eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

I'm running one (external) screen through the eGPU. I shut the laptop screen itself to turn it off (I suspected that it was possible that the through-and-back across the link and driving two screens would make the eGPU unhappy).

I think that you and I and MikjoA are in agreement that it's likely this game which is doing it. Since the internal Intel HD3000 chipset is doing what most integrated graphics systems do (direct use of the on-board memory), there probably isn't any delay at all as textures load and such. Now it actually has to get paged to memory and sent across the link to get stuffed into the eGPU's memory and I suspect they may be storing up a bunch and just pushing it across in one fell swoop, causing the bus to saturate for a second and the game to stutter. I have been doing some research into it and apparently other people are having problems like the ones I'm experiencing on desktop hardware through a normal PCI connection. I'm starting to be convinced that it's not my setup causing this but the code of the game managing its interactions with the video card poorly, which isn't a problem for everyone. The developer who was in interaction with some other customers with this problem seemed pretty confused about why it's happening, and it may be a recurring issue with this game. I'll be testing out other games (I usually only play EVE) to see how well they perform.

Lemme know what you find out, I've been curious about this.

Hi all, my configuration is :

- ASUS K53SV

- i5-2410M 2.3GHz

- 6 GB of RAM

- Intel HD Graphics 3000 + Nvidia GeForce GT540M

- Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

It works on my laptop model?

i would like to use an external gpu like a 670gtx, which adapter can i use on the mpcie ( wifi mpcie), i have seen some posts in the forum but i still don't know if is better PE4H-PM3N 2.4 or PE4L-PM060A, is possible to use the monitor of the laptop?

thank you smile.png.pagespeed.ce.HpCntQets-.png

Hello,

I have issues with my t430 (16GB RAM hd4000 + NVS5400m) and a gtx560ti. I had previously succesfully done a egpu setup on my t420..

I have more than 3GB of ram installed therefore I encounter error 12. Lastest BIOS running on my t430.

Basically the problem is that I am stuck at the point where I can't turn off my dgpu from setup DIY eGPU Setup 1.x. before running the compaction..

In the menus of egpu setup I can only see dgpu-demoted but I don't have the option to turn off the igpu or dgpu... I don't have all the options as the guide is describing.

All igpu dgpu and egpu are listed on the right hand side..

If you could help me out on that one.. I have been struggling for a while now.

Hi Guys,

i´m a new Member and i will build me a eGPU,too. My Notebook is the HP Pavilion dv6-6008eg and it hasn´t a Expresslot34. So i can only build it with the mPCI-e Card Adapter.

I would buy the PE4L and a GTX660. But my Problem now is that my Laptop didn´t have a full-size mPCI-e Slot. You can see it on the Picture down there.

Can i also build a eGPU-Setup?

Thx for help Aienka

post-18564-14494996268899_thumb.jpg

Hi all, my configuration is :

- ASUS K53SV

- i5-2410M 2.3GHz

- 6 GB of RAM

- Intel HD Graphics 3000 + Nvidia GeForce GT540M

- Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

It works on my laptop model?

i would like to use an external gpu like a 670gtx, which adapter can i use on the mpcie ( wifi mpcie), i have seen some posts in the forum but i still don't know if is better PE4H-PM3N 2.4 or PE4L-PM060A, is possible to use the monitor of the laptop?

thank you smile.png.pagespeed.ce.HpCntQets-.png

PEAH 2.4 does not support gen2 speed. it's way better to go for a PE4L-PMXXXA which supports gen2 just like your laptop.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Guys,

i´m a new Member and i will build me a eGPU,too. My Notebook is the HP Pavilion dv6-6008eg and it hasn´t a Expresslot34. So i can only build it with the mPCI-e Card Adapter.

I would buy the PE4L and a GTX660. But my Problem now is that my Laptop didn´t have a full-size mPCI-e Slot. You can see it on the Picture down there.

Thx for help Aienka

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9281[/ATTACH]

I use mPCI-e too and it's not a full-size either, yet I have sligthly more space, I guess it would work on your laptop aswell, the PE4L can, at some point, be plugged obliquely.

If u can try to plug a full-size mPCIe device if it works obliquely then the PE4L will fit easily.

Thx,

But i didn't have a mPCIe Card. So you think i can buy it and it will works ?

I have seen a adapter it makes the half size to a full size mPCIe Slot ... If the Adapter won't fit in my Slot i can buy the adaper, and then it will works, or?

Gesendet von meinem GT-N8000 mit Tapatalk 4

Hi Guys,

Thx for help Aienka

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9281[/ATTACH]

splitframe told us here:

Can PM3N adapter be easily cut to fit in half size Mini PCIE slot ?

As you can see in this image the PM3N with the HDMI connector

has a predetermined breaking point, so yes, but the mHDMI plug

could be too thick/long so open your notebook and take a look.

el08.png

The image above shows a PE4L 1.5 + PM3N to highlight the nature of the PM3N adapter end. For your notebook you'd acquire a PE4L-PM060A 2.1b where the cable is soldered. The PM3N end that goes into the mPCIe slot however is the same.

It is only the soldered end cable on a PE4L 2.1b or a PE4H 3.2 that has been proven to reliably run a Gen2 (5Gbps) link, something your system is cable of. PE4L 1.5 or PE4H 2.4 with the socketted cable can only run a Gen1 (2.5Gbps) link.

hi guys my new Pe4L is finally here. Unfortunately my Benchmark score is quite low. My Pe4H 3dmark06 score was about 15k (you can still see it in the leaderboard). My new score now is 12232. any ideas what might be causing the problem? In the egpu setup my 560 is also only listed as x1.1 instead of pci2.0. :/ :( In fact, I just redit the 3dmark06 test and got only 10800. Weird.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/17413290

edit: to make matters worse I seem to be getting error 12 now all the time and cant even chainload the card anymore. I already tried 32bit 32Abit compaction with various options but does not seem to help at all... :/

edit 2: ok doing a 36bit compaction worked. I also set the g2 speed to 5gbps in the egpu setup... However, score is now 11343 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/17413345. So still quite far away from being 15k+ :( This is my original score with the Pe4H 2 years ago: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/15975981

edit3: GPUZ confirmed the card is running in 2.0 x 1 under load. So at least that's working...

Thanks again for the conversation. I decided to try out the EVE test server and the problem is completely resolved there, so I'll probably have to wait until the expansion in mid November to get this fix. I found out that they've been doing a lot of work on their engine to make it DirectX 11 capable, which I know is not a trivial matter. Eventually they plan to add all the pretty tessellation, which they demoed not that long ago. An already pretty game is going to look pretty glorious when they're done.

At least I know it's not my eGPU setup now! I tried out another game, Warframe, which I can run on absolute highest settings and, despite the fact that quite a few scenes have a lot of crap moving around and shooting at you, it is performing well. Looks like my eGPU conversion is an unqualified success. :)

Oh cool, glad to hear it.

I play Warframe too, you should add me (ign: angerthosenear). If you do 25 minute infested survival you can even bring your eGPU to it's knees with all the ammo/loot on screen. You get lots of Toxics onscreen that have their own little cloud so it's a pile of effects. Orokin Derelict stuff is also good to text, the environment is very detailed and the mob density is usually really high.

- - - Updated - - -

hi guys my new Pe4L is finally here. Unfortunately my Benchmark score is quite low. My Pe4H 3dmark06 score was about 15k (you can still see it in the leaderboard). My new score now is 12232. any ideas what might be causing the problem? In the egpu setup my 560 is also only listed as x1.1 instead of pci2.0. :/ :( In fact, I just redit the 3dmark06 test and got only 10800. Weird.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/17413290

edit: to make matters worse I seem to be getting error 12 now all the time and cant even chainload the card anymore. I already tried 32bit 32Abit compaction with various options but does not seem to help at all... :/

edit 2: ok doing a 36bit compaction worked. I also set the g2 speed to 5gbps in the egpu setup... However, score is now 11343 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/17413345. So still quite far away from being 15k+ :( This is my original score with the Pe4H 2 years ago: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/15975981

edit3: GPUZ confirmed the card is running in 2.0 x 1 under load. So at least that's working...

Seeing it has been two years. Is your CPU thermally throttling? Might have dust buildup or thermal paste that has gone bad. Everything software wise seems fine. I notice your CPU score is far lower too (thus I though of this).

Perhaps try cleaning out your lappy / repasting your CPU.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi nando,

i ordered a PE4L and i own a Dell Latitude e6420 Notebook. I have igpu Intel HD 3000 AND a dgpu nVidia NVS 4200M. Because of the NVS i think i have to use 1.x software.

The problem is that i fear using software 1.x because i currently use following boot manager: Boot-Manager Boot-US: Welcome

I use this boot manager to boot 2 systems. My work System on SSD1 (Windows 7) and my home system on SSD2 (Windows 8). boot-us bootmanager is nice because i can really hide partitions from both systems. So work admins do not see home partitions.

And i can easly swap out home SSD (it is optical drive bay). It would be bad if i would destroy this setting with software 1.x. Is it possible to run software 1.x only on usb stick and only if i need it. I would only need it in Windows 8. And only on weekends when iam at home.

Other thing i like to say is that i do not really need optimus. For me it would be feasible to use always an external monitor in windows 8. So would it be possible to connect the egpu poer it on and than start my notebook with external monitor on. What i read somewhere was that a latitude recognizes than the egpu as primary video card and uses it. That would be fantastic.

Thanks for your help and iam really willed to pay for your software! ;)

Best regards,

Adriano

you are right, the cpu does get too hot. Playing Dark Souls which only puts like 40-50% load on it the temperature seems to climb up into the high 90 and in idle its in the mid 70s. I'll see if i can get to the cpu somehow and give it a good clean/add some termal paste.

Hi nando,

i ordered a PE4L and i own a Dell Latitude e6420 Notebook. I have igpu Intel HD 3000 AND a dgpu nVidia NVS 4200M. Because of the NVS i think i have to use 1.x software.

The problem is that i fear using software 1.x because i currently use following boot manager: Boot-Manager Boot-US: Welcome

I use this boot manager to boot 2 systems. My work System on SSD1 (Windows 7) and my home system on SSD2 (Windows 8). boot-us bootmanager is nice because i can really hide partitions from both systems. So work admins do not see home partitions.

And i can easly swap out home SSD (it is optical drive bay). It would be bad if i would destroy this setting with software 1.x. Is it possible to run software 1.x only on usb stick and only if i need it. I would only need it in Windows 8. And only on weekends when iam at home.

Other thing i like to say is that i do not really need optimus. For me it would be feasible to use always an external monitor in windows 8. So would it be possible to connect the egpu poer it on and than start my notebook with external monitor on. What i read somewhere was that a latitude recognizes than the egpu as primary video card and uses it. That would be fantastic.

Thanks for your help and iam really willed to pay for your software! ;)

Best regards,

Adriano

Your E6420 would likely behave the same as the E6230 I tested when an eGPU is detected on bootup. There it replaces the iGPU as the primary video bootup device. Having either the eGPU or iGPU as the primary device makes no difference in performance if using a AMD card. It does however affect performance if using a NVidia card since NVidia gains two features if a primary iGPU is detected on bootup. Those being x1 pci-e compression and internal LCD mode. The x1 pci-e compression accelerates mostly DX9 anywhere from 20-300%. DX10 sees some improvement as well.

Can see some performance differences between between x1 2.0 with no x1 pci-e compression and x1.2Opt with pci-e compression for a NVidia card at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2747-%5Bguide%5D-12-dell-e6230-gtx660%40x1-2opt-hd7870%40x1-2-pe4l-ec060a-2-1b.html#post37197

As for your Setup 1.x question.. there are currently two installation methods: a USB stick and a disk image install. Either of which will not affect the bootloader of your system. The disk image install works via the Win7/8 bootmgr so presents as another bootitem there. Only pre-requisite for either to work is you must be using a MBR/BIOS partitioning scheme rather than GPT/EFI. Newer systems come with GPT/EFI where Setup 1.x can only be used as a USB stick and for which there is only experimental chainloading atm. Best to avoid GPT/EFI.

Thanks for your reply, nando. Let me get it clearly.

- If i boot with egpu powered on my primary video card will be the egpu. Is it a problem that my dgpu is still running? And also both are nVidia. Are there no driver conflicts? Do i have than 3 GPUs?

- I got MBR/BIOS bootmanager, so i decide which system to boot. So is it correct than after this decisicon the Windows Bootmanager will popup, with WIndows boot or software 1.x egpu menu?

Best.

A.

Thanks for your reply, nando. Let me get it clearly.

- If i boot with egpu powered on my primary video card will be the egpu. Is it a problem that my dgpu is still running? And also both are nVidia. Are there no driver conflicts? Do i have than 3 GPUs?

- I got MBR/BIOS bootmanager, so i decide which system to boot. So is it correct than after this decisicon the Windows Bootmanager will popup, with WIndows boot or software 1.x egpu menu?

Best.

A.

I can only speculate about the dGPU+eGPU situation with your E6420 since I've not tested that. What I expect will happen is the eGPU will become the primary video card, dGPU will be secondary and iGPU will be disabled. The latest NVidia drivers working for both as shown by angerthosenear's nVS4200+GTX660Ti example at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3539-guide-dsdt-override-simultaneous-igpu-dgpu-egpu.html

Yes, if you do a disk image Setup 1.x install then you'd see a change in the Win7/8 bootmanager. Where previously it may have booted straight to Win7/8, ow you'd see a menu where you select whether to boot Win7/8 or Setup 1.x. You can see how this works by the video at YouTube .

Alrighti... After painfully taking apart the whole laptop I redid the thermopaste. The chinese did a pretty rubbish job at applying the old paste in the first place.

oz7n6.jpg

Anyways, the temperature dropped by about 20°C.

New 3dmark06 score is 15212. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2410M Processor,Dell Inc. 0YW3P2

Slightly lower than what I used to have 2 years ago, mainly from the SM2 score. Despite the PCI speed improvement. Hmm...

-snip-

New 3dmark06 score is 15212. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2410M Processor,Dell Inc. 0YW3P2

Slightly lower than what I used to have 2 years ago, mainly from the SM2 score. Despite the PCI speed improvement. Hmm...

Glad to see that helped. Not sure how to improve that final amount though. Background processes is all I can think of.

Alrighti... After painfully taking apart the whole laptop I redid the thermopaste. The chinese did a pretty rubbish job at applying the old paste in the first place.

-znip-

Dun worry about the 3DMark 06 score, it's not reliable for GPU performance... It is way too much CPU dependant, I think you simply cannot get better even with gen3 speed as long as you keep the same CPU, it explains the very similar scores. Even having a faster card wouldn't help much.

You'd better compare 3DMark Vantage, or even 11 or the latest 3DMark 2013 to see improvement from X1.1opt to X1.2opt.

Good news for Lenovo X230 owners. Released bios 2.56 fixes TOLUD problem.

As explained at X230, X230i & X230T expresscard adressing (eGPU) - Lenovo Community, quoted below:

<h2>X230, X230i & X230T expresscard addressing (eGPU)</span></h2><h2>Question</h2><p><span style="font-size: 12px;">I have a problem connecting an PCIe card to the expresscard slot on the X230. The PCI bus starts at DFA00000 and this simply does not leave enough aressing space for a device that require 256MB of adressing space.

This issue was fixed in the X220 in a BIOS update

<1.24-1.13> UEFI: 1.24 / ECP: 1.13 - (New) Improved memory resource allocation process to reserve more memory space for optional hardware devices.

Is it possible to implement this fix is the X230 as well.

<h2>Answer</h2>To all customerfacing an issuewith thePCIe card to the expresscard slot, you willrequiretoupdateyourBIOSin order to get thisfunctionning again. To DownloadtheBIOSplease clickon thelink below.

<a href="http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS029187" target="_self">X230 BIOS</a>

<a href="http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS029683" target="_self">X230T BIOS</a>

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it possible to set up an egpu on a Dell Inspiron M501R?

Since it does not seem to have an expresscard port, you will need to find an accessible mPCI-e interface, this mean you will have to open your laptop to see if behind its bottom plate there's mPCI-e you could use. I'cve done the same on my laptop an I've even made a hole for my eGPU.

But with your laptop you won't be able to benefit from optimus features which improve the eGPU performances and allow internal rendering (Optimus allows internal rendering even if the eGPU is not physically connected to your laptop monitor).

Is it possible to set up an egpu on a Dell Inspiron M501R?

Agree with Mikjoa. It's a poor eGPU candidate system since it has an AMD chipset with no Intel iGPU meaning no NVidia Optimus features plus no expresscard slot. It's also from ~2010 so CPU performance and battery life lag considerably behind Intel Sandy Bridge or newer offerings.

Suggest instead to offload it and purchase a Sandy Bridge or newer system with an expresscard slot and iGPU off ebay, eg: 15" HP Probook 4530s, Lenovo E520 or Dell Vostro 3550 are all inexpensive options. Can consider others listed at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list-%5Bthin-light%5D.html#post57159

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.