same time..? Then I googling, and found something interesting too : a dual m-pcie to pcie express adapter like this link :

Mini PCI Express to Dual PCI Slots Adapter Mini PCI E Riser Card for PCI Card | eBay

May be have you some experience with stuff like that to make eGPU work pararel with sound card.?

thanks for your help

I'm tired and maybe I'm saying something stupid, but... can't you use hdmi audio? That relies on the graphics card, as far as I know.

I actually have the exact same case, but why did your GC bulge out the side? mine fit's nicely inside.

Did you get the power button to work with the PE4L switch? I tried hooking it up, but i would press the button, it would turn on, but then when I released the button, it would turn off. I would love to get the button to work. Also, I wish I had a longer cable to connect it to my laptop!

Coz mine is an "AMP" edition which means custom card.

Also power is a simple matter of PSU switch. Inside, everything is set to the optimal settings.

I'm tired and maybe I'm saying something stupid, but... can't you use hdmi audio? That relies on the graphics card, as far as I know.

Hi

Btw, how to do that with HDMI audio..? Is that mean I need to buy a speaker with a HDMI cable to connect to my eGpu.? Or can I use my laptop internal speaker again...?( I thougt my laptop internal speaker sound chip is broken, but not the speaker )

thanks

Hi

Btw, how to do that with HDMI audio..? Is that mean I need to buy a speaker with a HDMI cable to connect to my eGpu.? Or can I use my laptop internal speaker again...?( I thougt my laptop internal speaker sound chip is broken, but not the speaker )

thanks

What @noric means by HDMI audio-out is that the HDMI cable connected between the graphics card and the Monitor is able to carry audio, so if your monitor has speakers and/or an audio-out port you should be able to use that instead of buying a sound card. However, in your case it is a laptop, so you probably don't connect it to a monitor, and even if you do it's possible your monitor doesn't have speakers. Additionally, it sounds like you have separate speakers that can't be connected to via hdmi so the whole idea of using HDMI audio-out seems like it wouldn't make much sense in your case.

Oh, @ivan_xiao, I just remembered, the easiest solution for your audio problem is probably just to use a USB Sound Card or a USB DAC (they bypass your internal sound card), That way you don't need to do any PCIe/mPCIe splitting of any sort.

Yes this, pickup a cheap DAC off eBay or wherever for under $10 usd

Hey eGPU people. I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm going to be building a nice eGPU setup for myself for college. I built one several years ago for a Dell E6220, but have been out of the loop for a while and am not sure what exactly I should buy for the best performance at this point. Laptop wise, I have settled on an HP 2570P. I'll be upgrading the CPU to an i7 quad, adding 8GB RAM and having an SSD and an HDD in the optical bay.

My questions are more directed towards which adapter and GPU I should buy. I've researched the adapters a bit, and it seems like the EXP GDC V6 or the PE4C are the best adapter choices, but I am unsure on which is better. I personally am leaning towards the EXP since it looks like a cleaner design. As for the GPU, I am not sure whether or not NVIDIA GPU's are still better because of Optimus compression, or if I can go with an AMD GPU and still get similar performance.

Thanks in advance for the help!

New TB2 notebook added to the candidates list by MSI.. This is the best 15.6" TB2 eGPU candidate system to date. Only problem is it's AUD$3.3k, making it even more expensive than a 15.6" Macbook Pro Retina.

15" MSI WS60 2OJ$ YES - TB2 4.18lbs (1.90kgs). 0.78" thick. i7-quad[/COLOR], K2100M, 1620P-IPS/1080P.

From [url=http://www.msi.com/news/1801.html]MSI Global - Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Motherboard, Graphics and more[/url]

News

MSI Introduces New Ultra-Thin Workstation Laptop WS60

Type: Product NewsLatest Update: Wed, 16 Jul 2014

MSI today announced new ultra portable workstation -WS60 2OJ. WS60 is a perfect mix and match of power and portability, with surprisingly light weight 1.9 kg and only 19.9 mm thin. WS60 uses high-quality materials mesh well with the simple curves to make this great-looking laptop, an Intel Core i7 processor, an Nvidia Quadro graphics card K2100M, and Intel Thunderbolt 2 interface are selected. This product is for all M&E (Multimedia & Entertainment) designers and CAD CAM engineers who want serious processing power on the go.

Powerful and Efficient for Professionals

WS60 2OJ is a 15.6 inch model that has an ultrabook-sized chassis, and deliver with all workstation needed features, which are:

- Improving rendering speed and real-time editing quality:

The latest generation CPU & GPU will definitely helps! WS60 equipped with Intel 4th Generation Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz processor, NVIDIA Kepler Quadro K2100M GDDR5 2GB graphics card happen to be the most essential feature of workstations.

- High speed data transferring rate:

WS60 built-in Intel Thunderbolt™ 2 technology. It's a dual protocol I/O innovation that dramatically increases transfer performance with bi-directional 10 Gbps speed. Comparing to USB 3.0 is about 4 times faster, which also means can finish transferring ten HD videos within 3 minutes.

- Enhancing read & write speed of large image files and videos:

MSI SuperRAID puts 2 SSD slots and 1 HDD storage space in one design, increased read/write speed up to 1000 MB/s. SuperRAID dramatically saves professionals’ daily workload while editing, composing, checking up files.

- Stable and sturdy for long time use:

MSI exclusive Cooler Boost 2, designed for maximum efficiency, the dual fan thermal cooling maintains a constant cool temperature during intense and long design process. MSI knows that workstation professionals often work long hours in front of their computers; therefore, a professional-level-tested, extremely accurate keyboard can be really helpful.

- Increasing productivity:

WS60 2OJ equipped high resolution 3K IPS Panel (2880 x 1620) takes your image editing experience to new levels, which goes alongside the wide viewing angle, which providing post production editors, graphic designers a higher saturation, more accurate and vivid colors. The MSI Matrix Display connects up to 2 external monitors and transforms your notebook into the ultimate multi-tasking station.

- Travel-friendly, User-friendly:

Without struggling to memorize different graphic design software shortcuts, through MSI Shortcut Manager can combine command keys into one single key; easily work faster. The most important of all, if professionals want to run design or modelling software and don’t want to carry bulky notebooks around, WS60 is the best choice. WS60 weighs only 1.9 kg, compact but features an Ethernet LAN port and deliver with a slim type adaptor, which is greatly appreciated by all-round professionals.

All of which leads us to the conclusion that the MSI WS60 brings much more values to demanding professionals than its rivals. Designers who work in video editing, CAD (computer-aided design), BIM (Building Information Modeling) now has a perfect choice to work effectively and efficiently.

and from [url]https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28276[/url]

I've bought the PE4L 2.1b (mpcie version) and it doesn't work.

I've tried every combi with the switches and still doesn't work.

My stuff:

Acer Aspire 5741 (intel version) (Unlocked bios from acer aspire 5742, v1.23)

PE4L v2.1b

AL-8360BTX Power supply (350W)

External dell screen.

GPUs:

1. AMD Club 3D Radeon HD 6450 (1GB DDR3)

2. Nvidia MSI NX8400GS-TD256E

I don't have the pci speed option in bios to set to auto.

How I set it up:

Plug mpcie in pc, gpu in the pe4l.

gpu connect to screen with vga cable.

PSU connected to pe4l with the cable that was delivered.

PSU connected to SWEX, and SWEX to the pe4l (red wire on 1, black on 2)

I tried every SW1 and SW2 switch combi and every time I boot I have black screen. (However when I dismount the gpu, it boots up, the usb port works)

Tried both gpus and still not working.

What to do and how to set it up?

Exactly what Tyrant Eric said.

If you use an external monitor you could think about it.

If you use internal screen, the HDMI audio won't help you.

in the end bought a usb sound blaster omni from creative lab

a little upgrade from the internal sound card

in the end bought a usb sound blaster omni from creative lab

a little upgrade from the internal sound card

Well done. It should also make a huge difference if you listen to music with decent speakers.

Hello everyone.

I own a Mbpr late 2013 with retina display 16gb of ram and hd 4000 discrete card

GTX 650M.

I would like to create a thunderbolt dock, without spending too much.

How schehe gpu I would like to install a radeon 270x 2GB or GeForce GTX750 TI 2GB. Some of you would be so kind as to tell me that possibly buy parts, and maybe give me a brief tutorial on how to install the various components.

Thank you very much.

sorry for my english I'm italian

bye

I'm running windows 8.1 pro x64. Do I need to do a DTST override?

@Tech Inferno Fan I did this "tutorial"

I can bootup my pc and windows detects the gpu, but it won't install drivers from nvidia and I have the yellow triangle (code 31)

It was recognized as the 8400GS (after installing the driver), it asked me to reboot and again that black screen stuff.

So im new here i just registered so i can ask some questions and get a little help if needed. I ran across the eGPU post on reddit and thought wow that would be something awesome for my dad and i to try out. I have an HP envy dv6-7247cl(im almost certain to like 90% when looking at specs and such cant find on system itself) i have the i7-3630QM CPU, INTEL HD4000 8gb RAM(but saw some may have issues with more than 4gb clicked the link to show how it should display in device manager if it would work but was a dead link.) I do have a mPCIe slot that i am wiling to give up i am always wired never wireless. Also a 560Ti that i can use if i am capable. My main question is has anyone had any experience with this model doing this? If you need more information let me know and i shall provide it. Thanks in advance for help.

Hi there:

I'm new and am having trouble setting up my laptop with external graphics.

My knowledge is very excasos and do not really know where I make mistakes

I recently acquired EGPU DIY program to fix the error12.

First to comment I'm using a asus vx3 (2008) chipsep lamborghini with Intel 965 PM, southbridge 1HBM 8280 (ICH8-ME)

Core 2 Duo T9300 CPU 4GB DDR2 Nvidia 9300M G and the external one Nvida GTX 460 1024 MB with windows 7 64 bit

I have tried various settings but I can not make it work, I think the problem is related to the allocation of memory but not sure.

I have tried several options, but only reboot I get very wrong resolutions.

I know it's an old laptop. but I would like to make it work with an external graphics if possible,

A greeting and thanks

Hi there:

I'm new and am having trouble setting up my laptop with external graphics.

My knowledge is very excasos and do not really know where I make mistakes

I recently acquired EGPU DIY program to fix the error12.

First to comment I'm using a asus vx3 (2008) chipsep lamborghini with Intel 965 PM, southbridge 1HBM 8280 (ICH8-ME)

Core 2 Duo T9300 CPU 4GB DDR2 Nvidia 9300M G and the external one Nvida GTX 460 1024 MB with windows 7 64 bit

I have tried various settings but I can not make it work, I think the problem is related to the allocation of memory but not sure.

I have tried several options, but only reboot I get very wrong resolutions.

I know it's an old laptop. but I would like to make it work with an external graphics if possible,

A greeting and thanks

Please check your email. Thanks!

Hello DIY'ers.

Been looking at this board about 6 months, and finally took the plunge.

My question is will optimus work with this setup ?

Macbook Pro 15 Retina with 650m descrete

Thundertek PCIe -> TB

NVIDIA 780 GTX

(both powered by a PSU and put into a Mini ATX)

Going to install Win 8.1 under bootcamp - which makes it plug and play ?

Reason I want optimus, is because I study far from home, and being able to game (in HIGH RES) is a dream I have had for a long time.

I hope you can help me out :subdued:

Thanks in advance!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.