eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hello all,

A friend of mine told me to purchase a GTX660Ti if I had "switchable graphics."

He also told me I'd know if I did have switchable graphics by checking the display section of my device manager. He told me I'd see "HD3000+HD6490M/7470M.

The instructions seemed pretty easy to follow until, I saw this under my device manager:

post-9761-14494994246386_thumb.png

As you see, I've got:

Intel HD graphics family

AMD radeon HD 7470M.

So, do I have switchable graphics? Once I figure that out I'm planning to go get the 660Ti

And finally,

If I do get the 660Ti, I plan on buying the Corsair CX430 V2 430W PSU to power it. Would that work?

Thank you all

Nando,

I was about to pull the trigger on the PE4H 3.2 enclosure when I saw your recommendation after zsph's difficulties. I looked at the picture on their site and it looks like the board in the 3.2 has a soldered cable, not a modular one. Does this mean it should be compatible with PCI-e 2.0? Or do i need to forgo the enclosure to be safe? :-(

PE4H V3.2 (PCIe x16 Adapter)

What i still dont get is: why is it so difficult (for Bplus) to make the cable detachable? Couldnt it be simply done just by cutting of the hdmi cable and use a universal connector to connect/disconnect it?

Something like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5920[/ATTACH]

Maybe it is possible to mod a current PE4L this way to be detachable.

pci-e 2.0 runs 5Ghz signalling, mimicking transmission line signalling. Unmatched or parasitic impedance elements add signal reflections and so degrade signal integrity, with the mHDMI connector being one that falls into that category.

Highly doubt your universal connector would work. It would at least need to run the unshielded cable in parallel. Though you are welcome to try and report your results.

Interesting and frustrating, upgraded to Win8 and scored 1000 less Result

Futuremark are aware that Win8 gives lower scores in 3dmark06/vantage. While initially enthusiastic about Win8, I changed my mind and reverted back to Win7 after incompatibility niggles, missing StartButton (though StartIsBack is pretty good) and the lack of Aero translucent windows. Win7 is a mature and stable platform with Aero giving plenty more visual candy. A breath of fresh air after trying to handle Win8.

Hello all,

A friend of mine told me to purchase a GTX660Ti if I had "switchable graphics."

He also told me I'd know if I did have switchable graphics by checking the display section of my device manager. He told me I'd see "HD3000+HD6490M/7470M.

The instructions seemed pretty easy to follow until, I saw this under my device manager:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5929[/ATTACH]

As you see, I've got:

Intel HD graphics family

AMD radeon HD 7470M.

So, do I have switchable graphics? Once I figure that out I'm planning to go get the 660Ti

And finally,

If I do get the 660Ti, I plan on buying the Corsair CX430 V2 430W PSU to power it. Would that work?

Thank you all

You have switchable graphics. CX430 has plenty of power for a GTX660Ti. A GTX660Ti is so efficient that you could even run it with a 12V/18A basic ATX PSU that can be found by dumpster diving in your local finance or business district.

Nando,

I was about to pull the trigger on the PE4H 3.2 enclosure when I saw your recommendation after zsph's difficulties. I looked at the picture on their site and it looks like the board in the 3.2 has a soldered cable, not a modular one. Does this mean it should be compatible with PCI-e 2.0? Or do i need to forgo the enclosure to be safe? :-(

PE4H 3.2 and PE4L-ECxxxA/PMxxxA 2.1b have soldered cables on both ends. They are pci-e 2.0 compliant.

Anything with a cable that has a mHDMI connector on it isn't pci-e 2.0 compliant. That's PE4H 2.4 and PE4L 1.5 or older.

Posted this in another thread with no response. Long time reader, first time poster. I've been considering putting together an eGPU for a while and finally decided after recieving a new T430 to add an eGPU to it.

My system specs consist of:

• Processor
    Intel Core i5-3210M Processor

• Operating System
    Windows 8 Professional (64 bit)

• Display Type
    14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready

• System Graphics
    NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1GB DDR3 Memory

• Total Memory
    4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)

For my eGPU I have ordered a PE4L Adapater, a GTX660 2GB card and a 500w corsair power supply. I am mainly interested in running Counter-Strike Global offensive, right now i run at about 70fps. After reading through many experiences on these forums and notebookreview I have a good understanding of how it works. My questions are, should i have gotten the PE4H adapter instead? Will I be able to run at 1.1opt speeds since I have optimus technology even tho my processor is a 5 series? Are there any issues that come by default when adding an eGPU to this type of system? If I'm missing any components please let me know. Everything arrives tommorow and I'd like to know if I have everything to complete this project. Thanks for all the help and insight.

Regards,

CPL

Can someone please explain step by step how to supply power from PSU to pe4l and GPU? I plugged connector from PSU INTO GPU AND PE4L AND turned it on and it burn out the pe4l? I have a new pe4l coming this week. If pictures of my psu/gpu would help let me know. thanks for everyones help

Thank you Nando, you're always so helpful.

So anyone having trouble actually BUYING the PE4H-EC060A 2.4 ? The order page does NOT have it listed on their website.

A quick google search showed this site : PE4H-EC060A v2.4 (PCIe passive adapter with EC060A Express Card adapter) - M-FACTORS Storage

I'm assuming it's the same thing? Anyone familiar with this vendor and can I trust them?

Also anyone familiar with this?

PE4H-EC060A V3.2 (PCIe x16 Adapter) - M-FACTORS Storage

What's the difference between the two products? (2.4 v 3.2) The casing is pretty attractive though the price...not so much.

Thank you Nando, you're always so helpful.

So anyone having trouble actually BUYING the PE4H-EC060A 2.4 ? The order page does NOT have it listed on their website.

A quick google search showed this site : PE4H-EC060A v2.4 (PCIe passive adapter with EC060A Express Card adapter) - M-FACTORS Storage

I'm assuming it's the same thing? Anyone familiar with this vendor and can I trust them?

Also anyone familiar with this?

PE4H-EC060A V3.2 (PCIe x16 Adapter) - M-FACTORS Storage

What's the difference between the two products? (2.4 v 3.2) The casing is pretty attractive though the price...not so much.

PE4H v2.4 doesn't have Gen 2 compatibility. Just making sure there isn't a misunderstanding here.

PE4H v3.2 is almost the same, it's just made differently for use with the enclosure. However, PE4H v3.2 does support Gen 2

PE4H v2.4 doesn't have Gen 2 compatibility. Just making sure there isn't a misunderstanding here.

PE4H v3.2 is almost the same, it's just made differently for use with the enclosure. However, PE4H v3.2 does support Gen 2

so the only thing we need to purhase now is the Power Supply and the right graphics card right? What power adaptor would work with say at NVidia 660Ti? 160 watt?

Ice

PS: At the price of $170 + price of another power adaptor... isn't that just cheaper to purchase the VillageTronic 4+??? and save on the trouble of sourcing everything else? [PS: I know everyone will be bias with the PE4H v3.2 but im just weight up the facts only & I've bought myself an alienware m18x R2 recently with Nvidia 675m SLI]

so the only thing we need to purhase now is the Power Supply and the right graphics card right? What power adaptor would work with say at NVidia 660Ti? 160 watt?

Ice

PS: At the price of $170 + price of another power adaptor... isn't that just cheaper to purchase the VillageTronic 4+??? and save on the trouble of sourcing everything else? [PS: I know everyone will be bias with the PE4H v3.2 but im just weight up the facts only & I've bought myself an alienware m18x R2 recently with Nvidia 675m SLI]

Yeah, 160 watt would be enough for the 660 ti.

ViDock 4+ is $309 before tax. Don't forget that you also have to buy a graphics card for the ViDock 4+. I think the PE4H v3.2 is much more cost effective. Especially if you have a power supply lying around, or you can buy a cheap ATX power supply ($20-30). Also, if you want to use the DC adapter we talked about a few pages back, you only need one. The ViDock uses two AC adapters. Also, the PE4H v3.2 has fans.

Thank you, i thought the entire time 2.4 supports Gen2.

If you look at their chart though, it does say in red "supports gen2". What gen 2 is it speaking of? I have an express card 2.0 and a real knowledgeable friend of mine recommended pe4h ec060a 2.4. Hence the question about wondering why the "buy" page of their site no longer lists it in their options.

Yeah, 160 watt would be enough for the 660 ti.

ViDock 4+ is $309 before tax. Don't forget that you also have to buy a graphics card for the ViDock 4+. I think the PE4H v3.2 is much more cost effective. Especially if you have a power supply lying around, or you can buy a cheap ATX power supply ($20-30). Also, if you want to use the DC adapter we talked about a few pages back, you only need one. The ViDock uses two AC adapters. Also, the PE4H v3.2 has fans.

Thanks for the Clarification. I don't have a spare ATX power Supply and I an NOT technically minded to sheild myself if I had a bare ATX Power Supply so I'll go the 'Proper' way:

1 x PE4H-EC060A V3.2 (PCIe x16 Adapter) = $170

1 x Premium picoPSU-160-XT w/AC-DC 12V 192W 16A switching adapter = $109

= $279 + Shipping to Australia

ViDock 4+ OverDrive = $279 + Shipping To Australia

Advantage of PE4H = Fan + Single Power Supply?

Advantage of ViDock 4+ Overdrive = Can handle PCIe card with two 6-pin power connectors?

Question:

1. What about the [120W 19.5V AC Adapter (Input:110-240V ~ 2.0A 50-60Hz Output 19.5V 6.15A)] which the webpage mentioned?

2. A $20 software from Tech Inferno Fan?

3. My Alienware M18x R2 has 16 Gb of ram, does that mean I have to remove 12 Gb to make that work?

Do I still need to cost both of them too?

sorry about the noobie questions

Ice

Nando,

PEH 3.2 is pci-e 2.0 compliant because, as you note, the cable is soldered on both ends.

Thank you, i thought the entire time 2.4 supports Gen2.

If you look at their chart though, it does say in red "supports gen2". What gen 2 is it speaking of? I have an express card 2.0 and a real knowledgeable friend of mine recommended pe4h ec060a 2.4. Hence the question about wondering why the "buy" page of their site no longer lists it in their options.

zsph was the first to test the Gen2 (expresscard 2.0) capability of PE4H-EC060A 2.4 over the last week or so finding it fails Gen2 testing. I've summarized those findings as an alert here. BPlus and HIT have also been notified of this. Per that alert I advise you only purchase PE4L 2.1b or PE4H 3.2, both with a soldered cable, to get 100% reliable Gen2 link transmission.

Thanks for the Clarification. I don't have a spare ATX power Supply and I an NOT technically minded to sheild myself if I had a bare ATX Power Supply so I'll go the 'Proper' way:

1 x PE4H-EC060A V3.2 (PCIe x16 Adapter) = $170

1 x Premium picoPSU-160-XT w/AC-DC 12V 192W 16A switching adapter = $109

= $279 + Shipping to Australia

ViDock 4+ OverDrive = $279 + Shipping To Australia

Advantage of PE4H = Fan + Single Power Supply?

Advantage of ViDock 4+ Overdrive = Can handle PCIe card with two 6-pin power connectors?

Question:

1. What about the [120W 19.5V AC Adapter (Input:110-240V ~ 2.0A 50-60Hz Output 19.5V 6.15A)] which the webpage mentioned?

3. My Alienware M18x R2 has 16 Gb of ram, does that mean I have to remove 12 Gb to make that work?

Do I still need to cost both of them too?

sorry about the noobie questions

Ice

M18xR2 has no expresscard slot. It has a Gen2 capable mPCIe slot used for wifi. It might have others too, perhaps for WWAN or TV tuner? You'd need to check.

BPlus has a Gen2 mPCIe solution in the form of PE4L-PMxxxA 2.1b. There is no mPCIe-based ViDock solution.

Does your system have an active Intel HD4000 iGPU showing in the Display Adapters section of Device Manager? If it does then you could consider a NVidia Fermi/Keplar card to get x1.2Opt performance and features such as internal LCD mode. If it does or doesn't you could consider an AMD HD7xxx card which gives overall better performance . See the following reference links:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2747-12-5-dell-e6230-gtx660%40x1-2opt-hd7870%40x1-2-pe4l-ec060a-2-1b.html#post37197 ([email protected] vs [email protected]/x1.2)

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2824-dell-xps-15-l502x-pe4h-pm3n-gtx-650-ti-%40-1-1opt.html#post38573 (a mPCIe implementation of an Optimus system requiring dGPU disabling to get x1.2Opt performance).

PEH 3.2 is pci-e 2.0 compliant because, as you note, the cable is soldered on both ends.

M18xR2 has no expresscard slot. It has a Gen2 capable mPCIe slot used for wifi. It might have others too, perhaps for WWAN or TV tuner? You'd need to check.

Does your system have an active Intel HD4000 iGPU showing in the Display Adapters section of Device Manager? If it does then you could consider a NVidia Fermi/Keplar card to get x1.2Opt performance and features such as internal LCD mode. If it does or doesn't you could consider an AMD HD7xxx card which gives overall better performance . See the following reference links:

My Alienware m18x R2 comes with a Express Card Slot (54 mm) and with a Intel® HD Graphics 4000!

Dell Alienware M18x and M18X R2 - Laptops - Dell Global Sales Training - Dell Community

I bought that so I can purchase a eGPU one day to handle more than 4+ monitors. Im still confused with the following question... Do I need the following?

Thanks Tech Inferno Fan for the quick reply....

Ice

My Alienware m18x R2 comes with a Express Card Slot (54 mm) and with a Intel® HD Graphics 4000!

Dell Alienware M18x and M18X R2 - Laptops - Dell Global Sales Training - Dell Community

I bought that so I can purchase a eGPU one day to handle more than 4+ monitors. Im still confused with the following question... Do I need the following?

Thanks Tech Inferno Fan for the quick reply....

Ice

Wow. Indeed the m18xR2 has an expresscard slot Review Alienware M18x R2 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews . It and a few Fujitsu are the last remaining consumer notebooks with expresscard slots.

1. Useful only if powering the slot (75W). Generally useless for eGPU purposes since most will want > 150W. Best would be hacking a xbox360 203W PSU to have 2xpci-e power plugs and a floppy molex (12v, 5V) if using a PE4L 2.1b. See Elmopol's xbox360 PSU implementation.

2. You may need the Setup 1.1x software to (1) disable a NVidia dGPU so a NVidia eGPU is granted Optimus functionality if your BIOS hasn't got that function. It means your system will not have TOLUD issues since the eGPU can use the dGPU's 32-bit PCI space.

3. There is no need to remove any RAM as you will not have any TOLUD issues per (2).

Your system would be a great one to do a full implementation of as has a powerful dGPU to compare against the DIY eGPU performance. If using DIY eGPU hardware then I'd help you so we could document one of these in our implementation database. If using Villagetronic hardware then it's support/implementation goes via Villagetronic.

zsph was the first to test the Gen2 (expresscard 2.0) capability of PE4H-EC060A 2.4 over the last week or so finding it fails Gen2 testing. I've summarized those findings as an alert here. BPlus and HIT have also been notified of this. Per that alert I advise you only purchase PE4L 2.1b or PE4H 3.2, both with a soldered cable, to get 100% reliable Gen2 link transmission.

Wow, thank god I joined this community after this finding.

Oddly, Bplus has also taken out the Pe4L 2.1b EC line and the PE4H 3.2 line from their "buy it now" page. www.HWtools.net ??????????

Okay, to get Gen 2 support, I need to purchase a PE4L 2.1b or a PE4H 3.2 right everyone / nando?

This is the system I'm going to be adding the EGPU to. HP ProBook 4730s Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR) (LJ525UT) specifications - HP Products and Services Products

It's an HP Probook 4730s, a Sandy bridge machine with switchable graphics that has express card 2.0. (though I've heard all that from a smart friend of mine. I'm not smart enough to figure that out myself.)

SO here I go...purchasing

(1) one of PE4L 2.1B or PE4H-EC060A V3.2 (if Bplus ever puts it back on their page....?)

(2) Geforce 660ti

(3) A Power supply to correctly power the thing.

Do I have this right....? A little scared after the latest finding.

Thanks for the Clarification. I don't have a spare ATX power Supply and I an NOT technically minded to sheild myself if I had a bare ATX Power Supply so I'll go the 'Proper' way:1 x PE4H-EC060A V3.2 (PCIe x16 Adapter) = $1701 x Premium picoPSU-160-XT w/AC-DC 12V 192W 16A switching adapter = $109= $279 + Shipping to AustraliaViDock 4+ OverDrive = $279 + Shipping To AustraliaAdvantage of PE4H = Fan + Single Power Supply?Advantage of ViDock 4+ Overdrive = Can handle PCIe card with two 6-pin power connectors?Question:1. What about the [120W 19.5V AC Adapter (Input:110-240V ~ 2.0A 50-60Hz Output 19.5V 6.15A)] which the webpage mentioned?2. A $20 software from Tech Inferno Fan?3. My Alienware M18x R2 has 16 Gb of ram, does that mean I have to remove 12 Gb to make that work?Do I still need to cost both of them too?sorry about the noobie questionsIce

The 192w adapter and 160XT picoPSU combo is available for $75 here picoPSU-160-XT with 192W Adapter Power Kit

Also, the PE4H v3.2 can handle a PCIe card with two 6-pin power connectors.You don't need to buy the $20 software from Tech Inferno Fan. It should come with the order. You might need to buy it if you get the ViDock.

Really, I think the only advantage of the ViDock is that it looks nicer, in terms of aesthetics.

Your system would be a great one to do a full implementation of as has a powerful dGPU to compare against the DIY eGPU performance. If using DIY eGPU hardware then I'd help you so we could document one of these in our implementation database. If using Villagetronic hardware then it's support/implementation goes via Villagetronic.

Well, Im happy to take one for the community when I go down that path. I guess the first thing I've got to do is to find an nvidia graphics card [stability?] which gives me 3+ [DisplayPort] output. Figure out the power it requires and what sort of speed I would get compared to my current setup. Finally the cost involved as part of my due dillgence.

Its places such as this that gives me the confidence in setting up such a system.

Ice

- - - Updated - - -

The 192w adapter and 160XT picoPSU combo is available for $75 here picoPSU-160-XT with 192W Adapter Power Kit Also, the PE4H v3.2 can handle a PCIe card with two 6-pin power connectors..

There is no mentioned of it on the website. In fact, accord to http://www.mfactors.com/pe4h-ec060a-v3-2-pcie-x16-adapter/ they mentioned that they only support ONE 6 pin power connector!!!!

Does the Kit come with a 6 pin power connector? If not, how do I build one?

Thanks

Ice

There is no mentioned of it on the website. In fact, accord to PE4H-EC060A V3.2 (PCIe x16 Adapter) - M-FACTORS Storage they mentioned that they only support ONE 6 pin power connector!!!!

Does the Kit come with a 6 pin power connector? If not, how do I build one?

Check again. No where on that website does it say that it only supports one 6 pin connector.

It even shows you in the manual that it has two 6 pin power connectors.

http://www.bplus.com.tw/PDF/PE4H%20V3%202b%20user%20mannual.pdf

Hi Folks!

I have read through the old nbr articles and keep tracking this new one too for a time now. I have met it when I was in a dilemma of a new notebook purchase. I wanted the higher carftmanship of the business class, but also the usually higher 3D performance of the consumer ones. So far workstations seemed the only choice, but in my country they are so much overpriced from the start, and their later upgrade-ability is so unreliable, that I could not make my mind to choose them. Then I met this eGPU stuff, and the picture suddenly got cleared. :)

So I got an E6420 (upgraded to i7-2760qm) with a PE4L adapter and a GTX 570. I wanted an NV card, because I do not use external display and setting up radeon seems a little complicated and uncertain to me. May be now with the upcoming official Lucid MVP things going to change..

Sadly, my 570 started to act strangely, so I had no choice but to sell. Now looking for its successor. I am thinking on a GTX 660 now, but would like to see first how that new virtu changes things,

Anybody know something what could I expect? When will it release so on..?

I have yet to hear back from HIT regarding the "final" approach with my queued exchange to go Gen2

Up until now, my rep at HIT has said that they were told by their source that the PE4H + a new cable + mPCIe card would allow me to go Gen2. He said that they were working with their source to test and confirm this. If this is not the case (that PE4H 2.4 is at all Gen2 compatible), then I believe my rep will eventually get back to me and tell me so. Though HIT has been slow to write me, they have been consistent with their message and haven't lost a beat.

I'll write my rep now and see what his response is.

OK unfortunately I can't remember what I did differently but I've now got my X220t (Win8 UEFI i7 8gb) running perfectly with my GTX 460. My WEI score is a few decimal points lower than in Win7 but I don't notice the difference in real world use.

Can anyone please confirm what I am about to get myself into is okay for GEN 2 support?

(1) one of PE4L 2.1B or PE4H-EC060A V3.2 (if Bplus ever puts it back on their page....?)

(2) Geforce 660ti

(3) A Power supply to correctly power the thing.

I have a HP ProBook4730s. SPecifications are here: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF06b/321957-321957-64295-3955552-3955552-5060893-5173291.html?dnr=1

Briefly, it's a sandy bridge machine with expresscard 2.0 with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and 8 GB of ram.

PE4L 2.1B is indeed gen 2 compatible. I've got one plugged into my laptop as I type! It's also a lot cheaper than the PE4H 3.2 and you can make your own (probably smaller) enclosure as well, should that idea excite you.

What I can't tell you is how easy the setup will be on your particular machine. Worth searching through this thread and the old one on NBR to see if anyone has done an installation on your model of laptop/something similar.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.