eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Sorry what I meant was that assuming his laptop can only has a PCIe 1.0 (not sure if this is what he meant) then he wouldn't be able to take advantage of the Gen 2 speeds that the PE4L is capable of since his slot only uses PCIe 1.0?

Or is it actually possible for newer cards to use Gen 2 speeds on a PCIe 1.0 slot? Is it dependent on the card itself instead of the the PCIe slot?

Yes, newer graphic cards will be compatible with PCI-E 1.0 slots, but you will not get much performance out of it.

Basically, even if your laptop only supports PCI-E 1.0, the PE4L and the GPU will not have any problems with it. They are compatible, it's just that you won't be getting Gen 2 PCI-E 2.0 speeds, just like you said!

In either case, the PE4L is cheaper anyways, so it's the better deal

Yeah, I was asking that since I was thinking maybe it's not really worth the trouble for quadrider to exchange his PE4H for a PE4L since I think he said his laptop only supports PCEe 1.0 anyway.

Unless he is thinking of using it in the future on another laptop maybe.

He said he couldn't play Call of Duty, I'll try it on mine and see if I have the same problem. Maybe it is some sort of universal problem like Ivxy said.

@Khenglish

what do you mean? i have my PLL number if you need that.

alright so i am ONLY capaible of running at PCI 1.0 but i hear that the PE4H is not even running at PCI 1.0 speeds and that its like crippled.

i thought that getting the PE4L will fix that problem. a lot of games that i play lag quite a bit including farcry 3 which i love a lot.

no matter how much i Overclock the GPU, turn down the graphic settings, etc, i always get the same FPS in most games.

so with that in mind, would getting the PE4L increase my performance at all with a GTX 560 Ti OC GPU?

@Khenglish

alright so i am ONLY capaible of running at PCI 1.0 but i hear that the PE4H is not even running at PCI 1.0 speeds and that its like crippled.

i thought that getting the PE4L will fix that problem. a lot of games that i play lag quite a bit including farcry 3 which i love a lot.

no matter how much i Overclock the GPU, turn down the graphic settings, etc, i always get the same FPS in most games.

so with that in mind, would getting the PE4L increase my performance at all with a GTX 560 Ti OC GPU?

Not sure about the PE4H not running at 1.0 speeds, I thought it was but since you only have a PCIe 1.0 slot on your laptop I don't think the PE4L would help much since you can't use Gen 2 speeds.

Just wondering too, what is your setup at the moment? Like CPU and eGPU? Maybe your CPU is too slow?

I don't have Farcry 3 to try but I tried Call of Duty Black Ops 2 and it's playable but I only get about 30-40 fps. Not sure why since I can run newer games pretty well. Maybe there is some fix for those types of games?

Not sure about the PE4H not running at 1.0 speeds, I thought it was but since you only have a PCIe 1.0 slot on your laptop I don't think the PE4L would help much since you can't use Gen 2 speeds.

Just wondering too, what is your setup at the moment? Like CPU and eGPU? Maybe your CPU is too slow?

I don't have Farcry 3 to try but I tried Call of Duty Black Ops 2 and it's playable but I only get about 30-40 fps. Not sure why since I can run newer games pretty well. Maybe there is some fix for those types of games?

dell studio 1458

pe4h 1.1 x1 EC2C

core i5 560m @3.2 ghz

6gb ram DDR3

intel 330 series SSD

pny gtx 560 Ti OC

i have a few games thT play really good

dirt3

bfbc2

games that play ok

black ops

farcry 3

battlefield 3

games that suck

modern warfare 2

world at war

forsaken world

modern warfare

test drive unlimited 2

like i said before, no matter what i make r\the resolution or graphic settings, it dosent help

the only games that do make difference is bfbc2 and dirt 3

odd, my GPU is definitely not as good as the gtx 560 ti, but I get good performance out of cod:mw2.

have you made sure that you set the performance in the nvidia control panel from "adaptive" to "performance"? it might help a little bit

@Khenglish

The PE4H runs pci-e 1.1 just fine. When I used a PE4H I was getting 22-24% PCI-E overclocks before I got instability. Maybe a PE4L could have gone, higher, but that was already pretty good.

Post your PLL number and I'll see if it can overclock.

odd, my GPU is definitely not as good as the gtx 560 ti, but I get good performance out of cod:mw2.

have you made sure that you set the performance in the nvidia control panel from "adaptive" to "performance"? it might help a little bit

ive set EVERYTHING i can to performance. nothing helps. you are running pci 1.0 x1 speeds? also do u have optimus?

this is not fair! why does mine suck so much.ive tried it on both 6770 and gtx 560 with the same results. no better gaming experience...

I get a whopping 15-20 fps in mw2 occasional spike to 40 or 60fps. rare tho

The PE4H runs pci-e 1.1 just fine. When I used a PE4H I was getting 22-24% PCI-E overclocks before I got instability. Maybe a PE4L could have gone, higher, but that was already pretty good.

Post your PLL number and I'll see if it can overclock.

thank you!

SLG8SP587V

ive set EVERYTHING i can to performance. nothing helps. you are running pci 1.0 x1 speeds? also do u have optimus?

this is not fair! why does mine suck so much.ive tried it on both 6770 and gtx 560 with the same results. no better gaming experience...

I get a whopping 15-20 fps in mw2 occasional spike to 40 or 60fps. rare tho

I'm running PCI-E 1.1 x1 with Optimus, so basically Opt1.1.

Now I don't remember what framerates I got, but definitely sat at 40-60 fps at all times (V-sync enabled, so max 60; would dip to say 40 during really intense scenes with lots of smoke and objects)

I'm running PCI-E 1.1 x1 with Optimus, so basically Opt1.1.

Now I don't remember what framerates I got, but definitely sat at 40-60 fps at all times (V-sync enabled, so max 60; would dip to say 40 during really intense scenes with lots of smoke and objects)

single player or multiplayer?

- - - Updated - - -

heres my 3DMark06 scores

my dGPU-ATI Radeon 540v

5yi5w4.jpg

my eGPU-PNY GTX 560Ti

t9xni8.jpg

my eGPU-PNY GTX 560 Ti OVERCLOCKED more over stock- 950mhz core 2400mhz memory

o396x.jpg

single player or multiplayer?

- - - Updated - - -

heres my 3DMark06 scores

my dGPU-ATI Radeon 540v

5yi5w4.jpg

my eGPU-PNY GTX 560Ti

t9xni8.jpg

my eGPU-PNY GTX 560 Ti OVERCLOCKED more over stock- 950mhz core 2400mhz memory

o396x.jpg

That was a while ago, so I don't remember... but let's say both SP and MP?

Either way, have a look at my 3DMark06 benchmarks, you'll find that I'm getting just under 20k scores. Your GTX 560 Ti should be getting much better scores than what I had.

Yours:

SM2.0: 2208

HDR/SM3.0: 2004

Mine:

SM2.0: 8030

HDR/SM3.0: 8828

There might be something off about your eGPU setup, because 3DMark06 is detecting your dGPU ATI as your primary display device, whereas 3DMark06 detected my eGPU as my primary display device.

2 things, 1 o dont have optimus, and 2 its detecting that because i did not close the program before i plugged it in. i just re ran it, and now its saying same score, but it reconnizes my eGPU as the GTX.

so why are mine incredibly low compared to yours?

would you be able to disable optimus and run a 3dmark06 benchmark so i can compare?

Sorry, I don't think you can really disable Optimus, not without disabling the iGPU at least. I'll give it a try later on, see if I can disable Optimus and then run a '06 benchmark with just the eGPU.

Sorry, I don't think you can really d

isable Optimus, not without disabling the iGPU at least. I'll give it a try later on, see if I can disable Optimus and then run a '06 benchmark with just the eGPU.

Thanks! .............

Thanks! .............

Sorry, it looks like I can't disable the Intel iGPU: Setup 1.x gives me an error that says "cannot disable iGPU on Series-6+ chip sets.

it's like I suspected that you cannot really disable Optimus without fully disabling the Intel iGPU. I'm sure it's possible, it's just that I'm not aware of how to do it!

That was a while ago, so I don't remember... but let's say both SP and MP?

Either way, have a look at my 3DMark06 benchmarks, you'll find that I'm getting just under 20k scores. Your GTX 560 Ti should be getting much better scores than what I had.

Yours:

SM2.0: 2208

HDR/SM3.0: 2004

Mine:

SM2.0: 8030

HDR/SM3.0: 8828

There might be something off about your eGPU setup, because 3DMark06 is detecting your dGPU ATI as your primary display device, whereas 3DMark06 detected my eGPU as my primary display device.

His scores are in line with no optimus. 3dm06 performs particularly awful with low PCI-E bandwidth for nvidia cards unless optimus is working.

His scores are in line with no optimus. 3dm06 performs particularly awful with low PCI-E bandwidth for nvidia cards unless optimus is working.

damn really? you think a ATI 6770 would run better then the GTX 560Ti?

also any word on the FSB Overclock?

hi have

TOSHIBA Satellite C850-B720

Intel Panther Point HM76, Intel Ivy Bridge

CPU #1 Intel® Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2395 MHz

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #2 In Use @ x1 (Realtek RTL8723AE 802.11n PCI-E Wireless Network Adapter)

AMD Radeon HD 7610M

no Intel HD Graphics

what gpu recommended nvidia or amd & can run on internal LCD

can any one help me

hi have

TOSHIBA Satellite C850-B720

Intel Panther Point HM76, Intel Ivy Bridge

CPU #1 Intel® Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2395 MHz

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #2 In Use @ x1 (Realtek RTL8723AE 802.11n PCI-E Wireless Network Adapter)

AMD Radeon HD 7610M

no Intel HD Graphics

what gpu recommended nvidia or amd & can run on internal LCD

can any one help me

So the HD4000 is permanently disabled? That's very odd. I was not aware of manufacturers still doing that since it can be used to extend battery life. Are you absolutely certain that it is disabled?

If it is then it will be difficult to get good eGPU performance, especially on internal LCD.

@Quadrider10

No it's really only 3dm06 that performs terrible for nvidia compared to ati/amd, so don't switch cards. Still looking into your PLL.

So the HD4000 is permanently disabled? That's very odd. I was not aware of manufacturers still doing that since it can be used to extend battery life. Are you absolutely certain that it is disabled?

If it is then it will be difficult to get good eGPU performance, especially on internal LCD.

@Quadrider10

No it's really only 3dm06 that performs terrible for nvidia compared to ati/amd, so don't switch cards. Still looking into your

Albright kool thabks! I have a 6770 and that one gave me a higher wie score then the gtx did

Hi, it seems that I have got an annoying problem: I'm using DIY vidock without any problem for a long time, then suddenly I get blue screen, even when I'm browsing on the internet. Does anyone have the solution? I tried uninstall and reinstall graphics driver (even with clean installation), but the problem still exists.

When do these blue screens happen? Can you reliably reproduce them? For example, do you get a blue screen every time you open up a video file in VLC or another video player? what about any games, can you play some games and not others?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.