eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Anyone knows about specification of expresscard slot in T540P? I can't find it anywhere.

A expresscard slot in a Sandy Bridge or newer notebook will be 34mm or 54mm wide, connected to the chipset Southbridge running a x1 2.0 (5Gbps) link. Attaching a NVidia Fermi or Keplar eGPU to this slot will yield x1.2Opt performance (x1 pci-e compression + internal LCD mode) so long as the system has an active iGPU and there are no active dGPUs.

A expresscard slot in a Sandy Bridge or newer notebook will be 34mm or 54mm wide, connected to the chipset Southbridge running a x1 2.0 (5Gbps) link. Attaching a NVidia Fermi or Keplar eGPU to this slot will yield x1.2Opt performance (x1 pci-e compression + internal LCD mode) so long as the system has an active iGPU and there are no active dGPUs.

Oh really thanks:) And sorry for my bad question. I just saw the explanation of EC on the top:( Actually I was thinking about T520 and T540P for EGPU. But EC has no difference between them, I don't have to consider it anymore. I gotta go T520. Thanks again!

Hey guess who is back guys :3

After consulting with nando, I managed to make my eGPU show up in setup 1.x.

Of course since I have 8 gigs of ram, i got a error 12, which I quickly fixed by editing my DSDT and making a large memory option.

Now i have something called Error 10. (code 10: device cannot launch). After some googling, I deduced that the problem is with the drivers. After following the main guide, I uninstalled all AMD drivers, booted into Setup 1.x, Set my PCI ports speed to Gen2, Ran a PCI compaction with the large memory on the eGPU, and chainloded to windows 7. The problem is that the computer crashes right after this, Either it freezes at the "Launching windows in 4.. seconds", or gets a black screen before the windows logo animation.

Any suggestions?

Could be a couple of issues:

- your system can't hold a Gen2 link. When it tries to engage the eGPU it freezes/black screens. Set it to Gen1 for testing.

- your eGPU power supply is insufficient to power the eGPU. When it tries to engage the eGPU it freezes/black screens. Try another PSU.

- something is amiss with the PCI compaction. Try others like an iGPU+eGPU compaction, forcing the eGPU into 32-bit space. Contact me offline if need help with this.

Hi,

I have connected my GTX560 Ti, windows 7 64bits have installed driver and I have installed MSI driver of my gtx560Ti.

I use EXPGDC v6 (bought on aliexpress but my advice is to order in other shop because a cable is missing!)

But it's really not efficient, not at all.

I use PerformanceTest :

With my GTX560 Ti on my office computer :

http://i.imgur.com/jLv5dAE.jpg

With EXPGDC on my laptop Toshiba :

http://i.imgur.com/HyBqdWo.jpg

Result : 3485 (officecomputer) vs 517 (EXPGDC) vs 200 (with the HD4500 of my laptop)

Is it normal ? What can I do to increase performance ?

My chipset is GM45 and Toshiba L350-21U. My CPU is T9900 and I have 4GB Ram.

I could put here some pics :)

Thank you very much :)

Your system has a 4500MHD iGPU. Best thing to increase performance is to run the 306.97 driver or older as discussed in http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6253-t500-compat-q-4500mhd-optimus-ends-306-97whql.html#post85924 . That driver will engage Optimus' x1 pci-e compression and internal LCD mode (x1.Opt). You can confirm it being active by checking the Manage 3D Settings section, which will give you a Preferred graphics option as follows if it's working correctly.

optimus1.jpg

With x1.Opt engaged on you GTX560Ti eGPU you'll get a 3dmark06 score greater than 10K. Without it, the score will be less than 5k.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh really thanks:) And sorry for my bad question. I just saw the explanation of EC on the top:( Actually I was thinking about T520 and T540P for EGPU. But EC has no difference between them, I don't have to consider it anymore. I gotta go T520. Thanks again!

If looking at quad-core systems then recommend the Ivy Bridge series as the best value eGPU systems. In your case that would be a Lenovo T530. IVB uses a more power efficient 22nm chip just like Haswell but at a significantly lower price. Sandy Bridge's less efficient 32nm CPU sees significant 4-core performance TDP throttled lowering the max multiplier giving noticably worse performance. By comparison, Haswell is only marginally faster than Ivy Bridge.

Hi everybody !

First, I'm french so sorry for my bad english but I'm going to try correctly write.

I have received my EXPGDC V6 since 4-5days. (bought on Aliexpress)

My config :

Windows 7 64bits

Toshiba L350-21U [witch I have upgraded with a T9900 cpu (before :T6600)] ; a SSD and 4GB RAM.

My iGPU is "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series" and my socket is GM45.

Tech Inferno Fan has already replied me here : http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-312.html#post92541 but jacobsson asked me to post here.

I use an external LCD and a MSI GTX 560 Ti with a ATX supply 430W.

It works BUT performance is very bad...

Benchmarks with PerformanceTest : 3485 (GTX560Ti into a office computer..) vs 517 (EXPGDC+GTX560Ti) vs 200 (with the HD4500m of my laptop)

Im doing 3DMark benchmarks now, wait some minutes...

These benchmarks are with "306.97-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql" downloaded in Nvidia website.

I saw an advice : install "Verde 285.27 (retrofit by Nautis)." but the link is dead...

I have bought EXPGDC v6 to play but it's not possible currently.

Thank you :)

Hi everybody !

First, I'm french so sorry for my bad english but I'm going to try correctly write.

I have received my EXPGDC V6 since 4-5days. (bought on Aliexpress)

My config :

Windows 7 64bits

Toshiba L350-21U [witch I have upgraded with a T9900 cpu (before :T6600)] ; a SSD and 4GB RAM.

My iGPU is "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series" and my socket is GM45.

Tech Inferno Fan has already replied me here : http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-312.html#post92541 but jacobsson asked me to post here.

I use an external LCD and a MSI GTX 560 Ti with a ATX supply 430W.

It works BUT performance is very bad...

Benchmarks with PerformanceTest : 3485 (GTX560Ti into a office computer..) vs 517 (EXPGDC+GTX560Ti) vs 200 (with the HD4500m of my laptop)

Im doing 3DMark benchmarks now, wait some minutes...

These benchmarks are with "306.97-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql" downloaded in Nvidia website.

I saw an advice : install "Verde 285.27 (retrofit by Nautis)." but the link is dead...

I have bought EXPGDC v6 to play but it's not possible currently.

You don't have an Intel 4500MHD, instead you have an ATi HD4500 series. Meaning, no x1 pcie compression for you and subsequently poor performance.

Recommend offloading your system for a better eGPU candidate. Best performance/value ones being the Ivy Bridge ones at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list-%5Bthin-light%5D.html#post57159 where your eGPU hardware can extract x1.2Opt performance.

You don't have an Intel 4500MHD, instead you have an ATi HD4500 series. Meaning, no x1 pcie compression for you and subsequently poor performance.

Recommend offloading your system for a better eGPU candidate. Best performance/value ones being the Ivy Bridge ones at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list-%5Bthin-light%5D.html#post57159 where your eGPU hardware can extract x1.2Opt performance.

Oh ok, I thought that it was the same thing...

I don't want to change my laptop...

Then I'll sell my new expgdc because it's useless.

And I forget to use another eGPU if it's to have same bad performances.

I'm sorry Grinch, you are right! Since you are running a ATI series you can't get the benefit of the compression boost (Optimus), when you decide to upgrade your system please come back to us and we will advice you!

Vive La france! :)

Yes, I'm looking for a motherboard with GMA4500 for my toshiba L350.. (I love my notebook... 17" 16/10)

Cheers sverige ! :D

Edit : I maybe found it ^^ "TOSHIBA SATELLITE L355 INTEL MOTHERBOARD V000148370" for 50€ but I've to check if L355 is same motherboard than for L350 notebook.

Does anyone have benchmarks of Battlefield 4 with 1.2Opt and Thunderbolt 1 (10Gbps)? Or a modern DX11 game. Want to see what kind of fps difference I would see with the added bandwidth.

Hi guys!

Just thought it was time for me to show off my creation, haven't really presented it on the forum (except for my sign of course).

Here is a link to my gallery.

What you see is a 3d-desgined and printed enclosure with VESA mount, together with a GTX670 mini and EXP GDC v6.0

The 220W Dell PSU is modded with a power switch (5V for PE4L if needed) and custom made red cables.

I just hope this can be inspiring for others :)

• Thumbs Up 5

Hi guys!

Just thought it was time for me to show off my creation, haven't really presented it on the forum (except for my sign of course).

Here is a link to my gallery.

What you see is a 3d-desgined and printed enclosure with VESA mount, together with a GTX670 mini and EXP GDC v6.0

The 220W Dell PSU is modded with a power switch (5V for PE4L if needed) and custom made red cables.

I just hope this can be inspiring for others :)

Awesome!

im french too and if you sell your expgdc i can be interested if it is with expresscard

are you near paris?

can i get a link of 1.3 setup, i just sent you 27 dollars through paypal, to the email address, thanks vey much:single_eye:

i did send email to you too to get the link, [email protected], i am installing the egpu today with my T5010(USA) with no expresscard, maybe need further help but the 1.3 setup would be a good start.

Reply sent. Please check your email.

I finally got it to work!

2TUg9dL.png

Well, kinda ... It won't drive my external monitor. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that I'm using a DVI to VGA adapter?

I've just bought an X230t for college with hopes to do an eGPU setup with the 750ti in the near future. If you don't mind, could you describe any issues you had with software or anything that you encountered after replacing the fried GPU?

I have tested a X220T with a 750Ti and it works perfectly with no software config at all, just plug it in and boot. If you have 8GB ram or less on your x230t then you shouldn't have any problems, even with the 750Tis larger PCIe space requirements. Using EXP GDC 6.0 + 60W DC PSU.

• Thumbs Up 4

I've just bought an X230t for college with hopes to do an eGPU setup with the 750ti in the near future. If you don't mind, could you describe any issues you had with software or anything that you encountered after replacing the fried GPU?

There really wasn't much to it after I got a card that actually worked. One thing I might recommend is if you're using an AC/DC adapter instead of a proper PSU, get a USB A male to USB A male cable and a USB AC/DC 5V adapter to make things easier. While the power brick delivers power to the card, it doesn't actually power the PE4L, so it needs to either be connected via Express Card or USB cable to turn on.

Does anyone know what's going on with the CPU load, though? Even light tasks such as watching a movie will put it under stress and raise the temperature to ~80C. This doesn't happen when I'm not driving the display through the eGPU. I've heard that this is an issue with >8 GB RAM, but I only have 8 GB.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone know what's going on with the CPU load, though? Even light tasks such as watching a movie will put it under stress and raise the temperature to ~80C. This doesn't happen when I'm not driving the display through the eGPU. I've heard that this is an issue with >8 GB RAM, but I only have 8 GB.

I remember something like that happening when using Chrome with eGPU.

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember something like that happening when using Chrome with eGPU.

Thanks. I'll try it with Firefox/IE when I get home.

EDIT: I wanted to run some benchmarks for you guys, so I downloaded Steam and the 3DMark demo, which doesn't seem to be cooperating. I ran through it and got this error:

fi7FSYz.png

Hi all, Can anyone please tell about what is large memory under Device Manager and 36-bit root bridge DSDT override mean?

I always get error43 on nondo suggest that 306.97 WHQL driver . Latest driver and etc. will goes black screen!

My TOLUD is 3GB (C0000000) so my device manager didn't have the large memory can I still get it work?

wanna to make my eGPU through internal display with intel GMA45.

My spec:

Windows 7 64bit

8GB ram

I'm having lot pf FPS drops with my new GTX 770. I'm not sure why. I should be able to run games as borderland 2 at decent frames but nope. I'm suspecting the PSU not giving enough power.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.