eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Latest Virtu MVP (2.1.221) trial allows adding programs via the management panel. The version I hacked (2.1.220) to work has that greyed out but can edit the XML/ini file with an editor to add.

Yes. You have a NVidia chipset so get the equivalent of x1E with Intel chipsets. Posting your RE5-var-dx9-1280x800 benchmark would let us see how if fares in the leaderboard.

Sorry if i'm late,

my best performance in RE5-var-dx9-1280x800 benchmark is 76.5. My config il dell studio 1340 Core due duo P9600 8 gb Ram and egpu sapphire hd 7770.

• Thumbs Up 1

Quick question, would this picopower psu work for the PE4H v3.2? I'm using a GTX 460.

picoPSU-160-XT with 192W Adapter Power Kit

Do you know what the minimum power requirement is for your specific GTX 460? One of the EVGA models says it recommends a 400W PSU, so I would assume that 192W should be more than enough for your card. Just don't hold me to that :)

Hello everyone,

I've been looking at this project off and on for the past few months and have recently decided to go ahead and attempt it. I have a Lenovo x220 with an i5-2520M (2nd gen) and 8GB of ram. My current bios version is 1.21.

My main question at the moment has to do with the different versions of the PE4H. This has already been discussed to some extent, but despite my few days of searching I cannot seem to find a strait answer to the following question: is there an actual speed difference between the PE4H 2.4 and 3.2 versions?

On the following page, they claim that the PE4H v3.2 uses the full capabilities of the expresscard 2.x interface (5Gbps - pcie 2.x speed - as opposed to 2.5 Gbps with expresscard 1.x - pcie 1.x speed-). PE4H V3.2 (PCIe x16 Adapter) Should I trust the seller and go with v3.2, or save a few bucks and go with v2.4?

There was also a post a few pages back claiming that the PE4L and PE4H have the same speed. How is this possible considering the PE4L is x1 and the PE4H is x16.

Sorry for all the questions. If any of these have already been answered, just tell me and I'll do some more searching.

Thanks,

jrprj

EDIT: I think I may have posted this in the wrong thread. Should I have created a new thread for this question?

EDIT: Nope. Right thread.

Do you know what the minimum power requirement is for your specific GTX 460? One of the EVGA models says it recommends a 400W PSU, so I would assume that 192W should be more than enough for your card. Just don't hold me to that :)

I'm not sure, but I think it should definitely be less than 160. This is the card MSI USA - Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

I'm just concerned because it seems that I have to use this with the AC adapter to get to the 24-pin ATX for the PE4H v3.2 picoPSU-160-XT, 160watt (200watt peak) , 12V input DC-DC ATX Power Supply

It's capped at 160W. Is there any better way I can do this without that? I'd much rather use an AC adapter than a full power supply again.

Thanks for your help everyone! in the end I just wondered if it was the monitor and pulled an old tube out of my shed. it worked.

However I am now wondering if someone could answer anouther question. My Nvidia control panel will not detect that I have a monitor attached to my eGPU (GTX 650 Ti) unless I have the Integrated Graphics drivers enabled on my computer on startup. In other words, I have to startup my computer, do everything in setup1.x chain to windows and have my integrated graphics drivers enabled from the last time I was on my laptop. if I don't Have them on my Nvidia control panel does not detect that I have a monitor plugged in. after My Nvidia Control panel detects I have a monitor attached to my eGPU, I then have to go into my device manager and disable my integrated graphics drivers then I get my graphics on the external monitor. Is there a way I can just turn my computer on and it just load strait to my monitor after I go through chainloading to windows? I was wondering if anyone might have any theories on that.

To be honest, I think for now it would be a "no". And people, please correct me if I'm wrong.

DisplayPort and Thunderbolt may share the same connector (TB uses mDP), but what they do are completely different.

DisplayPort can transmit video and audio signals, but so far that's about it. Thunderbolt, on the other hand, transmits anything you want provided that somebody's built a solution for it. In a sense, think of Thunderbolt as just like USB: if somebody's built a solution for it, then it can do it. So DisplayPort is limited to 2 kinds of data whereas Thunderbolt is as versatile as manufacturers/developers make it.

Well, the reason why I hoped (and wish!) that there was a workaround with this is that DisplayPort was also supposed to be able to transmit video of quality much greater than just the 1080p of the initial HDMI spec, and so I assumed that it must obviously be allowed to pass through more data and/or better compression and thus hoped that it could be non-apple systems 'thunderbolt' solution. I hope to hear what some others might have to say about it. Though your logic does seem right to me.

I'm not sure, but I think it should definitely be less than 160. This is the card MSI USA - Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

I'm just concerned because it seems that I have to use this with the AC adapter to get to the 24-pin ATX for the PE4H v3.2 picoPSU-160-XT, 160watt (200watt peak) , 12V input DC-DC ATX Power Supply

It's capped at 160W. Is there any better way I can do this without that? I'd much rather use an AC adapter than a full power supply again.

Why not get a regular desktop PSU? That picoPSU doesn't look to have the 6-pin PCI-e power plug that is also required to power up the GPU itself.

For an eGPU such as the PE4H 2.4, you needed to power the GPU itself, as well a plug in the 24-pin ATX power into the SWEX board (which controlled the on/off of the PSU). I'm not familiar with the PE4H 3.2, so I don't know if you still need to power the GPU with the 6-pin.

Well, the reason why I hoped (and wish!) that there was a workaround with this is that DisplayPort was also supposed to be able to transmit video of quality much greater than just the 1080p of the initial HDMI spec, and so I assumed that it must obviously be allowed to pass through more data and/or better compression and thus hoped that it could be non-apple systems 'thunderbolt' solution. I hope to hear what some others might have to say about it. Though your logic does seem right to me.

DisplayPort is definitely superior to HDMI, but I think it is "locked down" to only transmit video. (I'm sure there are ways around it, but for the sake of off-the-shelf products, it's locked down.)

I just know that out of the box DisplayPort products only transmit video to/from sources/displays, whereas ThunderBolt is a connection that can transmit anything. If somebody's able to break out of the Intel licensing circle on ThunderBolt and somehow bring over that functionality to DisplayPort, that would be really, really amazing and beneficial to everybody.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your help everyone! in the end I just wondered if it was the monitor and pulled an old tube out of my shed. it worked.

However I am now wondering if someone could answer anouther question. My Nvidia control panel will not detect that I have a monitor attached to my eGPU (GTX 650 Ti) unless I have the Integrated Graphics drivers enabled on my computer on startup. In other words, I have to startup my computer, do everything in setup1.x chain to windows and have my integrated graphics drivers enabled from the last time I was on my laptop. if I don't Have them on my Nvidia control panel does not detect that I have a monitor plugged in. after My Nvidia Control panel detects I have a monitor attached to my eGPU, I then have to go into my device manager and disable my integrated graphics drivers then I get my graphics on the external monitor. Is there a way I can just turn my computer on and it just load strait to my monitor after I go through chainloading to windows? I was wondering if anyone might have any theories on that.

I never have to use Device Manager to get my external monitor going. I just use Windows' monitor management to tell it to use my external monitor as my primary screen (and I am in Projector Only mode).

What is your current setup? Are you on Nvidia (dGPU), Intel (iGPU), and Nvidia (eGPU)? If so, I have the exact same kind of setup (GT 540M, Intel HD 3000, GTX 650 Ti), but don't experience the same issue as you. Once I am chainloaded into Windows, I have no problems with multiple screens.

Why not get a regular desktop PSU? That picoPSU doesn't look to have the 6-pin PCI-e power plug that is also required to power up the GPU itself.

For an eGPU such as the PE4H 2.4, you needed to power the GPU itself, as well a plug in the 24-pin ATX power into the SWEX board (which controlled the on/off of the PSU). I'm not familiar with the PE4H 3.2, so I don't know if you still need to power the GPU with the 6-pin.

I'm pretty sure all I need with the PE4H 3.2 is the 24 pin ATX plug, it doesn't seem to need the 6-pin to power the GPU.

I used a PE4L 2.1b with a desktop PSU for the past few months. It stopped working and HIT didn't return any of my emails... I'm trying to go for something more portable and I don't have the time to make an enclosure, so I'm getting the PE4H 3.2 with the enclosure. I'm just trying to find a way to power it without using a desktop PSU :/

I'm pretty sure all I need with the PE4H 3.2 is the 24 pin ATX plug, it doesn't seem to need the 6-pin to power the GPU.

So how do you power the GPU itself? PCI ports can't provide enough power to a GPU on their own...

Anyone with a Lenovo laptop, can you give a step by step of how do you consistently get your eGPU to work? I installed mine a few weeks ago without issue but haven't used it in a while and now it does not work. I changed my memory so that it's only 2x4GB SODIMMs (since there seems to be an issue with 16GB).

What I do: I plug my ExpressCard in and power up my eGPU before booting my laptop up. In the BIOS, it's configured for iGPU only but with nVidia Optimus detection. When Win 8 loads, device manager detects my GTX 650 Ti but when I click on nVidia control panel, I get an error saying no display attached to nVidia GPU (only have internal screen). It does not switch to my nVidia GPU when I'm playing games. I have also tried pressing F8 when windows loads up (but I can't get it to do anything), then powering on the eGPU via the ATX switch, without any success either. Drivers are up to date with the latest ones from nVidia's website.

SWEX / ATX plug is only for switching on the ATX PSU. You'll need the 6-pin to fully power the GPU. You can always hack 6-pins onto the 12v rails if connectivity is a problem.

SWEX / ATX plug is only for switching on the ATX PSU. You'll need the 6-pin to fully power the GPU. You can always hack 6-pins onto the 12v rails if connectivity is a problem.

I'm not talking about the ATX plug from bplus, but the picopower adapter that would go into the ATX port on the PE4H v3.2. This picoPSU-160-XT, 160watt (200watt peak) , 12V input DC-DC ATX Power Supply\

It seems that the enclosure has 6-pin cables coming out of the 24-pin ATX port that is used to power the PE4H v3.2. In any case, I'm awaiting email reply from bplus.

edit: just got a reply from Roger. He thinks it will work. Awesome!

I guess I'll be a guinea pig for this

I don't understand what a picopsu is, is it that small board on which the psu is placed?

Or is it something like convertor to connect a notebook adapter?

It's a tiny DC-DC power supply. So I would go from AC adapter -> picoPSU -> PE4H

So would it simply be a case of hacking off the molex/SATA/P4 connectors and replacing them with a floppy molex for the board and two 6-pin PCI-E connectors for the GPU? (Obviously after having prodded it with a multimeter to make sure that the relevant wires will supply the necessary power.)

I actually spotted a shop selling the full range of pico PSUs on eBay and considered buying one as I'm currently using a spare ATX PSU with the whole setup in a cardboard box and I feel like putting together a proper enclosure. I was actually going to go for an Xbox PSU just because it's a tried and tested option but this would be preferable size-wise if it works.

EDIT: Here's the one I was looking at - it already has a floppy molex so that's one less hack job to worry about!

200W DC-DC 12v Mini Power Supply PW-200V Mini ITX PSU | eBay

So would it simply be a case of hacking off the molex/SATA/P4 connectors and replacing them with a floppy molex for the board and two 6-pin PCI-E connectors for the GPU? (Obviously after having prodded it with a multimeter to make sure that the relevant wires will supply the necessary power.)

I actually spotted a shop selling the full range of pico PSUs on eBay and considered buying one as I'm currently using a spare ATX PSU with the whole setup in a cardboard box and I feel like putting together a proper enclosure. I was actually going to go for an Xbox PSU just because it's a tried and tested option but this would be preferable size-wise if it works.

EDIT: Here's the one I was looking at - it already has a floppy molex so that's one less hack job to worry about!

200W DC-DC 12v Mini Power Supply PW-200V Mini ITX PSU | eBay

The nice thing about the PE4H v3.2 is that you just need the 24-pin ATX. The enclosure has 6-pin power cables running from the 24-pin ATX port.

If you're using something like the PE4L, then you could just skip the power supply and use the AC adapter alone with the included P4 adapter, and then jerry rig some cabling together. Kallogan actually did that here: DIY eGPU experiences - Page 848

I'm using the PE4L 2.1b, I couldn't quite stretch to the PE4H 3.2 plus I wanted to build my own enclosure. Kallogen's post was very enlightening - it hadn't even occurred to me to skip the PSU completely and just use the AC adapter!

The nice thing about the PE4H v3.2 is that you just need the 24-pin ATX. The enclosure has 6-pin power cables running from the 24-pin ATX port.

If you're using something like the PE4L, then you could just skip the power supply and use the AC adapter alone with the included P4 adapter, and then jerry rig some cabling together. Kallogan actually did that here: DIY eGPU experiences - Page 848

What about the SWEX connector? Is that not required for the setup?

I only ask because I don't see a plug for it in his pictures. Is this PSU any better than the 210 Xbox?

I too like the PE4H 3.2 but have two issues with it.

1. Non detachable cable

2. Two PSU needed.

Kallogan's setup skips the PSU completely, leaving just the AC adapter which is presumably on whenever it is connected to the mains, therefore no need for the SWEX connector. You can get AC adapters designed for pico PSUs rated up to 200w so there shouldn't be much in it between it and an Xbox PSU, other than the price. (In the UK an Xbox PSU can be had for >£20, a 200w pico PSU AC adapter is more in the region of £60. I'd imagine the translation to dollars is roughly the same.) The main difference is the complexity of the wiring, basically +ve and ground on the pico AC adapter and 10 individual wires coming out of the Xbox PSU.

1. Looks like all the current-generation adapters originating from HWTools are using non-detachable cables. I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to go more legit after the problem with the TH05. HDMI isn't specced to carry PCI-E signals and it's incredibly expensive to license, so using a non-detachable cable circumvents that issue.

2. I don't know the details of the wiring in the enclosure but I would imagine it would be possible to power the whole thing from one PSU with some creative wiring.

Anyone with a Lenovo laptop, can you give a step by step of how do you consistently get your eGPU to work? I installed mine a few weeks ago without issue but haven't used it in a while and now it does not work. I changed my memory so that it's only 2x4GB SODIMMs (since there seems to be an issue with 16GB).

What I do: I plug my ExpressCard in and power up my eGPU before booting my laptop up. In the BIOS, it's configured for iGPU only but with nVidia Optimus detection. When Win 8 loads, device manager detects my GTX 650 Ti but when I click on nVidia control panel, I get an error saying no display attached to nVidia GPU (only have internal screen). It does not switch to my nVidia GPU when I'm playing games. I have also tried pressing F8 when windows loads up (but I can't get it to do anything), then powering on the eGPU via the ATX switch, without any success either. Drivers are up to date with the latest ones from nVidia's website.

I've had similar issues on my x220t (i7-2620m, 8gb ram, Windows 8 pro 64 bit UEFI) with my GTX 460. It worked totally fine when I had Windows 7 but since upgrading to Win 8 it's not worked. The weird thing is that I've got Win 8 installed on a new SSD, and when I put the old hard drive which has got a Win 7 install which was previously working with the eGPU it still doesn't work. I've downgraded the BIOS which didn't help then reflashed the latest UEFI/BIOS too, it's still not working. Do you use BIOS or UEFI?

You say your eGPU is detected by device manager, but with what combination of switches? In all BIOS and Windows combinations the eGPU isn't detected unless I force detection by putting SW1 into position 2 (x2-x16 PCIe mode), and SW2 doesn't make any difference. Then I get it detected in device manager and can install drivers but have the same message of you of no display attached to an NVidia GPU, either on the internal or external screen. In Win 7 I get error 12 and in Win 8 I get 'no drivers are installed for this device' even after a successful driver install, then manually selected one doesn't work. I think I'm right in saying this indicates a TOLUD issue? I've not got any spare RAM sticks to test with <4gb, but as I say it was all working fine before.

Is this a problem common to Lenovos on Win 8? Has anyone got a Lenovo running Windows 8 working with an eGPU?

Update

it's now working fine, not sure what I did differently unfortunately

Hello everyone,

My main question at the moment has to do with the different versions of the PE4H. This has already been discussed to some extent, but despite my few days of searching I cannot seem to find a strait answer to the following question: is there an actual speed difference between the PE4H 2.4 and 3.2 versions?

Wow! Thank you for your help! Thank you so much!

All jokes aside I sent an email to the manufacturer and the response was the following:

Dear jrprj,

Good day.

PE4H V2.4(PE4H-XX060A) also can support PCIe Gen2.

(If cable is detachable type, it only can support PCIe Gen1)

Actually, V3.2 and V2.4(PE4H-XX060A type) almost same.

The different is V3.2 design for aluminum Box.

Best Regards,

Roger

Awesome. So the only difference between 2.4 and 3.2 is the form factor, so long as you order the ec060a. Informative, no?

Wow! Thank you for your help! Thank you so much!

All jokes aside I sent an email to the manufacturer and the response was the following:...

It does say that it supports PCI Gen2 on the website does it not? Anyway water under the bridge!

Further to the discussion about power supplies I've been having more thoughts. I'm still moving towards the Xbox PSU route purely because it's a third of the price of the pico PSU adapter.

From this diagram:

xbox203w.jpg

And Elmopol's description of the wires coming form the PSU, viz:

-One red +5VSB

-One Blue POWER_ENABLE

-Three thick yellow +12V

-Three thick black GROUND

-One thin yellow +12V

-One thin black GROUND

(original post here: DIY eGPU experiences - Page 1073)

I have constructed this diagram:

QTUOZ4r.jpg

The idea being to bridge the +ve and ground wires to enable the use of a tough 4-pin connector such as this:

42245287.jpg

(ignore the 5th pin in the photo!)

The question is whether this would work with all the wires bridged, or whether something would burst into flames. Does anyone have any opinions?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.