eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Model: HP Pavilion dv2700

CPU: Core 2 DUO T7700 @ 2.4GHz

Chipset: PM965/GM965

RAM: 2G DDR2 800MHz, could upgrade to 4G

Build-in Video card: GeForce 8400M GS 128MB

I want to know if it worth it to spend 200 bucks and can i get a decent improve base on this?

I only play Diablo 3 occasionally, and bunch of pre-2005 games, and the laptop is most of time for family use like browsing, editing Word and Excel

You could certainly get a PE4L 2.1b eGPU and test it to see if your chosen games work OK. Though you could do a side-upgrade to a 4500MHD iGPU equipped system (eg: 13" Dell E4300) so could take advantage of NVidia Optimus features (x1 pci-e compression and internal LCD mode). The 8400M GS dGPU in your system one affected by the NVidia defect so worthwhile offloading while it still works.

You could certainly get a PE4L 2.1b eGPU and test it to see if your chosen games work OK. Though you could do a side-upgrade to a 4500MHD iGPU equipped system (eg: 13" Dell E4300) so could take advantage of NVidia Optimus features (x1 pci-e compression and internal LCD mode). The 8400M GS dGPU in your system one affected by the NVidia defect so worthwhile offloading while it still works.

I had some problems booting into setup 1.x because of sucure boot, but I've fixed that now. My next problem is an error message I get when running 'setup-disk-image' and creating the devcon.txt file.

The error is:

[PCI BUS section NOT found. If you are using a non-English language, than please edit the v:\config\devcon.txt file and remove the "PCI BUS" section. Otherwise that *whole* section will be excluded from allocation when performing compaction and compaction will fail.]

As far as I can tell, there's no "PCI BUS" section in my txt file. Is it "PCI Express Root Complex" ?

That's right. So proceed to delete the following lines as those ranges are now being excluded from compaction, which effectively makes 32-bit compaction impossible:

Name: PCI Express Root Complex

Device is currently using the following resources:

MEM : 000a0000-000bffff

MEM : bfa00000-feafffff

IO : 0000-0cf7

IO : 0d00-ffff

That's right. So proceed to delete the following lines as those ranges are now being excluded from compaction, which effectively makes 32-bit compaction impossible:
Name: PCI Express Root Complex

Device is currently using the following resources:

MEM : 000a0000-000bffff

MEM : bfa00000-feafffff

IO : 0000-0cf7

IO : 0d00-ffff

@coyote : Yeah, the 203w old one for xenon =)

It requires some pretty easy cable soldering of course, but it's a very nice and "modular" (not sure if it is the right word) solution.

- - - Updated - - -

@amehrings : (hate this auto multi quote feature, it almost always fu**s up hehe )

Yeah most probably you'll need setup 1.x, is this your current system or are you planning to buy one?

Expresscard is the way to go if you want less hustle, but I don't mind =)

Too bad I just can't solder. Could you please advise something else? Thanks for your support :)

@amehrings : (hate this auto multi quote feature, it almost always fu**s up hehe )

Yeah most probably you'll need setup 1.x, is this your current system or are you planning to buy one?

Expresscard is the way to go if you want less hustle, but I don't mind =)

Yeah this is my current system, sadly I dont have an expresscard which is really a bummer. I have a i7 2670qm and planning to get the gtx 660 for the gpu. Would I still see pretty good performance however? I guess anything is better than the igpu by itself haha :)

Yeah this is my current system, sadly I dont have an expresscard which is really a bummer. I have a i7 2670qm and planning to get the gtx 660 for the gpu. Would I still see pretty good performance however? I guess anything is better than the igpu by itself haha :)

Yeah the cpu is nice!

Sorry I couldn't find if you have switchable graphics or not? (hd3000/4000 active)?

I got my GTX 650ti Boost up an running a few weeks ago and it is certainly an improvement. That being said, am unable to play the laptop screen off of it. I have 2 24" monitors hooked up to the GC and the internal is being driven by the intel GPU. Also, when I try installing the newest NVidia drivers, it fails every time. Any ideas why?

Yeah the cpu is nice!

Sorry I couldn't find if you have switchable graphics or not? (hd3000/4000 active)?

Yeah it has intel hd 3000 on it. Im not so worried about the external setup, but having my computer recognize it and using setup 1.x kinda looks like a nightmare to me haha. I kinda have the main idea on how to use it I think. Is there like specific steps, or does it all vary from computer to computer?

Ok so I've installed windows XP along windwos 8 (the later have multiple old gaming incompabilities or so) and tried to do the DSDT override in XP, I've followed the video tutorial in youtube but there isn't any .aml output. Here's what I get when I run the [iasl -g]:

C:\Documents and Settings\serche\My Documents\Downloads\dsdt>%iasl%\iasl -g

Intel ACPI Component Architecture

ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20130626-32 [Jun 26 2013]

Copyright © 2000 - 2013 Intel Corporation

Table [RSDT] obtained from registry, 100 bytes

Table [RSDT] written to "RSDT_PC.dat"

There are 16 tables defined in the RSDT

Table [FACP] obtained from registry, 116 bytes

Table [FACP] written to "FACP_PC.dat"

Table [DSDT] obtained from registry, 41251 bytes

Table [DSDT] written to "DSDT_FJNBB2A.dat"

Disassembly of DSDT

Pass 1 parse of [DSDT]

Pass 2 parse of [DSDT]

Parsing Deferred Opcodes (Methods/Buffers/Packages/Regions)

Parsing completed

Found 6 external control methods, reparsing with new information

Pass 1 parse of [DSDT]

Pass 2 parse of [DSDT]

Parsing Deferred Opcodes (Methods/Buffers/Packages/Regions)

Parsing completed

Disassembly completed

ASL Output: dsdt_FJNBB2A.dsl - 370878 bytes

iASL Warning: There were 6 external control methods found during

disassembly, but additional ACPI tables to resolve these externals

were not specified. The resulting disassembler output file may not

compile because the disassembler did not know how many arguments

to assign to these methods. To specify the tables needed to resolve

external control method references, use the one of the following

example iASL invocations:

iasl -e <ssdt1.aml,ssdt2.aml...> -d <dsdt.aml>

iasl -e <dsdt.aml,ssdt2.aml...> -d <ssdt1.aml>

C:\Documents and Settings\serche\My Documents\Downloads\dsdt>

I guess I'm missing some command or something, but I don't know what.

Yeah it has intel hd 3000 on it. Im not so worried about the external setup, but having my computer recognize it and using setup 1.x kinda looks like a nightmare to me haha. I kinda have the main idea on how to use it I think. Is there like specific steps, or does it all vary from computer to computer?

That's great, then you can expect a huge graphics boost since iGPU allows for 1.2opt!

Setup 1.x is really great, it's really worth every dollar!

Without it we wouldn't have this fairly big community since the variety of eGPU friendly systems would be much smaller.

Yes, there is specific steps from the official guide that applies for every computer, of course some computer needs some extra steps (for example anti-whitelisting).

I've used on my E530 which wouldn't have accept the eGPU at all.

Basically, when you made all steps working you'll have a profile saved that you then easily can load during boot.

@coyote

No problem dude, my soldering skills arent that great either,

you can use regular ATX power supplies, it's super easy and no soldering!

• Thumbs Up 1

That's great, then you can expect a huge graphics boost since iGPU allows for 1.2opt!

Setup 1.x is really great, it's really worth every dollar!

Without it we wouldn't have this fairly big community since the variety of eGPU friendly systems would be much smaller.

Yes, there is specific steps from the official guide that applies for every computer, of course some computer needs some extra steps (for example anti-whitelisting).

I've used on my E530 which wouldn't have accept the eGPU at all.

Basically, when you made all steps working you'll have a profile saved that you then easily can load during boot.

Okay sweet thanks so much thats great news! and thats really ironic, because I just stumbled across that just a little bit ago before I saw you mention it haha! Oh and I forgot to ask, where do I go to get setup 1.x? I have to contact @Tech Inferno Fan through his email right? I thought I read somewhere that there is a discount also if you are a techinferno forum user or something?

Okay sweet thanks so much thats great news! and thats really ironic, because I just stumbled across that just a little bit ago before I saw you mention it haha! Oh and I forgot to ask, where do I go to get setup 1.x? I have to contact @Tech Inferno Fan through his email right? I thought I read somewhere that there is a discount also if you are a techinferno forum user or something?

Yeah PM nando for more information, he will help you!

Good luck now =)

I need help with this question, would appreciate some help here. :)

I got an ATX PSU from a friend's old PC. Its rated 300W on the box, 2 rails, no PCIe connector, has enough molexes to adapt it to 6 pin PCIe via 2 molex.

Its 12V rails are 12V1@10A, 12V2@13A respectively. Its made by Solytech. Are the specs of this PSU overrated? Does adapting the molexes give me enough amp to run a 134W TDP GTX 650 Ti Boost safely or do I need a better power supply?

I need help with this question, would appreciate some help here. :)

I got an ATX PSU from a friend's old PC. Its rated 300W on the box, 2 rails, no PCIe connector, has enough molexes to adapt it to 6 pin PCIe via 2 molex.

Its 12V rails are 12V1@10A, 12V2@13A respectively. Its made by Solytech. Are the specs of this PSU overrated? Does adapting the molexes give me enough amp to run a 134W TDP GTX 650 Ti Boost safely or do I need a better power supply?

• Thumbs Up 1

Have you read my guide about the W530? I dont think its a TOLUD problem (have you checked it?).

I dont think you need the DSDT override.

You dont need any modded drivers. Just download the GTX660 drivers from NVidia

I guess you were right about the TOLUD subject - even though I injected the TOLUD 64bit extension set, I recently have been getting

_a lot_ of BSOD's when booting the system.

I have to reboot about 3 times until the thing stays stable and usable.

This is all running with Gen1,

Switching to Gen2 is not an option for me at this point.

If I do, the Nvidia drivers will refuse to accept the card (cannot open the Nvidia control panel) and also MSI Afterburner will mark the GPU as blank.

Should I think about resorting to Setup 1.1x .. or?

Hi guys, I've just got my PE4L v2.1b. I'm using clevo 350ET/ Sager 6350 windows 8 64, 8gb ram and borrowed GTX760 + 300watt psu from my friend.

First, I tried to uninstall my nvidia driver and then I disabled the internal gtx660m, and then go into sleep mode. Next, I turn on the psu and plug in the cable into my wifi slot and back into windows.

The windows detected the GTX760 but with error 43, the evga also detected by GPU-Z.

I'm reading the troubleshooting faq, and got confused, anyone can help me?

It should do the job since you have 156W (12v x 13A) on your v2-rail alone. As you said: combine two molexes from v2 to 6-pin and you should be fine!

Thanks for the assurance!

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I guess you were right about the TOLUD subject - even though I injected the TOLUD 64bit extension set, I recently have been getting

_a lot_ of BSOD's when booting the system.

I have to reboot about 3 times until the thing stays stable and usable.

This is all running with Gen1,

Switching to Gen2 is not an option for me at this point.

If I do, the Nvidia drivers will refuse to accept the card (cannot open the Nvidia control panel) and also MSI Afterburner will mark the GPU as blank.

Should I think about resorting to Setup 1.1x .. or?

That sounds like a power issue to me.

1. What power source do you use?

2. I have the same BSOD issues sometimes (almost exactly when windows boots up and reverts to my ext. screen), do you use mPCIe or EC?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi guys, I've just got my PE4L v2.1b. I'm using clevo 350ET/ Sager 6350 windows 8 64, 8gb ram and borrowed GTX760 + 300watt psu from my friend.

First, I tried to uninstall my nvidia driver and then I disabled the internal gtx660m, and then go into sleep mode. Next, I turn on the psu and plug in the cable into my wifi slot and back into windows.

The windows detected the GTX760 but with error 43, the evga also detected by GPU-Z.

I'm reading the troubleshooting faq, and got confused, anyone can help me?

It sounds like you might need Setup 1.x or do you already have it?

If not, PM @Tech Inferno Fan for instructions how to donate.

It might be other solutions but I can't help you further :(

Read source.

Wanted to buy a Mini ITX Computer Case with a 250w power supply (its probably a cheap generic one), to hook up my ati 5770 1gb + PE4H, as far as I know it uses one of those 6 pin connectors and comes with a splitter to make it into two normal psu connectors and uses around 80w, will a cheap 250w psu support something like that and whats the worst that could happen if not?

Wanted to buy a Mini ITX Computer Case with a 250w power supply (its probably a cheap generic one), to hook up my ati 5770 1gb + PE4H, as far as I know it uses one of those 6 pin connectors and comes with a splitter to make it into two normal psu connectors and uses around 80w, will a cheap 250w psu support something like that and whats the worst that could happen if not?

Yes it ought to work. Check that the 12V rail outputs at least 8A, and you should be fine.

The worst that would happen I think is that your GPU wouldn't power up. If that's the case, you just need a better PSU

Just a quick question. Its my first post so stay with me...

Is it worth getting Setup 1.x given that I have 8gb of RAM in my Elitebook 2540p (i5 | Win 7). Does Setup 1.x have a work around for higher than 2gb RAM? From what I've understood (or misunderstood!) its not possible with more than 2gb RAM. At this stage I'm using an old 9800GT Palit gfx card - I'll get a better one if i can manage to get the eGPU up and running - I have a PE4H v2.4a and a suitable power supply. In the past I've tried DSDT 36 bit compaction but tbh I have no idea what I'm doing. I've read numerous forums over the past few months and i know that other HP 2540p owners have made the magic happen, but its not happening for me. I guess i jumped in a bit too far at the deep end.

Any advice or direction to advice welcome!

That sounds like a power issue to me.

1. What power source do you use?

2. I have the same BSOD issues sometimes (almost exactly when windows boots up and reverts to my ext. screen), do you use mPCIe or EC?

- - - Updated - - -

It sounds like you might need Setup 1.x or do you already have it?

If not, PM @Tech Inferno Fan for instructions how to donate.

It might be other solutions but I can't help you further :(

Read source.

I also tried downgrade to windows 7 but the error code still the same: error 43, I also tried to start the egpu first and then my notebook but the error code still the same.

Then I read the faq to solve error 43, using 2gb ram, run setup 1.x but the error code still the same.

Hi, hound1013

I have read your post and the method is not work on my system !

my system:

-Thinkpad X201 Tablet(i7 620, 8GB RAM, Integrated Intel HD)

-COLORFUL iGame650Ti 2GB

Using your method: power it up with the card plugged in, and pull it out right before the display comes up, Hotplug it at Windows environment. After completion, I installed NVIDIA display driver (ver 320.49) . I can not use eGPU, and the Device Manager shows the graphics card is GTX660, not GTX650. But using an external monitor, the system is working properly, Device Manager shows the graphics card is GTX650TI.

Any help/instructions would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.