eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hi all,

I'm wondering if the PSU I'm using with my eGPU setup is too weak- maybe someone here can confirm this for me.

I'm using an X230 with a PE4L 2.1, with a gtx 770 and a 400w FSP PSU that has two 12 volt rails, one with 17w and the other with 16w. It doesn't seem to be enough to drive an external display. If I plug in an external display and try to boot, it hangs before loading windows. If I plug in the display when already booted, it isn't recognized. Tried multiple cables, displays, and ports. Otherwise, I can boot normally and things work fine.

I was trying to make this setup as portable as possible, so I went with a PSU meant for mITX systems. Total wattage is well above the power demands of a gtx 770, or so I thought.

I've also noticed that performance appears to be a little lower than it should be. Borderlands 2 was giving ~30-50 fps.

Do I need to figure out another PSU solution? Are there other reasons this might be happening?

Thanks!

-Lenovo x230, i7 3520m, 4gb RAM, gtx 770 2gb, FSP 400w psu, PE4L 2.1

Yes, your PSU is the problem. A PE4L 2.1 uses only a single rail of your PSU, in which case you are supplying 12*17=204W of power at best. At peak, a stock-clocked GTX770 will require 230W. That almost 30W discrepancy means at peak load such as a Furmark test, the PSU will cut out and the eGPU will cease to work.

Try a higher power single-rail PSU like CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm having a problem I haven't yet seen on here: My x230 won't POST with a GTX660 (2gb) as eGPU, but works fine with a GTS250 (1gb).

Due to what I assume is the dynamic TOLUD, neither card fits on the bus if it's being hot plugged.

I just found a solution to this problem, which is to boot with the GTS250, swap cards at boot menu, followed by compaction and chainload.

While this works flawlessly once in Windows, it's very tedious, not to mention the wear on the PCIe1x slot.

Does anyone have any idea what could be preventing the computer from POSTing with the GTX660?

I have tested multiple PSU's and also stress tested the GPU in a different system.

Does anyone have any idea what could be preventing the computer from POSTing with the GTX660?

I have tested multiple PSU's and also stress tested the GPU in a different system.

The Lenovo BIOS is falling over seeing the eGPU on the PCIe BUS. Best you can do is set the PCI Reset Delay on the PE4L/PE4H, cold power the eGPU followed immediately by the notebook and perform a DSDT override to host the eGPU in 36-bit PCI space. If using Win8 you might be able to hijaak the iGPU PCI config space resulting in a non-functional iGPU.

We can conclude from this that Lenovo give eGPUs nolove in the X230. The trend continuing with Lenovo eradicating the expresscard slot altogether in the X240.

Alternatively, this Lenovo eGPU bios inoperability may be a good reason to seek a refund and get a HP 2570P instead. A 2570P has significantly more performance potential (i7-quad, RAID-0 storage) with noticably better build quality. It can host a GTX660 in 32-bit PCI config space.

Thanks for the tips. Indeed the built quality of the x230 has been a let-down, but it's been good on other fronts. I don't think I'll be able to get a refund at this point, but I'll definitely bear your suggestion in mind when an opportunity comes up.

As for the issue at hand: I have tried to override the memory as suggested in your Win8 DSDT override guide. I was able to make all the changes and eradicate any compilation errors with only some warnings remaining, but always got a blue screen when loaded. I'm fairly certain the size of the recompiled .aml is smaller than the .dat, it's quite close though. I removed all references to other OS's but not sure what else can be removed. Could there be other reasons for the BSOD?

Disabling the iGPU is definitely also an option. How would this be done?

Thanks for the tips. Indeed the built quality of the x230 has been a let-down, but it's been good on other fronts. I don't think I'll be able to get a refund at this point, but I'll definitely bear your suggestion in mind when an opportunity comes up.

As for the issue at hand: I have tried to override the memory as suggested in your Win8 DSDT override guide. I was able to make all the changes and eradicate any compilation errors with only some warnings remaining, but always got a blue screen when loaded. I'm fairly certain the size of the recompiled .aml is smaller than the .dat, it's quite close though. I removed all references to other OS's but not sure what else can be removed. Could there be other reasons for the BSOD?

Disabling the iGPU is definitely also an option. How would this be done?

You'd have to plug away at the DSDT override till you get it going. Not much advice that I can offer there.

As you are running Win8, the way you'd get the eGPU to use the iGPU PCI config space is to perform a iGPU+eGPU 36-bit compaction, but force the eGPU to 32-bit. That way it will hijaak the iGPU PCI config (or any other available in 32-bit space). Win8 should honor the Setup 1.x allocation and flag the iGPU with an error 12. Having a error12 on the primary iGPU device isn't as catastrophic in Win7 as it is under Win7 as described in http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6392-win8-x-more-flexible-egpu-platform-than-win7.html . I believe that even with a non-functional iGPU, the NVidia x1 pci-e compression will still engage. Only thing you'd miss out on would be of course the eGPU-accelerated internal LCD mode.

You'd have to plug away at the DSDT override till you get it going. Not much advice that I can offer there.

As you are running Win8, the way you'd get the eGPU to use the iGPU PCI config space is to perform a iGPU+eGPU 36-bit compaction, but force the eGPU to 32-bit. That way it will hijaak the iGPU PCI config (or any other available in 32-bit space). Win8 should honor the Setup 1.x allocation and flag the iGPU with an error 12. Having a error12 on the primary iGPU device isn't as catastrophic in Win7 as it is under Win7 as described in http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6392-win8-x-more-flexible-egpu-platform-than-win7.html . I believe that even with a non-functional iGPU, the NVidia x1 pci-e compression will still engage. Only thing you'd miss out on would be of course the eGPU-accelerated internal LCD mode.

Alright, I will keep playing with the DSDT, maybe the windows logs or dumps will give me more info on what's going wrong. I am using win8, so the second option sounds like it would suffice for the time being. With 3 HD screens running off the GTX660 I wouldn't exactly miss the handful of pixels of the internal display.

Is it possible to use conditional statements in the startup.bat?

Something like

if eGPU (

hijack

)

chainload

• Thumbs Up 1

RE: ProBook 6470b Gen2 simply not working

Can someone with NBR membership direct this guy here to get an answer to his problem before his 6470b notebook gets hurt? Seems he's expecting Gen2 performance from a PE4L 1.5. I'm not sure why he believes that to be the case since Bplus clearly mark the PE4L 1.5 as Gen1 only: PE4L ( PCIe passive adapter ver1.5 )

I have a HP Pavilion dv4-1465dx, WIN7 64bit, I've added a Nvidia GeForce GT 630 by using the PE4H-EC2C ver2.4.

I'm trying to find a way to use my laptops screen instead of connecting an external monitor. Also when I use the Nvidia GeForce Experience app it doesn't see the graphics card to allow me to use the game optimization feature.

Can anyone help me configure it so the display is my laptop screen or with getting the optimization feature to work?

Your machine has 4500MHD iGPU graphics. Use the 306.97WHQL desktop or earlier driver to get Optimus support with it http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6253-t500-compat-q-4500mhd-optimus-ends-306-97whql.html#post85924 . You may need to edit the nvamn.inf file to gain GT630 detection.

Thanks Tech Inferno Fan! How do I know if it's working correctly?

You would be much better with an Nvidia card as this allows Optimus and PCIe compression.

Both the PE4L and PE4H only support PCI 2.0, so the fact the card is 3.0 compatible makes no difference.

To use the 16x, you need a system with 16 1x ports, which the X230T does not have.

The 660Ti + PE4L v2.1b would be the best combination for you.

hello

as u can see i am a newbbie

i got this question

you think is possible to make an egpu (PE4L-PM060A v2.1b + nvidia gtx 660ti or gtx 780)with the follwing:

Msi a617b notebook/ i think international version is: CX61 0NC

intel i7 3630qm (2.4Ghz-3.4Ghz Turbo) / i will be able to upgrade to i73940xm (3.0-3.9Ghz turbo)

intel graphics 4000/nvidia gt 635m (its connected via mobo to pcie x16)

samsung ssd evo 840 500gb

RAM corsair vengeance 16gb (2*8gb) 1600mhz

Win 8 pro 64bits ( also i can install win 7 pro if its needed)

A liitle more about motherboard:

Manufacturer:Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.

Model: MS-16GB (SOCKET 0)

Version: REV:1.0

Chipset Vendor: Intel

Chipset Model Ivy Bridge

Chipset Revision 09

Southbridge Vendor Intel

Southbridge Model:HM76

Southbridge Revision:04

BIOS

Brand American Megatrends Inc.

Version E16GBIMR.50I

Date 13/10/2012

PCI Data

Slot PCI-E

Slot Type PCI-E

Slot Usage In Use

Data lanes x16

Slot Designation J6B2

Characteristics 3.3V, Shared, PME

Slot Number 0

Slot PCI-E

Slot Type PCI-E

Slot Usage In Use

Data lanes x1

Slot Designation J6B1

Slot Number 1

Slot PCI-E

Slot Type PCI-E

Slot Usage In Use

Data lanes x1

Slot Designation J6D1

Slot Number 2

Slot PCI-E

Slot Type PCI-E

Slot Usage In Use

Data lanes x1

Slot Designation J7B1

Slot Number 3

Slot PCI-E

Slot Type PCI-E

Slot Usage In Use

Data lanes x1

Slot Designation J8B4

Slot Number 4

Thanks a lot, if any more info needed jusk ask

Hallo TI member

I want ask a noob question

May be one of you already tred and succesfully use the egpu in SLI mode..?

I just think if this may possible, since I want a x2 configuration, but I just have port 1 for WLAN and port 3 for Express Card available. The port 2 is already used for memory stick card, and to make it free I must make a hardware level configuration, that not so easy to do

It may need 2 egpu adapter ( PE4H or PE4L + 2 HDMI Cable ), but it may be worthy to try, if the result would be great

thanks

Hallo TI member

I just think if this may possible, since I want a x2 configuration, but I just have port 1 for WLAN and port 3 for Express Card available. The port 2 is already used for memory stick card, and to make it free I must make a hardware level configuration, that not so easy to do

It may need 2 egpu adapter ( PE4H or PE4L + 2 HDMI Cable ), but it may be worthy to try, if the result would be great

thanks

SLI doesn't work. It requires x4 slots. Crossfire does work, but there is so much PCI-E overhead that it's rarely an improvement.

Hallo TI member

thanks

SLI won't work unless there exists some dual port TB adapter and I'm sure a lot of fiddling will be needed.

Crossfire is a PAIN to setup, and not worth it imo, much better to just spend the money on one nice single card instead.

You can see my experience with Crossfire here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/5622-%5Bblog%5D-crossfire-testing.html#post82280

• Thumbs Up 1

I've installed the 305.97 WHQL from Nvidia website after adding GT630 for detection. That's the only driver I have installed for the card. Before trying 305.97 I installed the latest driver from Nvidia and test it out using my HDTV play SWTOR on high settings.

I uninstalled those drivers and went to the 305.97 WHQL and I can't get SWTOR to work on high settings. I tried the OptimusTools_64bit and it doesn't show the GPU turning on, but if I do extended or projector only for the display setting it then says it's on. I've gone to the settings and put my preferred graphics processor to the Nvidia processor along with any other options directing it to use Nvidia over integrated.

Does anyone have a solution to correctly setup or make sure Nvidia Optimus is working?

My setup is Lenovo x220 + Nvidia GTX650:

[GUIDE] Low profile 12" Lenovo X220 + [email protected] (PE4L 2.1b) - Page 2

• E4L 2.1b + EC2C with EC-060A
  • ASUS GTX650-E-1GD5 GeForce GTX 650 PCI-E 3.0 GDDR5 1GB 128-bit Memo 5000 MHz
  • EZCool AD-970-90W universal laptop adapter (with different connectors)
  • Lenovo X220, 1.38 BIOS
  • USB to USB cable

Settings used:

• BIOS: PCI Express Speed: Automatic, PCI Express Power Management: Off
  • PE4L: SW1: 1, SW2: 2-3

After using it for almost two months, it stopped working. I hadn't used it for almost a week.

My standard power-up process

1. DC adapter to PE4L 2.1b

2. USB 5V (connected to DC adapter) to PE4L 2.1b

3. PE4L to my laptop via ExpressCard Adapter.

4. Power up laptop and everything works.

However, at the moment, when I plug the 5V to PE4L, GPU fans goes really loud and fast, also nothing comes up to the laptop. Also nothing comes to Device Manager.

I also tried to take the 5V from laptop, but did not work.

An update to my situation:

I have not had a chance to test some other graphic card, but I tried a PSU just in case. Everything exactly the same.

The hijack trick works. Internal display still comes on but only in non-functional 4-bit grayscale. Hope that doesn't damage anything, it's definitely a bit unsettling.

• Thumbs Up 2

2013 Haswell 13" Macbook Pro + PE4L 2.1b + Sonnet Echo Expresscard + [email protected] under Win7 inc DIY eGPU Setup 1.30

Great for our Spanish speaking community, a step-by-step youtube video tutorial by Oscar Montero on how to attach the hardware and configure the software to get this all working in BIOS/MBR (Bootcamp) mode:

i5-2410M 2.3 HP DV6 + HD6870 (mPCIe)

Plus another French youtube tutorial by TabiZzFR:

• Thumbs Up 1

Trying to get my first e-gpu setup working. I chose to go for low cost postable gaming system - my old HP 2540p + PE4C 1.2 + nVidia GTX750 + HP DPS-240MB-1 small form factor PSU. GTX750 seems to me ideal for e-gpu purposes. It´s power consumtion peak in load around 80 watts enables to utilize small PSUs.

But it seems to take too much adress space - laptop hangs at boot with express card inserted and won´t boot at all. When I insert while running windows 8, I get the error 12. I saw other people in this thread to get egpu working with 2540p, so I must be doing something wrong.

Quick look at the mess in progress:

post-13827-14494997515109_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure about hanging on boot, but I've just spent ages trying to get my 750Ti to work as an eGPU, and have discovered the 750Ti/750 will require the use of Setup 1.x to get to work, especially under Windows 8/on a HP laptop.

I'm just about to try to get my 750Ti to work with setup 1.x right now, I will post results later today.

• Thumbs Up 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.