eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

I tried different SW1 settings, but it did not change anything.

To me it sounds like you might have bent the PE4L-EC cable a little to much when storing it?

It's unfortunately not an uncommon symptom.

Where do you live? I could send you one of my spare PE4L-EC (60cm or 100cm) and if you need it you can have for the price that feels right for you.

I wanted to benchmark Battlefield 4. Unfortunately, FPS stayed at about 20-30 FPS. GPU Usage seems strange, it's 30-50% all the time, while CPU Usage gets 100% constantly. Moreover, the GPU Render Test in GPU-Z shows barely 20 FPS. I tried 4 different drivers, turning ulps off, different PSU... Nothing helped. Do you know, what could be an issue here?

Try changing the Physx setting (from within Nvidia control panel) from autoselect or your CPU to the dGPU specifically.

To me it sounds like you might have bent the PE4L-EC cable a little to much when storing it?

It's unfortunately not an uncommon symptom.

Where do you live? I could send you one of my spare PE4L-EC (60cm or 100cm) and if you need it you can have for the price that feels right for you.

Thank you for that.

Is there any way that I could check the cable before getting a new one?

Also, if I understand correctly, the new PE4L-EC cable should be soldered in?

Try changing the Physx setting (from within Nvidia control panel) from autoselect or your CPU to the dGPU specifically.

Thank you, but I'm testing Radeon R9 270 now. I'll try with the GTX660 soon, so your advice may be useful.

Thank you for that.

Is there any way that I could check the cable before getting a new one?

Also, if I understand correctly, the new PE4L-EC cable should be soldered in?

How do you mean soldered in?

I have two PE4L-2.1b EC, one 60cm and one 100cm. Just tell me if you want to test one. I don't need them both so I'll gladly sell you one for cheap. PM me if you're interested :)

EDIT: Yes, correct. The cable is soldered to the board so it can't be repaired safely, meaning if you start re-solder the wires you're risking shortage and damage to your notebook.

I tried my setup again.

Tried different SW settings.

When I plug in the DC adapter to PE4L, gpu fan starts to spin really slow and none of the LEDs lighten up. When I now connect the USB to PE4L, D1 (power) lights up green, D3 (detect) yellow. If I now plug the PE4L ExpressCard to my laptop, D2 (flag) lights up red.

I tried my setup again.

Tried different SW settings.

When I plug in the DC adapter to PE4L, gpu fan starts to spin really slow and none of the LEDs lighten up. When I now connect the USB to PE4L, D1 (power) lights up green, D3 (detect) yellow. If I now plug the PE4L ExpressCard to my laptop, D2 (flag) lights up red.

I seems like you're on to something here. Could you use a 5v phone charger from the wall instead?

I'd even put both ac-adapter and phone charger in a power strip with an on/off switch. Turn on power on the strip, Then plug the expresscard during boot. Any improvement?

I seems like you're on to something here. Could you use a 5v phone charger from the wall instead?

I'd even put both ac-adapter and phone charger in a power strip with an on/off switch. Turn on power on the strip, Then plug the expresscard during boot. Any improvement?

I do not have a power strip with on/off switch right now, but I tried the 5V charger from wall and also straight from the computer, both got same results as before.

If I have the power connected (both AC and USB), D1 (green) and D3 (yellow) are lighted up. And now, if I plug in ExpressCard (computer is turned on), D4 flickers red and turns off, D2 turns red.

I do not have a power strip with on/off switch right now, but I tried the 5V charger from wall and also straight from the computer, both got same results as before.

If I have the power connected (both AC and USB), D1 (green) and D3 (yellow) are lighted up. And now, if I plug in ExpressCard (computer is turned on), D4 flickers red and turns off, D2 turns red.

Hmm, you don't happen to have a spare gpu to test?

Otherwise I'll have to send you my spare PE4L ;)

I was wondering if it would be better to use a graphics card with a blower (single) fan (which exhausts hot air out of the rear of the vga) instead of a double fan (which cools down more effectively but doesn't exhaust air out). I was wondering this especially if I'm going to use a closed enclosure. Would it be wiser to use a blower fan vga?

Hi guys, Im kinda new to this concept of eGPU. I got acer v3-771g laptop with i7 3630qm, 8 gb dual channel ddr3, va70_hc motherboard and integrated intel hd graphics 4000 as well with Nvidia GT650m 2gb ddr3, oh and ssd samsung evo 840 if that makes any difrence. I did quite a bit of research and endedn up that if I want to use eGPU i have to get pe4h with pm3n because all I have is a spare mPCIE. Question is would it work? as I notice nvidia gpus are more compatable with it due to its Optimus. But what GPU I could use to get most performance and not overpay for power that will not be used with mpcie? Thank in advance, please help the noob in this field :)

Hi guys, Im kinda new to this concept of eGPU. I got acer v3-771g laptop with i7 3630qm, 8 gb dual channel ddr3, va70_hc motherboard and integrated intel hd graphics 4000 as well with Nvidia GT650m 2gb ddr3, oh and ssd samsung evo 840 if that makes any difrence. I did quite a bit of research and endedn up that if I want to use eGPU i have to get pe4h with pm3n because all I have is a spare mPCIE. Question is would it work? as I notice nvidia gpus are more compatable with it due to its Optimus. But what GPU I could use to get most performance and not overpay for power that will not be used with mpcie? Thank in advance, please help the noob in this field :)

There are implementations that are on the first page of this thread. Please take a look.

It depends on your budget, but if you want my advice, get yourself a GTX660 or 750 Ti

I was wondering if it would be better to use a graphics card with a blower (single) fan (which exhausts hot air out of the rear of the vga) instead of a double fan (which cools down more effectively but doesn't exhaust air out). I was wondering this especially if I'm going to use a closed enclosure. Would it be wiser to use a blower fan vga?

Probably, but how would you do it? And that hot air would be blowing in the case so the temps are going up anyway.

Probably, but how would you do it? And that hot air would be blowing in the case so the temps are going up anyway.

I don't exactly understand what you are saying. If I use a blower fan (they use to call this way fans which exhaust out of the pci-express bracket) it won't blow inside the enclosure, it will blow outside.

I don't exactly understand what you are saying. If I use a blower fan (they use to call this way fans which exhaust out of the pci-express bracket) it won't blow inside the enclosure, it will blow outside.

Nevermind. I don't know why I was thinking a fan that would be on the GPU. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Hey Guys!

I registered on these forums hoping to find a solution on why this setup doesn't work on my laptop.

The laptop I am using is a Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 (Augmented into i7 cpu and 8 gigs RAM, and i have an Intel HD 3000)

More details of the laptop can be founds here: Inspiron 15R Laptop Details | Dell

The GPU I am trying to get to work is a AMD Radeon R7 260X, details found here: AMD Radeon R7 260X Review & Rating | PCMag.com

The Adapter im using is the PE4L - EC060A V2.1b, as seen on this picture: http://www.hwtools.net/jpg/PE4L-EC060A%20V2.1b.jpg

Now here is the problem:

I set up everything, I have a power adapter to power the PE4L and the GPU. I dont have an expresscard slot, so i am using my internal PCI-E slot, which actually belongs to a wifi card, which i took out and replaced with an USB WLAN adapter, so I wont have to worry about not being able to access the internet.

I plugged the PE4L into the freed PCI-E dock, set up mostly everything as shown in all tutorials and guides seen here.

Still, no matter what i do, what i try, what sort of trick i find searching google for a solution, my laptop just doesnt even detect the GPU. (Im using Setup 1.x, doesn't work with that either). I am pretty sure the problem is software-sided, someone please help me!

Hey Guys!

I registered on these forums hoping to find a solution on why this setup doesn't work on my laptop.

The laptop I am using is a Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 (Augmented into i7 cpu and 8 gigs RAM, and i have an Intel HD 3000)

More details of the laptop can be founds here: Inspiron 15R Laptop Details | Dell

The GPU I am trying to get to work is a AMD Radeon R7 260X, details found here: AMD Radeon R7 260X Review & Rating | PCMag.com

The Adapter im using is the PE4L - EC060A V2.1b, as seen on this picture: http://www.hwtools.net/jpg/PE4L-EC060A%20V2.1b.jpg

Now here is the problem:

I set up everything, I have a power adapter to power the PE4L and the GPU. I dont have an expresscard slot, so i am using my internal PCI-E slot, which actually belongs to a wifi card, which i took out and replaced with an USB WLAN adapter, so I wont have to worry about not being able to access the internet.

I plugged the PE4L into the freed PCI-E dock, set up mostly everything as shown in all tutorials and guides seen here.

Still, no matter what i do, what i try, what sort of trick i find searching google for a solution, my laptop just doesnt even detect the GPU. (Im using Setup 1.x, doesn't work with that either). I am pretty sure the problem is software-sided, someone please help me!

Did you try to plug the eGPU to your laptop with or without Setup 1.x? Before turning on the laptop? When you turn on the eGPU setup you should have a green and orange lights. Try playing around.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did you try to plug the eGPU to your laptop with or without Setup 1.x? Before turning on the laptop? When you turn on the eGPU setup you should have a green and orange lights. Try playing around.

I tried every possible thing o.o

Setup 1.x, Hot plugging, anti whitelisting the PCI, messing around with the delay, Im about to give up :(

Im really fustrated cause i spent a lot on this setup.

I tried every possible thing o.o

Setup 1.x, Hot plugging, anti whitelisting the PCI, messing around with the delay, Im about to give up :(

Im really fustrated cause i spent a lot on this setup.

I was just messing with a M5110 (AMD version of the N5110) that came into the computer shop I work at. That WiFi card is in a horrible location...

Could you take a picture of your setup? You said you have the floppy power cable going to your PE4L and then the PCIe power cables going to your GPU correct? Does the GPU fan spin?

What lights on the PE4L adapter are lit and what color? This'll help the most.

What OS are you using?

• Thumbs Up 1

So the 12V 8A power brick finally arrived.

Right now I'm looking at ...

An express card PE4L

A GTX 750 Ti

A 12V 8A AC adapter

A T60p with an express card 54, internal ATI FireGL V5200, 2 GB DDR2 RAM, Windows 7 32-bit

I'm still looking at laptops to replace the one I have.

So I plugged everything in, and ... nothing. I tried all the switch configurations, and I couldn't find an express card configuration menu in the BIOS. There were some sparks when I plugged in the AC adapter and graphics card to the PE4L, which I thought was disconcerting, but nothing happened. If the card isn't plugged in and the PE4L is connected to the laptop and set to x2/4/8/16 mode, it lights up, but the LEDs turn off as soon as the card is plugged in. From my understanding, it's more or less plug in, install drivers, and go? I'm thinking maybe it's because it's such an old CPU? Or does the card require more power (there's no lead for the PSU on it, as it's a low-power card)? If anyone could provide input, that'd be great.

Hi guys,

I am having trouble identifying my Tolud size. I see 4x PCI bus, three have 5-digit address, one says 7F000000. None are A/B/C/D/E0000000.

I have Lenovo Thinkpad T500, which I am hoping to upgrade to from 2gb to 4gb RAM, so I need to know if my eGPU will still work with 4gb.

post-24010-14494997439812_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Hi guys,

I am having trouble identifying my Tolud size. I see 4x PCI bus, three have 5-digit address, one says 7F000000. None are A/B/C/D/E0000000.

I have Lenovo Thinkpad T500, which I am hoping to upgrade to from 2gb to 4gb RAM, so I need to know if my eGPU will still work with 4gb.

[ATTACH]11322[/ATTACH]

Thanks

TOLUD will change once you install 4GB so can't give you an answer until the RAM is installed. Besides, a the DSDT override can be used if your BIOS locks in a too high TOLUD that prevents eGPU allocation in 32-bit space.

I was just messing with a M5110 (AMD version of the N5110) that came into the computer shop I work at. That WiFi card is in a horrible location...

Could you take a picture of your setup? You said you have the floppy power cable going to your PE4L and then the PCIe power cables going to your GPU correct? Does the GPU fan spin?

What lights on the PE4L adapter are lit and what color? This'll help the most.

What OS are you using?

I tried to take a picture of everything possible.

First of all, here are my system specifications: http://puu.sh/7XZe7.png

And here is my setup.

1. This is my power adapter, an AC 230V: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40343524/Photo%2006-04-14%2011%2015%2056.jpg

2. My power adapter is connected to the swex with a 24 pin, as seen here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40343524/Photo%2006-04-14%2011%2016%2006.jpg

3. This is my r7 260x in a powered state and connected to the laptop and the PE4L, the fans are running: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40343524/Photo%2006-04-14%2011%2016%2019.jpg

4. These are the lights which are on when the PE4L and GPU are connected to the laptop, The Yellow and Orange one, (A red light shows up when the PE4L ISNT connected to the computer, but goes away once I connect it): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40343524/Photo%2006-04-14%2011%2016%2027.jpg

5. The PE4L is connected to the power adapted by a 4 pin as seen here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40343524/Photo%2006-04-14%2011%2016%2046.jpg

6. This is the mini HDMI i believe which connects the PCI-E port and the PE4L: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40343524/Photo%2006-04-14%2011%2017%2000.jpg

7. Same as above but closer, in case its hard to see on the previous picture: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40343524/Photo%2006-04-14%2011%2017%2006.jpg

8. Yet again the same as above, but with the original wifi card installed: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40343524/Photo%2006-04-14%2011%2021%2029.jpg

9. A picture of the PE4L itsself in case someone is interested: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40343524/Photo%2006-04-14%2011%2022%2035.jpg

Here are the properties of the Wifi Card when installed, which PCI port it uses, ect: http://puu.sh/7XZCU.png

Im really grateful for your help, and bigup on the Elfen Lied profile pic.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.