eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

I have since 2 weeks with 4x1.1 Dell e6400 T9800 (no optimus). i tested AMD PowerColor 7950 PCS +, ASUS GTX 560 TI TOP and Asus GTX 660 TI OC. I am of the opinion, the performance of AMD cards is the best, because pci-e scaling better see Ivy Bridge PCI-Express Scaling with HD 7970 and GTX 680 Review | techPowerUp, but on AMD 4x1.1 to change was difficult. Playing with AMD was really cool. The Best Performance and easy changing on 4x1.1 was 660 TI. I have about 7800 GPU Bench in 3DMark11. (Core2Due CPU and GPU Bench 7800 is OK). Who can not turn on Nvidia Optimus ,anyway chooses Nvidia cards because they are the easiest to work on 4x1.1 (not the fast like AMD 4-8% lower performance but stable.)

What about this power brick?

Appears the DC output terminals have only the one voltage level out. So there is no 12V and 5V rail. The S-201W product has a 5V listing against it, but it too looks to only have the one rail out. It's likely you adjust the Vadjust screw to set it to 5V, 12V or 24V output only.

Aliexpress.com : Buy retail,wholesale(it is best send goods by ship ) LED power supply S 201W(2 years quality warranty) from Reliable power supply suppliers on ITC STORE---retail,wholesale,purchasing agent

Is the PE4L adapter available with detachable cable+2.0speed? PE4L-060A?

According to Major0din here, PE4L-L060A can only support gen1 speed and also isn't available for purchase yet. BPlus only have the PE4L-EC060A (expresscard) and PE4L-PM060A (mPCIe) 2.1b that supports gen2 speed.

- - - Updated - - -

I have since 2 weeks with 4x1.1 Dell e6400 T9800 (no optimus). i tested AMD PowerColor 7950 PCS +, ASUS GTX 560 TI TOP and Asus GTX 660 TI OC. I am of the opinion, the performance of AMD cards is the best, because pci-e scaling better see Ivy Bridge PCI-Express Scaling with HD 7970 and GTX 680 Review | techPowerUp, but on AMD 4x1.1 to change was difficult. Playing with AMD was really cool. The Best Performance and easy changing on 4x1.1 was 660 TI. I have about 7800 GPU Bench in 3DMark11. (Core2Due CPU and GPU Bench 7800 is OK). Who can not turn on Nvidia Optimus ,anyway chooses Nvidia cards because they are the easiest to work on 4x1.1 (not the fast like AMD 4-8% lower performance but stable.)

Do you mean you are running a T9800-2.93 Dell E6400 with a HD7970@x4 and a GTX660Ti@x4? If so, would you mind providing a full set of benchmarks like shown on the first page for inclusion? You'd be the second user who has successfully done a x4 1.0 implementation. There are plenty of Dell E6400 systems out there so maybe others would like to duplicate your results?

Nando thanks for your answers.

what kind of powersupply is this? looks very compact -> 200 Watt DC-DC ATX

Another idea: will it be possible to use the internal screen at x2 2.0 (or x4 1.0 for bbx^) speed over expresscard with the lucid software. According to the lucid homepage: "Virtu MVP Mobile - Replaces Optimus", in the product page it says: "boosts gaming responsiveness up to 70%" Lucidlogix with the multi gpu solution

Did anyone made a comparision for optimus vs lucid?

Hi,

the time has come when my laptop has started showing its age, and I'm doing some research on beefing it up through an eGPU.

I went through your elaborate post in Notebook Review (although I can't wrap my head around most of the terminology), but I found no mention to my laptop, the Acer 5738G.

Specs are:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00GHz

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1067MHz

GPU: nVidia Geforce G 105M

Is the eGPU solution even possible with the 5738G?

What parts do you suggest?

Would downgrading my OS to a performance version of XP SP3 make sense? (Since I get the common Acer Win 7 USB bug)

Thank you for your time,

Ian

PS: Any chance the laptop will let me display to the internal LCD?

PPS: Don't shy out on the crazy, since the laptop is way past its guarrantee, and I don't mind one bit building a Frankenstein out of it.

Nando thanks for your answers.

what kind of powersupply is this? looks very compact -> 200 Watt DC-DC ATX

Another idea: will it be possible to use the internal screen at x2 2.0 (or x4 1.0 for bbx^) speed over expresscard with the lucid software. According to the lucid homepage: "Virtu MVP Mobile - Replaces Optimus", in the product page it says: "boosts gaming responsiveness up to 70%" Lucidlogix with the multi gpu solution

Did anyone made a comparision for optimus vs lucid?

The 200W pico adapter is very compact but the comparison page tells us a PW-200-M has 12V/12A and 5V/6A. So it doesn't have the 12V/16A+ requires to drive a GTX660Ti.

I recall Khenglish did a Optimus vs Lucid comparison, finding performance and stability of Optimus was much better.

Now not sure if it was PMed info or whether it was publically released. Can Khenglish chime in?

It makes a lot of sense that NVidia could engage link level compression using their hardware (CUDA?) if necessary whereas Lucid would just tweak the pipelining of data to the video card to get better performance. The former guaranteed to get a better result.

In addition, Virtu needs a Sandy or Ivy Bridge processor. bbx has a 2 gens older core2duo in his E6400 so won't be able to use Virtu.

Hi,

the time has come when my laptop has started showing its age, and I'm doing some research on beefing it up through an eGPU.

I went through your elaborate post in Notebook Review (although I can't wrap my head around most of the terminology), but I found no mention to my laptop, the Acer 5738G.

Specs are:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00GHz

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1067MHz

GPU: nVidia Geforce G 105M

Is the eGPU solution even possible with the 5738G?

What parts do you suggest?

Would downgrading my OS to a performance version of XP SP3 make sense? (Since I get the common Acer Win 7 USB bug)

Thank you for your time,

Ian

PS: Any chance the laptop will let me display to the internal LCD?

PPS: Don't shy out on the crazy, since the laptop is way past its guarrantee, and I don't mind one bit building a Frankenstein out of it.

An eGPU would be possible on a 5738G given it has an expresscard slot, but the lack of an iGPU means no x1.Opt would be possible. Then I'd only suggest you consider it if x2 is possible as x1 performance would mostly be unacceptable. For that you'd need a port layout as described in PRE PURCHASE FAQ -> 6. (Performance) Can my system do a PE4H x2 or x4 link as shown in PCIe Scaling Analysis? Do note the additional costs of the hardware to do x2 as well as the DIY eGPU Setup 1.x software. No transparent internal LCD mode functionality like NVidia Optimus or LucidLogix Virtu would be available to you.

From a bang-per-buck perspective, I'd suggest offloading the 5738G system for an inexpensive Sandy Bridge x1.2Opt capable one with an expresscard slot like a Dell Vostro 3550, HP Probook 4530s or Lenovo E520. Other than the significantly faster NVidia eGPU performance, the CPU too is much faster than what you have now and you could drive the internal LCD only if you like, saving $$ from not needing to buy an external LCD.

I just finished building an eGPU and was wondering how I know if it is working or not. I power everything on but I can't tell if it has increased my performance or not. Is there a application like CPU-Z that tells me that the computer is using the GPU?

My rig is a standard eGPU using an express card port in a Dell Latitude E6420. The graphics card (Gtx 560 2gb Fermi) also has a cord attached to the monitor that I am using which has a vga cord plugged into the laptop as well.

Processor: i7 2620

Ram: 8gb

Integrated Video card: nVidia nvs 4200M

Thanks

Edit1: Alright so I checked the device manager and I can't seem to find it, what is an eGPU suppose to look like in device manager? I even opened up the casing while it was powered on and all of the fans are working so it is definitely on. Will post pictures if it is necessary.

I just finished building an eGPU and was wondering how I know if it is working or not. I power everything on but I can't tell if it has increased my performance or not. Is there a application like CPU-Z that tells me that the computer is using the GPU?

My rig is a standard eGPU using an express card port in a Dell Latitude E6420. The graphics card (Gtx 560 2gb Fermi) also has a cord attached to the monitor that I am using which has a vga cord plugged into the laptop as well.

Processor: i7 2620

Ram: 8gb

Integrated Video card: nVidia nvs 4200M

Thanks

Edit1: Alright so I checked the device manager and I can't seem to find it, what is an eGPU suppose to look like in device manager? I even opened up the casing while it was powered on and all of the fans are working so it is definitely on. Will post pictures if it is necessary.

Have you had a look at the http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2129-diy-egpu-troubleshooting-faq.html#post27397 ? If your eGPU is detected then it would appear as an unknown device in Device Manager until you load drivers. After loading drivers it would appear in the Display Adapters section.

Two other points. I am not sure if you are using a PE4L 2.1b or not. If using an older PE4L or PE4H, then I unless Dell have a bios setting to do it you'd need Setup 1.1x to downgrade the expresscard slot link to Gen1/pci-e 1.x. Secondly, to get x1.2Opt performance, you'd need to disable the NVS4200M. There is no bios setting to do that so you'd need Setup 1.1x to do it. If you purchased your hardware from Harmonic Inversion then you can get Setup 1.1x for free. If not, there is a $25/$15 (with coupon) donation required for access.

Appears the DC output terminals have only the one voltage level out. So there is no 12V and 5V rail. The S-201W product has a 5V listing against it, but it too looks to only have the one rail out. It's likely you adjust the Vadjust screw to set it to 5V, 12V or 24V output only.

Aliexpress.com : Buy retail,wholesale(it is best send goods by ship ) LED power supply S 201W(2 years quality warranty) from Reliable power supply suppliers on ITC STORE---retail,wholesale,purchasing agent

I'm sorry Nando, I posted the wrong link before!

This is what I wanted to show you. If you look at the third picture you can see 3x outputs, that could be it?

I'm sorry Nando, I posted the wrong link before!

This is what I wanted to show you. If you look at the third picture you can see 3x outputs, that could be it?

I see | L | N | GND | V-,V-V- | V+,V,+V+ | Vadj . Without any further instructions I'd be reading the three V- and V+ outputs to just DC tap off points where you could have budget for say 3x75W outputs (225W) off the single rail. Two could be your 75W pci-e plugs for the GTX660TI and the last could be your floppy molex that runs to your PE4L.

So all would work but just note my previous precaution. You'd be drawing 3.3V/1.3A (4.3W) from the expresscard slot whereas pci-e is rated at 3.3V/3A (10W). If your card does need that much 3.3V power then it would be power starved. A separate 5V supply to the PE4L's floppy molex would get downregulated to 3.3V, giving more power.

Do you mean you are running a T9800-2.93 Dell E6400 with a HD7970@x4 and a GTX660Ti@x4? If so, would you mind providing a full set of benchmarks like shown on the first page for inclusion? You'd be the second user who has successfully done a x4 1.0 implementation. There are plenty of Dell E6400 systems out there so maybe others would like to duplicate your results?

I mean, I'm running a T9800-2.93 Dell E6400 with a HD7950@x4 and a GTX660Ti@x4. But now i have only 660 TI OC. 3dmark11 on hd7950 was ca. 7350 GPU mark and AUSUS 660 TI witout new AUSUS GPU Bios Update 7571 GPU 3DMarks. With official GPU Bios update :Banane06:(only ASUS 660 series ) 7836 GPU 3DMarks. In Games was AMD faster than Nvidia (4-8 %) like Crysis , Crysis 2, CS Source and in Battlefield was Nvida faster. Nvidia is stable, amd have 1-2 problems with egpu adapter. Amd must be first in 1x1.0 work, and after that you must plug in mpci 2, 3, and ec card :waaaht:.

post-5966-14494993662756_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Have you had a look at the http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2129-diy-egpu-troubleshooting-faq.html#post27397 ? If your eGPU is detected then it would appear as an unknown device in Device Manager until you load drivers. After loading drivers it would appear in the Display Adapters section.

Two other points. I am not sure if you are using a PE4L 2.1b or not. If using an older PE4L or PE4H, then I unless Dell have a bios setting to do it you'd need Setup 1.1x to downgrade the expresscard slot link to Gen1/pci-e 1.x. Secondly, to get x1.2Opt performance, you'd need to disable the NVS4200M. There is no bios setting to do that so you'd need Setup 1.1x to do it. If you purchased your hardware from Harmonic Inversion then you can get Setup 1.1x for free. If not, there is a $25/$15 (with coupon) donation required for access.

Yes I have looked at the url, I'm using a PE4H 2.4. I did in fact get the set up 1.1x for free from Harmonic Inversion and have it downloaded but I have no idea what to do with it.

In the device manager there is no device showing up as an unknown device.

Yes I have looked at the url, I'm using a PE4H 2.4. I did in fact get the set up 1.1x for free from Harmonic Inversion and have it downloaded but I have no idea what to do with it.

In the device manager there is no device showing up as an unknown device.

Setup 1.1x is an excellent tool to help diagnose if you have a pci-e link between the eGPU and your system. So proceed to install Setup 1.1x as a disk image, select it from your Win7 bootup menu and boot the "Setup 1.x: menu-based" option. It will advise if your eGPU is detected or not and actions to take to get it detected. The context-sensitive help for Setup 1.1x if available by hitting F1. The same HTML help is available for perusal at DIY eGPU Setup 1.x Help .

You'll need to:

1. get the eGPU detected first by following suggestions. You'll need to confirm your ATX PSU's has 2 pci-e power leads attached to the GTX560, a floppy molex power lead is attached to the PE4H 2.4, the EC2C is plugged into your expresscard slot and a mHDMI cable attaches between the PE4H port1 and the EC2C.

2. select PCIe ports->Link speed.G1 to set eGPU's port link to Gen1 speed, the only speed the PE4H 2.4 supports. Hit F3 to add that to your startup.bat

3. select Video cards.Hybrid gfx.dGPU[off] to disable the NVS4200M. You'll need to do that to get x1.1Opt performance. Hit F3 to add that to your startup.bat

4. select 'Chainloader mbr' to chainload back to the Win7 boot menu. From there select Win7. Your eGPU should then be detected in Win7 after which you can load NVidia drivers and have it appear under the Display Adapters section.

Setup 1.1x is an excellent tool to help diagnose if you have a pci-e link between the eGPU and your system. So proceed to install Setup 1.1x as a disk image, select it from your Win7 bootup menu and boot the "Setup 1.x: menu-based" option. It will advise if your eGPU is detected or not and actions to take to get it detected. The context-sensitive help for Setup 1.1x if available by hitting F1. The same HTML help is available for perusal at DIY eGPU Setup 1.x Help .

You'll need to:

1. get the eGPU detected first by following suggestions. You'll need to confirm your ATX PSU's has 2 pci-e power leads attached to the GTX560, a floppy molex power lead is attached to the PE4H 2.4, the EC2C is plugged into your expresscard slot and a mHDMI cable attaches between the PE4H port1 and the EC2C.

2. select PCIe ports->Link speed.G1 to set eGPU's port link to Gen1 speed, the only speed the PE4H 2.4 supports. Hit F3 to add that to your startup.bat

3. select Video cards.Hybrid gfx.dGPU[off] to disable the NVS4200M. You'll need to do that to get x1.2Opt performance. Hit F3 to add that to your startup.bat

4. select 'Chainloader mbr' to chainload back to the Win7 boot menu. From there select Win7. Your eGPU should then be detected in Win7 after which you can load NVidia drivers and have it appear under the Display Adapters section.

I was under the impression that opt 1.1 would only be used if I wanted to use the graphics card to work for an internal LCD screen.

I want to avoid disabling the nvs 2400 since I will still be unplugging the laptop and taking it to lab and lectures. Is it easy to transition from eGpu mode to just normal laptop mode?

I will attempt to implement what you told me as soon as I get back.

edit 1 : I just got back and apparently I think I may have plugged the express card cord into the wrong port, I had originally put it into the graphics card which had its own PCIe port. I switched it and moved that to the port that is in the Pcie passive adapter. From what I see the computer isn't recognizing the existence of the graphics card. Everything is definitely workign since I see the fans spinning on the graphics card in addition to the case fans.

How do I set up 1.1x as a disc image and how do i access the boot up menu. When I attempt to do so I get a cmd that checks if I'm an admin user, I hit a button and then it says that copying grub.exe and menu.lst to C:// has access denied then tells me to copy files manually. Also it says that bcdedit isn't detected on windows 7

edit 2: I was in the middle of a game and my framerate skyrocketed to 120 fps which as never ever happened before, at most it would be at 60 fps and drop down to 50-30 but it was at a ridiculously high 120, I can assume that the gpu is working... But I have no idea why. It may have been the order of turning on the computer + turning on the psu but I don't remember what it was.

I'm sure it doesn't have an expresscard slot... Only the usual mPCIe where the WiFi card is tucked. And I have no idea what chipset it's got or how to find out. You'll have to excuse my dilletantism, but aside from takin the laptop apart and putting it back together from memory, I don't have any real hardware experience. Also, right now (recently became a father) the 5738G is all I have available to make something out of, and of course, if I had the money necessary to get another rig, I'd definitely go desktop. For their portability, laptops have proven to have a much shorter expiry date.

I mean, I'm running a T9800-2.93 Dell E6400 with a HD7950@x4 and a GTX660Ti@x4. But now i have only 660 TI OC. 3dmark11 on hd7950 was ca. 7350 GPU mark and AUSUS 660 TI witout new AUSUS GPU Bios Update 7571 GPU 3DMarks. With official GPU Bios update :Banane06:(only ASUS 660 series ) 7836 GPU 3DMarks. In Games was AMD faster than Nvidia (4-8 %) like Crysis , Crysis 2, CS Source and in Battlefield was Nvida faster. Nvidia is stable, amd have 1-2 problems with egpu adapter. Amd must be first in 1x1.0 work, and after that you must plug in mpci 2, 3, and ec card :waaaht:.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4981[/ATTACH]

Awesome.. another rare x4 implementation. Can you run the other benchmarks on the first page so I can add you in to the DX9, DX10 and DX11 sections? Ie: RE5-DX9-1280x800_var, 3dmark06, DMCV4-DX10-1280x800, 3dmark vantage, Unigine heaven.

I'm sure it doesn't have an expresscard slot... Only the usual mPCIe where the WiFi card is tucked. And I have no idea what chipset it's got or how to find out. You'll have to excuse my dilletantism, but aside from takin the laptop apart and putting it back together from memory, I don't have any real hardware experience. Also, right now (recently became a father) the 5738G is all I have available to make something out of, and of course, if I had the money necessary to get another rig, I'd definitely go desktop. For their portability, laptops have proven to have a much shorter expiry date.

1. It has no expresscard slot: Acer Aspire 5738G [Laptop Specifications Central]

2. I received the lspci output here finding it has

port1=LAN

port2=<no device>

port3=wifi

port5=<no device>

Given it is a Series-4 chipset, and the wifi is sitting on port3, you get an ATiAMD card and apply the x1E tweak to get the best possible performance.

For lowest possible cost, if you are in the US I'd suggest ask Harmonic Inversion if they can supply a PE4L-1.5 + PM3N from HIT. There you'll get the Setup 1.1x software necessary to do this included as part of the purchase. Acquiring the hardware from BPlus would mean then a separate donation for the Setup 1.1x software that you'll need.

Before splurging out on this, consider if you might be able to onsell the notebook and replace it with a 4500MHD or Intel HD equipped one with an expresscard slot for the same $$. If you could, then consider getting a s/h NVidia GTX460 and a PE4L-EC060A 2.1b instead. The performance will be much better and it can even drive the internal LCD screen using the NVidia Optimus driver.

How do I set up 1.1x as a disc image and how do i access the boot up menu. When I attempt to do so I get a cmd that checks if I'm an admin user, I hit a button and then it says that copying grub.exe and menu.lst to C:// has access denied then tells me to copy files manually. Also it says that bcdedit isn't detected on windows 7

To install Setup 1.1,x log into your system as an admin user and ensure UAC is disabled. Then run c:\eGPU\setup-disk-image to do a disk image installation.

Once it's all setup correctly, you'll boot into Win7 via the Setup 1.x bootitem to use the iGPU+eGPU (with disabled NVS4200M dGPU) or via the Win7 bootitem to use the iGPU+dGPU (NVS4200M).

I was thinking of using my ACER 5738ZG for a eGPU setup. After some research (including disassemble the laptop) I found that I only had access to mPcie slot 2 and 3 (verified by moving my wifi-card). This indicates that 2x-link would not work since you'll need available mPCIE slots in pairs of either 1+2 or 3+4 etc. Also, I found that there is a HD4500 (iGPU) located on the motherboard but since it's physically disabled by intel and can't be activated, this kills the option for any 1.x-opt implementation.

To conclude: No possibility for 2x-link nor 1.x-opt. For performance you should really look into what Nando suggested regarding swapping to a low cost sandy-bridge system.

NANDO: correct me if I'm wrong about the 2x-link.

I was thinking of using my ACER 5738ZG for a eGPU setup. After some research (including disassemble the laptop) I found that I only had access to mPcie slot 2 and 3 (verified by moving my wifi-card). This indicates that 2x-link would not work since you'll need available mPCIE slots in pairs of either 1+2 or 3+4 etc. Also, I found that there is a HD4500 (iGPU) located on the motherboard but since it's physically disabled by intel and can't be activated, this kills the option for any 1.x-opt implementation.

To conclude: No possibility for 2x-link nor 1.x-opt. For performance you should really look into what Nando suggested regarding swapping to a low cost sandy-bridge system.

NANDO: correct me if I'm wrong about the 2x-link.

That is correct. No x1.Opt nor x2 is possible on the Acer 5738G. It can only run straight x1 1.0 which will see stuttering due to the low bandwidth. It's not a good candidate system for an eGPU implementation.

Instead I would advise a iGPU-equipped notebook with an expresscard slot + PE4L 2.1b + s/h GTX460 to gain x1.2Opt (Sandy Bridge) or x1.Opt (older 1st gen i-core or core2duo, eg: Dell Inspiron 1545). There are plenty of examples on the first page of such candidate systems.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, thanks, the breakdown really helped. Considering what you said, I think I'll look into swapping out the 5738G for a better system.

You know, it's funny that you mentioned the Dell Inspiron 1545, since my sister has one. Wish me luck in trying to convince her to swap it for mine :canny:

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, thanks, the breakdown really helped. Considering what you said, I think I'll look into swapping out the 5738G for a better system.

You know, it's funny that you mentioned the Dell Inspiron 1545, since my sister has one. Wish me luck in trying to convince her to swap it for mine :canny:

Wish you luck. The Inspiron 1545 with 4500MHD iGPU is what you want so can do a x1.Opt implementation, eg: GTX460. If hers has the ATI HD4330 discrete graphics then it too is no good to you for the same reasons why the 5738G is no good - no x1.Opt or x2 are possible on it.

Awesome.. another are x4 implementation. Can you run the other benchmarks on the first page so I can add you in to the DX9, DX10 and DX11 sections? Ie: RE5-DX9-1280x800_var, 3dmark06, DMCV4-DX10-1280x800, 3dmark vantage, Unigine heaven.

Unigine heaven 2027 post-5966-14494993668739_thumb.jpg 3dmark06 and 3dmark vantage i can't start, something doesn't work on my notebook.

Wish you luck. The Inspiron 1545 with 4500MHD iGPU is what you want so can do a x1.Opt implementation, eg: GTX460. If hers has the ATI HD4330 discrete graphics then it too is no good to you for the same reasons why the 5738G is no good - no x1.Opt or x2 are possible on it.

Hi nando, I've made a real account (no longer the facebook "Ivar Af Oring"). Just so you know!

I've been thinking about what you said about the cons using an xbox360-203w ac. It should possible to "strip" it down to make it slimmer in order to fit it in a smaller case?

This will be my new approach.

Hi nando, I've made a real account (no longer the facebook "Ivar Af Oring"). Just so you know!

I've been thinking about what you said about the cons using an xbox360-203w ac. It should possible to "strip" it down to make it slimmer in order to fit it in a smaller case?

This will be my new approach.

A much better name for me to know who from NBR it is I'm chatting to.

Last time I measured one, a XBOX 360 PSU was about the length of a NVidia video card but shorter. However, the the special end connector cable made it longer than then the video card.. It looks like you are electronically minded, so you can have a look at the innards of a XBOX360 203W PSU from allen pan's awesome eGPU work where he attached directly to the internals. See: [show OFF] External Universal GPU (Day0) | In the center of life's Whirlpool.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.