eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

So my BIOS made me lie. Turns out that "Max TOLUD" selector in my BIOS doesn't do anything.

I tried setting it to 2.5 GB, 2.75 GB, 3.5 GB, and Dynamic. None of these settings change my PCI Bus value in my Win7 Device Manager: it read BFA00000 regardless of what I set in the BIOS.

That kinda disappointing. When you set to dynamic, did you try cold boot with eGPU connected? If yes & still got code 12, then the setting really doesn't do anything. Is this modded BIOS? If yes, then I can understand why it doesn't work.

Finally up and running, all thanks to Nando and his patience and seemingly endless knowledge with eGPU and PCI compaction errors.

Here's what GPU-Z reports:

post-8815-14494994179015_thumb.png

I have a very slow internet connection here, as I'm downloading the 3DMark and RE5 benchmark tools. I will post my results tonight when the installers have finished. Otherwise I am heading out for the day...

Thank you all (Khenglish, Nando, and kizwan for your FAQ and tutorials) for your help with this.

Now I just have to work out with HIT how to get the PM060a board and cable for Gen2 support so that I can get Opt1.2 support.

So after reading many threads relating to Nando's ban and poor experience relating to the Lenovo X230 I'm a little bit concerned that I've made a poor purchase decision.

I own the Lenovo X230 Tablet (X230t)

I have the I7 3570M 2.9

16gb ram

and sadly the HD4000

Currently on all Low settings I get a minimum frame rate of 7fps in BF3 and a maximum of 70fps

I need to of cause increase that minimum up to around 30fps so it becomes consistently playable and this is where my need for an eGPU comes into play. I'm not loaded with cash by any stretch of the imagination so what I need is to find out what the most cost effective method to achieve this will be. Also, a while back I noted that there was still no fix for the 16bg of ram issue and I would prefer to use all the ram that I purchased if possible, so if anyone knows of a new release that has fixed this issue I'm all ears.

Please if someone is able to advise me on the parts I would need to purchase (possible links would be super amazing) so that I can achieve my required goals, I would be most grateful.

n.b. I only recently began to question some other technical dramas with my Lenovo on the NBR forum with no responses.. so their evidential bias would likely be the reason for this.. perhaps I will get better luck on this forum with some answers..

Do you really need all that 16GB of RAM? If not, why not bring it down to 8GB? You could even off load that and use the money you make on a PE4L kit.

I ask because unless you expect to be doing a lot of CAD or video editing (which I doubt on a 12-inch tablet) you don't need 16GB. As a software dev, even I don't max out on my 8GB in my laptop (though my primary work desktop with 32GB often maxes, due to virtual machines and such).

A PE4L-EC2C from HIT should be the parts you are looking for. Then of course you will need a GPU (GTX 560 Ti is very popular), and a PSU to power it (should have at least enough amps on the 12V rail). And then some sort of enclosure to keep everything from spilling out everywhere. In my case, a shoebox is my temporary case until I can get my hands on a dead Shuttle PC case.

At this time of writing, PE4L allows 1.2Opt whereas PE4H allows only 1.1Opt. The performance difference can be "staggering" or "meh", depending on the application. As a result, you may want to consider the PE4L for its improved performance. ** Now keep in mind that there has been a recent discovery that you can use PE4H boards and still get Gen2 support for full 1.2Opt speeds, but this hasn't been fully confirmed or tested.** I am working with HIT to try and get a PM060a (hopefully longer cable) to pair with my PE4H. I'm currently having trouble with my eGPU setup, but I hope to have things resolved soon enough.

Thanks for the information, that's really helpful stuff, some of it goes over my head but most of it I do understand. i'm not sure what the 1.20pt and 1.10pt refer to but I think it looks like for me, I should prioritise towards the 1.20pt PE4L-EC2C (HIT is the brand I take it)

HAHA shoebox sounds like an enclosure at the right price for my budget too ^ ^

I use my tablet for Video Editing, Cad / 3D Modelling and Sculpting and Graphic Design work. The gaming is just the icing on the cake that I'd like to have available. That's why the extra ram would come in handy for me. I prefer the tablet interface and portability to a desktop alternative.

I wonder if my HP TM2T can handle over 8gb of ram, and if the ram in my x230 is compatible with it, i might be able to put one of my 8gb dimms into it to boost it to 12gb

I want to order the PE4H-EC060A package from hwtools.net. However whenever I click "Buy" it just takes me to the PayPal site, but doesn't add it to my cart. Other items add to the cart just fine. I emailed their web contact, but haven't heard anything back and issue still persists. Does anyone have regular contact with them that can help get this fixed? I want to order the new "Gen 2" package for my HP 6475b. Thanks.

I've been having this weird issue the past day where my Setup 1.x seems to be hanging up on me. For example, if I boot up Setup 1.x in DOS mode the cursor will blink, but after typing a few letters into the prompt my keyboard stops responding; I cannot type anything past a few letters and I need to reboot.

Tech Inferno Fan >> problem has been reported and daver160 gave permission to delete this message, but figured I should just shorten it.

From http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2785-overclocking-lenovo-x230t-hd4000.html#post38060 . A reply that may be important for our other readers:

It blows that they soldered the processors to the board. I guess I will just have to work with what I currently have. I'd love to have bought one of the fujitsu's but they were 2000 dollars more than what I picked up my x230 for and at the time I had no idea lenovo solder their cpu into the boards.

I'm only aware of the T901 tablet as having a socketted CPU. Supposedly, the newer Ivy Bridge T902 doesn't have it anymore.

Seek a refund from NBR for lack of disclosure?

If you were guided by NBR for your purchase then maybe you could ask them for a refund since you now have evidence from my NBR ban of them deliberately hiding that information from users? Disclosure of their primary sponsors would be helpful too. Based on their recommendations in the What Notebook Should I Buy area? (WNSIB) it looks like Lenovo is first and Dell are the second highest paying sponsors. It explains too why NBR don't have comparison charts of systems but rather place a moderator and other gophers in the WNSIB area whose intention is to steer users to their sponsors machines. I wonder what kickbacks they get? A Sandy Bridge comparison table was made for eGPU users.

Smallest i7 quad-capable eGPU systems

For eGPU purposes, the smallest-most powerful quad-capable systems are 13" Sony SVZ (mPCIe), 12.5" HP 2570P/2560P (EX), 13" Fujitsu T901 (EX), 14" Lenovo S430 (TBT) and 15" MBP (TBT). The SVZ and 2570P are RAID-0 capable too.

Then the soldered dual-core CPU systems: 12" Lenovo X230 or Dell E6230 (EX), 13" MBP (TBT), 14" Lenovo i7 T430s (TBT).

Given the huge recent uptake in tablets recently (Android/IOS), you'd think there would be interest from the notebook ppl to show what all-in-one unit can do. Sure, these systems are larger than a Android/IOS tablet but still small enough to kick around, yet powerful enough (when attached to an eGPU) to function as a desktop replacement. The 2560P particularly a bargain for the penny pinchers.

Unfortunately we see that there are vested interest groups that want to maintain the three different markets: Android/IOS tablets, notebooks and desktops. Intel have also been locking down features to control markets. Eg: it's harder to overclock notebooks to get free performance, we can't do x2/x4 DIY eGPU implementations anymore, they gave us 10Gbps Thunderbolt down a 20Gbps-capable link. There's talk too of their future desktop systems having BGA soldered CPUs.

I assume too that Intel screwed us by being responsible in the background for the TH05 recall.

Well, I had finally gotten my eGPU adapter from HIT... Unfortunately they sent me the completely wrong model and also seemingly forgot my mPCIe card that I also ordered along side it. I sent an email hoping for a reply, but has this ever happened to anyone else?

Other than that, I was going to use an Xbox 360 power brick for my GPU and hooking it up to a button on an enclosure I plan on making. Would a switch work as well, or does it have to be a button?

Is this the same thing? I'm not clear what the package comes with and it calls it PE4H v3.2:

PE4H V3.2

I thought 2.4A was Gen 2 compliant, what about 3.2? I'm assuming this comes with the enclosure, power supply, ExpressCard PCIe card/cable, and already has a swex of some sort for switching.

Same thing is on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271135926185

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, but came a long way through NBR and Computerbase forums.

I have a Lenovo T410 with NVS3100M graphics and a PE4H + GTX460 eGPU running. Only Problem is I can't turn off the dGPU, not within the BIOS, nor with Setup 1.x.

What I've done already:

• setup the eGPU with the laptop
  • eGPU works alongside the dGPU with 30% Performance of other GTX460 eGPU setups (3DMark 5300)
  • tried to turn off dGPU with Setup 1.x - result is system hangup every time
  • tried to turn off dGPU within Windows device manager - only iGPU is recocnized when rebooting into Windows, eGPU present but not active in device manager
  • tried to use "dGPU demoted-on" mode, without any performance difference
  • all compact methods won't change anything

So I need your help please.

I got a clue in the computerbase forum, that my system T410 with NVS3100M is popular for making problems with getting eGPU to work, but I really want it to work ;)

Here's a screenshot of my system specifications.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yyxt81ixagktl17/vF8AdlJyUj/t410_systemspecs.jpg

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, but came a long way through NBR and Computerbase forums.

I have a Lenovo T410 with NVS3100M graphics and a PE4H + GTX460 eGPU running. Only Problem is I can't turn off the dGPU, not within the BIOS, nor with Setup 1.x.

What I've done already:

• eGPU works alongside the dGPU with 30% Performance of other GTX460 eGPU setups (3DMark 5300)
  • tried to turn off dGPU within Windows device manager - only iGPU is recocnized when rebooting into Windows, eGPU present but not active in device manager

I got a clue in the computerbase forum, that my system T410 with NVS3100M is popular for making problems with getting eGPU to work, but I really want it to work ;)

Your T410 is the model without the iGPU active so you cannot deactivate the primary video device, the NVS3100M dGPU. Means x1.Opt (Optimus compression) doesn't activate on your eGPU so you only get 3dmark06 < 6k.

I believe there were some later T410 models that did have Intel HD + NVS3100M in an Optimus configuration. Those models would allow the dGPU to be used. So really there are three options for better performance:

1. See if x2 is possible on your system. That means combining expresscard+mPCIe or mPCIe+mPCIe. You need to have those devices as being [port1+2], [port3+4], [port5+6] or [port7+8]. x2 mode requires additional eGPU hardware and would require a less convenience 2 cable configuration via underside panels.

2. Swap your systemboard out for one with the iGPU or iGPU+NVS3100M model.

3. Use an ATI HD7xxx video card instead. It will outperform a NVidia card in lower bandwidth scenarios. Note: older chipsets show only half-duplex performance with AMD cards. Not sure if yours is or isn't affected.

4. [recommended] offload the T410 for a Sandy/Ivy Bridge system with an iGPU + expresscard. Then you can get Optimus pci-e compression AND doubling of bandwidth due to the expresscard being pci-e 2.0. You will need the EC060A cable to get reliable pci-e data transmission. See PE4H (PCIe passive adapter ver2.4) . Budget systems being a Lenovo E420/E520, Dell Vostro 3450/3550, HP Probook 4530s/6560b. A s/h 12.5" HP 2560P offering a great mix of portability and performance potential (socketted/upgradeable CPU) at a low price.

Long time reader, first time poster. I've been considering putting together an eGPU for a while and finally decided after recieving a new T430 to add an eGPU to it. My system specs consist of:

• Processor
    Intel Core i5-3210M Processor

• Operating System
    Windows 8 Professional (64 bit)

• Display Type
    14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready

• System Graphics
    NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1GB DDR3 Memory

• Total Memory
    4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)

For my eGPU I have ordered a PE4L Adapater, a GTX660 2GB card and a 500w corsair power supply. I am mainly interested in running Counter-Strike Global offensive, right now i run at about 70fps. After reading through many experiences on these forums and notebookreview I have a good understanding of how it works. My questions are, should i have gotten the PE4H adapter instead? Will I be able to run at 1.1opt speeds since I have optimus technology even tho my processor is a 5 series? Are there any issues that come by default when adding an eGPU to this type of system? If I'm missing any components please let me know. Everything arrives tommorow and I'd like to know if I have everything to complete this project. Thanks for all the help and insight.

Regards,

CPL

Hey Nando,

Great to see that the eGPU community is still going strong and growing healthily. I used to follow the DIY eGPU scene since october of 2011 and held out as long as possible for economical TB solutions but finally caved in and got a lenovo W520, which is a rock solid machine itself, although due to the overpowered components in a cramped chassis with poor cooling, its kind of hard to harness the full power of the dGPU and CPU simultaneously.

I do fully intend to set up my own diy egpu implementation and the w520 seems to handle that just fine, but I wanted to ask if there is any way to utilize the bandwitdth of the DisplayPort in certain laptops?

From wikipedia its bitrate specs are : 1.62, 2.7, or 5.4 Gbit/s data rate per lane; 1, 2, or 4 lanes; (effective total 5.184, 8.64, or 17.28 Gbit/s for 4-lane link); 1 Mbit/s or 720 Mbit/s for the auxiliary channel.

Since displayport, as rare as it still is, is still far more commonly found than TB, is there some way that the egpu setups can use this somehow?

I wish to apologize in advance if my theory sounds idiotic or ill thought out, and at the same time thank you immensely for being so patient and helpful. :)

What I've done already:

Hi Maik and all others. I've been reading the forum for quite a while and now I decided to register :) I have exactly the same 2522KDG model of T410 with NVS3100M. I already bought GTX550Ti and almost finished building my own eGPU enclouse. I'm in the middle of placing an order of PE4H. I'm planning to do a x2 setup with either ExpressCard + mPCIe or mPCIe + mPCIe. I found on the web the schematics datasheets of T410, accoring to which it would be possible to sacrifise wifi/wlan connectivity altogether for x2 setup. But still I wasn't expecting that even x1 setup would be so low performace. Why need to disable iGPU, would it in theoty increase the performance?

But still I wasn't expecting that even x1 setup would be so low performace. Why need to disable iGPU, would it in theoty increase the performance?

Yes, it would if you plan on connecting just one m-pcie/expresscard. See here: with Nvidia graphics enabled you're on x1.1, while by disabling it you would be able to achieve x1.1Opt. And you could play on your notebook's lcd, although with a lower framerate.

x1.2 and x1.2Opt aren't available on pre-sandy bridge notebooks, although by connecting two m-pcie/expresscard you'd get similar performance to x1.2.

Why need to disable iGPU, would it in theoty increase the performance?

You won't disable the iGPU, but the dGPU (NVS3100M) because this card uses the ressources needed for your eGPU setup to have enough performance.

As I said, it works, but with only 30% of the performance of the iGPU + eGPU in x1.1Opt mode.

1. See if x2 is possible on your system. That means combining expresscard+mPCIe or mPCIe+mPCIe. You need to have those devices as being [port1+2], [port3+4], [port5+6] or [port7+8]. x2 mode requires additional eGPU hardware and would require a less convenience 2 cable configuration via underside panels.

2. Swap your systemboard out for one with the iGPU or iGPU+NVS3100M model.

3. Use an ATI HD7xxx video card instead. It will outperform a NVidia card in lower bandwidth scenarios. Note: older chipsets show only half-duplex performance with AMD cards. Not sure if yours is or isn't affected.

4. [recommended] offload the T410 for a Sandy/Ivy Bridge system with an iGPU + expresscard. Then you can get Optimus pci-e compression AND doubling of bandwidth due to the expresscard being pci-e 2.0. You will need the EC060A cable to get reliable pci-e data transmission. See PE4H (PCIe passive adapter ver2.4) . Budget systems being a Lenovo E420/E520, Dell Vostro 3450/3550, HP Probook 4530s/6560b. A s/h 12.5" HP 2560P offering a great mix of portability and performance potential (socketted/upgradeable CPU) at a low price.

Thanks for answering!

1) would mean getting another PM3N and cable.. no time and money for that.

2) would have to swap it myself, additional costs and my warranty would expire - nope

3) also no, because I use for rendering with the CUDA Kernels only present in NVIDIA cards

4) I tried swapping my T410 in the marketplace in the german thinkpad forum and my account nearly got deleted. :uncomfortableness: So no sympathy there...

So I am at the start again. Maybe I wait for a PM3N adaptor available through ebay, or could I get one in this forum?

Hey Nando,

Great to see that the eGPU community is still going strong and growing healthily. I used to follow the DIY eGPU scene since october of 2011 and held out as long as possible for economical TB solutions but finally caved in and got a lenovo W520, which is a rock solid machine itself, although due to the overpowered components in a cramped chassis with poor cooling, its kind of hard to harness the full power of the dGPU and CPU simultaneously.

I do fully intend to set up my own diy egpu implementation and the w520 seems to handle that just fine, but I wanted to ask if there is any way to utilize the bandwitdth of the DisplayPort in certain laptops?

From wikipedia its bitrate specs are : 1.62, 2.7, or 5.4 Gbit/s data rate per lane; 1, 2, or 4 lanes; (effective total 5.184, 8.64, or 17.28 Gbit/s for 4-lane link); 1 Mbit/s or 720 Mbit/s for the auxiliary channel.

Since displayport, as rare as it still is, is still far more commonly found than TB, is there some way that the egpu setups can use this somehow?

I wish to apologize in advance if my theory sounds idiotic or ill thought out, and at the same time thank you immensely for being so patient and helpful.

To be honest, I think for now it would be a "no". And people, please correct me if I'm wrong.

DisplayPort and Thunderbolt may share the same connector (TB uses mDP), but what they do are completely different.

DisplayPort can transmit video and audio signals, but so far that's about it. Thunderbolt, on the other hand, transmits anything you want provided that somebody's built a solution for it. In a sense, think of Thunderbolt as just like USB: if somebody's built a solution for it, then it can do it. So DisplayPort is limited to 2 kinds of data whereas Thunderbolt is as versatile as manufacturers/developers make it.

Recieved all my parts today. However when I was installing I attached power from my psu to my gfx card and the pe4l connector seperately, i think it fried both the pe4l and my graphics card because now i cant get the graphics card to power on o the pe4l LEDs to light except for LED d2. Anyone have any experience with this? Would it be best to send the card and board back fr new ones? or is there something else i can do?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.