eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

I have just completed my Egpu setup. I am using the PE4L-EC060A adapter. Everything is working except there are buzzing / electrical noises coming from my power supply. I have tested with 2 different power supplies and both have the same issue. When I test them in a desktop computer they do not make the noise. Trying to think of what I may have not hooked up right but not sure. I do not have the 2 pin dopunt cable connected, I am not sure what that cable is for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes... "low"... ^^ 111 points difference. But my scores in 3dmark06, in particular the GPU scores, are higher than yours.

I agree with bjorm. Unless you are running Win8, which is known to give lower Futuremark scores, then your 6723 3dmark11.gpu score is low for your GTX760. Consider my i5-3210M MPB + GTX660Ti @x1.2Opt scored 7500 and my i5-3360M HP 2570P scored 7750 there.

Anyone know how to enable x1E on an AMD RS880M chipset?

X1E is a workaround to used on Series-4 or older Intel chipsets to get AMD cards to run at full duplex speed. AMD chipsets have no such problem so we can say are running at x1E without needing to enable anything.

Ohh Okay okay thank you nando! I was wondering because I'm getting decent fps *35ish* with only a few minor options turned up. I get that already with the 4200HD mobility chip in the laptop. Also the second I turn up view distance my frames drop to ~20

important update on my performance: I did a render test through gpu-z. When my gpu is at max load it's only pushing out 200mb of memory? Anyone know anything about this?

Also the highest temp I've ever seen my gpu go to is around 38C.. pretty low right?

I went through the whole thread and got an rough idea on how to setup eGPU. I want to use this eGPU with my current thinkpad x220 with i5 sandy bridge. I have a few questions, it would be great if you could answer or point me towards the right source,

1) I am zeroing on GTX660, Will this be enough to run current games like AC3, upcoming GTA5 etc., ? Do you recommend any other card ? My budget is around $200 ( lesser the better :P). I would like to have the Nvidia Optimus option as it will help me run games on internal LCD, though I can live without it too.

2) I am confused about the expresscard to PCIe converter. I am not sure which one to pick, I have 2.0 expresscard slot and I think I will need PE4L 2.1b adapter with express card, I want to use this with the GTX 660 is this the best combination?

If you could answer these it would be great! Thanks!

I went through the whole thread and got an rough idea on how to setup eGPU. I want to use this eGPU with my current thinkpad x220 with i5 sandy bridge. I have a few questions, it would be great if you could answer or point me towards the right source,

1) I am zeroing on GTX660, Will this be enough to run current games like AC3, upcoming GTA5 etc., ? Do you recommend any other card ? My budget is around $200 ( lesser the better :P). I would like to have the Nvidia Optimus option as it will help me run games on internal LCD, though I can live without it too.

2) I am confused about the expresscard to PCIe converter. I am not sure which one to pick, I have 2.0 expresscard slot and I think I will need PE4L 2.1b adapter with express card, I want to use this with the GTX 660 is this the best combination?

If you could answer these it would be great! Thanks!

As shown earlier, In my opinio there is no point to buy something better than GTX660 without QM CPU (in X220 impossible to get QM).

So GTX660 will be good idea, it should be enough to run your desired games in FHD and medium/high details.

Yes, PE4L 2.1b ang GTX660 will be best mix for you.

As shown earlier, In my opinio there is no point to buy something better than GTX660 without QM CPU (in X220 impossible to get QM).

So GTX660 will be good idea, it should be enough to run your desired games in FHD and medium/high details.

Yes, PE4L 2.1b ang GTX660 will be best mix for you.

Thanks bjorm! I saw that you used the MSI GTX660, does it matter if I use EVGA or ASUS... Is there any performance difference?

Hi ,

I have lenovo G530 embedded G45 ( M45 ? ) graphic chip laptop . Can I use Firepro 4900 with e-gpu ? I am very new to this . 1 month ago I was planning renewing the laptop so I can save one or two thousand .

Thanks .

Thanks bjorm! I saw that you used the MSI GTX660, does it matter if I use EVGA or ASUS... Is there any performance difference?

Each different card shouldn't matter. I use the MSI Twin Frozr II 660 and it works great. Also, I would definitely look into getting this card. Overclocked, dead silent, and doesn't get too hot while gaming. Been very pleased with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi! I'm looking for a new (maybe used) laptop and now I'm interested in the good old lightweight Lenovo S430 again because I heard about the exciting eGPU possibilities. I'd want to use Thunderbolt for speed and plug-and-play, with internal LCD and on Windows 8.

I think MSI GeForce GTX 760 Twin Frozr would be good because it's quiet. Although I guess with Thunderbolt you could put the card far away from your ears if it was noisy.

In Finland I see two versions of S430 with the same price. One has i5-3210M with HD4000 + GT 620M and the other i7-3520M with only HD4000. I think the i7 version makes sense if you're gonna use external GPU. But does the Optimus thingy work if it only has HD4000 and no GeForce inside?

Thunderbolt looks to be the more complicated solution. I see many threads about Macbooks, would there be any differences with Lenovo S430 or can I use the info in Mac threads about what parts to get?

Each different card shouldn't matter. I use the MSI Twin Frozr II 660 and it works great. Also, I would definitely look into getting this card. Overclocked, dead silent, and doesn't get too hot while gaming. Been very pleased with it.

I agree with it completely. I used to have this card and it was very quiet and well built. Differences will be noticeable when You choose for example ASUS GTX660 instead ASUS GTX660 TOP OC.

Hi! I'm looking for a new (maybe used) laptop and now I'm interested in the good old lightweight Lenovo S430 again because I heard about the exciting eGPU possibilities. I'd want to use Thunderbolt for speed and plug-and-play, with internal LCD and on Windows 8.

I think MSI GeForce GTX 760 Twin Frozr would be good because it's quiet. Although I guess with Thunderbolt you could put the card far away from your ears if it was noisy.

In Finland I see two versions of S430 with the same price. One has i5-3210M with HD4000 + GT 620M and the other i7-3520M with only HD4000. I think the i7 version makes sense if you're gonna use external GPU. But does the Optimus thingy work if it only has HD4000 and no GeForce inside?

Thunderbolt looks to be the more complicated solution. I see many threads about Macbooks, would there be any differences with Lenovo S430 or can I use the info in Mac threads about what parts to get?

Now, You have only very expensive thunderbolt solution as a MagmaBox or sometimes possible to find on ebay, TH05. I'd recommend to choose something better built than S430 (2570p, X230, E6330, 8470p, E6430, T430) and choose, well-known eGPU PCI-E 2.0 compatible PE4L 2.1b adapter.

Optimus will work despite discrete GPU (GF), sometimes it needs Setup 1.X to run optimus.

In my opinion, there is no point to buy anything above GTX660 if you're not going to upgrade your CPU to QM from M.

• Thumbs Up 2

Now, You have only very expensive thunderbolt solution as a MagmaBox or sometimes possible to find on ebay, TH05. I'd recommend to choose something better built than S430 (2570p, X230, E6330, 8470p, E6430, T430) and choose, well-known eGPU PCI-E 2.0 compatible PE4L 2.1b adapter.

+1. After the US$180 TH05 was recalled, it is no longer cost effective to do a native Thunderbolt eGPU implementation. Consider such enclosures start at $320 and still need to be hacked to work. Some discussion even suggesting users can buy a whole desktop PC for not much more $$ than a Thunderbolt eGPU enclosure + video card.

A $70 PE4L-EC060A gives very good x1.2Opt performance and is a breeze to plug in and get working. There are plenty of great expresscard equipped notebooks having socketted CPUs allowing i7-quad upgrades for very good performance. Eg: 12.5" HP 2570P, 14/15" Dell E6430/6530/3560, HP 8470P/8570P, Lenovo T430/T530. The S430 has a soldered CPU so no i7-quad upgrades.

Worth noting that Splitframe did a Lenovo S430 eGPU implementation using the wifi mPCIe port! http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3579-lenovo-s430-pe4l-2-1b-xbox-360-psu-case%3B-egpu-blog.html#post50422

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with it completely. I used to have this card and it was very quiet and well built. Differences will be noticeable when You choose for example ASUS GTX660 instead ASUS GTX660 TOP OC.

Thanks for your suggestions, though I intended to get the MSI I came accross a very cheap deal on this EVGA gtx 660 Now the specs for its power requirement are

Minimum of a 450 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amps.)

Total Power Draw : 140 Watts

I was planning on getting a generic PSU on ebay

Will it work with the card? it has a 12v/22A rating.

Thanks for your suggestions, though I intended to get the MSI I came accross a very cheap deal on this EVGA gtx 660 Now the specs for its power requirement are

Minimum of a 450 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amps.)

Generic PSUs often only deliver around half their rated power with lots of ripple and caps that explode after a few months and lack of safety features to protect hardware in case of failure. Never go generic.

• Thumbs Up 1

A 550w power supply will be plenty. The 660 only needs one six pin, and a 550w power supply will easily be able to give a constant 140w of power.

- - - Updated - - -

A 550w power supply will be plenty. The 660 only needs one six pin, and a 550w power supply will easily be able to give a constant 140w of power.

Edit: Yeah I agree with Khenglish lol forget what i said. A bad power supply can ruin the system, so getting a better one that costs a biit more isn't a bad idea. I'm not too familiar with power supplies but I'm guessing a 80 plus bronze certified should be ok?

• Thumbs Up 1

Generic PSUs often only deliver around half their rated power with lots of ripple and caps that explode after a few months and lack of safety features to protect hardware in case of failure. Never go generic.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Yeah I agree with Khenglish lol forget what i said. A bad power supply can ruin the system, so getting a better one that costs a biit more isn't a bad idea. I'm not too familiar with power supplies but I'm guessing a 80 plus bronze certified should be ok?

Thanks. I will certainly get atleast a bronze certified PSU. I am guessing a 430W will be OK for the GTX 660... Will post the build and scores as soon as I get the parts :32_002:

Nothing in BIOS sadly. And right now I'm in a tight spot with money so I can't really get the Setup 1.X, lol.

I'm on a Lenovo z565. Using AMD 7770 as well :\

Your bargain-basement Lenovo Z565 system has a AMD M880G/RS880M chipset. This along with the following information has already been supplied to you via private correspondance. Meaning, please proceed to do some of your own testing/investigation.

- Setup 1.x is written for Intel chipsets so doesn't support Gen1/Gen2 or link width changing on your chipset. It does however provides a platform for doing manual PCI configuration changes via the setpci/lspci pciutils commands.

- you'd need to do datasheet reading and start probing configuration registers to try to get a Gen2 link going. Last time I did this I ended up with these findings.

- AMD chipset programming references are available for your perusal at AMD's website.

@Tech Inferno Fan : Is it possible to disable dGPU (the notebook has no iGPU) with Setup 1.x ?

I read in this article that is not possible for Win7

Video cards.Hybrid gfx

Hoping that I was wrong.

Win7 driver needs the primary video device active for any additional ones to work. So no you cannot switch off your dGPU and expect the eGPU to work. Only way of doing that under Win7 is to install XP drivers for both which can work independently of each other. Not something you'd want to do as you'd lose Aero and DX10/DX11 capabilities doing that.

I'd suggest offloading your HD7950 for a NVidia card as your issue is getting the legacy HD4670 + HD7950 working with a unified driver set. Having a NVidia eGPU having no such issue.

Never go generic.

I wouldn't buy one due also to quality and longevity concerns, but if can he can find one for free via dumpster diving at his local business district then it's worth a shot.

A GTX660 TDP has a low 140W TDP which can be supplied by such a basic ATX PSU. For example, I used a 12V/17A "550W" basic ATX PSU during my testing at 12.5" Dell E6230 + [email protected]/[email protected] (PE4L-EC060A 2.1b)

I''m having a problem right now where my Intel OpenGL drivers aren't properly loaded when I have drivers for my Nvidia card installed. I have an Sandy Bridge Core i5, so my Intel HD 3000 should have openGL support up to 3.1. However, while my Nvidia drivers are installed, my graphics drivers are listed as "GDI Generic" and the openGL version is 1.1. This is when I'm NOT using my eGPU, but simply have the drivers for my eGPU installed.

There are some light games that my onboard graphics are more than powerful enough to handle, but they run at an extremely sluggish pace due to this openGL issue. I have made sure to install the most up to date drivers, and I've had my Intel drivers installed first, then the Nvidia drivers. Any suggestions?

For reference, my rig:

Core i5 2410 (SB)

eGPU: PE4L 2.1 Nvidia GTX 460

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.