eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

When do these blue screens happen? Can you reliably reproduce them? For example, do you get a blue screen every time you open up a video file in VLC or another video player? what about any games, can you play some games and not others?

The blue screen suddenly appears at unexpected moments, even when I leave the laptop idle and also while browsing on the internet. EDIT: Problem fixed. It turned out that the graphics card became faulty. I purchased a new graphics card today, which is GTX 660, and there hasn't been any blue screen at all.

have

TOSHIBA Satellite C850-B720

Intel Panther Point HM76, Intel Ivy Bridge

CPU #1 Intel® Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2395 MHz

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #2 In Use @ x1 (Realtek RTL8723AE 802.11n PCI-E Wireless Network Adapter)

AMD Radeon HD 7610M

no Intel HD Graphics

and what is the best AMD or
nvidia ?
expected performance for the both
internal LCD &
external LCD ?

I add systems to the leaderboard when there is a writeup associated with it. You have included details of your Fujitsu T901 in your writeup at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3539-guide-dsdt-override-simultaneous-igpu-dgpu-egpu.html but most recent updates indicate you will be doing further benchmarks, eg: 3dmark06 with dGPU turned off. Please update that then I can add your system to the leaderboard.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi there,

I got my eGPU to run ( LINK ), but I get the same result with the internal Display and an external one.

I tried various things like disabling the internal display ( d'uh ) or disabling the HD4000 in the Device Manager.

Does anyone got an idea why that is?

Hi there,

I got my eGPU to run ( LINK ), but I get the same result with the internal Display and an external one.

I tried various things like disabling the internal display ( d'uh ) or disabling the HD4000 in the Device Manager.

Does anyone got an idea why that is?

It sounds like you plugged the external display into the laptop instead of the card.

It sounds like you plugged the external display into the laptop instead of the card.

Hi,

thanks for the answer, but no the display was plugged via DVI into the eGPU directly :(

edit:

you can see in my blog post that i have less Host to Device than Device to Host speed in CUDA-Z.

the numbers stay that way, regardlessly of the combination of internal/external display and

actived/deactivated components I try.

And, of course, the benchmark results stay the same, too.

Not entirely true - his results look a lot higher than he'd get out of the iGPU.

My expectation is that with a GTX560 he's simply not saturating a 1.2Opt link on the internal display. i.e. the bottleneck is the card rather then the PE4L.

Edit: IMHO Getting sensible numbers for external use and being able to replicate those numbers when using the internal display is not a cause for complaint.

i.e. you're getting 90% of desktop performance with an eGPU driving an external monitor. Great! And you're sad that the performance is not dropping off when you use the internal display? That makes no sense. So are you expecting to get 100% of desktop performance when using the card externally (i.e. a 10% gain)?

Not entirely true - his results look a lot higher than he'd get out of the iGPU.

My expectation is that with a GTX560 he's simply not saturating a 1.2Opt link on the internal display. i.e. the bottleneck is the card rather then the PE4L.

Edit: IMHO Getting sensible numbers for external use and being able to replicate those numbers when using the internal display is not a cause for complaint.

i.e. you're getting 90% of desktop performance with an eGPU driving an external monitor. Great! And you're sad that the performance is not dropping off when you use the internal display? That makes no sense. So are you expecting to get 100% of desktop performance when using the card externally (i.e. a 10% gain)?

Nono, I don't complain I really like the way it works now. I just wondered since many people have worse results with the internal display.

I thought that I have done somehting wrong and, well yes, could get a little more on the external Monitor.

Like optimus issn't working correcty or anything like that.

Nono, I don't complain I really like the way it works now. I just wondered since many people have worse results with the internal display.

I thought that I have done somehting wrong and, well yes, could get a little more on the external Monitor.

Like optimus issn't working correcty or anything like that.

Cool - though given you're getting good results on your external monitor and the same results on your internal monitor (you mean internal result is the same as external, right?), then Optimus could only be working really really well rather than badly.

If I get a chance to check my machine later I'll report back (T420 i5 and GTX560ti448). I'm guessing your machine has a 1366x768 internal display rather than 1600x900.

Cool - though given you're getting good results on your external monitor and the same results on your internal monitor (you mean internal result is the same as external, right?), then Optimus could only be working really really well rather than badly.

If I get a chance to check my machine later I'll report back (T420 i5 and GTX560ti448). I'm guessing your machine has a 1366x768 internal display rather than 1600x900.

Hi,

my internal display has a 1600x900 resolution, but all the benchmark tests only run at 1280x720, Maybe it's because of this.

I'll test some games with the native resolution of the internal display and put it in my blog!

Thanks for the answers!

As promised - My 560ti448 egpu has watercooling and a mild overclock to 848MHz (max temp 46C running 3dmark11)

3DMark11 (which reckons on 5760 as the best/typical(?) graphics score for a 560ti448)

External: P4973 (Graphics score 5513)

Internal: P4875 (Graphics score 5383)

This is in line with bjorm's much more complete tests in the previous message :-)

NB - my external result is from a previous driver version. However I don't have a monitor handy to retest.

Splitframe said:
Hi,

does the whitelist removal works with newer Lenovos?

And can I use it to use another Wifi-card instead of a PM3N?

Thanks.

It depends on how the bios handles detection of a non-whitelisted wifi card. HP systems like a 25x0P will halt bios boot with an "error 104-unsupported card detected". The non-whitelist wifi card needs to be physically removed from the slot to be able to bootup the system. These same systems would however not halt if an eGPU was attached to the mPCIe slot.

Some other systems' bios will boot but will simply ignore the wifi card and disengage the mPCIe slot. In this case Setup 1.x can be used to re-engage the mPCIe slot for use with non-whitelisted card. Usually pin20 (radio enable) on the wifi card needs to be isolated with cellophane tape for it to work.

If you are endeavouring to bypass the bios whitelist checks for wifi cards then I would suggest scouting for a modified bios on this site.

Guys,

For the past few months I've powered my 660 ti with an old PSU that I bought back in 06 for my EGPU (and was working fine)

Yesterday, a power outtage blew out my power supply. Since I have the CX 430 as a backup, I thought I'd fine.

However, the CX430 only has 1 PCI-E power connector, the 660 TI requires two.

I remember Nando telling me CX430 would be fine for the card, so any tips on how to get this to work?

Thanks all.

Tech Inferno Fan said:
It depends on how the bios handles detection of a non-whitelisted wifi card. HP systems like a 25x0P will halt bios boot with an "error 104-unsupported card detected". The non-whitelist wifi card needs to be physically removed from the slot to be able to bootup the system. These same systems would however not halt if an eGPU was attached to the mPCIe slot.

Some other systems' bios will boot but will simply ignore the wifi card and disengage the mPCIe slot. In this case Setup 1.x can be used to re-engage the mPCIe slot for use with non-whitelisted card. Usually pin20 (radio enable) on the wifi card needs to be isolated with cellophane tape for it to work.

If you are endeavouring to bypass the bios whitelist checks for wifi cards then I would suggest scouting for a modified bios on this site.

Okay, in my case I get the 1802 error and it wouldn't boot.

I'll ask the guys to bypass the bios whitelist checks for wifi cards. Thanks!

Guys,

For the past few months I've powered my 660 ti with an old PSU that I bought back in 06 for my EGPU (and was working fine)

Yesterday, a power outtage blew out my power supply. Since I have the CX 430 as a backup, I thought I'd fine.

I remember Nando telling me CX430 would be fine for the card, so any tips on how to get this to work?

Thanks all.

They make adapters that combine two 4-pin connectors to one PCI-E connector. You can use this to power your 660 Ti. You can find them pretty easy on eBay, amazon, newegg.

Just search for : 4 pin to PCI-E adapter

Guys,

Thanks all.

Hi,

you can buy a adapter from 4pin Molex to a PCI-E connector like angerthosenear said,

or tinker your own from the old PSU, I'll post a easy cost effective guide on my eGPU blog on Tuesday.

You'd just need a few bucks for a shrink-on tube and a scissor.

Hi all.

I've run into a few problems, and I hope you can help me out.

I've bought this laptop:

Fujitsu Lifebook AH532 Intel i7-3632QM 6GB 500GB 15.6 W8 - Hjemme-elektronik - CDON.COM

some extra info on the laptop:

http://globalsp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publications/public/ds-LIFEBOOK-AH532.pdf

I've bough the PE4L-EC060A V2.1b

I use a 750W power supply (The one i used in my old computer)

and the gfx I use is a gtx 670..

I was able to install the nvidia driver after disabling the 620M card, but It seems slower than expected.

Under GPU-Z it says the connection is "PCI-E 1.1 x16 @x1 1.1".

Im not sure where to go from here. I should be able to run 1.2Opt or something right ?

I run Win 8 atm, but I can install Win 7 if it will make a difference. I haven't run into any errors or anything, so I'm not sure what to search for to fix it myself.

I hope you can help me out. Its quite hard to fix when I'm not sure what I'm looking for, and a lot of the info is outdated. Ty for your time

cheers

- Laukess

Hi all.

I've run into a few problems, and I hope you can help me out.

I've bought this laptop:

Fujitsu Lifebook AH532 Intel i7-3632QM 6GB 500GB 15.6 W8 - Hjemme-elektronik - CDON.COM

some extra info on the laptop:

http://globalsp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publications/public/ds-LIFEBOOK-AH532.pdf

I've bough the PE4L-EC060A V2.1b

I use a 750W power supply (The one i used in my old computer)

and the gfx I use is a gtx 670..

I was able to install the nvidia driver after disabling the 620M card, but It seems slower than expected.

Under GPU-Z it says the connection is "PCI-E 1.1 x16 @x1 1.1".

Im not sure where to go from here. I should be able to run 1.2Opt or something right ?

I run Win 8 atm, but I can install Win 7 if it will make a difference. I haven't run into any errors or anything, so I'm not sure what to search for to fix it myself.

I hope you can help me out. Its quite hard to fix when I'm not sure what I'm looking for, and a lot of the info is outdated. Ty for your time

cheers

- Laukess

Have you tried setting "call iport g2 1" (or whatever port number your eGPU is plugged into) in Setup 1.x? It might be that you're sitting on a Gen1 connection even though you're capable of a Gen2.

Have you tried setting "call iport g2 1" (or whatever port number your eGPU is plugged into) in Setup 1.x? It might be that you're sitting on a Gen1 connection even though you're capable of a Gen2.

Ty for the reply. I've had some problems running Setup 1.x. I get an error message from windows. Something about putting in the WIn DVD to repair because it doesn't know how to boot. It also says something about missing brub.mbr.

Would it help me to use Win 7, or am I doing something else wrong ?

Is it posible to do out side Setup 1.x ?

hello again, thanks for your support on egpu experiences! . i've managed to install an eGPU by PE4L 2.1b on an acer aspire 5735z almost successfully ! i just need to do some changes to hopefully make a full working 1.1 opt config! then I'll post my results! see you soon

Hi guys.

Does anyone have the Setup-110b5-updates-2-27-2013.exe to share? (this link seems to be dead)

My ivy-bridge chipset is not being recognized :(

Thanks in advance!

Hi Nando.

I was a while since I've posted here.

Now that I finally have some money over to spend it's time for me to try my own eGPU setup =)

I didn't come long before encountering a problem.

My setup 1.x promts:

"[ichip] unknown intel chipset found"

I guess that I need to have the "Setup-110b5-updates-2-27-2013.exe", in order to have my ivy-bridge chipset recognized (since I need to anti-whitelist my ports).

Unfortunately the link is dead :(

Thanks for still going strong!

Link works fine. Try downloading with another browser and/or from another IP address.

Ty for the reply. I've had some problems running Setup 1.x. I get an error message from windows. Something about putting in the WIn DVD to repair because it doesn't know how to boot. It also says something about missing brub.mbr.

Would it help me to use Win 7, or am I doing something else wrong ?

Is it posible to do out side Setup 1.x ?

Check if your bios has an option for expresscard slot Gen1/Gen2 switching. Previous Fujitsu AH531 user reports suggest there isn't one. In which case reverting back to Setup 1.x, ensure you have a MBR installation of Windows for Setup 1.x to work. Check Device Manager -> Disk Drives -> [your HDD] -> Volumes -> Partition Style says "MBR". It would be technically feasible to use Linux' grub2 bootloader to do this also in the same pre-boot manner as Setup 1.x but that installation is for a more advanced user.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.