eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hey Nando! Long time no see :D I hope everything's well :)

I didn't follow the evolution of the thread on NBR after I "quitted" the discussion but I'm happy to see you moved all the know-how here!

If you want a hand to sort and fix the content layout in the first page, simply ask for it, I should have somewhere the template :D (as I kept the icons hosted on my DB)

I currently halted my eGPU project due to work issues, but I'm surely interested in the future evolutions :)

Hi Nando.

So I tried your instructions: Boot setup 1.x with WLAN-card, "hot-swapped" with my PE4L2.1b-PM060A, and nothing gets detected.

Maybe there is some basics that I don't know regarding the eGPU setup?

EDIT: Good to know is that I'm using an old but functional 7900GT before buying something fancier.

1. Which leds should light up on the pe4l?

2. What settings should I use for SW1/SW2?

3. Should "OS detection for switchable graphics" be enabled in BIOS (which I currently have enabled)

Side note: When I laborated and booted up setup 1.x with iGPU+dGPU I disabled the dGPU from there and manage to free up 512MB (which otherwise states 64MB when booting iGPU only). I don't know if this means anything but it didn't freeze when restoring port 2 when doing it this way.

I went for a hunt looking for some anti WL bios with no luck, if you know where to look just let me know =)

When hotplugging the PM3N end ensure there is no delay settings on any of the switches on either the PE4L or PM3N end. That means setting CLKRUN (SW1) = 1 (off) on the PM3N and PERST# (SW1)=1 (off) on the PE4L. Set PCIe Card (SW2)=2-3 (x16) on the PE4L but that is a setting you can alternate during your testing. Firstly confirm unplugging then replugging the wifi card sees it being detected in Setup 1.x when you hit F5. Then power the eGPU, hotplug the PM3N and hit F5 and fingers crossed the eGPU will appear.

Hey Nando! Long time no see :D I hope everything's well :)

I didn't follow the evolution of the thread on NBR after I "quitted" the discussion but I'm happy to see you moved all the know-how here!

If you want a hand to sort and fix the content layout in the first page, simply ask for it, I should have somewhere the template :D (as I kept the icons hosted on my DB)

I currently halted my eGPU project due to work issues, but I'm surely interested in the future evolutions :)

Hey Simon, glad you've made it over :D. Still plugging away after a number of roadblocks. Indeed, could use your help. Once you have 5 posts up can have PM comms. Thanx.

Firstly confirm unplugging then replugging the wifi card sees it being detected in Setup 1.x when you hit F5. Then power the eGPU, hotplug the PM3N and hit F5 and fingers crossed the eGPU will appear..

Omg there was a little piece of protection film left on my PM3N, I feel like an stupid idiot right now!

Anyway, by "hot-swapping" like you said setup 1.x now recognizes my 7900GTX, NICE!

Also learned that the whitelist is for real when I got a hold of a wlan-card from another computer. System halted and promted something like 'un-authorized wifi-card'.

So what do we do from here? I've tried different allocation methods with no luck.

(My goal with this current setup is to have the pe4l recognized and installed by windows, I will then purchase an 670GTX to combine with my XBOX psu)

Hey - been a while.

Just wondering if the drivers have been updated so that the MacBook AIr's internal HD Graphics 4000 will work in Windows 8 (64 bit) in EFI mode. Has this happened yet??? I've had my iGPU disabled for many months now as that was the solution at the time I built my eGPU setup.

Thanks!!!

Hello

I got some problems with my setup. I didn't managed to run it, not a single time.

Acer V3-571 i5 3210M, 8GB RAM, Chipset HM55, Intel HD4000, no dGPU inside.

PE4H+PM3N, GeForce 460GTX and a 500W PSU from Scythe

I have tried a lot of drivers, all of then "Verde" and with nvam moddified, but with "same" results

258.96 - freeze at "welcome" screen

270.61 - Some flicks and BSOD (nvlddmkm.sys) just after "welcome" screen, like the driver stops responding.

275.33 - Same as above

295.73 - Error 43

320.18 - Error 43

Desktop drivers version

300.00 - Error 43

320.18 - Error 43

Then I have tried to use the Setup 1.x but without success. Tried a lot of setups but sometimes I think it's not even making difference. The only thing that made something was setting the pci from 1.1x to 1x, but that made my notebook shut down.

My card and chipset are detected by setup.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oh... I made it, it was something I was missing. Setup the pci to work as G1 than another option and there... it worked. It seems a little unstable tho, at least for benchmarks, the driver crashes but recover.

For games only tried Diablo 3 and run awesome. Now its time for tweaking.

Cheers.

Hi all, my configuration is :

- ASUS K53SV

- i5-2410M 2.3GHz

- 6 GB of RAM

- Intel HD Graphics 3000 + Nvidia GeForce GT540M

- Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

i would like to use an external gpu like a 670gtx, which adapter can i use on the mpcie ( wifi mpcie), i have seen some posts in the forum but i still don't know if is better PE4H-PM3N 2.4 or PE4L-PM060A, is possible to use the monitor of the laptop?

thank you :)

Hi all, my configuration is :

- ASUS K53SV

- i5-2410M 2.3GHz

- 6 GB of RAM

- Intel HD Graphics 3000 + Nvidia GeForce GT540M

- Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

i would like to use an external gpu like a 670gtx, which adapter can i use on the mpcie ( wifi mpcie), i have seen some posts in the forum but i still don't know if is better PE4H-PM3N 2.4 or PE4L-PM060A, is possible to use the monitor of the laptop?

thank you :)

You will want to use the PE4L-PM060A. This will let you use a Gen2 link and allow for PCIe x1 2.0.

It is possible to use the built in monitor of the laptop. That is a preference thing though since you will lose performance if gaming on the internal display. I personally game on an external display, but the integrated one is still on.

Hello,

I am very interested to add an eGPU to my old Studio XPS 1645, I already have an ATX PSU with 27A for 12V output and an external monitor, and I am considering a PE4H PCIE 1.0x4 configuration with GTX 660Ti.

So I have some questions here :

Is my PSU output sufficient for 150W TDP GTX 660Ti or even 200W TDP Radeon 7950 Cards ?

Will I encounter issues with memory resource allocation ? I have 8GB RAM installed on it.

Can PM3N adapter be easily cut to fit in half size Mini PCIE slot ?

Can I replace cables of BPlus by longer Mini HDMI to Mini HDMI cables bought otherwhere ? (1m or 1.5m)

Any recommandation on eGPU choice or any cautions to take ?

And other questions about reusability of PE4H on other notebooks :

Can Precision M4700 profit from PE4H to form a PCIE 2.0 *4 configuration ? It has 1 EC slot and 3 Mini PCIE slots.

In general, can Series 6-7 chipsets based notebooks form a multi-lane eGPU connection ? (like PCIE 2.0 *2, *4)

I saw in first post that for Series 6-7 chipsets that is not possible but later I saw some posts saying that it is possible but with some constraints, so I am confused here.

Question about MXM slots :

Is there a solution to externalize MXM port to create a PCIE 2.0 *16 connection for eGPU ?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

I am very interested to add an eGPU to my old Studio XPS 1645, I already have an ATX PSU with 27A for 12V output and an external monitor, and I am considering a PE4H PCIE 1.0x4 configuration with GTX 660Ti.

So I have some questions here :

Is my PSU output sufficient for 150W TDP GTX 660Ti or even 200W TDP Radeon 7950 Cards ?

27A * 12V = 324W

So, yes.

Do you have 4 available mPCI-E slots for 4 PM3Ns?

Because every PM3N can only deliver one lane.

If you have 2 or less, one PE4L 2.1b might be the better choice,

because with a x1 link and a NVidia Fermi or higher card ( GTX 460 and up )

the NVidia driver kicks in a little sweet extra called pci-e compression.

That boosts the DX9 capabilitys to "nearly" x2 speed.

And DX10 and up something like 50% boost, approx...

it varies, really.

Plus, even if you had 4 capable slots ( mPCI-E and EC mixed or something )

you'd only have x4.1 ( PCI-E 1.0 x4 ) because the PE4H 2.4 with 4 connector only supports Gen1.

Then again you'd have a connection like x2.2 ( x4.1 = 1000MB/s = x2.2 )

and x1.2opt nearly reaches that with it's pci-e compression, so it would

be kind of a waste of money for a small margin of performance....

Imho.

edit:

I just looked up your XPS and noticed that it has a PM55 chipset.

In the sticky post stands that they do not support Gen2 from the

start so you could be forced to go for x4 :/

Will I encounter issues with memory resource allocation ? I have 8GB RAM installed on it.

Could be, but is not a high obstacle.

There are Workarounds.

Can PM3N adapter be easily cut to fit in half size Mini PCIE slot ?

As you can see in this image the PM3N with the HDMI connector

has a predetermined breaking point, so yes, but the mHDMI plug

could be too thick/long so open your notebook and take a look.

post-12069-14494995406001_thumb.jpg

Can I replace cables of BPlus by longer Mini HDMI to Mini HDMI cables bought otherwhere ? (1m or 1.5m)

BPlus offers packets with up to 2m, so I don't think

other cables would make trouble if they are properly

shielded... I guess.

Any recommandation on eGPU choice or any cautions to take ?

Look around and compare a bit.

Especially in the Sticky Thread http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html

There you can filter out the best combination for your needs.

Consider that better cards use higher bandwith and that is the resource we are short at,

so a GTX 650TI or GTX 4601G might already do the trick, instead of a expensive 660ti

that might have more raw power for its money, but can't push it through the link bus.

And other questions about reusability of PE4H on other notebooks :

Can Precision M4700 profit from PE4H to form a PCIE 2.0 *4 configuration ? It has 1 EC slot and 3 Mini PCIE slots.

In general, can Series 6-7 chipsets based notebooks form a multi-lane eGPU connection ? (like PCIE 2.0 *2, *4)

I saw in first post that for Series 6-7 chipsets that is not possible but later I saw some posts saying that it is possible but with some constraints, so I am confused here.

As of I know, the PE4H 2.4 ( with 4 ports for x4 speed ) does not support PCI-E 2.0

and the newer one PE4H 3.2 only has one port and soldered ( ? ) cables, I think.

Other than that, it could be possible. It's a bit try and error, it depends

if you can map the ports right if I understood it correctly.

You'd have to ask @Tech Inferno Fan for that, though,

as my knowledge is limited there.

Question about MXM slots :

Is there a solution to externalize MXM port to create a PCIE 2.0 *16 connection for eGPU ?

Thanks in advance

Some people are on that already, but as of now

I do not know how far they got.

Google it a bit, my last intel on that is that

they talked to some company about that.

So it turns out that the SANDRA GPU/CPU bandwidth test is very accurate when testing PCI-E bandwidth:

post-5693-14494995406502_thumb.png

Look at "interface transfer bandwidth" graphs.

Red was 102MHz BCLK

Blue was 101MHz

Green was 99.4MHz

Looks like a good way to compare bandwidth to me. FYI I was only running PCI-E 2.0 since I have a sandy bridge in this.

• Thumbs Up 1

So it turns out that the SANDRA GPU/CPU bandwidth test is very accurate when testing PCI-E bandwidth:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7668[/ATTACH]

Look at "interface transfer bandwidth" graphs.

Red was 102MHz BCLK

Blue was 101MHz

Green was 99.4MHz

Looks like a good way to compare bandwidth to me. FYI I was only running PCI-E 2.0 since I have a sandy bridge in this.

Can you get that information from the free version? Their site confused me in that regard. Nice find!

So after some months I have finally been able to put together my eGpu setup and get it to function properly after a malfunctioning PE4L.

Specs are as follows:

HP Probook 6460b

Core i3-2310M 2.1 GHz

16GB Ram

240GB SSD

Intel HD3000

PNY 670GTX

PE4L 2.1b

500W Thermaltake --> Will be trading for 750W Corsair

Dell U2711

2560x1440

I must say that this setup is a dream once I finally got it working. I found out pretty early on that my spare thermaltake just doesn't have the grunt for high-powered applications and benchmarks (get nvlddmkm.sys error BSOD), so I ordered a Corsair 750W with 67A on a single rail to recitfy this issue.

Once I get this new PSU I will see what kind of frames this baby can push.

I know my CPU is probably a limiting factor, but to date it hasn't given me issues, so I don't see the need to upgrade as of yet.

Would love to volunteer some time for benchmarks for you Nando once I get this 100% sorted out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is my result on my eGPU (660 Ti 2GB)

The Interface Transfer Bandwidth is much lower than yours (not a surprise).

post-6146-14494995409923_thumb.jpg

I dunno why one is really low, the first time I ran it, they were all even.

-------

Here is a result on my friend's 660 Ti (3GB model) in a desktop for comparison:

post-6146-14494995410621_thumb.jpg

Thanks a lot for your very detailed reply !

A very sad story I found is that PE4H 2.4 can not support reliably PCIE 2.0, which has something to do with HDMI physical connection.

So on newer platforms like Series 6-7 based laptops, PCIE slots must be restricted to PCIE 1.0 in order to use PE4H 2.4. So there is not really much reusability of PE4H 2.4 on newer laptops like M4700.

I suppose that changing better HDMI cable could not solve the issue/negotiate a stable PCIE 2.0 connection neither.

And for old platform like my Studio XPS 1645, which supports PCIE 1.0 x4 (3 Mini PCIE + 1 ExpressCard, numbered 1+2+3+4), the best and yet expensive solution (around 180-200 USD) for eGPU remains PE4H 2.4, who can deliver 8Gbps = 1GBps bandwidth.

According to a study of scaling done on Radeon HD 5850 on x1 1.0, x1 2.0, x2 2.0, a x2 2.0 (x4 1.0) eGPU could deliver 90% of desktop GPU performance in 3DMark Vantage GPU score, which is great.

Since the laptop itself only supports PCIE 1.0, PE4H 3.2 or PE4L who can only form x1 1.0 on it aren't comparable to PE4H 2.4 who can form x4 1.0.

Questions here :

My Studio XPS 1645 is equipped with Radeon HD 4670 GPU, is it an issue to put a nVIDIA card like GTX 660 Ti along with it ? Any possible driver conflicts ?

The rest of main parts of system are : i7 920XM OCed to 2.4GHz~3.33GHz 4 cores, 4GHz single core, 8GB RAM, Crucial M4 256G SSD, will them be a strong bottle neck in gaming and 3D benchmarking ? A GTX 660 Ti is an overkill for it or not ?

Especially due to weak heat dissipation, most of the time CPU operates at only 2.4GHz (passmark around 5200-5300) and it gets passmark around 6000 only under very strong ventilation.

Should I trade it for newer laptops ?

Comparing the price of PE4H 2.4 + PM3N *3, which will cost me 196$ excluding shipping and custom tax, to 230 EUR for a GTX 660 Ti card, PE4L seems to be much more acceptable (70$), and delivers x1 2.0 optimus connection on newer laptops.

And just to mention : I don't move my laptop often so anything lighter than 3kg and with fullHD screen is welcomed.

You talked a lot about nVIDIA's PCIE bandwidth compression technology (Optimus ?), I didn't get the prerequisites very clear.

Does the laptop must have an Intel integrated GPU to make it work ?

If I only have a discrete GPU, Optimus mode can not be activated so I can't benefit from PCIE compression ?

I don't plan to use the internal screen of laptop for eGPU since it seems to consume more PCIE bandwidth.

------------------------------------------

I digged around a little too, and it seems that PE4H 3.2 and PE4L both only supports 1 PCIE 2.0 connection (soldered connection or PCIE 1x slot), and in 1 post of Tech Inferno Fan about TH05 thunderbolt adapter, he mentionned that x4 2.0 config will be limited to 10Gbps = 1.25GBps, only 25% more bandwidth than x2 2.0 or x4 1.0, instead of 16Gbps.

So I wonder before the launch of Thunderbolt 20Gbps version in 2014, the highest bandwidth of an eGPU solution on the market is how much Gbps and what is this "most powerful" solution ?

...Then power the eGPU, hotplug the PM3N and hit F5 and fingers crossed the eGPU will appear.

Here is an update: I change my old 7900GTX to a GTX 660. First I was really confused since setup 1.x ran the old card at full fan speed all the time while the fans of the GTX 660 is in a more of a "idling" state (which seems more normal to me).

I manage to install standard VGA adapter and after that the GTX 660, to finally encounter code 12 (which I expected because of my TOLUD ~3.5GB).

Since I don't see (or have?) the large memory bus and non of the PCI compactions were successful (since NVflash doesn't find the card?), my conclusion is that I have to implement the DSDT-override?

You talked a lot about nVIDIA's PCIE bandwidth compression technology (Optimus ?), I didn't get the prerequisites very clear.

Does the laptop must have an Intel integrated GPU to make it work ?

If I only have a discrete GPU, Optimus mode can not be activated so I can't benefit from PCIE compression ?

I don't plan to use the internal screen of laptop for eGPU since it seems to consume more PCIE bandwidth.

Yes, for optimus to work you need a 4500MHD/HD/HD3000/HD4000 and a x1 link, it does not trigger at x2 or higher.

I digged around a little too, and it seems that PE4H 3.2 and PE4L both only supports 1 PCIE 2.0 connection (soldered connection or PCIE 1x slot), and in 1 post of Tech Inferno Fan about TH05 thunderbolt adapter, he mentionned that x4 2.0 config will be limited to 10Gbps = 1.25GBps, only 25% more bandwidth than x2 2.0 or x4 1.0, instead of 16Gbps.

So I wonder before the launch of Thunderbolt 20Gbps version in 2014, the highest bandwidth of an eGPU solution on the market is how much Gbps and what is this "most powerful" solution ?

You are right.

The fastest solutions at the moment are

1. TH with a TH05.

2. PCI-E 1.0 x4

3. PCI-E 2.0 x1opt

in that order.

But the TH05 is not available anymore, I would love to have one myself :(

As for a new Notebook, I don't know how the prices are where you live,

but here are some:

15,6" F-HD, HD4000, i7-3 quad, expresscard ( for pe4l ) ~1000 Euro:

Wortmann Terra Mobile 1541 Pro, Core i7-3632QM, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Windows 7 Professional (1220259) Preisvergleich | Geizhals Deutschland

14" HD+ , HD4000, i7-3 dual, Thunderbolt ~ 800 Euro

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge S430, Core i7-3520M, 8GB RAM, 500GB, UMTS, Windows 8 Pro (N3B57GE) Preisvergleich | Geizhals Deutschland

17,3" HD+, HD4000, i7-3 quad ~600 Euro:

HP Pavilion g7-2304sg (D2X54EA) Preisvergleich | Geizhals Deutschland

As for a new Notebook, I don't know how the prices are where you live,

but here are some:

15,6" F-HD, HD4000, i7-3 quad, expresscard ( for pe4l ) ~1000 Euro:

Wortmann Terra Mobile 1541 Pro, Core i7-3632QM, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Windows 7 Professional (1220259) Preisvergleich | Geizhals Deutschland

14" HD+ , HD4000, i7-3 dual, Thunderbolt ~ 800 Euro

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge S430, Core i7-3520M, 8GB RAM, 500GB, UMTS, Windows 8 Pro (N3B57GE) Preisvergleich | Geizhals Deutschland

17,3" HD+, HD4000, i7-3 quad ~600 Euro:

HP Pavilion g7-2304sg (D2X54EA) Preisvergleich | Geizhals Deutschland

Let me add two candidates from Sweden as well:

Dell Vostro 3650, Expresscard: ~840 Euro

Dell Vostro 3560 - 15.6" (1080p) - Core i7 3632QM - Windows 8 Pro 64-bit - 8 GB RAM - 128 GB SSD

Style-note W25CEW, Expresscard: ~1000 Euro

Style-Note W25CEW - 15.6" (1600x900) - i7-3740QM, 8GB HyperX 1600MHz, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD

Hi guys. So here is another update regarding Lenovo E530 + GTX 660:

I managed to do the DSDT override since my TOLUD was 3.49GB and no "large memory" were available.

So the huge pain in the ass is to have my eGPU overcome "code 12". I've tried almost every different PCI compaction method but still no luck.

Let's say that my PCI compaction were successful, can I verify that by looking in setup 1.x using NVflash or something else?

My eGPU never shows up in NVflash and that seems shady.

I would really appreciate some help here!

Hello,

I'm trying to ride my EGPU, but I can not, I tried the solution in several forums and google without success.

Well, follow the settings below, my notebook, and other DIY.

Notebook:

Processor:i5-430M, 2533 MHz (19 x 133)

Motherboard: Compal NBLBX

Chipset Intel Ibex Peak-M HM55,

RAM 8 GB

iGPU Intel HD Graphics

dGPU ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 1GB

eGPU Geforce GTX 560 ti 2GB

Extension: PE4H-PM3N ver2.4 + DIYeGPU-Setup-110b5.

Windows recognizes the card but can not be used there.

post-12694-14494995461228_thumb.jpg

I managed to disable the card ati 4650 but still does not work.

I have already installed several times the diver's Geforce.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

And the only error:

Can anyone give me some idea?

Thx.

<style type="text/css">.nobrtable br { display: none }</style><style type="text/css">.tablesmallfonts td {font-size: xx-small;}</style>

post-12694-14494995461467_thumb.jpg

post-12694-14494995461618_thumb.jpg

post-12694-14494995461822_thumb.jpg

Hi guys. So here is another update regarding Lenovo E530 + GTX 660:

I managed to do the DSDT override since my TOLUD was 3.49GB and no "large memory" were available.

So the huge pain in the ass is to have my eGPU overcome "code 12". I've tried almost every different PCI compaction method but still no luck.

Let's say that my PCI compaction were successful, can I verify that by looking in setup 1.x using NVflash or something else?

My eGPU never shows up in NVflash and that seems shady.

I would really appreciate some help here!

PM sent.

Hello,

I'm trying to ride my EGPU, but I can not, I tried the solution in several forums and google without success.

Well, follow the settings below, my notebook, and other DIY.

Notebook:

Processor:i5-430M, 2533 MHz (19 x 133)

Motherboard: Compal NBLBX

Chipset Intel Ibex Peak-M HM55,

RAM 8 GB

iGPU Intel HD Graphics

dGPU ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 1GB

eGPU Geforce GTX 560 ti 2GB

Extension: PE4H-PM3N ver2.4 + DIYeGPU-Setup-110b5.

Windows recognizes the card but can not be used there.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7720[/ATTACH]

I managed to disable the card ati 4650 but still does not work.

I have already installed several times the diver's Geforce.

And the only error:

Can anyone give me some idea?

Thx.

<style type="text/css">.nobrtable br { display: none }</style><style type="text/css">.tablesmallfonts td {font-size: xx-small;}</style>

Can't see the error against the GTX560Ti. Since you have a Intel HD + HD4650 graphics it's recommended to remove those drivers first. Then install a stock Intel HD one, followed by a reinstall of the latest NVidia desktop driver selecting 'clean install' option.

If using Setup 1.1x to do PCI compaction then set "Ignore [dGPU]" prior to 32bit/32-bitA compaction, followed by Video cards->dGPU[off]. In that way the eGPU can be allocated into 32-bit PCI space.

Most powerful eGPU solutions in order are:

1) 2011-2013 Thunderbolt. 10Gbps (~x2 2.0 + 12.5% bandwidth)

2) Some selected Series-5 or older systems with 4 consecutive pci-e ports (eg: Dell 16" Dell XPS 1640 or 14" Dell E6400) (x4 1.0)

3) Series 6 or newer pci-e 2.0 capable systems with an iGPU (x1 2.0 + pci-e compression acceleration of DX9).

4) Series 6 or newer pci-e 2.0 system without an iGPU (x1 2.0, recommended AMD solution for best performance)

It is technically feasible that a Series-6 or newer system could do x4 2.0, which would be the fastest. However, there are quite a few obstacles to overcome to get to that point. (i) need 4 consecutive electrical pci-e ports. Only seen Dell offer this (ii) would need BPlus to create a PE4H 2.4 like device that has soldered wires on it to get pci-e 2.0 speed. PE4H 2.4 is otherwise only pci-e 1.x (iii) need to alter the system's flash descriptor to switch the port 1 into x4 mode which unfortunately I haven't as yet seen anybody accomplish on a Dell system.

If you are up for a challenge then let us know how you go getting x4 2.0 working on a Series6+ system.

Hello there,

I was following the old egpu thread back when I had my t420 + egpu (gtx 560ti). I want to thank you guys for maintaining this forum!

I am trying to set up my t430 (HD4000 + NVS5400M, 16Gb, win 7 64 bits) with my PE4H ver 2.4 + the good old GTX 560ti 1Gb.

I have followed the troubleshooting FAQ then I decided to go with the DIY egpu setup software (installed on usb key).

Right now I have not been able to make it work :

With egpu plugged off With egpu hotplugged Then I have this error code 12

post-13532-14494995465227_thumb.jpg

So I decided to go with the DIY egpu setup. BUT from the menu of egpu setup I cannot see the PCI menu... and my dgpu is listed as demoted.

Bios options for display are default (optimus selected)

Can you guys help me out with this one ?

Thanks

post-13532-14494995464742_thumb.jpg

post-13532-14494995464976_thumb.jpg

Thank you for gathering this information for us all. I have a four year old laptop I am thinking of trying this out with. The graphics card on it already is not so bad but pretty much out of date. The computer is a Gateway P-7805u FX (Processor was upgraded to a 2.7ghz. 8gb of RAM, 60gb SSD and 300 HD installed).

Hi guys,

I am thinking about buying a new and cheap laptop with 3rd gen processor chipset that has a PCI port or expresscard slot. Can anyone tell me which laptop do you recommend me getting?

Hi guys,

I am thinking about buying a new and cheap laptop with 3rd gen processor chipset that has a PCI port or expresscard slot. Can anyone tell me which laptop do you recommend me getting?

Cheapest 3rd-gen system with a expresscard slot would be a Dell Vostro 3560, HP Probook 6470b/6570b or Fujitsu AH532. Unfortunately that's all that remains from the business budget lines still with them. One-gen older 2nd-gen Dell Vostro 3450/3550, HP Probook 4430s/4530s, or Lenovo Edge E420/E520 have expresscard slots and worth scouting for a bargain.

Otherwise from the 3rd gen i-cores consider:

12.5" HP 2570P: 45W i7-quad upgradable and RAID-0 capable. Can be had for a good price on ebay. Lots of bang-per-buck.

12.5" Lenovo X230, Dell E6230. Just be aware: have soldered dual-core CPUs. X230 fails 16GB eGPU implementation.

13" Sony SVZ for ultrabook-like chassis dimensions but with a i7-quad. mPCIe eGPU.

13" Toshiba R930, Dell E6330

14" Lenovo T430/S430, HP 8470P, Dell E6430 or Toshiba R940 : Check the outlets for refurb deals

15" Lenovo T530, HP 8570P, Dell E6530 or Toshiba R950 : Check the outlets for refurb deals

15" Fujitsu AH532 -> one of the last remaining consumer systems with an expresscard slot.

We also have one Lenovo Edge E530 owner preparing a writeup of a successful mPCIe NVidia eGPU implementation. The brief I received suggesting it's more complex than an expresscard based eGPU implementation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.