eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advices. One week ago, I received information about such a capability in solving my problems. Of course, I noted almost everything about eGPU at this forum, but not completely sure in feasibility of this configuration:

Toshiba satelite a300. intel core 2 duo T6400 2GHz, 4Gb RAM DDR2 800 Mhz, ATI mobility radeon hd3650

Thinking about to buy:

PE4L, GF Gigabyte 660ti or GF gtx MSI 670, Thermaltake TR2 630w

Here is question. What kind of problems can be there? Any advices about configuration?

First download the latest verde (mobile) driver from Nvidia website and follow the instructions on this page:

DIY eGPU experiences - Page 123

Instructions on that page highlight that recent Desktop drivers include the Optimus component. Meaning, no need to download the Verde driver and apply mods.

Is it possible to use a eGPU with a Dell Notebook like the E6410, E6510, M4500 with already bulit in Nvidia GPU? This notebook don't support Optimus, and i don't know if its possible to use the Intel HD GMA CPU. (To disable the bulit in nVidia Card and use the intel GMA instead).

I wan't to buy a used M4500 or E6410 Notebook, but i'm not sure if it will work with the performance tweak for Optimus. And even if it work with the internal Intel GPU. If someone uses that combination it would be nice to get some more information. Awaiting some facts... thanks a lot.

Either of those notebooks has a pci-e 1.x specced expresscard slot. I would recommend going to a M4600 or E6420. Their expresscard slot is pcie 2.0, so is double the speed. Both can run the Optimus tweak. Just be sure to get a pci-e 2.0 capable PE4L 2.1b if going for one of these boxes.

Additionally, I have tried running an MSI ATI 6670 for variable elimination puposes, but I can't get that to detect at all. Not in setup 1.x, not in Win7, no matter what hot plug combos I use. Finally, putting my system on standby, hotplugging the eGPU, and resuming has never got me anywhere. Once again, thank you.

I'm wondering if your expresscard slot is shot. Worth trying your eGPU gear on another Sandy/Ivy Bridge system to see if it all works. While TOLUD might leave a generous amount of pci-e space available, I found some HPs still allocate a system device right in the middle of a candidate contiguous pci-e block. There Setup 1.1x's pci-e compaction ma be able to help to allocate around the problem device.

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advices. One week ago, I received information about such a capability in solving my problems. Of course, I noted almost everything about eGPU at this forum, but not completely sure in feasibility of this configuration:

Toshiba satelite a300. intel core 2 duo T6400 2GHz, 4Gb RAM DDR2 800 Mhz, ATI mobility radeon hd3650

Thinking about to buy:

PE4L, GF Gigabyte 660ti or GF gtx MSI 670, Thermaltake TR2 630w

Here is question. What kind of problems can be there? Any advices about configuration?

You will see some performance improvement but will be bandwidth handicapped. Meaning, so apps will stutter rather badly particularly DX9 ones. If your system had a 4500MHD, HD, HD3000 or HD4000 iGPU then the NVidia driver would activate pci-e compression, netting 20-333% better performance. I'd suggest look at upgrading your system first to at least an inexpensive Sandy Bridge one (Lenovo E520, Dell Vostro 3350 or HP 4530s) which have the required iGPU and have a pci-e 2.0 expresscard slot. Just be sure to mate it to a pci-e 2.0 capable PE4L 2.1b.

Hey @Tech Inferno Fan,

Is it possible to do X2 setup for my GTX 550 TI? cause the gpu doesn't use its full capabilities.

The AMD chipset system I don't think you can do x2. The Edge 14 might be able to, so long as it has mPCIe+expresscard or mPCIe+mPCIe ports being [port1+2], [port3+4], [port5+6] or [port7+8]. I'd recommend upgrading to the a Lenovo E420 before you do that. It has a pci-e 2.0 expresscard slot so effectively provided the same bandwidth as x2 1.0 (x1 2.0).

I'm wondering if your expresscard slot is shot. Worth trying your eGPU gear on another Sandy/Ivy Bridge system to see if it all works. While TOLUD might leave a generous amount of pci-e space available, I found some HPs still allocate a system device right in the middle of a candidate contiguous pci-e block. There Setup 1.1x's pci-e compaction ma be able to help to allocate around the problem device.

I believe it is actually the card. Tried it on a friend's tower, and nothing. Doesn't explain why the radeon wouldn't pick up on my laptop though. I have another friend with a working GTX560ti I want to try just to see, and yet another friend with my exact laptop. (My friends all have cool stuff :D) So there is testing yet to be done. I think I'm just gonna dump the cash and build a tower even if this works though, and let my friend have the adapter...so much headache for so long, and I've got the cash for Black Friday. So...come on Newegg and Fry's, treat me good ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

thunderbird does not supply required power

Indeed, only 10W are provided, but still, even the best MXM boards use up to 100W, just a fraction compared to similar desktop parts.

However, the biggest problem for now seems to be compatibility; MXM boards have too little (see: expensive) market segment to be developed in bulk and according to strict specifications. Only yesterday I received this e-mail from HWtools:

"I got several inquiries about MXM.

However, because there are many issues of MXM in mechanism and compatibility that will take us a lot of time to overcome.

So far we don’t have any plan for developing."

hi guys, i got a problem with my egpu (first time in over a year :/)

This morning while working my computer screen just went black and it looked like the gpu was gonna disengage (my laptopscreen brieflyflickered with the main screen image, but then it stayed black too). No big deal I thought. Now whenever I start and want to chainload the egpu to the OS I get a bluescreen (System Service exeption) after the gpu tries to engage. The laptop itself works fine without trying to use the egpu. Already did another 32bit compaction but i dont think thats the issue. :/

edit; I solved my problem by uninstalling the graphics driver, and installing the newest one from nvidia (306.97). Saying that, there is no hacked inf available for this one, but I read somewhere that Optimus is included now with the desktop drivers? Doesnt look to me like optimus is running and i dont have 3dmark on my computer right now to check if optimus is engaged.

Hey guys, I made an enclosure a la fatpolomanjr, and it works rather well.

Pics:

img4076fi.th.jpg

img6096c.th.jpg

img9206s.th.jpg

Pros: Cheap (I made this out of the box my PSU came in), Easy to modify (but still strong enough to hold everything), and Easy to carry around.

Cons: Looks cheap (duh), probably will not last long (but I figure it ought to last as long as the video card is relevant).

Amusingly, my enclosure is actually more stable upside-down (thanks to wiring constraints and what-not).

I figure it's the perfect enclosure for the average guy in college. I haven't pushed my eGPU to its limits while in the enclosure, but the fans run ~ the same while in and out of the enclosure, so I don't think there ought to be any problems with it. I'll run them tonight, and update.

Also, I'm getting a used t9800 shipped to me, so we'll see how much of a bottleneck my cpu really is. I'll make a new post for that.

Anywho, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Edit: Ran 3DMark11 earlier today and got a 5497 graphics subscore, so it's pretty safe to assume the enclosure doesn't really hamper performance (previous score without enclosure was 5502).

<span "style=font-size:large">Updated: Implementation: i5-3320M 2.6 12.5" Dell E6230 + NVidia GTX660 @x1.2Opt + HD7870 @x1 2.0</span>

Conclusion for Sandy/Ivy Bridge systems with latest GTX6xx/HD7xxx card

<ul>

<li>for expresscard/mPCIe systems capable of x1.2Opt: AMD has overall the better performance but the margin is minor.

<li>for Thunderbolt systems or systems incapable of x1.2Opt: AMD cards > NVidia cards.</ul>

Other factors favoring NVidia cards are CUDA and Optimus' internal LCD mode. Unfortunately AMD's equivalent Enduro is still being developed and doesn't appear to be easy to retrofit to eGPU solutions. Lucidlogix' Virtu has a 30-day trial version providing similar internal LCD rendering functionality to NVidia Optimus.

Updated: Implementation: i5-3320M 2.6 12.5" Dell E6230 + NVidia GTX660 @x1.2Opt + HD7870 @x1 2.0

Conclusion for Sandy/Ivy Bridge systems with latest GTX6xx/HD7xxx card

• for expresscard/mPCIe systems capable of x1.2Opt: AMD has overall the better performance but the margin is minor.
  • for Thunderbolt systems or systems incapable of x1.2Opt: AMD cards > NVidia cards.

Other factors favoring NVidia cards are CUDA and Optimus' internal LCD mode. Unfortunately AMD's equivalent Enduro is still being developed and doesn't appear to be easy to retrofit to eGPU solutions. Lucidlogix' Virtu has a 30-day trial version providing similar internal LCD rendering functionality to NVidia Optimus.

Hey @Tech Inferno Fan,

I was thinking of selling my dell laptop and using its sold money to buy this laptop:

LIFEBOOK AH531 - Fujitsu Technology Solutions

What do you think about it? Is it worth buying it?

nando what about x1.2opt vs x2.2(opt/lucid) on internal screen?

The Dell E6230 has the expresscard slot so maxes out at x1.2Opt / x1.2 . The external tests have all been done here. Internal tests too have been done for x1.2Opt since the Optimus driver allows it.

Lucidlogix Virtu 30-day trialware doesn't work with Series-7 mobile chipsets

x1.2 AMD internal testing is an issue since the latest LucidLogix Virtu 1.2.114 doesn't engage on my i5-3320M Dell E6230. Eg: Running a Virtu approved game/app does say HD78xx series but the performance results match what I get from the HD4000. I get nothing even close to timohour's Internal Screen for ATI GPUs with Virtu Driver performance results.

It seems that version of the software was written for Sandy Bridge systems. There is a LucidLogix Virtu MVP for Mobile systems that was released via Origin (EON) but certainly no trialware download. Meaning the best I'll be able to do for internal AMD HD7870 testing is the Chung-gun/Ultramon method. The jist being starting the app on the monitor attached to the eGPU, putting into windowed mode then dragging it over to the LCD attached to the iGPU and noting the results.

More expresscard vs Thunderbolt benchmarks coming . . .

x1.2Opt vs x2.2 will be coming when I do a comprehensive set of tests on the 2012 13" Macbook + TH05 + GTX660/HD7870. Only issue there is the internal tests will be limited to 1280x800, the native resolution of the system. Unfortunately the only video out port on that Macbook is the Thunderbolt/mDP port and there is no daisy-chainable 2nd Thunderbolt port on the TH05. So I won't be able to do 1280x1024 3dmark06 "internal" testing for example. The significantly pricier Macbook retina has 2 Thunderbolt/mDP ports and even a native HDMI port so isn't nearly as restricted.

Hey @Tech Inferno Fan,

I was thinking of selling my dell laptop and using its sold money to buy this laptop:

LIFEBOOK AH531 - Fujitsu Technology Solutions

What do you think about it? Is it worth buying it?

On the first page you'll find a Fujitsu AH531 implementation. However, that one by Farfavid has a NVidia dGPU which is disabled so as to not have any TOLUD issues. I recall seeing that Fujitsu run a high TOLUD so be prepared to do a DSDT override / DSDT substitution to get around that to run 4GB+ of RAM. That Fujitsu is about the only remaining consumer style notebook with a expresscard slot. Still, I'd suggest grabbing a HP Probook 4530s or Dell Vostro 3350 over a AH531 since either won't have TOLUD issues. The Probook 4530s has a large user following with detailed guides on how to replace the LCD with a FHD one. See HP Probook 4530s screen upgrade 900P, 1080P .

Can i connect my Dell inspiron 17r SE to an external GPU .? Which Ports are needed to get the GPU connected ?

The first post of this thread details how a eGPU can be attached to a system's expresscard slot or if not available, it's mPCIe slot. The latter usually used to host the wifi card.

I solved my problem by uninstalling the graphics driver, and installing the newest one from nvidia (306.97). Saying that, there is no hacked inf available for this one, but I read somewhere that Optimus is included now with the desktop drivers? Doesnt look to me like optimus is running (no icon in the traybar) and i dont have 3dmark on my computer right now to check if optimus is engaged. I obviously can't install any verde drivers without a modded inf since these are for laptops only...

On the first page you'll find a Fujitsu AH531 implementation. However, that one by Farfavid has a NVidia dGPU which is disabled so as to not have any TOLUD issues. I recall seeing that Fujitsu run a high TOLUD so be prepared to do a DSDT override / DSDT substitution to get around that to run 4GB+ of RAM. That Fujitsu is about the only remaining consumer style notebook with a expresscard slot. Still, I'd suggest grabbing a HP Probook 4530s or Dell Vostro 3350 over a AH531 since either won't have TOLUD issues. The Probook 4530s has a large user following with detailed guides on how to replace the LCD with a FHD one. See HP Probook 4530s screen upgrade 900P, 1080P .

The one that I'm buying does not have an dGPU, it only has Intel HD graphics, i3-core, and 4GB of RAM, Besides, I will not use 64-bit Windows 7. I'll simply use 32-bit due to its simplicity, in my opinion.

... So I won't be able to do 1280x1024 3dmark06 "internal" testing for example ...

... even a native HDMI port so isn't nearly as restricted. ...

my Intel HD has several unused VGA connections. maybe you could render offscreen like I did.

the HDMI port is connected to GT 650M so probably won't work while running Optimus with eGPU though.

Saying that, there is no hacked inf available for this one, but I read somewhere that Optimus is included now with the desktop drivers?

Sure there are modified inf files even for current beta 310.

Try this one. Click on INF Modified and copy nvwi.inf to your mobile drivers "Display.Driver" folder.

Intel HD graphics, i3-core, and 4GB of RAM, Besides, I will not use 64-bit Windows 7. I'll simply use 32-bit due to its simplicity, in my opinion.

besides the fact you'll might lose some CPU and RAM performance I don't get your simplicity argument. thats the difference?

besides the fact you'll might lose some CPU and RAM performance I don't get your simplicity argument. thats the difference?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I still don't know the difference between 64-bit and 32-bit other than ram. By using 32-bit, I don't have to DSDT override, right?

Oh. I was just curious / didn't get the simplicity part.

32 / 64 Bit refer to your CPUs processing and i3 is a 64 bit one. Applications written for 64 bit technology will run faster.

The downhand: some 32 bit legacy drivers and applications won't work.

In the past it was hard to get 64bit applications and drivers but that shouldn't be a problem for your system. You probably won't even notice it.

I guess you can run window 32bit without hugh performence differences anyways.

To my knowledge there shouldn't be a problem with DSDT override running windows 64bit. But wait for nando to be sure.

Oh. I was just curious / didn't get the simplicity part.

32 / 64 Bit refer to your CPUs processing and i3 is a 64 bit one. Applications written for 64 bit technology will run faster.

The downhand: some 32 bit legacy drivers and applications won't work.

In the past it was hard to get 64bit applications and drivers but that shouldn't be a problem for your system. You probably won't even notice it.

I guess you can run window 32bit without hugh performence differences anyways.

To my knowledge there shouldn't be a problem with DSDT override running windows 64bit. But wait for nando to be sure.

If TOLUD=3.5GB then you would need to do the DSDT override if running 4GB or more of RAM regardless if it's 32-bit or 64-bit Windows to be able to attach a eGPU. Only difference b/w 32 and 64-bit Windows is 32-bit can't use more than 4GB of RAM. Note too that Win7 can do a registry DSDT override which is less complicated than Win8 which requires a pre-boot environment (eg: Setup 1.1x) to do a in-memory DSDT substitution. Microsoft are really clamping down security in Win8.

If TOLUD=3.5GB then you would need to do the DSDT override if running 4GB or more of RAM regardless if it's 32-bit or 64-bit Windows to be able to attach a eGPU. Only difference b/w 32 and 64-bit Windows is 32-bit can't use more than 4GB of RAM. Note too that Win7 can do a registry DSDT override which is less complicated than Win8 which requires a pre-boot environment (eg: Setup 1.1x) to do a in-memory DSDT substitution. Microsoft are really clamping down security in Win8.

Well, my lenovo has 6GB of ram, but it doesn't use the whole memory, which doesn't bother me so much. So That's why I use 32-bit windows to not to complicate myself with a procedure like DSDT override. That's my choice.

Sure there are modified inf files even for current beta 310.

Try this one. Click on INF Modified and copy nvwi.inf to your mobile drivers "Display.Driver" folder.

I got win 7 so picked the 305 version of the driver for win7, but the problem is that my gpu won't engage when its installed. As soon as I install the desktop driver i had before it engages again (during install). :-/

I got win 7 so picked the 305 version of the driver for win7, but the problem is that my gpu won't engage when its installed. As soon as I install the desktop driver i had before it engages again (during install). :-/

All new drivers will say Win8 but they work for Win7, too. You don't have to stay with 305.

Is your Intel iGPU installed properly? Could you check if your eGPU works with some Desktop PC?

All new drivers will say Win8 but they work for Win7, too. You don't have to stay with 305.

Is your Intel iGPU installed properly? Could you check if your eGPU works with some Desktop PC?

yes, like i said, it works with the desktop drivers and the drivers with the modded infs from the old optimus thread. im gonna try the 309 win8 one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.