eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Since disabling the inbuilt SDHC gave you some PCIe space to allow it to be detected, a DSDT override would be useful in this case. What OS are you running?

Are you connecting the eGPU while the computer is off? I know there are some things when you put the computer to sleep and then connect to sometimes to get it working.

If you get your .dsl file, I can edit it for you (just upload it somewhere).

That black screen problem seems really odd.

@angerthosenear I really appreciate your help.

I have uploaded my dsl file at http://techrevol.com/egpu/dsdt-sameer-original.dsl

Also the blank screen problem in real was extended display. my desktop was going on the external display so nothing was there on the laptop display. :playful: However I did not see any output on external display.

Today I have reinstalled windows and its not detecting egpu again :D: I think i need the dsdt override.

Thank you very much.

Do you have a monitor hooked up to it? Is video output working (aka do you see stuff on that screen)? That would indicate it is working. If you have a Intel 6-series or later and want to see if it is running at Gen2 speed. Open up GPU-Z and see if it says 'x1 2.0' This would indicate x1.2 link. Can get Optimus compression this way. Not sure on AMD systems.

Not sure exactly how you have it hooked up though.

I'm fully using an external monitor.

I've included a screenshot of my GPU-Z

post-17980-14494996558818_thumb.gif

@angerthosenear I really appreciate your help.

I have uploaded my dsl file at http://techrevol.com/egpu/dsdt-sameer-original.dsl

Also the blank screen problem in real was extended display. my desktop was going on the external display so nothing was there on the laptop display. :playful: However I did not see any output on external display.

Today I have reinstalled windows and its not detecting egpu again :D: I think i need the dsdt override.

Thank you very much.

Wow, sure enough you do not have a single DWord entry. Not gonna lie, I kinda guessed here. In mine, the DWord stuff is under the 'Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate () ' section. I located the BUF0 in your dsl file and found a 'Memory32Fixed' entry, I do not have this in mine - not really sure what this does. I added the QWord entry into this BUF0 spot (since it is the same as in mine). Not sure why yours is so dramatically different.

Possible DSDT override file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19774443/ShareX/2013-11/dsdt-sameer-maybe-override.dsl

Screenshot of what I am talking about:

http://i.imgur.com/xdVjprJ.png

(My QWord is at the bottom of that list / way off screen).

No guarrantees if that will work. I guess worth a shot. If you notice, the BUF0 is under a Device HPET which is under the main Device PCI0. So I'm thinking it might work since it still is under the PCI0 device. Not really sure. Not really sure who to ask about this. ~Prods @Tech Inferno Fan for input~

For loading your file (if you do not know), you can see my guide here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3539-guide-dsdt-override-simultaneous-igpu-dgpu-egpu.html

(in the spoiler, down a bit - I have the iasl and asl stuff in the download link at the top of the spoiler)

I'm fully using an external monitor.

I've included a screenshot of my GPU-Z

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9773[/ATTACH]

You are getting the full Gen2 speed.

I'm not sure what it is either, but I recall seeing a message during the install of Setup 1.x that you need to remake the file if you change the amount of RAM.

C:\eGPU

run the eGPU-Setup-mount

this will open the DIYEGPUIMG (V: )

then go to V:\devcon

you will see the mkdevcon.bat inside that folder

Hopefully that will do something and allow you to have more RAM

I think sgogeta4 was referring to the issues with Lenovo's most recent BIOS that I had a question about as well. I have no idea if a workaround had been found for it but it seemed lika as of 6 months ago there wasn't one. I'd be nice if this was it but I wouldn't be able to confirm it for a while (I just ordered an X230t w/ 16GB RAM yesterday).

I think sgogeta4 was referring to the issues with Lenovo's most recent BIOS that I had a question about as well. I have no idea if a workaround had been found for it but it seemed lika as of 6 months ago there wasn't one. I'd be nice if this was it but I wouldn't be able to confirm it for a while (I just ordered an X230t w/ 16GB RAM yesterday).

AAAHH, I forgot about that issue with Lenovos. No idea then.

Okay thanks, so should I document my eGPU project in the implementation list? Open a new GUIDE thread?

Up to you, can either be here or a new thread. I dunno what model laptop you have (someone might have a Guide thread already). Don't think it really matters.

Hello,

I plan to buy a thin laptop and do a eGPU for gaming with it but I am not on a rush. Thus, I would like to know if you think it makes sense to wait for more laptop offer with TB2 or not. I did some research and it seems that not a lot of laptops with TB2 are going to be released soon but I might be wrong.

Wow, sure enough you do not have a single DWord entry. Not gonna lie, I kinda guessed here. In mine, the DWord stuff is under the 'Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate () ' section. I located the BUF0 in your dsl file and found a 'Memory32Fixed' entry, I do not have this in mine - not really sure what this does. I added the QWord entry into this BUF0 spot (since it is the same as in mine). Not sure why yours is so dramatically different.

Possible DSDT override file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19774443/ShareX/2013-11/dsdt-sameer-maybe-override.dsl

Screenshot of what I am talking about:

http://i.imgur.com/xdVjprJ.png

(My QWord is at the bottom of that list / way off screen).

No guarrantees if that will work. I guess worth a shot.

The HPET is High Precision Event Timer., also the "Memory32Fixed" must be some function which fixes something in the passed addresses.

btw, I tried to compile the dsdt you gave, but its throwing errors,

http://forum.techinferno.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9774&d=1385662981

I am starting to doubt if I need different version of dsdt editor?

Are there any new versions?

@Tech Inferno Fan can you guide me regarding this?

Hello,

I plan to buy a thin laptop and do a eGPU for gaming with it but I am not on a rush. Thus, I would like to know if you think it makes sense to wait for more laptop offer with TB2 or not. I did some research and it seems that not a lot of laptops with TB2 are going to be released soon but I might be wrong.

Please review http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-206.html#post72862 . Best value and convenient configuration atm is a Sandy/Ivy Bridge expresscard notebook with expresscard eGPU. TB2 is only in 2 Apple notebooks with the eGPU adapter costing a small fortune in itself. Thunderbolt is just too expensive to be mainstream atm. If the $250 Silverstone T004 (or something equivalent) Thunderbolt-to-pcie adapter is released it could change that.

Hey Nando,

Sonnet Express EchoPro is a PCIe Gen2 expresscard to thunderbolt (which gives 5 Gbit/s | 500 MB/s), whereas PE4L supports Gen3 (which is 8 Gbit/s | 984.6 MB/s)

So, if sonnet (or any other vendor) releases PCIe Gen3 expresscard to thunderbolt adapter, can we use entire setup with current PE4L to achieve increased bandwidth? In-fact, are there any such adapter currently available?

You raise an interesting proposition. Certainly, if there was a Thunderbolt-to-pcie3 adapter released then it could downgrade from 10Gbps/20Gbps TB to 8Gbps pci-e 3.0 and so could use a PE4L-ECxxxA 2.1b at higher performance. The limitation here is the Intel Thunderbolt chip being used by those manufacturers. So far they only communicate at pci-e 2.0 speed on the pci-e slot end.

- - - Updated - - -

@Tech Inferno Fan can you guide me regarding this?
Hello guys

I already have "large memory" entry in my device manager.

Will I still need DSDT override?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9718[/ATTACH]

My machine config is

Dell vostro 1015

Processor: intel c2d T9600 (I have upgraded from the original t6600)

chipset: intel GM45

RAM: 6GB @800mhz

I have already soldered my EGPU by using @sonny_mv's pin diagram,

but its not detecting the card so far.

You already have a large memory area (6.5GB- 14.37GB) configured by the BIOS. There is no need for an additional DSDT override. If your soldered eGPU adapter is seeing the eGPU but have an error12 flagged against it then use Setup 1.x's 36-bit (12.25GB) PCI compaction to resolve the error 12.

Hello,

Also, with TB2 the Silverstone T004 should hopefully be released in a couple months. This would be very nice.

edit: dat @Tech Inferno Fan ninja.

I am currently trying to build an eGPU setup,i has a question: would a laptop charger rate at 19V-3,16A enough to power up my PE4H+MSI HD7730 1GB GDDR5 set ? Because when i plugged it in, the graphic fan only run momentarily before stopped and my system can't find the eGPU, i plugged an USB flash driver into the USB jack on the PE4H and it still showed up, so i guess my card is the problem ?

I am currently trying to build an eGPU setup,i has a question: would a laptop charger rate at 19V-3,16A enough to power up my PE4H+MSI HD7730 1GB GDDR5 set ? Because when i plugged it in, the graphic fan only run momentarily before stopped and my system can't find the eGPU, i plugged an USB flash driver into the USB jack on the PE4H and it still showed up, so i guess my card is the problem ?

Recommend get it going with an ATX PSU first which supplies ample 12V and 5V (downregulated to 3.3V). HD7730 has a 55W TDP which any basic ATX PSU can provide. Whereas your [email protected] (60W) AC adapter would be struggling to power it at full load due to 19V->12V power losses.

Still your AC adapter would have sufficient power to get it recognized by the pci-e bus if wired all up correctly.

Note: many systems require hotplugging the mHDMI cable (or EC2C/PM3N) after boot to get the video card detected. Setup 1.x being useful in getting card detected and resolving other issues in a pre-boot environment prior to chainloading to your OS.

Hi!

Help needed!

My system spec.:

Alienware M18 xR2

i7 3620M

Ram- 32GB PC16000

SSD SAMSUNG 840 PRO

(GTX 780 MSI@PE4L V2.1b+EC2C)-DIY EGPU

I use Setup 1.30

Windows 8.1

I have problem with external monitor, when speed is set to GEN2, monitor is not showing anything, in normal mode Gen1 all is perfect. Where can be the problem?

Trying to change dsdt QWord.. to QWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,

0x0000000000000000, // Granularity

0x0000000C20000000, // Range Minimum

0x0000000E0FFFFFFF, // Range Maximum

0x0000000000000000, // Translation Offset

0x00000001F0000000, // Length

,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

but after restart dsdt returns to its state

QWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,

0x0000000000010000, // Range Minimum

0x000000000001FFFF, // Range Maximum

0x0000000000010000, // Length

,, _Y0F, AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

Please help, how to change it. Dsdtoverride file changes after saving in DSDT Editor, but section Large memmory in (Device manager) is not shown and checking again after reboot inDSDT Editor shown's previous version.

@angerthosenear @Tech Inferno Fan

now the graphics card is detecting properly on my machine, thank you very much for your help and time.

I replaced the expresscard connector(which had couple of damaged pins).

Only thing that remains now is to activate Optimus. I have intel GMA 4500MHD but I don't see Optimus activated.

here is my GPUz

post-19169-14494996606984_thumb.png

System:

Dell Vostro 1015

Intel Core2Duo T9600 (upgraded, earlier it was T6570)

6GB DDR2 RAM @800mhz

Chipset: intel GM45 express

iGPU: Intel GMA 4500 MHD

Hard drive: 250gb Samsung(840) SSD

Dell Bios Revision 06

I will do benchmarks and post the scores soon.

Also, I will try to make my setup more modular and fit it in a container.

Will provide you updates soon.

---------------------------------

Update: I am getting blue screen fatal error after some time playing World of tanks.

I get it even when computing windows performance score.

@samiirds Since the eGPU is available on GPU-Z that means Optimus is doing fine. Now what bugs me is that you have only "DirectCompute" that's checked in the Computing options. I think it's because you don't have the Gen2 enabled. Someone should confirm that.

@all Now other questions, I saw that there are some tweaks to obtain more performance such as change the depth color from 32 to 16, or minimize the bus communication. Can someone please explain to my incapable brain what is it about (just the Bus tweak). Much appreciated.

The Y570 does not have ExpressCard so you would be stuck with having to use an internal mPCIe port. If you do not have one free you will have to pull your Wifi card in order to plug in your adapter (in this case a PE4L-PMxxxA whereas xxx is cable length, usually 60cm so PE4L-PM060A). A similar implementation of this type of setup would be shown here:http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2158-diy-egpu-guide-sony-vaio-vpc-z2-svz13.htmlYou will need the adapter (PE4L-PM060A in your case since you do not have ExpressCard), GPU of choice (I personally use a GTX 660 Ti), and a desktop PSU to power the card.I don't see any reports of anyone using that particular system with an eGPU implementation, so you would be the pioneer for that.You might need to disable your GT 555M in BIOS to give allocation room for the eGPU, but this can be iffy if the vendor disables the iGPU as well.
I think i can disable my GT 555M, there's a hardware button; it's like a switch to disable dGPU..1 more question, do i need setup 1.x??is eGPU installation easy? just plug it in my mPCIe slot, plug eGPU and PSU? or there's additional method i need to use?also, I have 1 more mPCIe slot.. i think that's for SSD.. is it okay if I use that slot?anyway, thx for ur answer and helping noobs like me..:)

I think i can disable my GT 555M, there's a hardware button; it's like a switch to disable dGPU..1 more question, do i need setup 1.x??is eGPU installation easy? just plug it in my mPCIe slot, plug eGPU and PSU? or there's additional method i need to use?also, I have 1 more mPCIe slot.. i think that's for SSD.. is it okay if I use that slot?anyway, thx for ur answer and helping noobs like me..:)

You might need Setup 1.x to disable your dGPU and allocate PCI space for the eGPU. eGPU installation is pretty easy. Plug the adapter into your free mPCIe slot, plug the eGPU and PSU in. Be careful with your free mPCIe slots. Sometimes they aren't actually mPCIe (like the one in my laptop). It might be for the WWAN adapter (do you have a SIM card slot in your laptop?), this connects using USB. Not sure how the plug is wired on your laptop (mPCIe, mSATA, USB).

- - - Updated - - -

Hi!

Help needed!

My system spec.:

Alienware M18 xR2

i7 3620M

Ram- 32GB PC16000

SSD SAMSUNG 840 PRO

(GTX 780 MSI@PE4L V2.1b+EC2C)-DIY EGPU

I use Setup 1.30

Windows 8.1

I have problem with external monitor, when speed is set to GEN2, monitor is not showing anything, in normal mode Gen1 all is perfect. Where can be the problem?

Trying to change dsdt QWord.. to QWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,

0x0000000C20000000, // Range Minimum

0x0000000E0FFFFFFF, // Range Maximum

0x00000001F0000000, // Length

,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

but after restart dsdt returns to its state

QWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,

0x0000000000010000, // Range Minimum

0x000000000001FFFF, // Range Maximum

0x0000000000010000, // Length

,, _Y0F, AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

Please help, how to change it. Dsdtoverride file changes after saving in DSDT Editor, but section Large memmory in (Device manager) is not shown and checking again after reboot inDSDT Editor shown's previous version.

You are not performing the DSDT override for Windows 8/8.1 correctly, you have to use Setup 1.x to load the DSDT table on boot everytime. Please see the information here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html#dsdtoverride

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-6.html#post31421

You can also see my guide thing in my signature.

@angerthosenear @Tech Inferno Fan

now the graphics card is detecting properly on my machine, thank you very much for your help and time.

Only thing that remains now is to activate Optimus. I have intel GMA 4500MHD but I don't see Optimus activated.

here is my GPUz

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9822[/ATTACH]

System:

Dell Vostro 1015

6GB DDR2 RAM @800mhz

Dell Bios Revision 06

Update: I am getting blue screen fatal error after some time playing World of tanks.

I don't think you can get Optimus with with the GMA 4500MHD.

@samiirds Since the eGPU is available on GPU-Z that means Optimus is doing fine. Now what bugs me is that you have only "DirectCompute" that's checked in the Computing options. I think it's because you don't have the Gen2 enabled. Someone should confirm that.

@all Now other questions, I saw that there are some tweaks to obtain more performance such as change the depth color from 32 to 16, or minimize the bus communication. Can someone please explain to my incapable brain what is it about (just the Bus tweak). Much appreciated.

This is something @MikjoA was looking into. He was hoping with SKSE he would be able to force different color depths, but the SKSE developer couldn't figure out how to do so. But yes, having a lower color depth greatly improves performance.

here is my GPUz

System:

Dell Vostro 1015

6GB DDR2 RAM @800mhz

Dell Bios Revision 06

As I know the Intel GMA 4500 MHD ist the first iGPU who support Optimus. But if you want to test it, run a DX11 Benchmark. Or test any Benchmark, the score must be higher as without the eGPU. On the laptop screen.

And the ViDock has announce new eGPU products, you can read it on the Facebook-page form ViDock... As Info...

@angerthosenear thanks I was able to switch from 32 to 16 bit but strange thing, I had worse performances...

By the way I noticed in MSI Afterburner that my GTX Core clock was 594, while GPU-Z is 1033Mhz? How could that be, is it because of bandwith limitation?? Also I want to make some overclocking any advices?

@angerthosenear thanks I was able to switch from 32 to 16 bit but strange thing, I had worse performances...

By the way I noticed in MSI Afterburner that my GTX Core clock was 594, while GPU-Z is 1033Mhz? How could that be, is it because of bandwith limitation?? Also I want to make some overclocking any advices?

I think the color depth setting would be something to do from within the program / renderer itself, no the standard display settings. Not sure exactly. I think this is why MikjoA asked the SKSE dev to see if he could force the renderer to use 16/24 bit.

The MSI Afterburner and GPU-Z differences I haven't seen before. Mine are usually the same. I don't overclock at all, so I cannot really help there. Any time I try I get driver crashes and artifacts lol.... This would certainly be something to ask others.

I think the color depth setting would be something to do from within the program / renderer itself, no the standard display settings. Not sure exactly. I think this is why MikjoA asked the SKSE dev to see if he could force the renderer to use 16/24 bit.

The MSI Afterburner and GPU-Z differences I haven't seen before. Mine are usually the same. I don't overclock at all, so I cannot really help there. Any time I try I get driver crashes and artifacts lol.... This would certainly be something to ask others.

Ok, although I find it strange that the performance drops when I change those settings, but I can be wrong since I use Crysis 3 to see how performance does and fps varies a lot since its very demanding game.

For clocks I'm looking to overclock right now I've unlocked voltages and I'll see how I can boost a little those clocks.

Thanks again

EDIT: Ooops Didn't unlock voltages yes. I thought it succeeded but I'm way to.

EDIT2: Voltages unlocked I see it changes values in GPU-Z :friendly_wink:

hello overyone

so i'm planning to try this eGPU thing when i buy hp spectre xt which has thunderbolt port

i've read the process multiple time and couldn't get it

after purchasing and connecting the hardware part, how hard will it be?

hello overyone

so i'm planning to try this eGPU thing when i buy hp spectre xt which has thunderbolt port

I was lookin it up, not seeing anything about a TB port, just miniDP (on certain models). Link to the exact model you are looking at?

Not that knowledgable on TB eGPU builds, but I'd guess it is fairly simple. Decently plug-n-play. Might need to use Setup 1.x to allocate enough PCI space.

hello overyone

Warning. Had a user try to get a Spectre XT going. We found that the Thunderbolt controller refused to open an I/O port access (memory was OK) so would get the dreaded error 12. With no datasheets on Thunderbolt controllers available the only thing possible was to revert the user back to HP to ask them to open the I/O port via a BIOS fix or software patch. Last I heard the user implemented an eGPU on an expresscard system instead. I recommend 5Gbps expresscard/mPCIe over 10Gbps Thunderbolt for ease of implementation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.