eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

I'd like to see more users write a system spec in their sign even if your eGPU setup isn't up and running yet. It makes everything so much easier when it comes to answering questions. It's also great in situations where me or someone else has an idea targeting a specific hardware or system.

You are of course free to copy my sign layout (if you'd like) and write WIP (work in progress) in the beginning if your setup isn't finished yet.

Thanks guys, I love you!

• Thumbs Up 1

i'm newbie here.

i have Acer V3-471G ( i7-3630QM, 4 Gb RAM,GT 640M, HDD 1 Tb, Win 8 64 bit)

http://www.bplus.com.tw/Adapter/PE4L%20V2.1.html

1.support for my laptop?

2. it's safe for shipping?i'm affraid, because first time buy more than $ 30 in international shipping.

3.support win 8?i'm affraid,i can't support because support until win 7.

4. PE4L is PCIe 1-Lane 5.0Gbps bandwidth limit passive adapter in compliance with Expresscard 2.0 specification, i'm not understand about that, can you explain that?

sorry if my english so bad.

hello guys,

I have to say the instructions for the Ultramon/Chung-Gun method is very unclear to me. Can someone point out a better guide on getting it running?

Thank you.

The Video cards->Initialize can be useful to overcome error 43.

Ubuntu has a NOCRS kernel boot option that allows PCIe allocation outside of 32-bit limits. You could check the GTX650Ti under Linux with 'lspci' to see where it's been allocated.

I've found Latitude systems will decrease their TOLUD from 3.5GB to 3.25GB if they detect an eGPU on bootup. The lower TOLUD then allowing an eGPU to be hosted in 32-bit space. Vostros may be the same?

Hi Nando

I ran the lspci in ubuntu and the gtx 650ti came last I hope this tells you anything weather setup 1.x will be of use to me in windows 8. Hot plugging an egpu is basically connecting it while it is still booting?. Lastly, I was experiencing some lag in ubuntu with my egpu the laptop display moved fine but when I hovered the mouse over the external display I was having some issues, it was slow, will this be a problem in windows 8 if i have setup 1.x.

Thank for your help.

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev b5)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b5)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev b5)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM67 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1030 [Rainbow Peak] (rev 34)
02:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK106 [GeForce GTX 650 Ti] (rev a1)

Windows works just fine if I don't enter Setup 1.x. But when I chainload (even without doing anything), I just gives me that error...

You may be chainloading the wrong partition (I got that error when I did that). Although since you're coming from GRUB that seems unlikely.

Or GRUB is configured incorrectly.

Or you are making your Windows partition inaccessible with your compaction. What compaction do you run?

In setup1.x, after compaction, go into grub4dos and type 'ls hd(' and press tab. Pick one of the options and repeat e.g. 'ls hd(0,' followed by tab. That will allow you to see what is available.

You can then even boot into Windows from grub4dos by finding the small NTFS partition windows uses to boot ( hd(1,0) for me) and running:

chainloader (hd1,0)/bootmgr && boot

Let me know how you get on.

The CD/DVD drive space is probably about the same size area if not larger than that of what a laptop graphics card needs.. What if? On a standard laptop with a spare mini pci-e and disc drive bay, a GPU bay was made instead and the GPU interfaced with the motherboard via mini pci-e.

Hello guys,i have a Mac-mini MD388 and i got an R9 270x plus a 700w PSU.

I will like to know, which adapter i have to buy from hwtools for this configuration with a AMD video card to work.

I have already Sonnet adapter PCI-ex to Thunderbolt.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Regards.

Hi folks im new here, i didnt want to open a new thread so i will just ask my question here, and i hope someone answer me. So my question is: ís it possible to run eGPU with Nvidia Optimus on Acer Aspire 5730z. We are talking about Intel GL40 Express chipset with GMA4500M (non HD) with 64MB dedicated memory and up to 1695 dynamic shared. I was thinking of using Geforce GTS 450 or GT 440 (GDDR5) via x1-x16 powered riser and 12V adaptor. EDIT: Now looking at the GTX750Ti and imo its better take than either of 450 or 440 listed above, what concerns me though is what is the productivity loss from x16 to x1 of 750Ti (x1 gen 1.0)

Computer:

• Lenovo T430 /w Intel HD Graphics 4000 (only)
  • 512 GB SSD (Main Drive) less then 6 months old
  • 500 GB HDD (Backup Drive) less then a year old
  • 8 GB of RAM less then 6 months old
  • Windows 8.1

eGPU:

• NVidia GeForce GTX 660 (Would also like to upgrade to the GTX 780 if this issue can be fixed)
  • PE4H (PCIe passive adapter ver2.4)
  • Mini to Mini
  • EC2C

Hi, I am currently trying to make this exact same setup (except I don't have the SSD and I'm on Windows 7 64 bit and I bought the PE4L 2.1 thanks to this thread), and I was wondering how you got it to even work in the first place? I can't seem to get my T430 to even use the eGPU.

Hi folks im new here, i didnt want to open a new thread so i will just ask my question here, and i hope someone answer me. So my question is: ís it possible to run eGPU with Nvidia Optimus on Acer Aspire 5730z. We are talking about Intel GL40 Express chipset with GMA4500M (non HD) with 64MB dedicated memory and up to 1695 dynamic shared. I was thinking of using Geforce GTS 450 or GT 440 (GDDR5) via x1-x16 powered riser and 12V adaptor. EDIT: Now looking at the GTX750Ti and imo its better take than either of 450 or 440 listed above, what concerns me though is what is the productivity loss from x16 to x1 of 750Ti (x1 gen 1.0)

NVidia Fermi/Keplar cards (up to GTX6xxx/GT6xxx) are supported with NVidia driver 306.97 as discussed at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6253-t500-compat-q-4500mhd-optimus-ends-306-97whql-2.html#post89243 . GTX750Ti isn't supported though could be added via INF file entry. Still you'd be stuck at that driver level. That problem could be eliminated if you have a notebook with Intel HD or newer. Best would be a Sandy Bridge or newer notebook that's x1 2.0 (Gen2) capable. See candidates at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list-%5Bthin-light%5D.html#post57159

Hi, I am currently trying to make this exact same setup (except I don't have the SSD and I'm on Windows 7 64 bit and I bought the PE4L 2.1 thanks to this thread), and I was wondering how you got it to even work in the first place? I can't seem to get my T430 to even use the eGPU.

First things first, boot into Setup 1.30, power on your eGPU then hotplug the expresscard into the expresscard slot. Hit F5. Is it detected? If not then there is an electrical issue preventing the device from working.

First things first, boot into Setup 1.30, power on your eGPU then hotplug the expresscard into the expresscard slot. Hit F5. Is it detected? If not then there is an electrical issue preventing the device from working.

It is detected. I followed the instructions in the video from DIY eGPU Setup 1.x, but when I get to the PCI compaction part, it says no solution and to change my options. Once I changed the option, I ran the chainloader.mbr2, but after the windows loading screen, I don't get anything. It just blanks out and I have to force shut down my laptop.

It is detected. I followed the instructions in the video from DIY eGPU Setup 1.x, but when I get to the PCI compaction part, it says no solution and to change my options. Once I changed the option, I ran the chainloader.mbr2, but after the windows loading screen, I don't get anything. It just blanks out and I have to force shut down my laptop.

Set Chainloader->mode.mbr then do Chainloader->Test Run. Confirm that you can chainload OK into Windows. Once that is OK, boot back into Setup 1.30, highlight PCI compaction->Test Run, then hit F1. It will list over 20 compaction scenarios to try. After each do a Chainloader->Test Run. If it hangs/fails, cold boot the system back into Setup 1.30 and try the next compaction scenario.

I thought you might be interested, so here are my 3DMark (demo) results using the laptop's internal display.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,LENOVO 4298W1C

Fire Strike: 3457

Sky Diver: 9127

Cloud Gate: 8712

Ice Storm: 23950

Better than 33% of all results (just eeks ahead of their "gaming laptop" score).

3DMark still crashes when I try to run the test with an external display.

Set Chainloader->mode.mbr then do Chainloader->Test Run. Confirm that you can chainload OK into Windows. Once that is OK, boot back into Setup 1.30, highlight PCI compaction->Test Run, then hit F1. It will list over 20 compaction scenarios to try. After each do a Chainloader->Test Run. If it hangs/fails, cold boot the system back into Setup 1.30 and try the next compaction scenario.

I figured that my TOLUD was 3.5, so I tried to do a DSDT override, but when I rebooted, I keep getting BSOD for like a second then my laptop restarts and just loops through the reboot BSOD cycle. Any ideas what I did wrong/how to fix it?

I figured that my TOLUD was 3.5, so I tried to do a DSDT override, but when I rebooted, I keep getting BSOD for like a second then my laptop restarts and just loops through the reboot BSOD cycle. Any ideas what I did wrong/how to fix it?

Plug away at it until the DSDT override works. Alternatively, seek a bios that lowers TOLUD OR use Win8.x. With Win8.x do a 56.25GB compaction on iGPU+eGPU, force the eGPU to 32-bit. That will then see the iGPU error12, an allowable condition as explained in http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6392-win8-x-more-flexible-egpu-platform-than-win7.html#post87484 . However, accelerated internal LCD mode won't work if you do this since it needs the iGPU working.

So is that the PE4H V2.4 or V3.2? Also is that the Dell DA-2 adapter that comes with the PE4C/ EXP GDC? I am very interested in purchasing, I wish I could PM. You can reply here or email me at [email protected], Thanks! Also I am purchasing the HP 2570P is this setup plug-n-play for you? did you use setup1.x?

2570P is Gen2 capable. A PE4H V2.4 used here is Gen1 only. Recommend getting a PE4L-EC060A instead for maximum performance. 2570P, like the 2560P, does not need Setup 1.x to use most NVidia Fermi/Keplar eGPUs. Exception being GTX650/GTX750 series that uses 256MB pci-e config spaces.

Only important point with the 2570P/2560P is the system must not see the eGPU on boot for it to be able to boot. It either needs to be hotplugged prior to loading the OS (hit F8 to halt OS loading), or use the PCI Reset Delay mechanism to delay assertion on the pcie bus.

Plug away at it until the DSDT override works. Alternatively, seek a bios that lowers TOLUD OR use Win8.x. With Win8.x do a 56.25GB compaction on iGPU+eGPU, force the eGPU to 32-bit. That will then see the iGPU error12, an allowable condition as explained in http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6392-win8-x-more-flexible-egpu-platform-than-win7.html#post87484 . However, accelerated internal LCD mode won't work if you do this since it needs the iGPU working.

I tried to set up the DSDT override again, but I don't really know whether it worked or not. Every time i try the DSDT override, I get hit with blue screen and reboot, but when I load up setup 1.3, over on the right side of the page, the DSDT says no. Is that supposed to say yes if I do the DSDT override correctly?

Thanks for the help.

I tried to set up the DSDT override again, but I don't really know whether it worked or not. Every time i try the DSDT override, I get hit with blue screen and reboot, but when I load up setup 1.3, over on the right side of the page, the DSDT says no. Is that supposed to say yes if I do the DSDT override correctly?

Thanks for the help.

The DSDT field in Setup 1.30 status window is not reporting anything of value at the moment. That's for a future release. The way you'll know that your DSDT override works is by seeing a "Large Memory" section in your Device Manager->View Resources By Connection. A BSOD on boot indicates a problem with your DSDT override.

NVidia Fermi/Keplar cards (up to GTX6xxx/GT6xxx) are supported with NVidia driver 306.97 as discussed at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6253-t500-compat-q-4500mhd-optimus-ends-306-97whql-2.html#post89243 . GTX750Ti isn't supported though could be added via INF file entry. Still you'd be stuck at that driver level. That problem could be eliminated if you have a notebook with Intel HD or newer. Best would be a Sandy Bridge or newer notebook that's x1 2.0 (Gen2) capable. See candidates at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list-%5Bthin-light%5D.html#post57159

Yea thanks, but the thing is that i have GMA4500M which is different of GMA4500MHD as far as i know. On the other hand the outdated driver is not a problem as long as i get all the crap working as i want via x1(gen 1.0) pcie and in optimus mode for the compression.

2570P is Gen2 capable. A PE4H V2.4 used here is Gen1 only. Recommend getting a PE4L-EC060A instead for maximum performance. 2570P, like the 2560P, does not need Setup 1.x to use most NVidia Fermi/Keplar eGPUs. Exception being GTX650/GTX750 series that uses 256MB pci-e config spaces.

Only important point with the 2570P/2560P is the system must not see the eGPU on boot for it to be able to boot. It either needs to be hotplugged prior to loading the OS (hit F8 to halt OS loading), or use the PCI Reset Delay mechanism to delay assertion on the pcie bus.

Thank you for your response. I just purchased a PE4C V2.0, would a r9 280x or hd 6970 w/ lucidlogix virtu & setup1.x work? I am also hoping to get an eGPU setup working on my dell studio 1747 with one of those cards (@ x2 or x4) hence why i have the PE4C and want the PE4H from OP for. Would using windows 8 and setup 1.3 enable me to disable my mobility radeon 4650? If not is my best shot reflashing bios, dsdt override/ pci compaction, and modded drivers like kizwan? Sorry to lay it all down on you at once in the wrong section (I'm guessing). I know its a difficult/ lower performing setup, which is why im buying the hp 2570p and hopefully OP's nvidia card. Can you also point me in the right direction for setup 1.x, if not for the HP then for the Dell? Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

It's V2.4, and no it's not the Dell adapter - it's one I had lying around from another project ;).

The 2570P should be very similar to my set-up. It was fairly easy to get running, but not plug-n-play. I had to update the laptop BIOS, then install the NVIDIA optimus drivers (I seem to recall there was a bit of fiddling round in configuration files to get this to work). Once it was all set up then the eGPU was plug-n-play though, you just booted the laptop then plugged it in, and it worked.

I didn't use setup1.x

I'll send you an e-mail with some more details tomorrow when I have a bit more time. Cheers!

Hey, havn't got an email from you is this still for sale? Thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.