eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

hi.If I open wrong place,Im sorry but.I need to answer hurry.

I have a laptop,

ntel® Core™ i7-4700MQ 4-Cores; 6MB L3; 2.40GHz > 3.40GHz; 47W; 22nm

Chipset Intel® HM86 Express Chipset

VGA 2GB GDDR3 nVIDIA® GeForce® GT750M 128-Bit DX11

Ekran Boyutu 15.6" Full HD ( 1920 x 1080 )

Bellek 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3L 1600MHz SODIMM

mSATA Slotu 1x mSATA SSD Slotu

120gb ssd

802.11n Wi-Fi; IEEE 802.11a/b/g uyumlu Bluetooth 4.0

Ihavent got any express card and thunderbolt

High Power Plus Serisi 500W 80+ (HPC-500-G12S+)WTS PSU HIGHPOWER HPC-500-G12S 80+ 500W | Kaskus - The Largest Indonesian Community

SAPPHIRE HD 5830 Xtreme 1GB GDDR5 http://www.sapphiretech.com/presenta...id=1153&lid=1#

so I want to buy express extender card.there are two option.

1.PE4L-PM060A v2.1b (PCIe to Mini Card adapter) (PE4L-PM060A v2.1b (PCIe to Mini Card adapter) - M-FACTORS Storage)

2.EXP GDC Laptop External External PCI-E graphics card Mini PCI-E Set ATX(EXP GDC Laptop External External PCI E graphics card Mini PCI E Set ATX-in Laptop Docking Stations from Electronics on Aliexpress.com)

which one must I buy it.Which one is İt best choice?

@stalker8 - it'll be hard to find an opinion on whether to buy this or that on this forum as the moderators and top contributors provide scaling analysis in the sticky threads.

That being said, I don't know of anyone that has tired or provided benchmark analysis of the EXP GDC solution. However, their product looks newer and many are eagerly awaiting feedback before buying. It's pretty inexpensive - why not try the EXP GDC and help the forum out with feedback?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm HD 5830 AMD card?

Not sure what kind of implementation you might need to do in order to have it running.

Ask @Tech Inferno Fan.

My advise: Don't buy anything before having this checked!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm HD 5830 AMD card?

Not sure what kind of implementation you might need to do in order to have it running.

Ask @Tech Inferno Fan.

My advise: Don't buy anything before having this checked!

do you think useless with hd 5830? performans pass than gt750m enough for me now.after that If I can this system,I will buy better graphics card

do you think useless with hd 5830? performans pass than gt750m enough for me now.after that If I can this system,I will buy better graphics card

To be honest I don't think you will gain much at all.

AMD + PE4L2.1b/EXP GDC will only give a PCI-e 1.2 link, whilst NVIDIA cards have the benefits of utilizing Optimus Compression => 1.2opt link.

See 5830 vs 750M for comparison.

Alright guys. Even with help from angerthosenear - we couldn't find a solution.

My laptop absolutely wont detect the PE4l and its infuriating now.

Final resort suggestions?

Im thinking about sending the PE4L back.

AMD + PE4L2.1b/EXP GDC will only give a PCI-e 1.2 link, whilst NVIDIA cards have the benefits of utilizing Optimus Compression => 1.2opt link.

Pretty much this, I can't see the HD 5830 being much of a gain over the GT 750M unless you are doing stuff like CAD work or encoding or something that benefits from having more cores and isn't overly bandwidth sensistive. Your GT 750M would probably be much better if you are gaming. You might be able to OC your GT 750M nicely too.

The GT 650M (same core as the GT 750M) OC's really well.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3820QM Processor,Alienware M14xR2

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright guys. Even with help from angerthosenear - we couldn't find a solution.

My laptop absolutely wont detect the PE4l and its infuriating now.

Final resort suggestions?

Im thinking about sending the PE4L back.

I'm really sorry for you. Please if you have the occasion to test your gpu on a desktop or the PE4L with another GPU to determine what hardware can be faulty. It's a painful process but we need to investigate all possibilities.

• Thumbs Up 2

Pretty much this, I can't see the HD 5830 being much of a gain over the GT 750M unless you are doing stuff like CAD work or encoding or something that benefits from having more cores and isn't overly bandwidth sensistive. Your GT 750M would probably be much better if you are gaming. You might be able to OC your GT 750M nicely too.

The GT 650M (same core as the GT 750M) OC's really well.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3820QM Processor,Alienware M14xR2

hıım ı understand hd 5830 not good this system.so which one do you suggest PE4L-PM060A v2.1b (PCIe to Mini Card adapter) or .EXP GDC Laptop External External PCI-E graphics card Mini PCI-E Set ATX.and what should I buy graphics card for good result?

@jacobsson @angerthosenear hıım ı understand hd 5830 not good this system.so which one do you suggest PE4L-PM060A v2.1b (PCIe to Mini Card adapter) or .EXP GDC Laptop External External PCI-E graphics card Mini PCI-E Set ATX.and what should I buy graphics card for good result?

Personally I'd buy the EXP GDC v6.0 (ask the seller for the v6.0) and a GTX670.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sooo - I just ordered the EXP GDC as well. Just to test it out. I also have a GTX 670... haha

I'm wondering whether you can use a Thunderbolt to hdmi cable as opposed to the expresscard to hdmi and how that'll work... What do you think???

PS: I guess I should have asked before ordering, but if it doesn't work, I'll try to offload the EXP GDC to someone.

Sooo - I just ordered the EXP GDC as well. Just to test it out. I also have a GTX 670... haha

I'm wondering whether you can use a Thunderbolt to hdmi cable as opposed to the expresscard to hdmi and how that'll work... What do you think???

PS: I guess I should have asked before ordering, but if it doesn't work, I'll try to offload the EXP GDC to someone.

Naah, that sounds like putting propellers on a submarine. Don't you have a mPCIe port you can use?

If so you should be quick to tell Cloud Hero (the seller) to send you the mPCIe-version instead!

Than again @Tech Inferno Fan could prove me wrong?

New idea that I'm cooking up here, but I'm going to need some community help...

I only need a PCIe backplane that accepts a x4 input signal and transmits to a x16 or x8 PCIe Gen2 or Gen 3 slot. Something really similar to this backplane from Trenton systems. The aforementioned Trenton backplane is a "legacy" backplane, which I'm assuming has lower bus speeds and utilizes Gen1 PCIe.

There's a lot of really inexpensive server backplanes from HP, etc. which makes this very interesting.

I've been googling this entire week, trying to find a backplane with these characteristics:

- input is female x4 Gen2/3 PCIe slot (not PCI-x)

- output is x8 &/or x16 (can fit x16 card) Gen 2/3 PCIe