eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

If anyone one of you guys noticed there are new generation of pe4c v4. It looks amazing for what they have done to HDMI to mini-pcie, HOWEVER only HDMI m-pcie cable doesn't have any drill hole which you can not insert the screw to secure it. If you leave the m-pcie like that, then it will hang under your laptop or "dangling" because it doesn't have any anchor on it. Imo its better to get v3 one.

.Bplus-6 product_PE4C_V3.0.jpg

This is PE4C v3 ^^^^

Bplus-7 product-01_PE4C_V4.1.jpg

This is PE4C v4 ^^^

Hello Im new to posting here, but I have been trying to get this egpu to work. Im having the strangest problem. For some reason my friends gtx 660 is detected and working perfectly fine on my laptop. But when I try to connect my GTX 750ti it just does not detect the GPU additionally the laptop will black screen if powered on with the egpu connected. DYI will not detect my card at all no matter how many settings I change. Im stuck here...im running on a HP envy 17j-1000 windows 10. I really need help.

On 5/4/2016 at 10:23 AM, cpar said:

If anyone one of you guys noticed there are new generation of pe4c v4. It looks amazing for what they have done to HDMI to mini-pcie, HOWEVER only HDMI m-pcie cable doesn't have any drill hole which you can not insert the screw to secure it. If you leave the m-pcie like that, then it will hang under your laptop or "dangling" because it doesn't have any anchor on it. Imo its better to get v3 one.

If you look closely, you will see that the one in v4 is an M.2 connector, not an mPCIe connector.

On 3/20/2016 at 5:35 AM, CrzyGK said:

I've been working on getting my eGPU working for several weeks now. I have an issue where the eGPU shows up error-free in device manager, but nothing else seems to see it and external monitors don't work. I've posted about this a few times with no responses, so I'm hoping someone here might have an answer or something to point me in the right direction. 

If it shows up as a "Standard VGA Adapter", then you need to install the nvidia mobile drivers from geforce.com.

If you already installed nvidia drivers, are you sure you installed the mobile one and not the desktop one?

Edited by Arbystrider

Hello,

Currently I am having problems with my eGPU and I cant run games on it.
I'm looking for some help to diagnose the problem.

So here's the story: 

About a year ago I successfully setup an eGPU(all thanks to this site) on my 17" 2011 Macbook Pro using Akitio Thunderbolt w/ GTX 960.

Also to run the games on my internal screen I made a VGA dummy, then I just set the fake screen as the main screen and move the games to the internal screen.

My Macbook is also upgraded: 16GB RAM, SSD.

So I have had this solution for a while, and now a week ago everything worked but suddenly this Thursday I was playing Fallout 4 and suddenly it crashed.

Now at first I thought this was a one time crash because the week before I played a lot of Fallout and I think it did crash a few times.

Anyway this time it was different, it kept crashing and crashing. I thought it might be a problem with the game but no when I tried running Witcher 3 it also crashed after a minute or so.

So this happens pretty much in all games.

What I tried to do:

Placed GPU in a desktop computer - no crashes

Reinstall display drivers - still have crashes

My suspicions:

This all started on when I was installing Visual Studio 2015 while playing Fallout 4,

later I also installed a few more things to enable my GPU for Deep Learning (https://datanoord.com/2016/02/01/setup-a-deep-learning-environment-on-windows-theano-keras-with-gpu-enabled/), that includes CUDA.

Now the problems started before I could get across to actually installing CUDA but it could be two separate errors.

When I was setting this deep learning stuff I still didn't understand that I had serious problem.

My thunderbolt cable always had to be connected in an odd way = I had to pull it out a bit for it to work properly.

This could be something wrong with the cable, so I order a new one now.

But it could be a sign of some other problem with my connection.

Things I want to try:

Run on clean installation of windows

Connect eGPU to another macbook. (if I do this I won't have to do the first one I guess)

So I am looking for any tips, ways to diagnose my problem.

All help would be appreciated.

Thank You,

On 5/7/2016 at 7:46 PM, Arbystrider said:

If you look closely, you will see that the one in v4 is an M.2 connector, not an mPCIe connector.

If it shows up as a "Standard VGA Adapter", then you need to install the nvidia mobile drivers from geforce.com.

If you already installed nvidia drivers, are you sure you installed the mobile one and not the desktop one?

I actually resolved this issue with a new eGPU. The GTX 570 I was using was nothing but trouble, so I picked up a GTX 960 and I have yet to have an issue.

Hey Guys!

I bought the EXP GDC v8.0 to use with my laptop:

Alienware M17x R2 (no iGPU)

I am using:

• ZOTAC GTX 970
  • 300w PSU
  • DIY eGPU Setup 1.30

My problem is that Windows does not detect anything. I have checked Device Manager and I never see anything... I have tried everything on the TechInferno webpage here to try to get it to be seen, but nothing happens once in Windows. I have entered into the DIY eGPU Setup (menu option) several times trying what it recommends to get the graphics card to be seen, and messed around a bit with the settings, but none of that works either. I am not well-versed in how the DIY eGPU Setup choices can and should do... It can see my dGPU though, but will hang if attempting certain things like PCI compaction.

The only other info I can share is that ExpressCard slot of my laptop does work, I regularly use it with a USB 3.0 card. The graphics card only boots up (with fans on full blast) once the mHDMI cable is inserted into the laptop. If I have it connected from a cold boot, the card will attempt to turn on with slow fans and then turn off--which is likely due to how the ExpressCard slot reacts when booting... The graphics card is light and fully inserted into the EXP GDC adapter. There is no switch on the PSU, so once everything is plugged in, it just goes.

I do have a mPCIe cable and can try this on a newer laptop, but I want to get this working first (if possible). I thought it would since there is an Amazon review comment stating that it works on a M17x R2. The only other thing I can mention is that the GTX 680M was never officially meant for this laptop, so I have to hack the NVIDIA display drivers to get it running properly. I don't think this has anything to do with the eGPU detection though... And, if it helps, I do have a Dell 220w power brick I can use instead, since it should be able to sufficiently power the GTX 970.

If anyone has any suggestions I can try, I will, as I really want this old laptop to run at its best before I move on.

Thanks in advance!

EVGA SuperNOVA G1 Gold 650W Power Supply
ASUS GeForce GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB

PCI-express 1x to 16x 16x-1x mining Extender Riser Card + Power + USB3.0 cable 

Samsung RC520 15.6 inch Laptop (Intel Core i5 2410M 2.3GHz, 6Gb, 750Gb, DVD SuperMulti DL, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) - Black/Silver

These are the parts I plan to use. I dont have a laptop with working usb3 unfortunately so right now my goal is to just get the fans to run on the devices which I dont seem to have any success with so far.

I have plugged the VGA 6/6+2 cable from the psu to the gpu and no fans seem to operate.

Any solutions for connecting it to a laptop without usb3?

ALso any recommendation on new reasonably priced laptops? I need something lighter for uni

Edited by nidhoggur
previous issue

Wait a sec. Why do you need USB3.0?

To connect an eGPU you need some means to connect it to the PCIe of your laptop. That can be done via Expresscard, miniPCIe, Thunderbolt 1/2 or Thunderbolt 3. None of these are USB3.0. The USB3.0 cable in that kit is only used as the physical medium, you still need a miniPCIe slot to connect the small card into.

You need to:

1) Find where your laptop's miniPCIe slots are and connect the extender to them.

2) Figure out how to power up a desktop power supply without an actual computer.

I suggest you do some more reading here on the forums, there are a lot of guides and other people who have made it work with miniPCIe, as well as guides to getting a PSU working without a computer. Judging by your question I am not entirely sure you know what you are doing. Please be careful so you do not damage your hardware. If you are not sure about something, ask!

13 hours ago, nidhoggur said:

PCI-express 1x to 16x 16x-1x mining Extender Riser Card + Power + USB3.0 cable 

I'd like to know what this part is, because your description of it makes no sense.

VGA 6/6+2 cable from the psu to the gpu

There exists a Chinese proverb that goes something like "Knowledge begins with knowing the names of things and addressing them by those proper names".

1000x2000px-LL-ac82eb1d_pinout.png

Edited by Arbystrider

I do apologize for making no sense. I had the goal of just making the fans run.

I've looked online for abit and I cant find a way to access my PCi-e section on my Samsung RC520 . Does every laptop have one?

I have successfully run the fans by connecting the pcie 6 pin into the gpu and connecting the gpu to the riser with a pcie 4 pin connection. But for what ever reason I had to connect the MB pcie 24pin with a "testing cap" on the end. ( Displayed in picture)

Also can you recommend an alternative to my riser? Ive noticed alot of you use   EXP GDC v8.0  or something similar. Is it not possible with my one?

jOCGCtG.jpg

Some cables and attachments with my riser

xUxMRzI.jpg

Edited by nidhoggur

I've looked online for abit and I cant find a way to access my PCi-e section on my Samsung RC520 . Does every laptop have one?

You are looking for an mPCIe slot. Familiarise yourself with what that looks like. Every laptop that has wifi should have one, but on most consumer-class laptops such as yours, it would probably have only one - And it is taken up by the wifi card. You have to remove the wifi card and replace it with your eGPU for it to work. Post pics of internals, it would help me point out what you are looking for, assuming it is there.

What you are then supposed to do is connect the USB3 cable to both the big adapter board (that you have the GFX card connected to) and the small one that has just the USB port on it. PLEASE NOTE that even though the cable you are using is a USB3 cable, the signal it is carrying IS NOT USB3. So don't go plugging it into a USB3 port.

and connecting the gpu to the riser with a pcie 4 pin connection

1. I don't think you are supposed to do that. Connect the GPU directly to the PSU, and then connect the board to the PSU directly. You are not supposed to daisy-chain them like this, since every device needs its own power source. I stand to be corrected however, since I am not familiar with whatever board that is.

2. That is not a riser, it is a board. This is a riser.

3. That is called a 4-pin Molex connector.

4. It appears you are running the eGPU on the anti-static plastic bag that the GFX card comes in. There is/was a myth going around that the bag is conductive on the outside and that doing this kills the card, but I believe that it is 99% bulls@#t.

Also can you recommend an alternative to my riser? Ive noticed alot of you use   EXP GDC v8.0

I use an EXP GDC because I happened to be able to find one locally, for cheap and for cash. Others' reasons may vary from "It has better documentation than no-name PCIe adapters" and "It has fancy-schmancy switches on it that improve compatibility".

Hey everyone!

I've been fumbling on my own since I started using eGPU but now I could use a little help.

I've managed to make a DSDT override and now got a large memory in device manager and that is all good I guess.

But whenever I try to use setup 1.30 and do a chainload, it alway crashes to bluescreen with error 0xc00000e or something similiar.

I have absolutely no idea what to do now! So any help will be much appreciated.

my system is Asus UX32VD with win10

i5 3317U

10gb ram

250ssd

nvidia 620m

PE4C v4.1

R9 290 tri x

750w psu

Edited by Juunasv

Hi Guys,

I have a HP Dv7 Pavilion SETUP with GTX 960 which didn't work after plug and play can you please help me understand what might be the problem.

image2.jpeg

> I powered ON the PSU unit. Then powered the Laptop. Opened Device manager and disabled the existing radeon card.

> The adapted showed up in list of Display Drivers as "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter". If i check the properties it said "This device cannot start (Code 10)".

image4.jpeg

> I loaded the graphics driver but it didnt change. Someone suggested to change "Switchable Graphics" to "UMA" in BIOS but i couldnt find any such option in my laptop BIOS.
It only had two options for Switchable Graphics "Fixed" and "Dynamic".

image3.jpeg

My laptop and card specs are as below. Can you please let me know what i am  missing. Thanks a lot in advance for all your help.

Laptop: HP DV7 pavilion notebook

Card: GTX 960 4GB

PSU: EVGA 600W

Adapter: V8.0 Beast

I am using an exp gdc device on mpcie with a dell da2 psu.

It seems that when I am in egpu setup and polling of egpu it can appear and disappear intermittently. Is this because of the dell da2 psu not being powered on? The green light indicator is switched on on the dell da2 psu.

Also, in windows I am having trouble getting it to show up on device manager, it seems like it is random

Hi Guys

I am trying to use external GPU using EXP GDC Beast V 8.0 mini PCIe version, my laptop specification as follow

Laptop model       : Fujitsu LH532

Processor              :Intel Core i3 3110M 2.4GHz

RAM                       :8GB

Graphic Adapter   :Intel HD 4000 Graphics

Chipset                  : Intel HM76

Operating System : Windows 10

Bios Version          : Phoenix SecureCore Tiano 1.10

I got boot black screen issue when I used Galax Nvidia GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 on the EXP GDC Beast, the bios would not start, only black screen as if I wasn't power up my laptop at all.

Before trying to use the Galax Nvidia, I tried to use ATI Radeon 4770 512 MB GDDR5 on the EXP GDC and everything works fine, the laptop can boot, BIOS and Windows can start, I even can install the ATI driver and use it, no

issue at all using the ATI Radeon 4770.

I just learned that the TOLUD size can decide whether I can use eGPU for my laptop or not, but I am still not clear about this TOLUD thing, here is screen shoot of my memory under Device Manager,

how much is my TOLUD size and can my laptop actually being used for eGPU

Thank You

TOLUD.PNG

Hi, guys!

I have a Toshiba Satellite L505 13w

It is Arrandale i5 430M processor. I have 4GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5165 GPU and I'm running Windows 7. No express card slot. I want to upgrade my laptop with better graphics, what kind of eGPU suits me? Will I be able to use laptops screen?

Thanx for advice!

Cheers!

Edited by Dr.Shats

Hardware used;

L@pt0p; HP 2570p Elitebook

GPU; Geforce GTX 750 Ti

PSU; NEX650G

Boaard; PE4C 3.0

Connection; ExpressCard/34

Software used;

OS; Windows 10

BIOS; Legacy (Has option for Hybrid and Native UEFI, tried native didn't boot)

Progress so far, issues noted under each figure, please help.

When turning on the gpu before the laptop the screen stays black and my external monitor connected to the gpu by hdmi doesn't seem to work at all.

I plugged the gpu after turning the laptop on and I got the following results in fig1 and 2. GPU detected but after installing driver it asks me to restart which makes it come to a black screen. I am using a hdmi output from my gpu.

I dont think it completeed its driver installation upon restart

nDgUH2e.png

Figure 1. Setup. The 24pin ATX from PSU has a lid on it which allows for the gpu+psu to run I can hear the fans. Not connected directly to the PE4C (displayed above)

nrl4sgs.png

Figure 2. GPU is detected in device manager, but when I run the nvidia driver it says not compatible or not found etc.

syKdcoC.jpg

Figure 3. Not sure about my BIOS at all. But when I run in Native UEFi windows never loads, automated shutdown.

NrbYSd2.png

Figure4. In properties of the gtx750ti it says not enough resources, how to rectify this problem?

Error 12? Im reading this 

Edited by nidhoggur

On 2/20/2016 at 7:13 AM, griffinator said:

Hi aldimeola81,

Thanks for the response. Turns out the GPU was totally DOA as I suspected. I took it to work (haha) and stuck it a desktop--still didn't work at all. Returned the GPU, was sent a new one, it worked fine right away (well after an hour of playing with pci compaction--iGPU+eGPU with eGPU forced to 32 bit is the only thing working). I was so happy to see that error 12, such an improvement over getting not even a spin of the fan. Also, thanks to nando who helped me to realize that the card was simply DOA.

" I have now also tried a PE4C, with all combinations of sw1 sw2 switch settings. So I have now tried two adaptors. "

Where can I find out about these SW1 and SW2 things? I cant find any explanation anywhere

Hi I have a laptop with 2gb ram acer 5750G only integrated graphics, Win 8.1 pro installed.

AMD R9 290 installed and i get no code 12(I got this in w7) but this card is not being used in any games nor does the AMD crimson settings is detecting the card. The drivers and everything installed properly but amd setting is not detecting anything.

[[[Remove this if not appropriate]]]

My goal was a simple plug and play eGPU solution to play Darksouls 3 with my girlfriend :)

Finally got it to plug and play and just work.

Hardware;

HP 2570p Elitebook i7, 8Gb RAM

GTX660 (Originally GTX750TI does not work with HP 2570p easily)

Possible to use GTX670/760/770 due to similar resource requirements in comparison to GTX750TI

PE4C v3 EC/34

750W PSU (Unnecessary output)

Windows 7 ( Windows 10 = Error 12 = More work)

Started out with a GTX750TI Which was a mistake because I should of bought a GTX660, luckily for me my desktop had one already and all I had to do was swap.

You can make a successful eGPU from a GTX750TI however it requires alot more work unless you have a laptop that has enough TOLUD range to accommodate it. My experience with the 750 was a painful.

I personally would only pursue it if you are more educated in this type of field.

I have been unplugging and reattaching and it seems to just work great, Im reinstalling Windows 10 to try that

Steps

1. Waited for Windows to start loading then,
  2. Plugged my rigged GTX660 + PE4C to my EC/34 slot,
  3. Upon loading it appears in my device manager, not named GTX660,
  4. Downloaded the GTX660 driver from NVIDIA and it recognized the GPU,
  5. After installation it will name the GTX660 in device manager.
  6. Requests restart, I had to pull it out after hitting the restart button and then quickly replug at windows load
  7. It didn't work immediately,  after unplugging/replugging while laptop was on it started to give a display to my GPU's HDMI output which was connected to a monitor.
  8. I played Darksouls 3 and it works great.

Safely Remove eGPU

1. Shutdown laptop
  2. Unplug once off (Ive gotten a blue screen once prematurely pulling for some reason)
Geeks3D
GpuTest FurMark
v0.7.0.0
▶Submited by Anonymous on Jun 11, 2016
Score
FPS
Fullscreen mode NO
Resolution 1920 x 1054
MSAA X8
Duration (ms) 60000
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3520M CPU @ 2.90GHz
Operating system Windows 7 64-bit build 7601 (Service Pack 1)
Graphics driver R368.39
OpenGL - GL_VERSION 4.5.0 NVIDIA 368.39
OpenGL - GL_RENDERER GeForce GTX 660/PCIe/SSE2
GPU 1 GeForce GTX 660
Device ID NVIDIA (0x10de - 0x11c0)
SubDevice ID GIGABYTE (0x1458 - 0x354e)

13441870_10207756481803983_1186541731_o.jpg

Fig1. GTX660 with 750W PSU and PE4C 3.0 Potato quality

SPECIAL THANKS to Nando and Arbystrider, I would of gotten no where without you guys.

Please correct me in anything because I want to know this abit more intimately.

I also dont mind admins editing, moving or altering the content or the title etc if needed

Edited by nidhoggur
  • Thumbs Up 1

eGPU

I've got little problem with my system after booting.

It was six months ago, but I'm lazy to fix that. But I cannot tear up my laptop forever.

My system specification is described in below (signature)

First, I plug expresscard (ec) into laptop and booting. It was running normally. eGPU detected and it's nothing problem. I can run any games smoothly and benchmark any programs.

But after I shutdown the system and unplug the ec and booting again, I saw bluescreen on the screen that describe whea_uncorrectable error.

So, I must force shutdown with keeping press the power button until system was off.

And this accident got my system, again and again.

What's the solution ? 

Hopefully, I can found it on this thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/6/2016 at 11:51 AM, nidhoggur said:

Hardware used;

L@pt0p; HP 2570p Elitebook

GPU; Geforce GTX 750 Ti

PSU; NEX650G

Boaard; PE4C 3.0

Connection; ExpressCard/34

Can someone recommend me something to replace the NEX650 PSU?

I wanted something like this https://www.amazon.com/Dell-OptiPlex-D220P-01-ADP-220AB-ZVC220HD12S1/dp/B00CFGVWXG (Dell 220W DA-2 AC Power Supply Adapter)

Im trying to make my physical appearance not be as... big.. so I can make a nice enclosure

• admin changed the title to eGPU experiences [version 2.0]
  • Tech Inferno Fan featured this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.