eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Thank you for your response. I just purchased a PE4C V2.0, would a r9 280x or hd 6970 w/ lucidlogix virtu & setup1.x work? I am also hoping to get an eGPU setup working on my dell studio 1747 with one of those cards (@ x2 or x4) hence why i have the PE4C and want the PE4H from OP for. Would using windows 8 and setup 1.3 enable me to disable my mobility radeon 4650? If not is my best shot reflashing bios, dsdt override/ pci compaction, and modded drivers like kizwan? Sorry to lay it all down on you at once in the wrong section (I'm guessing). I know its a difficult/ lower performing setup, which is why im buying the hp 2570p and hopefully OP's nvidia card. Can you also point me in the right direction for setup 1.x, if not for the HP then for the Dell? Thanks again.

The Dell Studio 1747 will need Setup 1.30 for x2/x4 mode. Details of how to acquire are at the Setup 1.30 page. It can disable the dGPU if needed.

Note: LucidLogix Virtu requires a second-gen or newer Intel iGPU. The 2570P meets that critera. The Dell most certainly does not; it's only option for an eGPU rendered game/app on the internal LCD is by dragging and dropping a window across manually or via the Chung-Gun/Ultramon method.

Thats great news! I should've specified I only want lucidlugix virtu for pcie compression with amd gpu on the HP, will that give me similiar performance as nividia optimus? Also will an hd 6970 work on either laptop? I read somewhere on here b/c of the dual graphics chips onboard that it takes 256Mb X 2.

Thats great news! I should've specified I only want lucidlugix virtu for pcie compression with amd gpu on the HP, will that give me similiar performance as nividia optimus? Also will an hd 6970 work on either laptop? I read somewhere on here b/c of the dual graphics chips onboard that it takes 256Mb X 2.

Virtua is considerably worse than Optimus, see x1 2.0 comparo at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3062-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-mbp-gtx660ti-hd7870%40x2-2-th05.html#post42483 . There is no x1 pci-e compression with AMD cards. Avoid dual-GPU cards. Nobody has produced an working eGPU implementation with one as yet.

Does the 16GB issue (100% cpu load) affect every notebook, or only the X230?

Doesn't affect a 16GB HP 2570P/2560P, Macbook Pro or Lenovo W520/W530/T520 as shown at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#dx9 . Problem is specific to the Lenovo X230.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi everyone,

I have gone through a lot of pages of this forum (related to eGPU and overclocking) and they really are very useful but not able to find anything good for my laptop.

My laptop is Alienware M14Xr1 with following configurations :

Intel core i7 2860QM

Nvidia GT555m (3GB)

8GB primary memory 1600Mhz

750GB secondary memory 7200RPM (698.4 GB usable)

900p screen

I want to use a eGPU setup in my system.

Could anyone please tell me whether it is possible or not to use -

In my system there are following ports available - 2xUSB3.0, 1xUSB2.0, 1xHDMI1.4, 1xMiniDisplayPort, 1xVGA, 1xEthernet1000mbps, (I think none of these will be helpful in eGPU setup )

But i have heard that if you remove your wireless card then you can plug in your eGPU there. Is it true,

Please anyone share your experience with me related to this setup.

i'm newbie here.

i have Acer V3-471G ( i7-3630QM, 4 Gb RAM,GT 640M, HDD 1 Tb, Win 8 64 bit)

PE4L V2.1 (PCIe Adapter )

1.support for my laptop?

2. it's safe for shipping?i'm affraid, because first time buy more than $ 30 in international shipping.

3.support win 8?i'm affraid,i can't support because support until win 7.

4. PE4L is PCIe 1-Lane 5.0Gbps bandwidth limit passive adapter in compliance with Expresscard 2.0 specification, i'm not understand about that, can you explain that?

sorry if my english so bad.

i'm newbie about egpu, i want learn from this thread :(

Notebook: Fujitsu Lifebook S751 Series

HDD: SSD 256 GB

RAM: 2x4Gb

eGPU: PE4L v2.1 via ExpressCard , Asus Nvidia GT-630 2GB

SOFT: Setup 1.30

Problem: I use 4.00GB or 3.87Gb enpoint, allocation of All PCI Devices compaction and get error unable to remap (i also can't run diagnostic info, unable to save). Moreover all work ok if i do not perform comaction (except video card device has error 12 (code 12)).

Everyting i can collect (only before compaction) in attachment

diag.zip

Help please..

Thanks to Nando:

The solution was:

0. Remove all drivers

1. Override DSDT http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3539-guide-dsdt-override-simultaneous-igpu-dgpu-egpu.html

2. Select 56. 25Gb-bit enpoint

3. Run compaction. Select iGPU+eGPU compaction

4. Force 32 bit for iGPU

5. Install drivers and it should be ok

Hello,

i own a MSI GE 60 gaming Notebook.

The power of the implemented GT 750 M is currently to low.

So i decided to get the following eGPU setup.

My only PCI-E slot i can use is my Wifi mPCI-E x1 slot

- EXP GDC V6.0 mPCI-E ( 5,0 GBit/s)

- inno3D GeForce GTX 770 iChill HerculeZ X3 Ultra 2GB

- be quiet! Pure Power L8 300W ATX 2.4

1. How much would my bandwitch of the x1 lane bottleneck the GTX 770?

2. Is the 300W supply enough?

3. How powerful would be the GTX 770 compared to my old GT 750M?

greetz

ВŁǺĉΚҒØҲל

Sorry for the bad English, I'm Brazilian.

I've been here a few days, and decided to mount my EGPU, and chose the EXP GDC v 6.0, Gtx 770, I want to know if you made a good choice, bp plus will not be possible because of the Brazilian customs, then my setup, I borrowed a bios Mod, which has enabled many features from the motherboard.

post-27658-14494997885215_thumb.jpg

My system is plug and play, or do I have to make any changes? This sera plate that I'm going to buy

EDIT : ao ler umas paginas eu vi que o @Nando , disse que o melhor desempenho seria uma gtx 670 , e como eu precisa economizar , acabei comprando , agora irei aguardar chegar tudo para começar meu EGPU

post-27658-14494997884852_thumb.jpg

post-27658-14494997885047_thumb.jpg

Sometime ago I posted about my setup, thought I would share some more of myexperience after using it for a while, overall it’s been well worth it giving a new lease of life to my old laptop and re-sparking my interest in gaming for fairly minimal cost.

Recap; after buying new ultrabook I hooked up old laptop to TV for home theatre/games - note for audio it's hooked up to highly recommended KEF X300A speakers via usb.

Pretty old Samsung R620 with Windows 8.1 64bit, C2D 2.8Ghz T9600 (upgrade), PM45chipset, 3Gb ram, Integrated 512mb Mobility Radeon HD3300

Circa 125USD egpu, EXP GDC v6 + GTX550ti 2Gb, setup which worked straight from boot up via expresscard.

The upgraded CPU was overheating and throttling down pretty quickly so I re-did the thermalpaste. It still runs hot, say 80to85oCmax, but it will run at full load now without throttling down.

I tried Throttlestop and undervolting the cpu seems to help with temperatures while remaining completely stable. I understand I should be able to enable dual-ipa to get a small performance boost, I can disable EISTin the bios but so far this still hasn’t worked.

I had ago with setfsb to hopefully overclock the pci bus, but it seems my PLL (SLG8SP513V) is not that flexible and only offers very big jumps and as far as I can tell no pci overclock. I couldn’t resist trying it anyway and the computer still worked (ie no bsod) moving from 266 BCLK up to 333 but when I tried a game it crashed pretty quickly back to windows so I haven’t explored further for fear of damaging something.

In terms of actual gaming I’ve been playing Dirt3, Remember Me, Dishonoured, Portal 2,Far Cry 3, Crysis Warhead. There is some occasional stuttering with some games, and for example in Dirt3 I had to lower the detail to avoid this being a killer, but with tweaking all are playable so far at 1080p. As a casual gamer exploring some older titles the best thing is the value, games from a couple of years ago still look and play great and are available for less than 10 or 20USD.

Mybenchmarks as below:

3dMark06= 5226

Re5 = 66(for comparison with the integrated gpu this scores 20!)

3dMarkVantagegpu = 6318

DMC4 s4= 67

• Thumbs Up 2

The CD/DVD drive space is probably about the same size area if not larger than that of what a laptop graphics card needs.. What if? On a standard laptop with a spare mini pci-e and disc drive bay, a GPU bay was made instead and the GPU interfaced with the motherboard via mini pci-e.

wouldn't you run short on space with an O/D Bay with all the circuitry and cables?

Hi,

I'm not sure if me question is right here or if I should have started a new thread. Does anybody have expirence with the new PE4C? On bplus it looks available now (I don't know since when). I'm new to this topic and like to try it out with my Dell Vostro 3450 (with Expresscard).

i'm newbie about egpu, i want learn from this thread :(

Nothing you need to worry about. But does your laptop have expresscard?

By the way, you really find anything you want to know in the first page.

I'm sorry if somebody has asked this already, I just couldn't find the answer in the last few posts.

Is it possible to make a 2.2 connection with the PE4C using a HP 2570p? This would be just what I need, as my GTX 570 is getting bottlenecked quite alot.

By the way, what am I supposed to do to make that i7 3720QM benchmark you asked of, nando?

I'm sorry if somebody has asked this already, I just couldn't find the answer in the last few posts.

Is it possible to make a 2.2 connection with the PE4C using a HP 2570p? This would be just what I need, as my GTX 570 is getting bottlenecked quite alot.

By the way, what am I supposed to do to make that i7 3720QM benchmark you asked of, nando?

x2 2.0 not possible on a 2570P as explained at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-69.html#post93942.

The procedure to gather TDP vs multiplier data is at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-37.html#post77432 . There is only sample data for one i7-3720QM that sees it top out at x32. Would help to see if another CPU may do better: x33 or x34.

Is there a notebook with two express card slots and sandy/ivy-bridge cpu or with a express card and mpcie slot that can be combined? This would pretty much give the ultimate egpu experience.

Hey Nando,

Do you have a link to an eguide on the best method to setup internal LCD without optimus ? I can't seem to get your instructions with ultramon to work well.

Whenever I switch back to native, the window gets resized and the image is skewed. I could tell the egpu is running because its temperature is increasing. However, once I try to resize the window, it reverts back to the original nvidia GPU. Thanks.

@Arise

I know, but they're those ASUS Gsomething gamer pieces. I'd like a notebook without discrete GPU and exchangeable CPU in a small form factor with high battery life.

That's why I'm asking. I'd buy a macbook, but the CPUs are not really fast (top models cost waaaaay too much). So there actually is nothing left.

Here's the table of my i7-2760QM.

x12 x23 x24 x25 x26 x27 x28 x29 x30 x31 x32 x33 x34 x35
i7-2760QM VID 0.8105 1.006 1.0258 1.0508 1.0758 1.1058 XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX
45W / Noric TDP 11.4 25.6 27.9 30.5 33.1 36.8 XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX
TEMP 49 62 67 70 75 80

Voltage and power draw are very similar to other SB cpus tested, but I can't understand why mine can't go beyond x27. There is quite some headroom left. When I use Lynx it goes up to 4-core at x27 but uses 44-45W, so it obviously can't bear x28 with Lynx. But with Throttlestop Bench it should clock higher than x27, I think.

Here's the table of my i7-2760QM.

x12x23x24x25x26x27x28x29x30x31x32x33x34x35
i7-2760QMVID0.81051.0061.02581.05081.07581.1058XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
45W / NoricTDP11.425.627.930.533.136.8XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
TEMP496267707580

Voltage and power draw are very similar to other SB cpus tested, but I can't understand why mine can't go beyond x27. There is quite some headroom left.

When I use Lynx it goes up to 4-core at x27 but uses 44-45W, so it obviously can't bear x28 with Lynx. But with Throttlestop Bench it should clock higher than x27, I think.

Pretty much the same result that sskillz got with his i7-2760QM in a 2560P that I comment on at [url]http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-42.html#post79514[/url] . Now given I can get an Ivy Bridge i7-3740QM to run a TS 4-c bench up to x35 multiplier at [url]http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html#post95181[/url] means Ivy Bridge (22nm) > Haswell (22nm) > Sandy Bridge (32nm).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.