eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

GTX560Ti cards are fine. It's only the oddball GTX650/Ti/Boost that have given us problems as some require an AMD-like 256MB contiguous PCI space making them hard to fit on some systems. Other cards like GTX560TI/GTX660/GTX670 require 128MB + 64MB + 32MB or less so can fit into fragmented PCI config space.

Thank you Nando, I stand corrected. One more thing though, a GTX 560ti would probably be fine, but BF3 requires a lot of CPU and since you are lucky enough to have a socketed CPU you could always upgrade it later if necessary.

Ok thanks, I thought this would be the case :(

I am now thinking about a 560ti as apparently the 203W PSU is more than enough to handle one of them.

I can still run 1.Opt which should give me decent enough speeds though.

Should I be getting a PE4L 1.5 or 2.1? and also does it matter which HDMI cord I get? (A or B, I assume B is backwards compatible)

Assuming I am reading my tolud correctly I have a tolud of 3GB, which means there is no

need for me to perform a DSDT override.

Thinking about a 660 now instead of a 560ti now, similar performance, more compact and less power draw.

Just wondering. seeing as I have expresscard slot and (seemingly) a spare mPCIe slot can i run 2.Opt??

Pics:

post-16814-14494996262548_thumb.jpg

post-16814-14494996263305_thumb.jpg

post-16814-14494996262548_thumb.jpg

post-16814-14494996263305_thumb.jpg

You will want to use a nvidia card so you can get Optimus compression. This helps immensely with the bandwidth constraint you have. Yes, you can use the internal display but you will have a performance drop.

Hi all, I have a question to ask, my notebook was Acer AS4736z Intel GMA 4500M.

If I purchase PE4L-PM060A v2.1b + Gigabyte Radeon HD 6670 is it good on gaming? or Nvidia for best?

can I use internal notebook for display?

Ok PE4L2.1b bought :)

For @Tech Inferno Fan. I'm curious about it, can you please answer? Is MCP79MX PCI-E 1x 2.0 capable with PE4L2.1b? Thanks (for this thread too)!

There are MCP79 examples on the first post. From the performance results it looks like it's the same thing as Series-5 Intel chipsets. Ie: tools report pci-e 2.0 but it's for power management only. The link speed is still pci-e 1.x 2.5Gbps. One benefit of your chipset compared to similar era Intel ones is you get full AMD x1 1.0 bandwidth. Intel chipsets required x1E mode to get that. A negative of your chipset is it's not an Intel iGPU so using a NVidia Fermi/Keplar doesn't allow x1 pci-e compression or internal LCD use.

"doesn't seem to meet the minimum requirement to engage optimus"?

Which item can't meet?

Your system has an active 4500M/4500MHD iGPU so Optimus features (internal LCD mode and x1 pci-e compression) will engage if use a NVidia Fermi or Keplar card.

There are MCP79 examples on the first post. From the performance results it looks like it's the same thing as Series-5 Intel chipsets. Ie: tools report pci-e 2.0 but it's for power management only. The link speed is still pci-e 1.x 2.5Gbps. One benefit of your chipset compared to similar era Intel ones is you get full AMD x1 1.0 bandwidth. Intel chipsets required x1E mode to get that. A negative of your chipset is it's not an Intel iGPU so using a NVidia Fermi/Keplar doesn't allow x1 pci-e compression or internal LCD use..

I see... So, sadly it's x1 1.0. By the way, thanks for the reply.

Hey guys, okay so my PE4L have arrived, haven't tested it yet, but now I'm deciding to buy a graphic card, this is my laptop specs :

Intel i7 3630QM

Geforce GTX660M

8 GB ram

Windows 8 Pro

So, I was thinking to get either GTX 770 or AMD R9 280X, which one do you guys think is better?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Hey guys, okay so my PE4L have arrived, haven't tested it yet, but now I'm deciding to buy a graphic card, this is my laptop specs :

Intel i7 3630QM

Geforce GTX660M

8 GB ram

Windows 8 Pro

So, I was thinking to get either GTX 770 or AMD R9 280X, which one do you guys think is better?

Not enough detail to make a recommendation.

Which PE4L version and adapter, eg: PE4L-EC060A 2.1? Does your system have an active iGPU? With no model specified I can't look it up to find it myself.

Not enough detail to make a recommendation.

Which PE4L version and adapter, eg: PE4L-EC060A 2.1? Does your system have an active iGPU? With no model specified I can't look it up to find it myself.

It's PE4L-PM060A 2.1 and yes my laptop have iGPU intel hd 4000. Thank you for the quick reply.

It's PE4L-PM060A 2.1 and yes my laptop have iGPU intel hd 4000. Thank you for the quick reply.

Refer to the Performance Analysis section comparing a [email protected] and a [email protected] at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3062-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-mbp-gtx660ti-hd7870%40x2-2-th05.html#post42483 to decide if you want a AMD or NVidia eGPU.

imho NVidia Optimus' x1 pci-e compression that accelerates DX9 performance to AMD levels, superior DX10/DX11 performance and free internal LCD support with it's Optimus driver makes it the better featured choice.

However if you are evaluating pure external LCD performance alone then it may come down to individual game/app titles and their performance bias. Eg: if running mostly DX9 titles on an external LCD then there may be merit in getting an AMD card over a NVidia one.

Do note too that unless you have a dGPU/Optimus disable option in your bios you'll need Setup 1.x to disable your NVidia dGPU such that the eGPU x1.2Opt pci-e compression and internal LCD support is enabled. That will enable maximum performance from the NVidia eGPU.

One other thing, if you system isn't in the implementations list then please consider doing a [GUIDE] writeup once it's all up and running. Doing so helps others to be able to duplicate your results, sidestepping any little niggles.

• Thumbs Up 1

You may need to read this [link] to understand what is the "optimus pci-e compression" .

Basically Optimus can improve by a very good margin your eGPU performance.

How ? eGPU are bottlenecked by the too low bandwidth provided by the PCI-E X1 2.0 port, this means the bandwidth is theoretically 16 times weaker compared to a desktop computer having a full PCI-E X16 2.0 port. But optimus can compress data passing through this X1 PCI-e port which more or less makes our X1 port behave like a X2.

This is enough to get very good performances though.

I have Alienware M18XR2: 32GB RAM- 10600, SSD- 250GB Samsung 840 Pro, CPU- Intel i7 3630QM, Ext Gpu- GTX660Ti Gigabyte. (Ext. System PE4L V2.1b+EC2C)

When I bought EGpu 1.2 system, I have got problems, I cant launch system it, does not work properly in Windows 8 (Nvidia driver stops to respond periodically). Then I installed Win 7, and problems dissapeared, all was working fine on Gen speed 2, but with old EGpu programm 1.05b. Now I bought new video card GTX 780 MSI Twin Frozr OC, and have problem it can work only on Gen 1 speed. Maybe there is some way to get Gen 2 speed, where can be problem, maybe videocard is too powerfull? Maybe You can give instructions for installing Egpu 1.2, or if no solutions will be found, i will need my old GTX 660Ti.

Screen shot Failiem.lv

Waiting for replay, Thank You!

Screen of problem in EGpu 1.2- Failiem.lv

I have Alienware M18XR2: 32GB RAM- 10600, SSD- 250GB Samsung 840 Pro, CPU- Intel i7 3630QM, Ext Gpu- GTX660Ti Gigabyte. (Ext. System PE4L V2.1b+EC2C)

When I bought EGpu 1.2 system, I have got problems, I cant launch system it, does not work properly in Windows 8 (Nvidia driver stops to respond periodically). Then I installed Win 7, and problems dissapeared, all was working fine on Gen speed 2, but with old EGpu programm 1.05b. Now I bought new video card GTX 780 MSI Twin Frozr OC, and have problem it can work only on Gen 1 speed. Maybe there is some way to get Gen 2 speed, where can be problem, maybe videocard is too powerfull? Maybe You can give instructions for installing Egpu 1.2, or if no solutions will be found, i will need my old GTX 660Ti.

Screen shot Failiem.lv

Waiting for replay, Thank You!

Screen of problem in EGpu 1.2- Failiem.lv

Run Save Diags->compact_fails, boot into Windows, run c:\eGPU\eGPU-setup-mount to get V: of the Setup 1.x disk image. Archive the v:\diag folder, upload to mediafire.com and send a link.

I do not have network now, provider do some profilaction and syed that network will be only tomorrow. I' am seaman and tommorow will depart, will be back only after month. Maybe than will try to find sollution for this problem. Sorry for that. I will write later.

Greetings!

First, let me thank you Tech Inferno Fan for all of your tireless work answering people's questions regarding e-GPU setups for what has apparently been years! I've gone through your many posts and found that a lot of my questions have been answered about my own setup.

Hardware:

Laptop: Lenovo x220t (4294-CTO) tablet

GPU: PNY GTX 650Ti (part: VCGGTX650T1XPB)

Adapter: PE4L-EC060A v2.1b

Software:

Driver: NVIDIA stock driver ( 327.23 )

This is connected to a desktop LCD monitor (I don't really care about the performance of the internal LCD, though it works).

The CUDA-Z link performance section looks comparable to what others have posted:

Memory Copy

Host Pinned to Device: 366.71 MiB/s

Host Pageable to Device: 358.249 MiB/s

Device to Host Pinned: 400.084 MiB/s

Device to Host Pageable: 385.617 MiB/s

Device to Device: 32.1836 GiB/s

GPU Core Performance

Single-precision Float: 824.256 Gflop/s

Double-precision Float: 59.2589 Gflop/s

32-bit Integer: 236.031 Giop/s

24-bit Integer: 235.746 Giop/s

GPU-Z indicates that I have a 1.2 setup functioning ( PCI-E 2.0 x 16 @ x1 2.0 ).

My question is regarding a specific game (Eve Online). The game is running great on highest settings except for the occasional hitching / stutter / graphics lag spikes. Reducing the settings to bare minimum (which runs well on the integrated video), the hitching doesn't go away during identical in-game activities. In your opinion, is this hitching related to bus throughput problems? It appears that I've got Optimus working just fine, but is there any way to determine if the link compression aspect of the technology is working? I've tried using the 16-bit color trick, which affected nothing (I'm not actually sure that the game accepted it). I also tried forcing frame rates using MSI afterburner, which also had no effect on the hitching. Is there a problem with my setup or any tricks I can employ to reduce hitching that I haven't seen here?

Also, I built my own enclosure for this and can provide people with some basic knowledge on how to make their own if anyone is handy with basic tools they're likely to already have in their household. It's my first case mod and some minor cosmetic mistakes were made but it came out quite nicely. If I can pull it off never having done it and with only an idea in my head of what I wanted, anyone handy with simple shop tools probably can too.

-snip-

My question is regarding a specific game (Eve Online). The game is running great on highest settings except for the occasional hitching / stutter / graphics lag spikes. Reducing the settings to bare minimum (which runs well on the integrated video), the hitching doesn't go away during identical in-game activities. In your opinion, is this hitching related to bus throughput problems? It appears that I've got Optimus working just fine, but is there any way to determine if the link compression aspect of the technology is working? I've tried using the 16-bit color trick, which affected nothing (I'm not actually sure that the game accepted it). I also tried forcing frame rates using MSI afterburner, which also had no effect on the hitching. Is there a problem with my setup or any tricks I can employ to reduce hitching that I haven't seen here?

Also, I built my own enclosure for this and can provide people with some basic knowledge on how to make their own if anyone is handy with basic tools they're likely to already have in their household. It's my first case mod and some minor cosmetic mistakes were made but it came out quite nicely. If I can pull it off never having done it and with only an idea in my head of what I wanted, anyone handy with simple shop tools probably can too.

The main issue with things like this is disk speed. For instance, my Skyrim has some smooth moments, but also some deathly slow times with lagspikes as pointy as the traps. Thus is use a RAM-disk to bypass this issue. It is able to load to textures quickly and thus rid of the issue.

So if you have spare RAM you could try setting up a RAM-disk with IMDisk and put the texture files there, setup a junction to point there. (This is a daunting task if you are new to doing this - try keeping this to a last resort if you are.)

--

You are getting the expected bandwidth to your eGPU so there is no issue there.

--

Turn V-sync off. I've had this fix many issues with suttering and whatnot.

The main issue with things like this is disk speed. For instance, my Skyrim has some smooth moments, but also some deathly slow times with lagspikes as pointy as the traps. Thus is use a RAM-disk to bypass this issue. It is able to load to textures quickly and thus rid of the issue.

So if you have spare RAM you could try setting up a RAM-disk with IMDisk and put the texture files there, setup a junction to point there. (This is a daunting task if you are new to doing this - try keeping this to a last resort if you are.)

--

You are getting the expected bandwidth to your eGPU so there is no issue there.

--

Turn V-sync off. I've had this fix many issues with suttering and whatnot.

Has anyone had any luck getting an TB eGPU setup working with an Acer Aspire S5? I believe it has thunderbolt on some models, and personally I like the sleek look compared to many other suggested notebooks, especially at the 13" size. From searching, the only place where I can find someone having tried it (unsuccessfully at that) was here.

Thanks for the reply! I'm using an mSATA SSD which gets pretty nice performance. The game doesn't hitch at all when played on the internal GPU (same monitor, driven through the x220t's DisplayPort), though obviously at much lower settings, so I can't see how it would be a disk related issue. It only stutters on the eGPU and only occasionally, but it's enough to be annoying. Incidentally, I actually have tried the game out before with a RAM disk and really didn't see any performance gain, so I don't think this particular game is performance bound by read/write disk IO.

I will try without V-sync on and see if that helps.

Edit: V-sync did not help, nor did any of the other settings in the control panel.

Whelp, that shot down a lot of things lol.

You are running external off of eGPU and internal screen on correct? Can you have GPU-Z running on your non-EVE screen (so your internal). Set it to view your eGPU and click on the Sensors tab.

Are you maxing out your memory usage? If so it just might be a combination of bandwidth bottleneck and memclock speed.

I was talking with @MikjoA about this. My guess is that graphical stuffs are being held in memory until all of the data has been sent to the card, but with the bandwidth bottleneck, the eGPU has to store a lot in memory (more so than a desktop card) before it can do anything (ie it takes longer to have all the data sent). But I have no idea how any of that is handled, I'm just guessing here.

How many screens do you have hooked up to your eGPU? I have 4 hooked up to mine and I have ~500MB of VRAM usage just from having my usual applications (non-games) open.

Thank you Nando, I stand corrected. One more thing though, a GTX 560ti would probably be fine, but BF3 requires a lot of CPU and since you are lucky enough to have a socketed CPU you could always upgrade it later if necessary.

You are running external off of eGPU and internal screen on correct? Can you have GPU-Z running on your non-EVE screen (so your internal).

Are you maxing out your memory usage? If so it just might be a combination of bandwidth bottleneck and memclock speed.

I was talking with @MikjoA about this. My guess is that graphical stuffs are being held in memory until all of the data has been sent to the card, but with the bandwidth bottleneck, the eGPU has to store a lot in memory (more so than a desktop card) before it can do anything (ie it takes longer to have all the data sent). But I have no idea how any of that is handled, I'm just guessing here.

How many screens do you have hooked up to your eGPU? I have 4 hooked up to mine and I have ~500MB of VRAM usage just from having my usual applications (non-games) open.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.