eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

hey guys im just about to buy a new PE4L, since my 2 year old Pe4H 1st gen is malfunctioning. Is there still the deal available somewhere where you get the eGPU setup with it? I still have it installed on my computer and could use it, but I don't have the install file around anymore. If I were to wipe my laptop or get a new one I'd like to have it available though for reinstall and don't want to fork out more dollars (it's 25 dollars now?) for the software.

Here is a theory - Why can't a full fledged desktop motherboards with thunderbolt ports be used for eGPU? The way I figure it, PE4L/PE4H/TH05 are miniature version of the motherboard itself (just having a PCIe + TB)?

Any thoughts on this?

Here is a theory - Why can't a full fledged desktop motherboards with thunderbolt ports be used for eGPU? The way I figure it, PE4L/PE4H/TH05 are miniature version of the motherboard itself (just having a PCIe + TB)?

Any thoughts on this?

Those desktop motherboards would need dedicated a pci-e slot for external TB applications that is simply a pci-e slot ,TB controller and TB port that's not connected at all to the systemboard's pci-e bus. In effect creating a systemboard TH05 device.

If a systemboard manufacturer did this then they could share internal pci-e cards using that slot amongst other Thunderbolt-equipped systems by running a Thunderbolt cable to them. Or could use that slot internally by running a loopback TB cable to a second internal TB port that is connected to the system's pci-e bus. If use in this way it would run at 10Gbps Thunderbolt 1 or 20Gbps Thunderbolt 2 link bandwidth rather than 128Gbps of a x16 3.0 slot.

Those desktop motherboards would need dedicated a pci-e slot for external TB applications that is simply a pci-e slot ,TB controller and TB port that's not connected at all to the systemboard's pci-e bus. In effect creating a systemboard TH05 device.

If a systemboard manufacturer did this then they could share internal pci-e cards using that slot amongst other Thunderbolt-equipped systems by running a Thunderbolt cable to them. Or could use that slot internally by running a loopback TB cable to a second internal TB port that is connected to the system's pci-e bus. If use in this way it would run at 10Gbps Thunderbolt 1 or 20Gbps Thunderbolt 2 link bandwidth rather than 128Gbps of a x16 3.0 slot.

So what you are saying in a nutshell is that the [Thunderbolt Port] is not connected internally/directly to the [PCIe slot]? If yes, then eGPU will not happen, correct?

There are many gigabyte/asus motherboards having dual thunderbolt ports (using Intel DSL3510L chip:2).

Wondering if eGPU is possible this way - then it can become a truly stepping stone for a full fledged PC in the future :)

So what you are saying in a nutshell is that the [Thunderbolt Port] is not connected internally/directly to the [PCIe slot]? If yes, then eGPU will not happen, correct?

There are many gigabyte/asus motherboards having dual thunderbolt ports (using Intel DSL3510L chip:2).

Wondering if eGPU is possible this way - then it can become a truly stepping stone for a full fledged PC in the future :)

My previous response may have been confusing:

1. A Thunderbolt-equipped desktop systemboard can have a eGPU attached for use by the systemboard. It will need to use a TH05 or Sonnet Thunderbolt-to-expresscard adapter to do that.

2. A Thunderbolt-equipped desktop systemboard cannot be used to host a eGPU for use on a notebook. That's because it's TB controller is on the systemboard pci-e BUS so so those lines aren't attached to the pci-e slot. A motherboard manufacturer would need to make a dedicated "to host pci-e slot externally" TB port + pci-e slot with altered architecture to allow that.

My previous response may have been confusing:

1. A Thunderbolt-equipped desktop systemboard can have a eGPU attached for use by the systemboard. It will need to use a TH05 or Sonnet Thunderbolt-to-expresscard adapter to do that.

2. A Thunderbolt-equipped desktop systemboard cannot be used to host a eGPU for use on a notebook. That's because it's TB controller is on the systemboard pci-e BUS so so those lines aren't attached to the pci-e slot. A motherboard manufacturer would need to make a dedicated "to host pci-e slot externally" TB port + pci-e slot with altered architecture to allow that.

Thanks, much clear! (was hoping an eGPU via this route :( )

PS. Anyone selling their TH05? :P

Thanks, much clear! (was hoping an eGPU via this route :( )

PS. Anyone selling their TH05? :P

Last TH05 units I saw on ebay sold for > US$400 (US) and 400-pounds (UK). TH05 gives a compact fuss-free solution but for that price I'd personally get a Sonnet Echo Express SE or better yet, a OWC Helios. Both available for just over US$300 and the same product internally just with different external colors. OWC Helios has the better 3yr warranty. See the following URLs for an example of how you'd wire it up:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4570-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-rmbp-gtx660-sonnet-echo-express-se-%40-10gbps.html#post63754

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4830-help-e-gpu-power-delay-rmbp-efi-windows-8-1-gtx-650ti-sonnet-echo-express.html#post67626

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm considering an eGPU to attach to a 2560x1440 monitor through my Macbook Air and I have a few questions. Firstly, I'm thinking of buying a second hand PE4H version 1.0 and would like to know what the differences are compared to the later versions? The HW-Tools website doesn't compare it with the other versions and I haven't been following eGPUs for a while.

Secondly, how would the 1440P resolution impact on performance? I haven't found any benchmarks at a greater than 1080P resolution on this thread so hopefully it scales proportionately to resolution analogous to a desktop and doesn't crash and burn.

Thanks in advance.

I'm considering an eGPU to attach to a 2560x1440 monitor through my Macbook Air and I have a few questions. Firstly, I'm thinking of buying a second hand PE4H version 1.0 and would like to know what the differences are compared to the later versions? The HW-Tools website doesn't compare it with the other versions and I haven't been following eGPUs for a while.

Secondly, how would the 1440P resolution impact on performance? I haven't found any benchmarks at a greater than 1080P resolution on this thread so hopefully it scales proportionately to resolution analogous to a desktop and doesn't crash and burn.

Thanks in advance.

Macbook Air has a Thunderbolt port. So eGPU options are Thunderbolt (10Gbps) or Thunderbolt-to-expresscard (5Gbps). A PE4L or PE4H can be used for the later but you want versions 2.1b or 3.2 of either respectively to get Gen2 (5Gbps) link speed. PE4H 2.4 or older can only negotiate a 2.5Gbps (Gen1) link successfully.

Macbooks have further complications with regards to EFI/GPT and BIOS/MBR (bootcamp) mode with the latter requiring PCI Reset Delay assertion circuitry which native Thunderbolt solutions don't tend to have. In any case, please review the following threads to get an idea of what you'd be looking at doing:

Native Thunderbolt (10Gbps)

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4570-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-rmbp-gtx660-sonnet-echo-express-se-%40-10gbps.html#post63754

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4830-help-e-gpu-power-delay-rmbp-efi-windows-8-1-gtx-650ti-sonnet-echo-express.html#post67626

Thunderbolt-to-expresscard (5Gbps)

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4271-2013-11-macbook-air-win7-sonnet-echo-expresscard-pe4l-internal-lcd-%5Bus%24250%5D.html

mPCIe solution instead? (5Gbps)

There is a third solution that could be possible that nobody has implemented on a MBA. That is to use a PE4L-PM060A 2.1b, bypassing the Thunderbolt port and attaching to the MBA's wifi slot. You'd get the same bandwidth as Thunderbolt-to-expresscard solutions doing that though would have cables going into the underside of the machine. Would be worthwhile doing if could get an inexpensive bottom cover to make access hole to the wifi slot.

The mPCIe option is only marginally cheaper than the 5Gbps option after considering the full cost of another bottom case. Since the PE4H v1 is not a viable option, I can't carry on with this plan due to cost. Thanks anyway.

The mPCIe option is only marginally cheaper than the 5Gbps option after considering the full cost of another bottom case. Since the PE4H v1 is not a viable option, I can't carry on with this plan due to cost. Thanks anyway.

Can understand the cost aspect here. MBA not a good candidate for a low-cost eGPU implementation. You'd be looking at say a 12" Lenovo X220/X230, Dell E6220/E6230 or HP 2560P/2570P for that all with a 5Gbps Gen2 expresscard slot. 2570P can service as a desktop replacement when i7-quad CPU and storage upgraded.

See also http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list-%5Bthin-light%5D.html for others good eGPU candidates.

Hello everyone. I'm grateful for all the info provided in this thread! Thanks!

This is "the" plan, for now:

PE4L-EC060A + Itek-ncube-mini-itx-200w-psu + GeForce GTX 660 2Gb DDR5

All suggestions are welcome!

Here we go, my conf:

Dell XPS Studio 1340:

MB: MCP79MX

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T9900 @ 6M Cache, 3.06 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB

RAM: 8,00 GB Corsair DDR3-1066

GPU Hybrid SLI: GeForce 9400 + GeForce 210m 512 MB

MCP79MX is like intel x1.0E full-duplex, it's right? Optimus? Can I use 2.0 x1 on MCP79MX? AIDA says:

Controller PCI Express

PCI-E 2.0 x16 port #0 In use @ x16

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #3 In use @ x4

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #4 In use @ x1 (Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n Wireless Network Adapter)

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #5 In use @ x1

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #6 In use @ x1

I really want to know if it make any sense the 660 with only PCI-E 1.1 x1.

Hi, i've been reading over this thread and NBR thread and have decided to try this out, however i am still a little confused on which setup i should get for my needs

i want to be able to play games such as bf3 on 1024 x 768 on medium detail at 50+ FPS,

I have a lenovo T430 and a PSU already and was wondering which setup i should go for for these requirements

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about purchasing an eGPU setup but I just have a couple of questions first.

Firstly, I want to run my GTX 460/560 (not sure which to get yet) off a 203Watt Xbox 360 Power brick, is this possible/a good idea?

Secondly, after reading through the experiences thread I still have no idea whether my TOLUD is ok. Here is a picture of the readout:

post-16814-14494996214978_thumb.jpg

My specs are as follows:

Chipset: Intel QM57 (SouthBridge)

Processor: Intel i5 580m 2.67GHz (1st gen)

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics

RAM: 8GB DDR3

HDD: Samsung 840 SSD

Intputs: ExpressCard 54 and DisplayPort

Here is another picture with some more info:

post-16814-14494996215292_thumb.jpg

It would seem as though my PCI is version 2 however the speed shows as 2.5GT's (which as I understand is PCI v1 speed)

I am planning on buying the PE4L (unless there is a reason I shouldn't).

Thanks!

Hi all, I have a question to ask, my notebook was Acer AS4736z Intel GMA 4500M.

If I purchase PE4L-PM060A v2.1b + Gigabyte Radeon HD 6670 is it good on gaming? or Nvidia for best?

can I use internal notebook for display?

Hi, i've been reading over this thread and NBR thread and have decided to try this out, however i am still a little confused on which setup i should get for my needs

i want to be able to play games such as bf3 on 1024 x 768 on medium detail at 50+ FPS,

I have a lenovo T430 and a PSU already and was wondering which setup i should go for for these requirements

That should be no problems at all!

I'm guessing you have a i5 of some kind?

With your requirements you should be fine using a PE4L2.1b-EC + GTX 660.

What's your budget?

i7-3520M + GTX580 stock

i7-3632QM + GTX580 stock vs i7-2630QM + GTX660 stock

I got 1k pts more than i7-2630QM but even this 1k wouldn't give so boost on GTX660 that it gave on GTX570/GTX580.

i7-3632QM + GTX580 OC

i7-3632QM + GTX580 OC 2

I' really surprised that Fortron 350W (12V*19,5A) is able to handle GTX580, even with small voltage OC.

That should be no problems at all!

I'm guessing you have a i5 of some kind?

With your requirements you should be fine using a PE4L2.1b-EC + GTX 660.

What's your budget?

I was looking to spend around 200 and yeah i have an i5 3320m

was looking at some local computer shops and a lot of them have older cards for sale at decent prices,

$75 for a 550TI and $100 for a 560 TI, 6850 for $75 as well

Hi all, I have a question to ask, my notebook was Acer AS4736z Intel GMA 4500M.

If I purchase PE4L-PM060A v2.1b + Gigabyte Radeon HD 6670 is it good on gaming? or Nvidia for best?

can I use internal notebook for display?

You will want to use a nvidia card so you can get Optimus compression. This helps immensely with the bandwidth constraint you have. Yes, you can use the internal display but you will have a performance drop.

I was looking to spend around 200 and yeah i have an i5 3320m

was looking at some local computer shops and a lot of them have older cards for sale at decent prices,

$75 for a 550TI and $100 for a 560 TI, 6850 for $75 as well

Hm ok, I think cards in the GTX x50/x50-Ti could yield problems with the PCI-compaction, or how does it work @Tech Inferno Fan?

Hm ok, I think cards in the GTX x50/x50-Ti could yield problems with the PCI-compaction, or how does it work @Tech Inferno Fan?

GTX560Ti cards are fine. It's only the oddball GTX650/Ti/Boost that have given us problems as some require an AMD-like 256MB contiguous PCI space making them hard to fit on some systems. Other cards like GTX560TI/GTX660/GTX670 require 128MB + 64MB + 32MB or less so can fit into fragmented PCI config space.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.