eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hi I have acquired an old thermatake PSU, just wondering whether it has enough juice to support a 560ti.

It has a single 12V rail with 18A on it (so 216W available), however I have read that 560ti's can draw up to 350W at peak power,

would I be better off just looking at a GTX 460 (which are surprisingly more expensive)?

Here is a picture of the PSU info:

post-16814-14494996607254_thumb.jpg

Hi I have acquired an old thermatake PSU, just wondering whether it has enough juice to support a 560ti.

It has a single 12V rail with 18A on it (so 216W available), however I have read that 560ti's can draw up to 350W at peak power,

would I be better off just looking at a GTX 460 (which are surprisingly more expensive)?

Here is a picture of the PSU info:

[ATTACH]9823[/ATTACH]

That would be adequate. I use a 550W PSU with my 660 Ti with no issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used a basic 12V/17A one for http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2903-%5Bguide%5D-12-hp-2560p-gtx560ti%40x1-2opt-pre-pe4l-ec060a-2-1b.html#post40072 . Yours is a Thermaltake which tend to make higher quality PSUs. You will have no power starvation problems with that PSU and a GTX560Ti.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was lookin it up, not seeing anything about a TB port, just miniDP (on certain models). Link to the exact model you are looking at?

Not that knowledgable on TB eGPU builds, but I'd guess it is fairly simple. Decently plug-n-play. Might need to use Setup 1.x to allocate enough PCI space.

I think only 15 inch models have thunderbolt

HP Spectre XT TouchSmart Ultrabook 15-4010nr Product Specifications HP Spectre XT TouchSmart Ultrabook 15-4010nr | HP® Support

Warning. Had a user try to get a Spectre XT going. We found that the Thunderbolt controller refused to open an I/O port access (memory was OK) so would get the dreaded error 12. With no datasheets on Thunderbolt controllers available the only thing possible was to revert the user back to HP to ask them to open the I/O port via a BIOS fix or software patch. Last I heard the user implemented an eGPU on an expresscard system instead. I recommend 5Gbps expresscard/mPCIe over 10Gbps Thunderbolt for ease of implementation.

That's disappointing, i can't buy a laptop mainly for connecting it to eGPU. I currently own a laptop without mPCIe slot, is it possible to remove the wifi card and use its slot ?

Here's a picture of it

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/images/HP-Pavilion-g6/pavilion-g6-disassembly-04.jpg

I was lookin it up, not seeing anything about a TB port, just miniDP (on certain models). Link to the exact model you are looking at?

Not that knowledgable on TB eGPU builds, but I'd guess it is fairly simple. Decently plug-n-play. Might need to use Setup 1.x to allocate enough PCI space.

I think only 15 inch models have thunderbolt

HP Spectre XT TouchSmart Ultrabook 15-4010nr Product Specifications HP Spectre XT TouchSmart Ultrabook 15-4010nr | HP® Support

Warning. Had a user try to get a Spectre XT going. We found that the Thunderbolt controller refused to open an I/O port access (memory was OK) so would get the dreaded error 12. With no datasheets on Thunderbolt controllers available the only thing possible was to revert the user back to HP to ask them to open the I/O port via a BIOS fix or software patch. Last I heard the user implemented an eGPU on an expresscard system instead. I recommend 5Gbps expresscard/mPCIe over 10Gbps Thunderbolt for ease of implementation.

That's disappointing, i can't buy a laptop mainly for connecting it to eGPU. I currently own a laptop without mPCIe slot, is it possible to remove the wifi card and use its slot ?

Here's a picture of it

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/images/HP-Pavilion-g6/pavilion-g6-disassembly-04.jpg

Does anyone have a 3Dmark11 P score that uses a quad core CPU (preferably ivy bridge or haswell), 670 gpu, and 1.2opt? Thinking of getting a 670 and I'm wondering what kind of boost I might see.

jacobsson - 3820QM:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3820QM Processor,Hewlett-Packard 17DF

MikjoA - 3612QM:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3612QM Processor,Sony Corporation VAIO

• Thumbs Up 1

So I am planning on ordering my PE4L today, just checking that my first gen i5 580M and QM57 (2.5GT's limited) will work fine with the PE4L 2.1b,

which designed for 5GT's. I assume that it is backwards compliant and the speeds will just be limited by my hardware.

Here's a picture of it

Yes, the wifi mPCIe slot has been used for eGPU implementations. No G6 specific guide as yet but can use the following as a close reference:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4494-%5Bguide%5D14-hp-pavilion-dm4-3000tx-intel-gtx650ti%40-x1-2opt-pe4l-pm060a-2-1b.html#post62811

MikjoA's guide nicely showing how the eGPU is attached via the mPCIe slot even creating an ingenious access door:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2158-diy-egpu-guide-sony-vaio-vpc-z2-svz13.html#post27918

Just ensure you have an Intel-based G6. If so, ensure you purchase a PE4L-PMxxxA 2.1b with the cable soldered on both ends to gain full Gen2 link performance.

Ok I got it working! The bootup sequence is tricky (boot computer, pause boot, switch on eGPU, wait for D1 to switch off, continue boot)... if I deviate from that process, the boot process doesn't continue or, the eGPU is not found. Otherwise, there were no problems with memory allocation.

My setup again:

HP ProBook 6460b (with Intel HD Graphics 3000)

Intel Core i5-2520M

EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

PE4L ver.2.1b

PCIe 2.0 enabled in the BIOS

3dm06 = 17268 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2520M Processor,Hewlett-Packard 161C

3dm11 = P5942 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2520M Processor,Hewlett-Packard 161C

post-19997-14494996630567_thumb.jpg

Here are a few more pictures. I stuck everything in a SilverStone Sugo SG02F case (still plenty of room in there!), I then used it as a stand for my laptop, and hid the whole mess behind my center monitor. Game on!

post-19997-14494996672365_thumb.jpg

I did have a few questions:

1. The benchmark scores seem a tad low (above figures are for external monitor) compared to what you guys are getting... did I miss a step?

2. I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers, so am I already at x1.2Opt?

3. Is x1.2Opt just for Fermi cards or can the Fermi drivers also work for Kepler cards?

4. Does driving 3 external monitors affect the benchmarks (I see it running on only 1 screen).

5. Lastly, I can't seem to switch off Nvidia Surround after I've switched it on... has anyone encountered this too?

Appreciate any tips!

post-19997-14494996670206_thumb.jpg

post-19997-14494996671305_thumb.jpg

Damn that's a nice improvement. Thanks!

1. The benchmark scores seem a tad low (above figures are for external monitor) compared to what you guys are getting... did I miss a step?

@MikjoA 's score is with a really nice OC, my score is with a slight factory OC.

3Dmark11 is much more depended on GPU perfomance, compared to 3Dmark06 which depends much more on CPU performance (that's why I have better 06 score).

So expect a little bit lower 3DMark11 score w/o OC,

Hope it helps!

• Thumbs Up 1

@Tech Inferno Fan it's not a big issue, most of games run smooth and flawless but there are often stuttering in wide areas. I don't have any hardware issue and Gen2 link is working perfectly.

@EpicBlob that's exactly what is in my mind that some frames are skipped due to the CPU not handling enough. Even when the graphics are lowered and the res. I still have stuttering.

I guess I'll need some new CPU. Damn it. Anyways thanks for your support.

Sadly the GPU is paired with an Amd A10. Which bottle necks the GPU terribly. Hmmm... With an egpu on the mini pcie port, would I be able to run ac4 and bf4 on ultra with more than 40fps? Gtx680 of course.

@coyote , @flyhotstuff

Take a look at this:

Battlefield 4 Benchmarked: Graphics & CPU Performance > Benchmarks: CPU Performance - TechSpot

• Thumbs Up 2

@MikjoA 's score is with a really nice OC, my score is with a slight factory OC.

3Dmark11 is much more depended on GPU perfomance, compared to 3Dmark06 which depends much more on CPU performance (that's why I have better 06 score).

So expect a little bit lower 3DMark11 score w/o OC,

Hope it helps!

Thanks! Yeah I usually want to base performance on 3dMark11 because of this (and it's newer lol).

Also, what kind of fps do you get in games? I know the 5Gb/s will limit the boost I get compared to upgrading from a 660 to 670 in a desktop, but I'm sure there will still be a boost. If you've tried out Battlefield 4 that would be great to know :)

Ok I got it working! The bootup sequence is tricky (boot computer, pause boot, switch on eGPU, wait for D1 to switch off, continue boot)... if I deviate from that process, the boot process doesn't continue or, the eGPU is not found. Otherwise, there were no problems with memory allocation.

My setup again:

HP ProBook 6460b (with Intel HD Graphics 3000)

Intel Core i5-2520M

EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

PE4L ver.2.1b

PCIe 2.0 enabled in the BIOS

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2520M Processor,Hewlett-Packard 161C

P5942

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2520M Processor,Hewlett-Packard 161C

[ATTACH]9854[/ATTACH]

I did have a few questions:

2. I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers, so am I already at x1.2Opt?

3. Is x1.2Opt just for Fermi cards or can the Fermi drivers also work for Kepler cards?

4. Does driving 3 external monitors affect the benchmarks (I see it running on only 1 screen).

5. Lastly, I can't seem to switch off Nvidia Surround after I've switched it on... has anyone encountered this too?

Appreciate any tips!

1. Still better than mine with a 2620M and a GTX 660Ti, so that looks about right.

2. Yes (looks like it), run 3dmark06 to verify

3. You will have x1.2Opt with your card.

4. A little. See my benchmark list here. I tested on 3 external screens for ya. Also did 4 external and 1+1 internal (internal LCD + 1 monitor connected directly to laptop).

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-43.html#post74494

5. I'm able to freely switch it on or off, but since I have different sized screens this isn't useful at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Very interesting, I've ordered a i7-3632QM that should be in my possession Wednesday or Tuesday, and from what I read upgrading for a 4 cores would really improve FPS. That would be great considering that the GPU could hit like 35-40 fps on high settings and 1360x768 without dropping from these values. Yay :)

Thanks! Yeah I usually want to base performance on 3dMark11 because of this (and it's newer lol).

Also, what kind of fps do you get in games? I know the 5Gb/s will limit the boost I get compared to upgrading from a 660 to 670 in a desktop, but I'm sure there will still be a boost. If you've tried out Battlefield 4 that would be great to know :)

page ago posted similar: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-222.html#post75157

and in my post found what? benchmarks?

Whoops completely missed that post lol my bad. But I want to see if I can get a consistent 60+fps 1080p if I upgrade to a 670. I can get a almost perfect consistent 60 on low 1080 with my 660, but I wouldn't mind to bump up a few of the settings. You have a 760 which is close but not quite as powerful as a 670. What kind of framerate would you get if you bumped up the res to 1080 and lowered the settings to medium? Also is this internal or external screen?

Whoops completely missed that post lol my bad. But I want to see if I can get a consistent 60+fps 1080p if I upgrade to a 670. I can get a almost perfect consistent 60 on low 1080 with my 660, but I wouldn't mind to bump up a few of the settings. You have a 760 which is close but not quite as powerful as a 670. What kind of framerate would you get if you bumped up the res to 1080 and lowered the settings to medium? Also is this internal or external screen?

I'll do some test tomorrow on BF4 with 1080p on medium preset, external.

Hi everyone, first time posting in the V2.0 version of the forums! I might be the first one to try an eGPU on a W110ER. I bought just a regular breakout adapter for the wireless slot for my laptop. It comes with a foot long flatflex cable (I'll just post a pic) so anyways, it works flawlessly. No issues with booting up or timing issues which I had with my old T420 (even after they fixed the TLOUD issues on the BIOS) This laptop does have a 650M which does nothing when my 550ti is plugged. The nvidia card inside the laptop isn't connected to any physical port like my G46VW so I don't disable it at all which is nice. It works on my internal screen just fine too! I am going to purchase either a 7xx series card or an AMD card (both work great tested a 290x which my friend had but forgot to take pics sorry guys!) His 290x ran at 3.0 x1 which means 1GB/s so above 70% performance of the card at the lowest.

PICS:

imgur: the simple image sharer

imgur: the simple image sharer

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.