eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Modding a PE4L 2.1 to have a 0-15s-6.9s delay

I've recently seen some users mention that setting SW1=3 (6.9s) on a PE4L 2.1 hasn't been long enough for the system to either cold boot up at all (E530), or boot up with the iGPU active instead of the eGPU (Dell Vostro/Latitude). The workaround being to hotplug after bios boot.

The way to implement a longer delay is to mod the SW1=2 (500ms) setting be a 15s (or other) setting. This can be done by swapping out the C6 capacitor with another:

C6 - change from 680nF (500ms) to 22uF (15s)

You can see C6 almost right in the middle of the circuit below just to the left of the arrow:

PE4L-EC060A%20V2.1b.jpg

PERST# delay circuit SW1=2 calculation based on capacitor C6 used. RED shows the capacitors that BPlus uses. I've done some quick calcs of some other intermediate and longer delays obtained by swapping out C6 capacitor:

680nf: td=0.69*10^6*0.000000680 = 0.462sec

010uF: td=0.69*10^6*0.000010000 = 6.9/sec

015uF: td=0.69*10^6*0.000016000 = 11.04/s

022uF: td=0.69*10^6*0.000022000 = 15.18/s

030uF: td=0.69*10^6*0.000030000 = 20.7/s

036uF: td=0.69*10^6*0.000036000 = 24.8/s

043uF: td=0.69*10^6*0.000043000 = 29.7/s

Just a quick question. Its my first post so stay with me...

Is it worth getting Setup 1.x given that I have 8gb of RAM in my Elitebook 2540p (i5 | Win 7). Does Setup 1.x have a work around for higher than 2gb RAM? From what I've understood (or misunderstood!) its not possible with more than 2gb RAM. At this stage I'm using an old 9800GT Palit gfx card - I'll get a better one if i can manage to get the eGPU up and running - I have a PE4H v2.4a and a suitable power supply. In the past I've tried DSDT 36 bit compaction but tbh I have no idea what I'm doing. I've read numerous forums over the past few months and i know that other HP 2540p owners have made the magic happen, but its not happening for me. I guess i jumped in a bit too far at the deep end.

Any advice or direction to advice welcome!

I must advice to test with a newer Kepler/Fermi card (GT430 or newer) since these cards have different allocation requirements.

Can you borrow from a friend? Else I'm pretty sure you'll need Setup 1.x to allocate it.

Regarding the 2GB of ram: I think you refer to the 4GB+ issue that now can be solved by extending your PCI-space with a DSDT-Override.

In your case I'm no sure, how much memory do you use and size of Tolud?

I must advice to test with a newer Kepler/Fermi card (GT430 or newer) since these cards have different allocation requirements.

Can you borrow from a friend? Else I'm pretty sure you'll need Setup 1.x to allocate it.

Regarding the 2GB of ram: I think you refer to the 4GB+ issue that now can be solved by extending your PCI-space with a DSDT-Override.

Thanks Jacobsson. I think i could borrow a gfx card this weekend. I'll look into the Tolud size and respond over the weekend. The idea of getting my head around DSDT again is not ideal, but if it has to be done, then I'll give it another try.

Thanks Jacobsson. I think i could borrow a gfx card this weekend. I'll look into the Tolud size and respond over the weekend. The idea of getting my head around DSDT again is not ideal, but if it has to be done, then I'll give it another try.

I can't comment specifically on a 2540P. However, I found that a 2560P/2570P all needed PCI compaction or a DSDT override to run an AMD card. Now using a 9800GT would see it using the same 256MB pci-e required for those AMD cards and (likely) it too would need Setup 1.x's PCI compaction OR a DSDT override to work with 2540P using 4GB+.

Newer Keplar (GTX660+) or Fermi cards (GTX460+) require 128MB+32MB+16MB which can be accomodated without such workarounds. Odd one to avoid is the GTX650 series.They require 256MB+32MB so will present issues.

FYI: Latest DIY eGPU Setup 1.20 having the ability to hard allocate the eGPU within the 36/64-bit PCI space create using a DSDT override.

• Thumbs Up 2

That sounds like a power issue to me.

1. What power source do you use?

2. I have the same BSOD issues sometimes (almost exactly when windows boots up and reverts to my ext. screen), do you use mPCIe or EC?

It sounds like you might need Setup 1.x or do you already have it?

If not, PM @Tech Inferno Fan for instructions how to donate.

It might be other solutions but I can't help you further :(

Read source.

Thanks for replying!

I am using an 'unknown brand' ATX 480W (24-pin) power supply that I borrowed from a friend to test things out.

It delivers 360W on the 12V rails.

It's running through a PE4H 3.2 via ExpressCard.

Here is how I attempt to get things working:

1. All is powered off

2. Plug the PE4H into EC slot and switch on the power supply

3. Power up the Lenovo laptop

..Fans start moving on the MSI GTX660 and diodes light up on the PE4H. All good.

..Then reach windows 7 64 login screen and from there further, all loaded and active.

4. Some minutes still having HDD activity (loading background services, etc.)

5. Now comes the critical part:

..Either it gives me a BSOD, dumps and then reboots. This happens the first approx. 2-3 bootups (from cold).

..Else things stay stable and perfectly functioning.

Now this is all running in Gen1, Gen2 makes things not work at all... :/

Same works with a macbook and egpu using the sonnet echo expresscard adapter. Start with expresscard plugged in, pull it out right after the computer starts up, then plug it back in during the windows loading screen or after windows has loaded (both work)

I can't comment specifically on a 2540P. However, I found that a 2560P/2570P all needed PCI compaction or a DSDT override to run an AMD card. Now using a 9800GT would see it using the same 256MB pci-e required for those AMD cards and (likely) it too would need Setup 1.x's PCI compaction OR a DSDT override to work with 2540P using 4GB+.

Newer Keplar (GTX660+) or Fermi cards (GTX460+) require 128MB+32MB+16MB which can be accomodated without such workarounds. Odd one to avoid is the GTX650 series.They require 256MB+32MB so will present issues.

FYI: Latest DIY eGPU Setup 1.20 having the ability to hard allocate the eGPU within the 36/64-bit PCI space create using a DSDT override.

@HyperMyth I upgraded a CPU by myself. Is it worth? Not so sure but I have to admit that average temperatures on cores during play TombRaider were lower with QM than with 2520M, probably because good optimalization.

Temps during browsing, listening to music are around 50C on cores, even with high room temperature (22-26C). With lower room temperature they goes down something around 2-3C. mean temperatures ander 55C are very acceptable for me. I used MX-4 and Zalman STG-2 separately and there are very comparable temps on cores.

Thanks @bjorm. I'll change to Gen 2 as soon as I get the bios unlock from HP.

Most of the benchmarks indicate my setup is now CPU limited (i5-2520M). Did your 8460p come with the i7-2630QM or did you do a CPU upgrade? Would you recommend a CPU upgrade as worth the boost in performance?

• Thumbs Up 2

Jacobsson, in reply to your question above... I have 8gb of memory (2x4gb) and i think my TOLUD is 3.0gb in size (the value through device manager is C000000). Does this help?

Ok so your Tolud is good, you are sure of 3.0GB?

Then it seems like you'll need setup 1.x, have you contacted @Tech Inferno Fan now?

Ok guys, I've tried several times to get the .aml file but no success, tried with different versions of iASL, but there are just no .aml output. I'm feeling kind of lost in such technical things. Anyone could help?

Edit: HAHA! I'm laughing of myself, there was a switch to force .aml output even if errors occured. However when I try to "loadtable" the "large memory" isn't there. I guess I must look over errors or such :|

EDIT: Reboot --> BSOD even in Safe Mode. I really don't understand what can I do. I'll reinstall XP and look over it again.

EDIT: Ok got back xP with last good known configuration. No graphics. Reinstalled Intel drivers brought back resolution.

Ok guys, I've tried several times to get the .aml file but no success, tried with different versions of iASL, but there are just no .aml output. I'm feeling kind of lost in such technical things. Anyone could help?

Edit: HAHA! I'm laughing of myself, there was a switch to force .aml output even if errors occured. However when I try to "loadtable" the "large memory" isn't there. I guess I must look over errors or such :|

EDIT: Reboot --> BSOD even in Safe Mode. I really don't understand what can I do. I'll reinstall XP and look over it again.

EDIT: Ok got back xP with last good known configuration. No graphics. Reinstalled Intel drivers brought back resolution.

The program I have in my DSDT has a 'fix errors' option, you might give that a whirl.

When I first attempted my DSDT using entirely commandline/notpad I got a pile of errors and could not loadtable due to critical errors. But the program was able to extract the table and fix errors. So that might work for you.

linky: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3539-guide-dsdt-override-simultaneous-igpu-dgpu-egpu.html

You are attempting the DSDT in Windows XP? Hopefully it will work for you.

-atn

The program I have in my DSDT has a 'fix errors' option, you might give that a whirl.

When I first attempted my DSDT using entirely commandline/notpad I got a pile of errors and could not loadtable due to critical errors. But the program was able to extract the table and fix errors. So that might work for you.

linky: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3539-guide-dsdt-override-simultaneous-igpu-dgpu-egpu.html

You are attempting the DSDT in Windows XP? Hopefully it will work for you.

-atn

Thanks for your reply, I'll throw a look at it and post feedback.

Edit: I ran the DSDT EDITOR.bat, it pops up for a second then nothing, there sould be a file if I'm correct but I can't find one.

Edit: I ran the DSDT EDITOR.bat, it pops up for a second then nothing, there sould be a file if I'm correct but I can't find one.

Any specific reason you're using win XP?

I've tried that once on XP but my attention span didn't allow me to succeed a DSDT override (I felt something was fundamentally different for DSDT tables compared to 7, BSOD BSOD BSOD!).

I would really really recommend DSDT override using win7. Anyway, good luck and keep us updated!

Ok so your Tolud is good, you are sure of 3.0GB?

Then it seems like you'll need setup 1.x, have you contacted @Tech Inferno Fan now?

Jacobsson,

yeah, i've contacted him. Nando has let me know what i need to do about obtaining a copy of DIY Setup 1.x. Need to borrow a decent graphics card and as soon as i have all the relevant kit, I'll post on the forum and let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again.

8460p from signature + GTX760 Gigabyte WindForce OC.

Order: start - f8 - plug turned on eGPU - later states of installation:

Notice that before installation nVidia drivers, GPU-Z sees eGPU on PCI-E 3.0 ;)

results 3dm06 and 3dm11.

External, power: balanced, Gen2. Temperatures during test in room (not on the sun) where was ... 30-31C.

after comparison my results where I achieved around 7,5k points in Graphics score to score achieved with desktop CPU (9,5k points in GS), I assume that GTX760 and above are not worth of buying because of more than 20% loss in graphisc power.

On polish forum we figured out that I have an problem, there are few question:

is it possible that i7-3612QM has more than 1000 PhysicsScore points more than i7-2630QM?

how its possible to gain 8800 GraphicsScore points in 3dm11 on GTX670 (@MikjoA) when I gained only 7500 points on GTX760 and 2630QM?

That is the correct .bat file to run.

I've tried that once on XP but my attention span didn't allow me to succeed a DSDT override (I felt something was fundamentally different for DSDT tables compared to 7, BSOD BSOD BSOD!).

I would really really recommend DSDT override using win7. Anyway, good luck and keep us updated!

Two reports of DSDT being a pain / BSODs with Windows XP. Not looking too hopeful.

Might just be easier to get it only running in 7 and keep XP without eGPU. I'm not sure why, what are we missing @Tech Inferno Fan ? Did they change how DSDT works post-XP?

That is the correct .bat file to run.

Two reports of DSDT being a pain / BSODs with Windows XP. Not looking too hopeful.

Might just be easier to get it only running in 7 and keep XP without eGPU. I'm not sure why, what are we missing @Tech Inferno Fan ? Did they change how DSDT works post-XP?

Well, XP is probably having problems running the DSDT override since it's only a 32-bit OS. The DSDT override extends the PCI space into 36/64-bit space. Easiest solution is to revert to Win7. If not an option then consider that XP has a different video driver model. Unlike Win7/8, it can allow the eGPU to function even if the primary video is disabled. So the primary video can be disabled and the eGPU can hijaak it's 32-bit pci-e resources. That would be done using Setup 1.x.

Ok, I'll see if I can manage to get some copy of Win7 and try the override

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I'll see if I can manage to get some copy of Win7 and try the override

- - - Updated - - -

Well, XP is probably having problems running the DSDT override since it's only a 32-bit OS. The DSDT override extends the PCI space into 36/64-bit space. Easiest solution is to revert to Win7. If not an option then consider that XP has a different video driver model. Unlike Win7/8, it can allow the eGPU to function even if the primary video is disabled. So the primary video can be disabled and the eGPU can hijaak it's 32-bit pci-e resources. That would be done using Setup 1.x.

I didn't see your post before answering, I think I'll get setup 1.x in the case that I can't do anything (as last resort)

My Internet connection is too slow for me to read all the latest pages since my last visit, so excuse me if this has already been posted.

Seems like there's a new ThunderBolt solution coming to town, the Silverstone T004:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/06/06/silverstone-external-graphics-card-case-deb/1

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7040/computex-2013-thunderbolt-graphics-from-silverstone

http://accesstechnews.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/computex-2013-thunderbolt-graphics-from.html

Apparently there will be a 450W PSU built-in, which should power most (if not all?) cards available today. It also supports PCIe 3.0, so when support for PCIe 2.0 is inevitably dropped it's still upgradeable. According to Computershopper the price will be about $200 - $300, which seems very affordable for a Thunderbolt accessory of this caliber. No news of a shipping date though (I hope it passes the ThunderBolt certification process).

I know what I'm buying as soon as it ships, finally I can have a laptop that it is possible to game with when at home, yet light enough to use "outside" all day. Since it's a all-in-one with the PSU as well, it's simply plug-n-play (hopefully). :)

• Thumbs Up 4

after comparison my results where I achieved around 7,5k points in Graphics score to score achieved with desktop CPU (9,5k points in GS), I assume that GTX760 and above are not worth of buying because of more than 20% loss in graphisc power.

On polish forum we figured out that I have an problem, there are few question:

is it possible that i7-3612QM has more than 1000 PhysicsScore points more than i7-2630QM?

how its possible to gain 8800 GraphicsScore points in 3dm11 on GTX670 @MikjoA) when I gained only 7500 points on GTX760 and 2630QM?

Yes it's very likely, see this. You can see that it's a quite big difference.

Regarding @MikjoA 's graphics score: He has a pretty bad ass OC running!

I asked him in PM and it's pretty crazy. My score is more "normal" but a bit OC:ed though.

• Thumbs Up 1

My Internet connection is too slow for me to read all the latest pages since my last visit, so excuse me if this has already been posted.

Seems like there's a new ThunderBolt solution coming to town, the Silverstone T004:

SilverStone debuts Thunderbolt external graphics card case | bit-tech.net

AnandTech | Computex 2013: Thunderbolt Graphics from SilverStone

AccessTech News: Computex 2013: Thunderbolt Graphics from SilverStone

Apparently there will be a 450W PSU built-in, which should power most (if not all?) cards available today. It also supports PCIe 3.0, so when support for PCIe 2.0 is inevitably dropped it's still upgradeable. According to Computershopper the price will be about $200 - $300, which seems very affordable for a Thunderbolt accessory of this caliber. No news of a shipping date though (I hope it passes the ThunderBolt certification process).

I know what I'm buying as soon as it ships, finally I can have a laptop that it is possible to game with when at home, yet light enough to use "outside" all day. Since it's a all-in-one with the PSU as well, it's simply plug-n-play (hopefully). :)

Oh wow, that is great news for TB users. I'll probably get it if it does come out even though I don't have a TB computer yet lol. This + the Gigabyte P35K would be a very impressive lappy+eGPU combo.

Great find @ToJa92

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.