eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

What do You mean about microeGPU? What is connection between PCI-E generation and smaller eGPU? :)

I prefer MSI TwinFrozr or DirectCUII than Windfroce, I used to have maaaany GPU's but windforce is very good system but so fake plastic ;) DirectCUII and TwinFrozr are the coolest and the quitest as possible :)

Take a look that You high end CPU from SB is the same level (GS in 3dm11) like my TDP limited IB CPU (according to @Tech Inferno Fan results) :)

@bjorm - I was thinking if the card can be powered through the bus, then we wouldn't need the external power supply, so the physical space taken by the egpu can be effectively halved. I'm with you on the DirectCUII :).

Hey nando, what about idle power consumption in SB vs. IB? That's a very important factor in a mobile environment. Did you say anything about IB being more consuming at idle? This could only be tested on IB system, by pulling the IB cpu and plugging a similar specifications SB cpu...

@kaladeth: could you please try to see in throttlestop the voltage and TDP at maximum multithread performance and at x27 multiplier (such as nando is testing)? Also, what about the temps of your 2860qm? Thanks.

@noric - Sorry for the delay! Not sure if I used the program correctly, but the voltage is around ~1.23V and ~42.3W when set to Turbo. When set to x27 multiplier, the voltage drops to ~1.06V and ~24.1W.

post-19997-14494997106129_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

@kaladeth

Nice to see such a nice improvement with a change in CPU. My i7-2620M is only a smidgen better than the i5-2520M you had. You are tempting me to upgrade to one of the nicer i7 CPUs lol.

I see you have 3 displays. Have you done testing with 3 hooked up vs 1 hooked up? I noticed a pretty solid performance difference with a change in the number of displays active:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-43.html#post74494

(1 to 6 displays in that test)

@angerthosenear - Go for it! :) I think I tried testing with only 1 display hooked up before and didn't see a big difference. Too lazy to test again hehe.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard of someone successfully installing Windows 7/8 using UEFI on the Haswell MacBook Pro 2013 (late). Even better would be someone that has managed to use this model to UEFI install Windows and get a Thunderbolt eGPU connection (TH05 or similar).

Cheers

@noric - Sorry for the delay! Not sure if I used the program correctly, but the voltage is around ~1.23V and ~42.3W when set to Turbo. When set to x27 multiplier, the voltage drops to ~1.06V and ~24.1W.

[ATTACH]10834[/ATTACH]

Thank you very much kaladeth! :)

Did you get those results during the TS-bench? If that's the case, you did it right! It would be a great find for SB systems, because Tech Inferno Fan's findings here would appear to be limited to his specific system (HP 2560P).

Thank you very much kaladeth! :)

Did you get those results during the TS-bench? If that's the case, you did it right! It would be a great find for SB systems, because Tech Inferno Fan's findings here would appear to be limited to his specific system (HP 2560P).

You are referring to sskillz findings. He was seeing his i7-2760QM being TDP throttled to x27 4C mode, far less than the x33 4C it's capable of. <strike>Kaladeth is seeing his i7-2860QM running x32 4C mode, slightly down from the x34 4C it's capable of. Kaladeth's CPU can run x27 mode at 24W whereas skillz CPU was running x27 mode at 36W. That 12W difference at x27 load is because the i7-2860QM is a significantly more efficient CPU, almost as good as the premium Ivy Bridge quads shown here.</strike> Kaladeth's revised testing here showed his i7-2860QM is only x29 4C capable.

• Thumbs Up 1

After removal of the reduced section solution really is . Thank you! But the results yet . All variants of the two laptops and two cards as eGPU working combination has yet been found .

I suspect that the option of HP EliteBook 8470p AMD Radeon HD 7570M + PE4H-EC060A V3.2 + Radeon R9 270 can not fly at all , as only a bunch of possible AMD dGPU + AMD eGPU. Driver for mobile card card driver kills eGPU and vice versa. Featured previously leshcatlabs.net . drivers designed for ligament Intel + AMD and AMD + AMD I normally do not get up .

I've already done DSDT override the main laptop HP EliteBook 8470p and PCI compaction-> Run compact. But drivers are not normally two cards AMD has not risen.

I hope to score a bunch (after DSDT override) HP Probook 4530s + RADEON HD 4870 PE4H ( or Radeon R9 270 ) disabled dGPU, working with iGPU and eGPU? Frankly , this configuration is weak and does not suit me .

I'm starting to think that you have to buy the card Nvidia ( eg GTX650ti, she climbs into my box PE4H-EC060A V3.2) and forget about the AMD cards in eGPU as a nightmare ...

Once switched the BIOS setting "Express card" from "Generation 2" to "Generation 1", once it worked like clockwork.

Prior to this, even with the card GTX650ti constantly blue screen, there was no change to eGPU and had some problems.

P.S. By default, the BIOS stands "Generation 1". I do not know why I switched it before all experiments eGPU.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi guys, new to the forum.

I'm getting my HP 8470p i5 3210m 2.3 Going with my gtx 560TI @x1.2 960/2030mhz

I seem to be getting terrible frames in Battlefield 4(mid 20s- low 30s) 1680x1050 All low, no AA, and I am starting to think that it might be more of a CPU bound issue

Is this normal for my setup? I have been unable to find a compilation of game performance per E-Gpu

...but I had to spend time splicing and soldering a new PCI Express power connector among other non-eGPU project priorities, so I'm starting back at the beginning again...

Did your setup work before these PCI-power modifications?

Did you perhaps change power-source as well?

Just for fun, try disabling the HD3650 in Setup 1.3, then running the compaction afterwards. Maybe the BIOS isn't disabling the dGPU properly.

When soldering the PCIe power pin, make sure you connect all the ground lines. At least on the 6-pin connector, the middle ground runs "plug detect" logic for the card. Also, have you tried a new PSU? Most of the issues I've seen in the past few years result from a bad power supply.

Thank you very much kaladeth! :) Did you get those results during the TS-bench? If that's the case, you did it right! It would be a great find for SB systems, because Tech Inferno Fan's findings here would appear to be limited to his specific system (HP 2560P).

@noric - I didn't run TS Bench sorry... I reviewed nando's test procedure and did the test properly this time (I hope!). Here's the full table, including temperature Max:

x12 x23 x24 x25 x26 x27 x28 x29 x30 x31 x32 x33 x34 x35
i7-2860QM VID 0.8206 0.9707 0.9857 1.0007 1.0308 1.0558 1.0858 1.1158 XX XX XX XX XX XX
45W / kaladeth TDP 14 27.8 29.4 31.1 33.5 37.6 41.2 44.2 XX XX XX XX XX XX
TEMP 68 73 78 80 83 86 90 93

When I try to go past x29 the power goes past 45W for a few cycles and the CPU gets throttled back down to ~x28.6.

@Nando - Do you think running with a better heat sink / without the back cover will let the 2860QM go past x29? Would you know if it can reach x32 theoretically?
  • Thumbs Up 1

@noric - I didn't run TS Bench sorry... I reviewed nando's test procedure and did the test properly this time (I hope!). Here's the full table, including temperature Max:

i7-2860QM VID 0.8206 0.9707 0.9857 1.0007 1.0308 1.0558 1.0858 1.1158 XX XX XX XX XX XX

When I try to go past x29 the power goes past 45W for a few cycles and the CPU gets throttled back down to ~x28.6.

@Nando - Do you think running with a better heat sink / without the back cover will let the 2860QM go past x29? Would you know if it can reach x32 theoretically?

According to our findings, a cooler CPU environment (no bottom cover/better heatsink etc) prevent this kind of throttling. For example my 3820QM could only handle x34 for a couple of seconds, then x33 for a minute, then settles @x32.5. I made some cooling improvements and now I run x34 for a full run of TS 1024M w/o problems.

If you can lower your temps you will be able to hold x29 for much longer, but I don't believe you will go past x29 since you CPU never indicated to do this even for a short while.

Also, I guess you are using a 90W ac-adapter?

EDIT: You can clearly see that your CPU throttles @~93c, which also seems to be the limit for our 37XXQM/38XXQM. The Goal is simply to stay below ~93c.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for replying! Unfortunately not the results we were hoping for sandy bridge laptops... :( I don't think you'll be able to go past x29, because even if you lowered the temps, you are already hitting the 45W tdp wall. However, you may want to increase thermal dissipation so that you can run x29 in a more fresh environment. 93° is quite high.
  • Thumbs Up 1

The reason for what you are seeing has noted by Jacobsson and Noric as being dueo to your 32nm SB CPU being 45W TDP throttled to x29 @93 degrees. Only way I could see you hitting x32 would be (1) to improve cooling significantly to drop temps which would allow (2) installation of a 55W TDP i7-2920XM with an extra 10W TDP headroom to allow x32 mode.

Though doing both is more costly and complex then simply offloading the 6460b and instead getting a IVB 6470b/8470p with a more power efficient x32 4C capable 22nm i7-3630QM, i7-3720QM or i7-3740QM. My very efficient i7-3740QM can do x34 4C mode. If I improve cooling further then I can get a full Throttlestop 1024M x35 4C mode bench run.

• Thumbs Up 2

It looks like NVidia is progressing well with their new 750Ti (Maxwell) significantly increasing energy efficiency so that it now pulls just 60W and is ~6 inch long (see here for the Anandtech review). That means that you could put one in the little Sonnet Echo Express SE II (still expensive) but should run from the internal PSU and still put out almost 40-50FPS in BioShock Infinite at 1080p Ultra Quality. All the pieces are coming together ... if only Intel would play nicely.

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks like NVidia is progressing well with their new 750Ti (Maxwell) significantly increasing energy efficiency so that it now pulls just 60W and is ~6 inch long (see here for the Anandtech review). That means that you could put one in the little Sonnet Echo Express SE II (still expensive) but should run from the internal PSU and still put out almost 40-50FPS in BioShock Infinite at 1080p Ultra Quality. All the pieces are coming together ... if only Intel would play nicely.

Holy crap 60W, that's really really awesome!

This makes me wanna build one secondary small eGPU as well :P

The pretty low-end 650-series will be obsolete after this.

Moar sauce here: Tom's Hardware GeForce GTX 750 Ti review

Would be interesting to see how these new Maxwell architecture scales on our limited 5Gb/s bus. Do you think we should expect any difference versus previous Kepler/Fermi cards? It looks like GTX 670/760 are already bottlenecking our x1 PCIe interface.

@Nando,

I am really interested in using my MBP for serious gaming, hence an eGPU seems to be a good solution and your DIY eGPU Setup one critical part of it. But actually, I have a SFF case in which i am very soon using to build a small desktop PC, decent CPU and GPU included. What I still need is a mobile monitor. Since my GPU in my SFF case will have a DisplayPort-Out and my Macbook has a Thunderbolt2/Displayport connector, I was wondering if I could send the image from my SFF desktop, on which I would play, to my Macbook's internal Iris Pro and ultimately my Retina display. The guys at Apple told me that it wouldn't work under OS X, but I would use Windows 7 anyway. Could your DIY eGPU Setup enable me to do what I want (just using the MBP as an external monitor for my desktop PC through sending the later's image to my retina display via DisplayPort)? Or does anyone have a clue how to do this?

Thanks a lot.

Btw, I have a late 2013 15" MBPr, Iris Pro, 2,6 GHz.

Would it be possible to use a 12V power supply such as theese? Or will the 5V requirement of the PE4L make this not possible?

Nothing wrong with using that power supply, but as you said, the 5V requirement for the adapter would need an additional circuit to dropdown the 12V to a 5V.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Nando,

I am really interested in using my MBP for serious gaming, hence an eGPU seems to be a good solution and your DIY eGPU Setup one critical part of it. But actually, I have a SFF case in which i am very soon using to build a small desktop PC, decent CPU and GPU included. What I still need is a mobile monitor. Since my GPU in my SFF case will have a DisplayPort-Out and my Macbook has a Thunderbolt2/Displayport connector, I was wondering if I could send the image from my SFF desktop, on which I would play, to my Macbook's internal Iris Pro and ultimately my Retina display. The guys at Apple told me that it wouldn't work under OS X, but I would use Windows 7 anyway. Could your DIY eGPU Setup enable me to do what I want (just using the MBP as an external monitor for my desktop PC through sending the later's image to my retina display via DisplayPort)? Or does anyone have a clue how to do this?

Thanks a lot.

Btw, I have a late 2013 15" MBPr, Iris Pro, 2,6 GHz.

So you essentially want to turn your MacBook pro into an external monitor? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe any of the connections on the MacBook are Input; they are all Output. Or if I flipped those around, you can only plug in monitors to your MacBook but can't use it as an actual monitor. Atleast that's how some of the older Macs are. Might be a way to hack it though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.