eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Update on this, I now have the 750Ti working perfectly (internal and external) under Windows 7 with DSDT override, and 36Bit Compaction from Setup 1.x.

F**k yeah dude!

Now some benchmarks? :P

If you have some benchies from the 650 as well to compare.

F**k yeah dude!

Now some benchmarks? :P

If you have some benchies from the 650 as well to compare.

Yeah, running a set of benchmarks on the 650Ti, 750Ti, and 780. Should be done by tonight.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi,

My laptop is a TOSHIBA L350, I already change my HDD by a SSD and I have a caddy.

I also change my cpu T6600 to a T9900.

The chipset is GM45 and I have a express card (that I use for a USB3 connector).

I would like to have a eGPU with my GTX N560 Ti/OC TwinFrost II but I don't know what adapter buy...

PE4C ? PE4L ? PE4H ?

PE4C-EC3C V1.2 is the cheapest...

Thank you !!

650Ti scores have gone AWOL, I had a BSOD straight after.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3520M,Hewlett-Packard 17DF

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3520M,Hewlett-Packard 17DF

Remember I have dual core and not quad, which is why CPU score will be lower.

650Ti scores have gone AWOL, I had a BSOD straight after.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3520M,Hewlett-Packard 17DF

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3520M,Hewlett-Packard 17DF

Remember I have dual core and not quad, which is why CPU score will be lower.

That little card is a beast! 60W and ~5K GPU score :P

You should really really test these drivers, which will unload some CPU load:

GeForce 337.50 Beta Performance Drivers Increase Frame Rates By Up To 71% | GeForce

If you want to redo the tests :)

I tried the drivers, my scores went down in 3DM11, and hardly any difference elsewhere.

Weird! I got significantly higher GPU scores in 3Dmark vant & 06 (and a boost for physics overall) with those drivers.

Did you set "prefer performance" in NCP?

Weird! I got significantly higher GPU scores in 3Dmark vant & 06 (and a boost for physics overall) with those drivers.

Did you set "prefer performance" in NCP?

I have set prefer performance.

3DM06, 780, 335 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3520M,Hewlett-Packard 17DF

3DM06, 780, 375 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3520M,Hewlett-Packard 17DF

Very strange indeed!

And you always, always choose a "clean install" of the drivers and untick everything but graphics and physx driver during installation?

I read that many people needed to make a clean install for this driver to work.

EDIT: Oh, if you run with stock thermal paste for the CPU there is a good chance you're having throttling during the tests. I'd recommend running TPfanControl in order to have the fan running at full blast.

Very strange indeed!

And you always, always choose a "clean install" of the drivers and untick everything but graphics and physx driver during installation?

I read that many people needed to make a clean install for this driver to work.

EDIT: Oh, if you run with stock thermal paste for the CPU there is a good chance you're having throttling during the tests. I'd recommend running TPfanControl in order to have the fan running at full blast.

Did a complete re-install of the drivers (remove from control panel, then DDU in safe mode, then reinstall with clean install ticked).

Ran 06 again, still lower than 335.

I always run the benchmarks with XTU open so I can see what the CPU did and I haven't seen any throttling on any of the runs, it sits at 3.49GHz the entire time,

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm happy with the performance as it is really, I'm not a massive benchmark person, I just see whether it plays the games I want at the settings I want or not.

Did you EXP come with the PCIe power leads? Because mine didn't.

I think I'm going to buy a 760 or 770 for the eGPU so i can return the 780 and it's SFATX PSU to the desktop, and get the EXP running off the Dell PSU which I am yet to buy.

Yes I got the PCIe-power cable, I guess it was because I managed to get the PSU bundled version.

I have a schematic for the cable if you want to make one, just PM me.

Also, you should tell Cloud (the seller) explicitly that you need this cable if you buy the PSU from him.

Hi,

My laptop is a TOSHIBA L350, I already change my HDD by a SSD and I have a caddy.

I also change my cpu T6600 to a T9900.

The chipset is GM45 and I have a express card (that I use for a USB3 connector).

I would like to have a eGPU with my GTX N560 Ti/OC TwinFrost II but I don't know what adapter buy...

PE4C ? PE4L ? PE4H ?

PE4C-EC3C V1.2 is the cheapest...

Thank you !!

Hi !!

Nobody ? Just a way for the adapter plz... PE4C ? PE4L ? PE4H ? I don't know what are the differences...

@rhx123

Thanks for your benchmarks! :)

Would you mind looking at device manager to see what's the PCI address space required by the GTX 750 Ti? Older GTX 650 Ti card used to require a higher PCI space than all other nvidias. You will find it out in device manager > GTX 750 TI > Resources. Thanks!

@the_grinch

You want a PE4L or a PE4H. If you don't plan to change your notebook soon, older versions of PE4L or PE4H will work too, but if you plan to switch to a sandy bridge or later system you want a PE4L 2.1 or a PE4H 3.x.

I just looked at PE4C. I thought it was some older model, I didn't know it had just been released. Sorry. Indeed you can go for PE4C if its cable is not a problem for you. If you don't plan to travel with your PE4C and always leave it on the table I don't see it breaking easily. Other than that I find it better than PE4L. It's been discussed here.

Anyone had any success using an x230 with windows 8? At the moment mine crashes dwm.exe (desktop window manager), which means you can't log in or use anything metro.

I'm using a gts250 until my gtx660 shows up. Could that be the issue maybe?

EDIT: This seems relevant to running egpu on windows 8: Why does Desktop Window Manager leak memory or even crash? - Super User... TLDR; DWM must run on primary video card

Did you solve your problem. I have same. .....please tell what I do...

I think I'm going to buy a 760 or 770 for the eGPU so i can return the 780 and it's SFATX PSU to the desktop, and get the EXP running off the Dell PSU which I am yet to buy.

IMHO:

think this is the emission of money .

I'm happy with the performance as it is really, I'm not a massive benchmark person, I just see whether it plays the games I want at the settings I want or not.

Did you EXP come with the PCIe power leads? Because mine didn't.

Sounds both more practical and economical!

I'm currently looking into a "modded" consumer version of the D220P PSU that claims to output 12V*20A (confirmed by the seller) and uses the 5.5/2.5mm interface instead.

Of course I'm not the most economical person here, since I'd now have 3 different versions of the D220P, incl. the incoming 240W one. I should probably offload one for a reasonable price later on since it's totally idiotic of me to stack a pile of power bricks. It should be pretty cheap to ship it to from Sweden to England I suppose?

EDIT: of course you'd be more interested in the 240W version from China if you're going for the GTX770

EDIT2: @Tech Inferno Fan Maybe we could start a trade/buy/sell eGPU equipment thread if such thread doesn't already exist? It's feels like I'm hoarding eGPU hardware atm.

Please can someone verify this:

I am running a eGpu setup(PE4L) with GTX750ti SC (NVIDIA Maxwell architecture)

post-25795-14494997521382_thumb.jpg

I'm able to play games on internal LCD without any old Optimus drivers or without any modified .inf files.

Basically it's plug & play - connect GPU, install latest drivers from Nvidia , restart and start playing on internal LCD.

Can anyone confirm this?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.