eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

I remember this issue a year ago. I think it's from the mini-HDMI cable itself. Try this cable:

Gold Plated 1080P HDMI Mini V1.3 M-M Connection Cable - Black (1.5M-Length) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

I tried this cable and it seems that it solved many issues, but I wouldn't hesitate buying it yet. If there is no way to solve your problem, buy the cable.

I'm using the PE4L which was the soldered on HDMI cable, not the PE4H that has the detachable cable.

post-5684-14494994001689_thumb.jpg

[EDIT]

Maybe figuring out how I setup the PE4L would maybe help...I've tried searching on how others have done it...but still not sure.

So I have my PSU plugged into my GFX card (8-pin and 6-pin)

I have the 24-pin attached to the switch.

There's a 2 pronged header that I assume doesn't get used?

I have the PE4L attached to the GFX card.

On the PE4L there are 2 switches, one for PERST delay, one for PCIE card. What do I set those to?

Also, there's a little jumper on a 2-pronged head; I read somewhere you take that off if connected to a PSU.

Do I need to have the PSU connected to the PE4L via floppy-molex connector?

If somebody had pics, or know of where to find good pics on the full setup of one of these, I'd be totally grateful.

Thanks

[/EDIT]

@Renovatio:

On that same list, you might notice the P8700 has approximately the same scores as the T9400, so it looks like you're basically in my exact same position.

I prefer using passmark's list, PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs, although it might not be as accurate. The cpus we're looking at are the Intel Core2 Duo (Intel Core Extreme x9000 and x9100, supposedly work with the PM45 chipset as well, but passmark rates them as being worse than the T9800 and T9900).

Now to answering your questions:

Was the upgrading really so easy?

Short answer: No.

First, you need to update your BIOS (Asus should have that handy somewhere).

Then comes the manual labor part. That is, in order to get to my cpu, I had to take apart my whole computer, remove the heat sink, remove my P8700 from my laptop, clean the leftover thermal paste from the heat sink (rubbing alcohol should do the trick), put in the new T9800, apply new thermal paste (Arctic Silver is ~$10. Other brands may be cheaper, but I've yet to encounter a single person dissatisfied with that brand.), replace the heat sink (I also had to clean and reapply thermal paste to my graphics card as well, so look out for that), and put back together the computer properly (much harder than it sounds, you'd be surprised how many wires and screws you have to place properly in order to get the whole thing to work).

From there, it's smooth sailing, since your updated BIOS should recognize the card and after initial hesitation (I nearly died of anxiety with that first boot), work properly.

If you're going to upgrade your cpu (which I highly recommend if you're doing a DIY eGPU, seeing as your cpu is so similar to mine), go watch a few guides on youtube ("upgrading laptop cpu" as a search should do the trick) before actually trying it.

Also, you'll need some sort of repair manual for your specific laptop (HP's guide for my laptop was easy to find after googling), to make sure you put everything back together as you found it.

Why did you take the T9800 instead of the top of the line T9900?

That is a very good question. It's a weighing of cost versus benefit.

First, you have to realize that socket P processors that work with the PM45 are not being made any more.

Next, since the T9900 is significantly better than the T9800, it ends up costing much more (my searches on ebay found about a $30 difference between the two).

I also noticed that the T9800 had about the same difference between it and the next tier of cpus (P9600, T9550 and X9000 on passmarks list, on the one you posted P9700, T9600, and X9000); however, the increase in cost was only about $10 (based on my research, your results may differ).

Thus, I felt getting the T9800 was a better bargain per performance increase than the T9900. If you're planning on an eGPU set up and you have the extra $30, go ahead with the T9900. Just remember you also need to buy the eGPU set up which cost me about $500 when all was said and done (don't forget I got the expresscard hdmi expresscard adapter for internal LCD, a fairly high end video card, the PE4H hardware, and PSU, which I plan on using whenever I upgrade my laptop).

In the end, I'd say my answer is the extra performance boost per cost wasn't worth it for me, since I know I'll get a new laptop in a few years and I'm already way over-budget on this project.

Finally, @Tech Inferno Fan, if you can, you should edit your announcement to a T9800 @2.93 instead of the T9900 @3.06. I did note in my post that 3DMark is convinced my cpu is a T9900, instead of the T9800 it actually is (I should know, I installed it).

I finally got my 2x bandwith running, using a PE4H with 2x PM3N adapter and Setup 1.x. The key to success was to install Setup 1.x and force a 2x bandwith onto port1 before chainloading windows 7. I am quite happy with my system´s performance now. Though I know that my old and slow cpu is the bottleneck.

You can see the performance increase (in %) by comparing the different grafic scores from 3DMark Vantage (3DMark 06 depends heavily on bandwith which makes 1x eGPU even worse than internal GPU): GPU = Nvidia 9700M GT vs eGPU = MSI N560GTX-Ti

GPU def = 1790 -> GPU oc = 2050 ==> ~ 15%

GPU def = 1790 -> eGPU 1x = 8876 ==> ~ 396%

GPU def = 1790 -> eGPU 2x = 12363 ==> ~ 590%

GPU oc = 2050 -> eGPU 1x = 8876 ==> ~ 333%

GPU oc = 2050 -> eGPU 2x = 12363 ==> ~ 503%

eGPU 1x = 8876 -> eGPU 2x = 12363 ==> ~ 39%

@spaninq:

Thank you for your thorough answer. As you can see I already made the first step and got my eGPU-Setup running :)

The T9900 stills seems to be very expensive with ~$190 (from trustworthy sellers on ebay). On the other hand the T9800 is about ~$90.

I need to do more research as you advised. Unfortunately ASUS isn´t very nice when it comes down to providing repair manuals, especially my modul seems to be very rare (G71V, G71x is much more common).

Is there a way to find out which processors are support by which BIOS?

I haven´t done any BIOS update so far. Is it difficult or dangerous?

Do I need to have the PSU connected to the PE4L via floppy-molex connector?

Yes. The PE4L needs 12V to power the slot. It gets it from the floppy molex connector.

I finally got my 2x bandwith running, using a PE4H with 2x PM3N adapter and Setup 1.x.

Congratulations :chuncky:. x2 implementations are somewhat rare so good to see another one pop up. Now if you post full system specs and benchmarks like shown on the implementations on the first page I can include you in the list.

@Renovatio - those T9800/T9900 prices seem rather high when you can get a US$140-shipped Aliexpress X9100 E0 edition that can be overclocked up to 4.2Ghz. REF: RickiBerlin's X9100-E0 HDX9000 testing

The X9100-E0 has lower running temps than the X9100 OEM release, so it's the more overclockable (fastest) dual-core CPU available for the Series-4 and 965PM systems. I expect it to retain it's value. Overclocking is done using Throttlestop software unlocking the multipliers.

Hello, i've got a PE4H v 2.4a which is used to connect an Nvidia GTX-560 Ti to a Dell Studio XPS 16 with a x1700 ATI onboard. the connection is with one lane on a x1 mPcie without any problem. The problem appears when i try to connect 2 lanes, i use the program Setup 1.x to switch the MPcie port number 3 to x2, port number 4 is used to connect the second lane by express card.

post-7814-14494994014745_thumb.png

post-7814-14494994014924_thumb.png

When i start Windows everything is fine, while i use the integrated graphic card, fine ... i can see on AIDA64 that my Nvidia is recognized as x2 peripheral. When i switch to the nvidia, black screen ... BSOD.

Does anyone has an Idea where i should looking for to resolve this issue ?

Hello, i've got a PE4H v 2.4a which is used to connect an Nvidia GTX-560 Ti to a Dell Studio XPS 16 with a x1700 ATI onboard. the connection is with one lane on a x1 mPcie without any problem. The problem appears when i try to connect 2 lanes, i use the program Setup 1.x to switch the MPcie port number 3 to x2, port number 4 is used to connect the second lane by express card.

When i start Windows everything is fine, while i use the integrated graphic card, fine ... i can see on AIDA64 that my Nvidia is recognized as x2 peripheral. When i switch to the nvidia, black screen ... BSOD.

Does anyone has an Idea where i should looking for to resolve this issue ?

In PCIe ports, you have a Hot reset port and a Retrain link option. Try each one after you've manually set x2 mode. Likely you need the Link retrain option. Contrary to the help text, it doesn't automatically retrain the link after setting x2 mode. Help text is to be corrected in next version.

In PCIe ports, you have a Hot reset port and a Retrain link option. Try each one after you've manually set x2 mode. Likely you need the Link retrain option. Contrary to the help text, it doesn't automatically retrain the link after setting x2 mode. Help text is to be corrected in next version.

OK Thanks, i will try this this afternoon.

Hey guys have a question. Will a 203w Xbox PSU run a 7950? According to this the max power the card I've set my sights on draws is 188w but I'm a bit new to the way PSUs handle power draw so I have no idea whether it'll work properly. Any thoughts?

If anyone has the link to the guide for making the Xbox PSU smaller could you give it to me? I can't seem to find it anymore...

So, it tried both, and the problem is different now ... after Retrain, Windows does not recognize the eGpu ... I don't really understand why, because AIDA64 and GPU-Z they recognize it. So i restarted Windows, and after that the eGpu is recognized. But the problem still happening when i switch between the iGpu (ATI) and the eGpu (NVIDIA).

Is there a way to find out which processors are support by which BIOS?

Not that I'm aware of, which is why your BIOS needs to be updated (if it's not the latest version) before you put the new processor in.

I haven´t done any BIOS update so far. Is it difficult or dangerous?

For me, it was simply running an .exe downloaded from HP's website. So long as you get the BIOS from your laptop manufacturer's website, it shouldn't be dangerous.

If you try ASUS G71V's site and put in your OS (scroll down on the page, under the download tab), you'll see a BIOS option. Download, run the latest BIOS option, and you're home free.

Good luck finding a repair manual, although I did find this video in my preliminary search. Maybe that'll help? (although I personally wouldn't use a drill to unscrew my laptop screws)

Alright, still having issues with my setup.

When I have the PE4L plugged into power, the LED's (Power, Detect, PERST) will be on, but once I attach it to the GFX card, those LED's turn off, and the EVGA light on my card turns on.

I have it set to SW1 - 3 - 6.9s, SW2 - 2-3, as that seems to be what it should be; I've tried switching them and rebooting, F5'ing in Setup 1.1, a whole whack of different combos, and still no dice.

I know the expresscard slot works because when I plug devices into the USB slot on the PE4L, my computer detects them fine. It can't be the graphics card either because I recently tested it in a desktop and it worked fine...bogus PE4L?

Alright, still having issues with my setup.

When I have the PE4L plugged into power, the LED's (Power, Detect, PERST) will be on, but once I attach it to the GFX card, those LED's turn off, and the EVGA light on my card turns on.

I have it set to SW1 - 3 - 6.9s, SW2 - 2-3, as that seems to be what it should be; I've tried switching them and rebooting, F5'ing in Setup 1.1, a whole whack of different combos, and still no dice.

I know the expresscard slot works because when I plug devices into the USB slot on the PE4L, my computer detects them fine. It can't be the graphics card either because I recently tested it in a desktop and it worked fine...bogus PE4L?

I don't know if it is okay with you, but If I were in you shoes, I would buy PE4H, because it uses full 16x PCI bus, which means it fully utilize GPU's capabilities.

I don't know if it is okay with you, but If I were in you shoes, I would buy PE4H, because it uses full 16x PCI bus, which means it fully utilize GPU's capabilities.

No it doesn't?

From my understanding a PE4L is what allows 1.2 Optimus, whereas a PE4H does not (not yet anyways), so you get better results from a PE4L if your notebook will support it, which mine does...

-> PE4H vs PE4L

• Thumbs Up 1

So hello guys! Got really interested in making a setup for my laptop, currently I have this.

HP DV6-7084la

post-7876-14494994017017_thumb.jpg

As you can see the Express Card slot is at the left side.

Now I'm not really sure what to buy at all, I've been reading a lot and I want to try this:

- PE4L-EC060A Package

- DYI BOX

- MSI Video NVIDIA GeForce GTX550 Ti 1024MB GDDR5 Cyclone II (Also, what's my limit? Can I get a GTX670/680?)

- 450W ATX PSU

What do you guys think?

Any information will be appreciated! Thank you! :P

Based on spec that you have, this laptop doesn't have expresscard slot. I think you made a mistake with multi card reader. Expresscard slots have probook series,elitebook and so on. Every newer laptop doesn't have expresscard anymore,except some Dell models.

+1 Frula's comments. If you have a dv6-7084la then it has no expresscard slot. Only way you can attach an eGPU is using a mPCIe wifi slot. For that you'd need a PE4L-PM060A 2.1b. A GTX460-1MB is significantly faster than a GTX550Ti so it's a good one to get s/h. Otherwise a GTX560Ti or GTX660Ti. You'll also probably need Setup 1.1x software to disable the DV6's GT650M so can get the faster x1.2Opt performance. Recommend then you purchase your gear via Harmonic Inversion (HIT) to get the software bundled with your hardware. Only I'm not sure if they keep the PE4L-PM060A 2.1b.

Oh... Damn, I tought it was a ExpressCard slot. I expected to not open my laptop but whatever... Then I'll need the PM060A version, now some last questions and I think I'll be ready.

This software doesn't comes bundled if I buy from HWTOOLS? Because PM060A package is not at HIT.

Standalone software from HIT is digital download? (To avoid taxes)

So I get better perfomance by disabling the GT650M instead of doing an optimus config?

So the GTX660Ti is my limit? Or a higher end videocard will also work? I expect to try a GTX680/690.

With this I will still get a x2 bandwith setup?

Thanks a lot for answering guys! :D

@Tech Inferno Fan: Nice to find your NEW 2.0 version of this great thread. I am new to techinferno.com and you are the reason for joining. - For the moment I have no questions, but I just want to say: If I search at "the other forum", I always find a lot references to your invaluable work and many helpful, experienced commentaries. Thank you so much! - Then I see your user name marked in red. - It's a shame and embarrassing. I hope all users will find you at this forum. It is YOUR work and YOUR Intellectual Property*, no "forum rules" and personal friction can change that! (* e.g. What is Intellectual Property? ) - Nando 4 Eva! - That's my opinion, I am no lawyer. BTW: Good luck for your thunderbold experiments!

My eGPU experiences are: I use an Acer 5920G with a PE4H connected to a GTX560 and 2x link (1x express card slot, 1x miniPCI slot) as described at your thread. Just to mention for other users: I had some problems with a damaged HDMI cable, but now: Everything works fine! I could also establish a working single link using a SAMSUNG R60 notebook with the eGPU. EDIT: Added a picture of the SAMSUNG R60 with a connected PE4H (single link via expresscard slot, external VGA output):

pe4hatsamsungr60.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh... Damn, I tought it was a ExpressCard slot. I expected to not open my laptop but whatever... Then I'll need the PM060A version, now some last questions and I think I'll be ready.

This software doesn't comes bundled if I buy from HWTOOLS? Because PM060A package is not at HIT.

Standalone software from HIT is digital download? (To avoid taxes)

So I get better perfomance by disabling the GT650M instead of doing an optimus config?

So the GTX660Ti is my limit? Or a higher end videocard will also work? I expect to try a GTX680/690.

With this I will still get a x2 bandwith setup?

Thanks a lot for answering guys! :D

In order to get x1.2Opt (Optimus) (x1 2.0 + pci-e compression) functionality on the eGPU instead of the GT650M dGPU, the NVidia dGPU needs to be disabled. Use Setup 1.1x to do that. You can go higher than a GTX660Ti, like a GTX670/680 but will need to ensure an adequate power supply to drive it. Avoid twin-GPU cards like a GTX690 since so far no one has got it to work and it requires more resources to accomodate it. A PE4L-PMxxxA 2.1b is the only solution available to you since you have no expresscard slot.

Okay, got it. Thanks a lot nando! Nice work you've done.

Now going to buy all the stuff and wait for them to arrive, getting the GTX 680.

As soon as I have everything I'll make a video to show how it works! :P

EDIT: Got a little problem... I actually don't have a PSU for the GTX 680, it says it requires 2 PCI-E 6 pin connector with 12V@38A. Does this means I need 2x 12V@38A connectors? Or split in 19A?

The idea is to get a PSU from here: https://www.pcfactory.cl/?papa=326&categoria=54

@Tech Inferno Fan:

Congratulations :chuncky:. x2 implementations are somewhat rare so good to see another one pop up. Now if you post full system specs and benchmarks like shown on the implementations on the first page I can include you in the list.

Did you see my post http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-37.html#post33705 ?

Regarding the PE4L 2.1b (PCIe 2.0!): Is there a possibility to use it with a PM3N? It seems to me that the cabel on the PE4L is welded not only onto the PE4L itself but also onto the EC2C, or is it not? I can´t find a version with an PM3N as it seems to be replaced with a fixed minicard connector. (PE4L V2.1 ( PCIe Adapter ))

@Tech Inferno Fan:

Did you see my post http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-37.html#post33705 ?

Regarding the PE4L 2.1b (PCIe 2.0!): Is there a possibility to use it with a PM3N? It seems to me that the cabel on the PE4L is welded not only onto the PE4L itself but also onto the EC2C, or is it not? I can´t find a version with an PM3N as it seems to be replaced with a fixed minicard connector. (PE4L V2.1 ( PCIe Adapter ))

You are correct, both ends of the cable are soldered onto the PCB's, so when you buy the PE4L, you have to know whether you want the expresscard, mpcie, or PCIE1x at the end.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.