eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hey guys, I have a quick question for those knowledgeable on pcie scaling. I'm currently planning on running an OCed gtx 670 or 680 with my epu setup. I have the equipment for a 1.2opt connection. I've seen that I can get about 70% desktop framerates with these cards. Now, how do you think scaling will be with a card like the gtx 690 IF it could work (heard impossible), or the new Titan coming out soon (performs similar to 690 but single core), would the ~2x pcie 2.0 bottleneck limit the card to less than ~60-70% performance?

Take a look at the main stickied thread here, your questions are answered for the most part. But for the record:

If you're using an nVidia card externally, then the native Optimus technology in the driver will allow you to drive the internal screen from an external GPU. However, the compression technology only kicks in with a 1x link (meaning ExpressCard, not Thunderbolt).

With AMD you need to use the Virtu MVP software to do this.

If you have a newer system with ExpressCard and PCI-Express 2.0 (sandy bridge or newer laptops) then you want to make sure your adapter has a soldered cable not a modular one. That means don't use the PE4H 2.4, you need to use PE4L v2.1 or the PE4H v3.2 (which has an enclosure).

There's no good Thunderbolt solution yet since the TH05 was recalled. I know, I'm waiting for one :)

Again read the first few posts on the main stickied thread for a good summary.

Nando,

just dropping a line to say that I have added photos to my thread, showing the PM3N mPCI-e card installed in my Dell, as well as photos of my enclosure. My enclosure isn't final, but it's darn close. I just need to cut out a hole in the side of the enclosure to allow easy access to the mHDMI cable/port (or whatever cable the PE4L uses), and to drill holes in the base so that I can screw the PSU into place.

It's also really easy to pack up and take with me.

Please feel free to link to any of it, or none of it. Hopefully it will encourage more users to join the eGPU crowd!

• Thumbs Up 2

julio,

What is your hardware setup? What laptop do you have, what are its specs, and what eGPU kit are you using?

For example, is it a Lenovo X220 with 8GB of RAM? Are you using the PE4L+EC200a with a GTX 560?

This kind of information is really important to do proper troubleshooting.

Cheers

• Thumbs Up 1

julio,

What is your hardware setup? What laptop do you have, what are its specs, and what eGPU kit are you using?

For example, is it a Lenovo X220 with 8GB of RAM? Are you using the PE4L+EC200a with a GTX 560?

This kind of information is really important to do proper troubleshooting.

Cheers

I have a fujitsu T900 with 8GB of RAM windows 7 64 bit and my egpu is a PE4h EC2C with a radeon HD6770. I got an (error 12). I tried the set up 1.x but it won't work because I guess it has the 8 gigs of ram and whenever I tried to do the compaction it would freeze. then I tried the DSDT Override and I successfully created the 36 bit space to allocate the egpu. But Now when booting it still gives me an error 12 and it doesn't allocate it on 36 bit space. I tried halting windows with f8 or turning the egpu when the windows logo appears but still it wont work. what I was going to do was to hard allocate the egpu but I don't understand the procedure. I found this code but I don't know where or how to do it. Thanks I appreciate your help.

cd %DRV%:\configcompact pciend E10000000 useonly [eGPU PCI ID] makebatch pci.bat import devcon.txtcall pci:: Chainload the MBRcall grub4dos mbr

I have a fujitsu T900 with 8GB of RAM windows 7 64 bit and my egpu is a PE4h EC2C with a radeon HD6770. I got an (error 12). I tried the set up 1.x but it won't work because I guess it has the 8 gigs of ram and whenever I tried to do the compaction it would freeze. then I tried the DSDT Override and I successfully created the 36 bit space to allocate the egpu. But Now when booting it still gives me an error 12 and it doesn't allocate it on 36 bit space. I tried halting windows with f8 or turning the egpu when the windows logo appears but still it wont work. what I was going to do was to hard allocate the egpu but I don't understand the procedure. I found this code but I don't know where or how to do it. Thanks I appreciate your help.

cd %DRV%:\configcompact pciend E10000000 useonly [eGPU PCI ID] makebatch pci.bat import devcon.txtcall pci:: Chainload the MBRcall grub4dos mbr</pre>

Step 7 of the DSDT override info expands on how to hard allocate the eGPU using Setup 1.x.

• Thumbs Up 1

right now, i can run my e6230 + gtx660 via PE4L 2.1b running at x1 2.0 using (SW1=1) PERST 0 delay and the other option(SW2) being 2-3. 3dmark06 score is 10200 (OC-ed)

then, i tried Tech Inferno Fan's recommendation of modding the windows 8 to enable F8 button to access advanced startup menu. F8 works now.

i switched the SW2=3 PERST 6.9sec delay.

i off everything => on egpu (now has a bright red light that previously doesnt exist) => on laptop => spam F8 (note: advanced startup is on internal LCD) => wait for red light to go off => start windows normally => external monitor no reaction => windows start up with internal LCD and HD4000 igpu (egpu not being detected at all).

whats wrong with my set up?

my set up is still not working on 2.0opt. :( are there anything else that i should do to fix it?

I am having a problem with trying to get sound out to my receiver while hooked up to the egpu. I have disabled sound processing from the video card, to decrease pcie lane traffic, and have the receiver connected to my laptop's native HDMI port. I get sound, but there is gargling and static audible at low sound levels (as if the sound floor has rose considerably). Additionally, while playing games I have noticed VERY large performance drops with the receiver connected compared to unplugged. Anybody have any thoughts? I have a Dell E6520, and hot-plug once windows boots. I did not use the setup 1.x thing yet, or do any kind of compaction. Would these help?

What am I forgetting?

So I've got PE4L 2.1b + Nvidia 660 GTX ti + Corsair CX 430 to power the thing.

I set it up and the hardware gets detected. The drivers install but then I end up seeing this

post-9761-14494994346306_thumb.png

The first error I get is error 38.

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)"

After rebooting the computer, then I get Code 43.

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems."

The computer CANNOT start with the expresscard inserted in.

I decided to get creative and tried to disable the laptop's default graphics and rebooted the computer. To my surprise, the card showed as "working." Under device manager but the Nvida control panel did not recognize any cards. Of course, nothing worked as I was stuck on laptop's lowest resolutions and none of the games would boot saying "card not supported."

Basically put, nothing worked.

I then went here: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2129-diy-egpu-troubleshooting-faq.html#main_faq2

and tried to download the 270.61 driver as described, Unfortunately, that link is down. It also seems outdated, as the posts are in 2011.

So back to square one as shown above. My laptop GPU working but my EGPU obviously NOT working with an error 43 in the device manager.

Here's the system specs:

HP ProBook 4730s. running second generation i7 with 8GB of RAM. (Sandy Bridge machine).

Expresscard slot 2.0

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate K (korean ver)

Please help.

------------------UPDATE 2/20/2012 5:14PM USA EST-----------------

Okay.. I just realized the GTX 660TI requires TWO PCI 6pin connectors from power supply.

The CX430 only has one PCI-e connector....

Is that a problem?

Also.....

.6100d1361398716t-123123123123.png

For no reason at all, now I am seeing all three devices are functioning....but nothing is working and neither is the nvidia control panel recognizing any cards.

Please help.

Thank you

post-9761-14494994347564_thumb.png

post-9761-14494994347761_thumb.jpg

Step 7 of the DSDT override info expands on how to hard allocate the eGPU using Setup 1.x.

Thanks Tech Inferno Fan I appreciate the help. The thing is I have a background in architecture design and I've always had issues with computer language...

Help me understand this correctly to see if i'm getting it step by step: (and sorry for the inconvenience)

1. Run 1.x set up and go to the dos option

2. type in cd %DRV%:\configcompact pciend E10000000

3. type in ? makebatch pci.bat

4. type in ? import devcon.txt

5. type in ? call pci How?

6. Chainload the MBR How?

7. call grub4dos mbr How?

Again thanks for your help, I kind of had a hard time getting my dsdt override to work and I feel I'm close to get this thing working

my set up is still not working on 2.0opt. :( are there anything else that i should do to fix it?

Are you sure GPU-Z isn't showing x1 2.0 when you put the eGPU under load (eg: run a game)? It will show the eGPU running as pci-e x1 1.1 while it is idle as a power saving technique. I recall my E6230's bios did set the expresscard slot to run at x1 2.0 speed. If for some reason it's not doing that on your system then Setup 1.x can be used to set the expresscard slot to x1 2.0 (Gen2) speed.

I am having a problem with trying to get sound out to my receiver while hooked up to the egpu. I have disabled sound processing from the video card, to decrease pcie lane traffic, and have the receiver connected to my laptop's native HDMI port. I get sound, but there is gargling and static audible at low sound levels (as if the sound floor has rose considerably). Additionally, while playing games I have noticed VERY large performance drops with the receiver connected compared to unplugged. Anybody have any thoughts? I have a Dell E6520, and hot-plug once windows boots. I did not use the setup 1.x thing yet, or do any kind of compaction. Would these help?

Setup 1.x can help by pre-allocating devices prior to boot. I have noticed that Win7 will reallocate them and sometimes doesn't quite get things right (eg: wifi cards failing). Perhaps your internal soundcard is struggling in the same way?

What am I forgetting?

So I've got PE4L 2.1b + Nvidia 660 GTX ti + Corsair CX 430 to power the thing.

I set it up and the hardware gets detected. The drivers install but then I end up seeing this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6094[/ATTACH]

The first error I get is error 38.

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)"

After rebooting the computer, then I get Code 43.

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems."

The computer CANNOT start with the expresscard inserted in.

I decided to get creative and tried to disable the laptop's default graphics and rebooted the computer. To my surprise, the card showed as "working." Under device manager but the Nvida control panel did not recognize any cards. Of course, nothing worked as I was stuck on laptop's lowest resolutions and none of the games would boot saying "card not supported."

Basically put, nothing worked.

I then went here: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2129-diy-egpu-troubleshooting-faq.html#main_faq2

and tried to download the 270.61 driver as described, Unfortunately, that link is down. It also seems outdated, as the posts are in 2011.

So back to square one as shown above. My laptop GPU working but my EGPU obviously NOT working with an error 43 in the device manager.

Here's the system specs:

HP ProBook 4730s. running second generation i7 with 8GB of RAM. (Sandy Bridge machine).

Expresscard slot 2.0

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate K (korean ver)

Please help.

------------------UPDATE 2/20/2012 5:14PM USA EST-----------------

Okay.. I just realized the GTX 660TI requires TWO PCI 6pin connectors from power supply.

The CX430 only has one PCI-e connector....

Is that a problem?

Also.....

.6100d1361398716t-123123123123.png

For no reason at all, now I am seeing all three devices are functioning....but nothing is working and neither is the nvidia control panel recognizing any cards.

Please help.

Thank you

Try removing the Intel HD driver you have which has some customizations for switchable Radeon graphics. Then install a standard Intel HD driver from their website and then do a 'clean' reinstall of the NVidia desktop drivers after that. NVidia Optimus' internal LCD mode works great with the stock drivers.

Thanks Tech Inferno Fan I appreciate the help. The thing is I have a background in architecture design and I've always had issues with computer language...

Help me understand this correctly to see if i'm getting it step by step: (and sorry for the inconvenience)

1. Run 1.x set up and go to the dos option

2. type in cd %DRV%:\configcompact pciend E10000000

3. type in ? makebatch pci.bat

4. type in ? import devcon.txt

5. type in ? call pci How?

6. Chainload the MBR How?

7. call grub4dos mbr How?

Again thanks for your help, I kind of had a hard time getting my dsdt override to work and I feel I'm close to get this thing working

Please submit 2 further quality posts on T|I so private messaging (PM) can be activated. We can discuss this over PM.

• Thumbs Up 1

WORKS!!!!!!

THANK YOU NANDO THANK YOU NANDO THANK YOU NANDO.

A few questions....

1. My older video is now seeing an error (10) in device manager. It's now listed as "Standard VGA graphic adapter" is this normal?

2. Does that mean without an EGPU my computer pretty much does not have a working videocard? Will I be able to play games at a friend's house without an EGPU at all?

3. If this is a problem how do I solve it?

Thank you!!!!

Are you sure GPU-Z isn't showing x1 2.0 when you put the eGPU under load (eg: run a game)? It will show the eGPU running as pci-e x1 1.1 while it is idle as a power saving technique. I recall my E6230's bios did set the expresscard slot to run at x1 2.0 speed. If for some reason it's not doing that on your system then Setup 1.x can be used to set the expresscard slot to x1 2.0 (Gen2) speed.

thanks for your reply. GPU-Z is showing x1 2.0 when i run benchmark/game. it does show 1.1 when it is idle. I made it run at 2.0 already but then it is not running at 1.2Opt. my 3dmark benchmarks are the same as your
GTX660 x1 2.0 10978
but not
GTX660 x1.2Opt 19673 &

Is there any reason not to suspect that the PE4L chip has gone bad in my situation? It was working a couple of months ago, then I let it sit for a while and tried to turn it on - no luck. I did perform a BIOS update in between then and now, but I'm not sure that this would completely prevent both Setup 1.x and Windows from detecting the card. I tried various combinations of the jumper switches and tried connecting to an older HP laptop - nothing detects. I don't have a desktop to test the video card in (a GTX 570HD) but I wouldn't expect the graphics card to have died. Voltages on the power supply seemed within specifications when I tested them with a multimeter. If it is the board, does BPlus have any sort of warranty? I know if it's the card EVGA will warranty it.

Hi everybody, i'm reading abouth eGPU from few months cause i decided to upgrade my Macbook4,1:

i'm totally new to egpu.. but if i've understood something here it is:

i need to open my mac and remove the airport card to use the 1X configuration on my mPCIe connector. (i have no express card slot)

set up PE4H/L +PM3N+any videocard... (maybe something OOB)

the point is: i wrote to hwtools support and they answered me that my BIOS may be not compatible..

but many pages ago i read about some of you who with a macbook pro get it working..

my question is: if i'm on a Core2Duo 2.1ghz 2GB Ram, fully supported 64bit OS, WIN7 and MountainLion (boots with kernel 64bit) what kind of configuration should i choose to get it working at least on BootCamp?

i don't know if my motherboard (signed by apple, i suppose) will give me problems not recognizing through the Airport's mPCIe the eGPU system!

thanks

I would really like to buy the software and all the hardware system, but first i've got 3 questions:

Would DIYeGPU-Setup-110b5 work on my MacBook4,1?

is there any problem if I connect my eGPU to the mPCIe instead of a thunderbolt? (I know i'll get only 1.x connection, but still better than intel 965 chipset)

I have Win7 and Boot Camp 3.1 Patch, would a clean UEFI installation give me certainty to have less problems?

Which ATI/Nvidia should i buy, if i'm searching for best compatibility and good quality/price? (play batman arkham city is my aim...)

Hi,

is it possible to update the Link to the Setup 1.x Update? I bought the software in april 2012 and so my my version is outdated and I can't update because the link for the update is offline.

Thanks

Nando4 comment>> Fixed download link under the 9-19-2019: Patch for Setup 110b5 section at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-x.html#post27337 .

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.