eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hi guys!

Anyone notice the new usb3 adapter on hwtools? It might be a new detachable option for us? Not saying that the upcoming usb standards might surpass the TB bandwith too. So this could be a more future proof setup. What do you think about it?

Hi guys!

Anyone notice the new usb3 adapter on hwtools? It might be a new detachable option for us? Not saying that the upcoming usb standards might surpass the TB bandwith too. So this could be a more future proof setup. What do you think about it?

Here it is!
Ooh now I see your point!

ooooo neato @Tenkes

Guessing you are talking about the USB3380-AB EVK-RC That certainly would be awesome, run it through my hub lol. Any word on this working with an eGPU @Tech Inferno Fan ? I'd probably try it if it wasn't $162.

Nando, get yourself sponsored the USB3380-AB EVK-RC and test it for us :D

If that works that would be awesome, all trouble would be gone.

I mean, they show the use of a graphics card in the video on their site but who knows if it's really working with a gaming card.

Nando, get yourself sponsored the USB3380-AB EVK-RC and test it for us :D

If that works that would be awesome, all trouble would be gone.

I mean, they show the use of a graphics card in the video on their site but who knows if it's really working with a gaming card.

This has been discussed several times now. As much as I'd love a USB 3.0 eGPU it's not going to happen unless someone comes up with an elaborate USB-to-PCIe driver. That video linked off BPlus page has a S3 video card with highly modified drivers, information that was supplied way back in 2011. See bottom of this post.

Hello guys, I am new to this eGPU system, so I would like to create one for my Lenovo Y580.

According to the research that I've done for my laptop, maybe its possible, but I would like to know if eGPU works with GTX 770? I am looking forward to buy that one.

Hello guys, I am new to this eGPU system, so I would like to create one for my Lenovo Y580.

According to the research that I've done for my laptop, maybe its possible, but I would like to know if eGPU works with GTX 770? I am looking forward to buy that one.

If you have an accessible mPCIe slot (eg: wifi), then you can implement a x1.2Opt GTX770 eGPU. You'll need a PE4L-PMxxxA 2.1b + PSU + GTX770 + Setup 1.x (to disable the GTX660M to allow eGPU to run as Optimus device).

Lots of Y580 systems have been sold so would be a good one to have a documented implementation for. A GTX770 eGPU will convincingly outbench the onboard GTX660M Optimus dGPU.

yes i do have mPCIe slots, 1 for wifi and the other is empty, is it okay if I'm getting a PE4H + PN3M? Because that is the one I can find locally now.

You want a PE4L-PMxxxA 2.1b or a PE4H-PMxxxA 3.2. They both use a cable soldered on both ends, a requirement to allow a pci-e 2.0 link. PE4H 2.4 only supports a pci-e 1.1x link, or half the bandwidth of pci-e 2.0.

Your second unused pci-e slot needs to have the pci-e pins (23,25,31,33) wired to be usable for eGPU purposes. Sometimes those slots have USB (WWAN) or mSATA only wired. You can test if pci-e is wire by swapping in the wifi card and see if it's detected in Device Manager. If not, then consider investing in external USB wifi if need concurrent wifi to be functional.

okay, I will get the PE4L -PM060A/PM100A but what are the difference between PM060A/PM100A? and which one should i get?

I dont mind using a external wifi adaptor and i already got one now.

do the PE4L 1x slot makes a lot of difference with PE4H 16x slots in terms of performance?

I'm sorry for this stupid questions, but right now I have a few questions about the state of my PCI-e slot.

It is confirmed that I have 2 slots, 1 for wifi and the other is for SSD, can the SSD slot work for eGPU? if it doesn't then I have to sacrifice my wifi PCI-e slot in order for the eGPU to work?

By the way, I really appreciate for your reply Tech Inferno Fan

Nando told you to test out the "mPCIE slot for ssd" with your wifi card. If it is working, then you can use both. If not, then you have to connect the adapter to replace the wifi and have to use an external usb-wifi while using egpu if you need,

Nando told you to test out the "mPCIE slot for ssd" with your wifi card. If it is working, then you can use both. If not, then you have to connect the adapter to replace the wifi and have to use an external usb-wifi while using egpu if you need,

Okay got it, I have tested and the unused mPCIE slot does not detect the wifi.

Is it true 1x slot reduce the performance rather than 16x slots?

hi everyone, i just found KZ-B26, it's a expresscard 34 to mini pci-e extender.

the specs says PCI Express base Specification 2.0 (Up to 5Gpbs),

but the warning says Maximum speed of PCIe2.0 (5Gbps) is not guaranteed.

anyone tried this product?

I'm such a moron, I lost my PE4L-PM060A 2.1b in the train, it hasn't been found...

So I need to buy a new one.

And now I don't know what to choose : PE4L-PM100A or sticking with the PE4L-PM060A... 100cm seems to be a bit more convenient but I'm afraid about performance loss, especially since 60cm would still be fine.

Do you think the PM100A would affect the performances ? because I remenber with the PE4H 2.4a I had like 2-3% more performances with the 30cm mini HDMI from hwtools than with a 1.5m mini hdmi.

I'm such a moron, I lost my PE4L-PM060A 2.1b in the train, it hasn't been found...

So I need to buy a new one.

And now I don't know what to choose : PE4L-PM100A or sticking with the PE4L-PM060A... 100cm seems to be a bit more convenient but I'm afraid about performance loss, especially since 60cm would still be fine.

Do you think the PM100A would affect the performances ? because I remenber with the PE4H 2.4a I had like 2-3% more performances with the 30cm mini HDMI from hwtools than with a 1.5m mini hdmi.

Now I'm picturing you using your eGPU while on the train (and scaring the fellow passengers).

Without any experience with it, I'd say stick with the 60cm one. 100cm is a lot of extra wire to have information pass through. Plus, if 60cm works, I'd don't see why you would go for extra cable length.

I'm guessing there isn't much hope for finding your adapter again..

• Thumbs Up 2

:D Nope, doing so would also scare me ^^

I have repaired my PE4L several times, I had re soldered like 10 different wires (it really was a pain lol) and while it kept working properly, but it became even more fragile.

So I put it in a seperate small bag that I forgot x_____________x (there were also food in it lol, I guess someone found it but didn't bring it back to the station.)

I'm guessing I'll probably go for an other PM060A then, because that's true I make do very well with the 60cm, while the 100cm could be easier sometimes it could also be more complicated when I'm travelling.

Thanks

another proof that GTX560Ti is not limited by i5 SB or IB (there is no additional scoer for GraphicsScore and CombinedScore as well). Any stronger GPU needs i7QM -> when GTX570 tested on i5 SB vs i7QM SB, there was 1000 point combined score more.

i5-2540M + GTX560Ti

i7-2630QM + GTX560Ti

i7-3632QM + GTX560Ti

Now play a multiplayer game such as Battlefield 3 that utilizes a ton of CPU performance for multi. my 3615qm paired with a 660 is lightyears ahead of my 2415m with a 660.

Now I'm picturing you using your eGPU while on the train (and scaring the fellow passengers).

Without any experience with it, I'd say stick with the 60cm one. 100cm is a lot of extra wire to have information pass through. Plus, if 60cm works, I'd don't see why you would go for extra cable length.

I'm guessing there isn't much hope for finding your adapter again..

I have a PE4L-EC200A (200cm), which works fine at PCIe 2.0. Any PCIe 1.x vs 2.0 issues seem to relate to connector impedance rather than cable length (at least up to 200cm).

200cm means I can use my laptop on the sofa :-)

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a PE4L-EC200A (200cm), which works fine at PCIe 2.0. Any PCIe 1.x vs 2.0 issues seem to relate to connector impedance rather than cable length (at least up to 200cm).

200cm means I can use my laptop on the sofa :-)

Could you do some bandwidth testing with SiSoft Sandra? (the lite version works)

SiSoftware Zone

(^ english dl page for the lite version)

post-6146-14494996204582_thumb.jpg

I have the 60cm version. I get 357MB/s bandwidth through to my eGPU.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys, I was wondering something about nVidia GPU + opt & internal LCD performance.

I'm not much interested in your GPU this time, except that it has to be an nvidia. But rather about the FPS cap I believe we all encounter when playing on internal LCD. I believe a better CPU could potentially gives slightly better performance, as it seems a better CPU in general seemed to compress the bandwidth, done by optimus, more efficiently.

So what is your maximum FPS cap on the internal monitor depending on the resolution you set ?

User & his/her eGPU setup Measured bandwidth
32bit
16bit
MikjoA
  • Sony vaio SVZ1311
  • i7 3612QM@ 4x2.1Ghz4x2.8Ghz HT ON 2*4Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
  • PE4L-PM060A 2.1b
  • GTX 670 x1.2opt
  • not tested
    1920x1080 1600x900 1366x768 1280x720 1920x1080 1600x900 1366x768 1280x720
    51 FPS (measured)
    73 FPS (measured)
    100 FPS (calculated)
    114 FPS (calculated)
    /
    /
    /
    /
    1680x1050
    1280x800
    1680x1050
    1280x800
    /
    /
    /
    /
    angerthosenear
  • Toshiba T901
  • i7 2620M 2x2.7Ghz HT ON
  • dGPU NVS 4200M
  • 2*8GB RAM DDR3 1333Mhz
  • 60 GB Intel 520 series SSD 1TB 7200 RPM Toshiba
  • PE4L-EC060A GTX 660 Ti x1.2.opt

• 364Mb/s
    1680x1050
    1280x800
    1680x1050
    1280x800
    /
    /
    /
    /
    naturbo2000
  • Lenovo T420
  • i5-2520M
  • 8GB DDR3
  • 512GB OCZ Vertex 4
  • PE4L-EC200A 2.1b
  • GTX 560 Ti (448) @ 849Mhz X1.2opt
  • 365Mb/s
    /
    /
    /
    /

I cannot do further testing at the moment because I do not have any PE4L anymore but I'll get a new one soon.

How to measure your fps CAP ?

Spoiler

• Force v-synch OFF in nvidia driver
  • Launch a game, preferably an old one and stay in the main menu
  • Write down the highest stable fps at the given resolution.

• How to measure your bandwidth ?

Spoiler

Could you do some bandwidth testing with SiSoft Sandra? (the lite version works) [url=http://www.sisoftware.net//?d=dload&f=sware_dl_3264&l=en&a=]SiSoftware Zone[/url] (^ english dl page for the lite version)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9154[/ATTACH]

I have the 60cm version. I get 357MB/s bandwidth through to my eGPU.

The only thing I can conclude so far, is that the length of the PE4L doesn't seem to affect the performance at all.
    • Thumbs Up 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.