eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

18 minutes ago, viilutaja said:

Here is fresh run with X230 (very old Windows7 install and on a HDD). Comapring it todays E6430 run.
http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/7767217/fs/7762670

E6430 has SSD with no more than 7 days old Windows install... so it is fresh!

X230 beats it out of the water. And E6430 is running on CPU OC!  eGPU was on default clocks on both runs (X230 and E6430).

Don't look at the GPU clocks- they show weird numbers. When opening "View run details" after the run, then there are correct clocks (default).

Should I try the E6430 with 8GB of ram instead of 16GB?

have you tried to select the egpu on nvidia driver under physX? try also to return cpu to  factory clock, maybe the overclock make only bad things in that case

Nando,

I have one question about diy setup 1.30v, "How do I make my video card to appear in 1.30v setup box menu? It appears only egpu adapter was the only thing was recognized by 1.30v."

I performed many of these tasks:

-I checked my 650w ATX psu, and it is properly connected to egpu adapter and video card

-Tried to use hotplug method (from troubleshoot section) during 1.30v setup and only egpu adapter appeared in the box

-Performed DDU (display driver unistaller) and opened the clean install for gtx 970

-I booted into windows w/o 1.30v setup, and my device manager recognize my gtx 970 (its odd that setup 1.30v is unable to recognize it)

-Changed the power management mode from adaptive to prefer maximum power from nvidia control panel

Also, I tried running chainloader run test and my black screen showed up (basically it crashed).

Is there any way to force 1.30v setup to recognize my video card?

I don't think there's any solution from troubleshoot DIY 1.30v section :/

Edited by cpar

1 hour ago, cpar said:

Nando,

I have one question about diy setup 1.30v, "How do I make my video card to appear in 1.30v setup box menu? It appears only egpu adapter was the only thing was recognized by 1.30v."

I performed many of these tasks:

-I checked my 650w ATX psu, and it is properly connected to egpu adapter and video card

-Tried to use hotplug method (from troubleshoot section) during 1.30v setup and only egpu adapter appeared in the box

-Performed DDU (display driver unistaller) and opened the clean install for gtx 970

-I booted into windows w/o 1.30v setup, and my device manager recognize my gtx 970 (its odd that setup 1.30v is unable to recognize it)

-Changed the power management mode from adaptive to prefer maximum power from nvidia control panel

Also, I tried running chainloader run test and my black screen showed up (basically it crashed).

Is there any way to force 1.30v setup to recognize my video card?

I don't think there's any solution from troubleshoot DIY 1.30v section :/

Pls run Save Diags->compact_fails within DIY eGPU Setup 1.30. Then boot windows, run c:\eGPU\eGPU-setup-mount (as admin) and winzip/winrar the v:\diag folder. Email that file to me for evaluation.

10 hours ago, viilutaja said:

Selecting eGPU to do PhysX will only matter if You want to play PhysX games.

I tried CPU at factory clock already... same...

I’ve seen your bench results, the egpu when in x230 goes clocked  much slower.. why? do you have overclocked the egpu in dell? with my t530 and gtx960, when i overclock the egpu, i have slower system than stock , try to get the card at same frequency than x230 and try, bye.

that's mine

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11062878

Edited by aldimeola81

Like I said, don't watch the clocks in the Futuremark result page- they are messed up! Dunno why it uploads wrong clocks?

Both tests were made with default GPU clock, the webpage shows them incorrectly!

Ok sorry.. Are you using stock laptop power supply and battery? What scores give your windows Wei? I'm interested cause I'm buying an e6430, do you think I must wait? Where are you from?

Try also to disable igpu and see what happens

I am using original battery but a more powerful dock PSU (130W).  eGPU is connected to 500W external PSU. Windows WEI score was 7.2 . Slowest being the memory. Rest were 7.9 if i remember correctly.

Hmm I don't know if you should wait or not. It seems that some other people get their E6430 working nicely with eGPU. 
I read the performance thread of E6430 and decided to buy this laptop and swap out my X230, but it seems not to work for me...

Hi guys, quick question, i have EXP GDC beast v7 and succesfully works with gtx 460 on series 5 hm55 chipset, but I have a really low 3dmark06 performance, about 5400 and EGPU shows as 1.1 x1. If i buy setup 1.30 can i upgrade it to x2 or something like that, or what should i do when i buy it to gain better performance? Thanks.

Edited by TicTac

Hello mates,

I'm just little bit confused. I have Elitebook 8540w which contains :

edit: I'M using PE4L-EC060A 

CPU :Intel Core i7 840QM

Chipset:  Intel QM57 Express

4GB ram (for test i remowed the added 12ram)

With igpu - ati firepro m5800

running WINDOWS 10

Trying to connect Nvidia GTX 750 2GB

At first - I did LOT of reading about this DIY EGPU. 

I bought PE4L for expresscard. 

I have 350w PSU for GPU. 

I checked TOLUD - it is 3.25GB

I figgured out - I can't start with GPU - it throws some error about incorrect sound card is plugged in. 

WHen I start to windows, plug in and power up the GPU - i got known error 12. 

I readed about DSDT override. So I downloaded attached tools IASL and acpidump. 

iasl -g
acpidump -b

iasl -g is ok. 

When I'm trying decompile created .dat file, i got errors :

Non-ASCII character [0xCB] found in line 1, file offset 0x05
Non-ASCII character [0xA0] found in line 3, file offset 0x51
Non-ASCII character [0x93] found in line 3, file offset 0x53
Non-ASCII character [0x82] found in line 4, file offset 0x62
Non-ASCII character [0xEA] found in line 4, file offset 0x63
Non-ASCII character [0xA0] found in line 7, file offset 0x6B
Non-ASCII character [0x94] found in line 7, file offset 0x6E
Non-ASCII character [0xA0] found in line 9, file offset 0x91
Non-ASCII character [0x92] found in line 9, file offset 0x94
Non-ASCII character [0x93] found in line 9, file offset 0x95
18 non-ASCII characters found in input source text, could be a binary file
Error    4063 - Invalid characters found in file DSDT_1521.dat

So I tryied acpidump -b call. It gives me .dat file, that can be decompiled with iasl. 

BUT... again - i got some warnings in this step. 

iasl.thumb.jpg.35d620e6562ed33ba169aaefd

I still tryied to include described string into this decompiled file, and then put it back with 

iasl -oa dsdt.dsl

But I got errors in parsing 

Compiler aborting due to parser-detected syntax error(s)
dsdt.dsl  19723:                 0x01 = VGDD /* External reference */
Error    6126 -                      ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_EXP_EQUALS
dsdt.dsl  19954:                     0x00
Error    6126 -                        ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_INTEGER
ASL Input:     dsdt.dsl - 21815 lines, 776779 bytes, 7776 keywords
Compilation complete. 2 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

I Also added dsdt.dsl file. 

Do anybody has some idea how to fix this issues? 

Best regards,

Mugsat

tolud.jpg

dsdt.rar

Edited by Mugsat

Ti consiglio di usare dsdteditor per windows puo correggere gli errori e riuscire a compilare un ottimo dsdt.aml io uso windows 10 pro

Edited by Mario
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi Mario, thank You for the information. I just opened it with this editor, but... I'm not experienced enought with this. Would not be possible to help me please? 

Hello all, i have a Lenovo L440 and an EXP Beast. My eGPU is a 4GB MSI Gaming 960. I had a Lenovo X230 before and everything was great, upgraded to an L440 to take advantage of the quad core i7-4702MQ. But i have been having Generation 2 stability issues with the L440. I have created a DSDT override and have Large Memory in Control Panel, When windows starts, i can put the computer to sleep and connect the card and it gets detected. The only problem is that after a while, the card just shuts off on its own and i get an Nvidia Kernel 360 error message and the video comes back to the internal display from my external monitor. I have tried SetUp 1.3 to compact the eGPU to 56.25. I did my DSDT override from Windows directly and didnt use SetUp 1.3 but yet even with compaction i still have the card shutting down on me every now and then. I can confirm both my card and the EXP are in good working condition and i have a power supply from Dell for 220W. With the X230 it was stable for hours but with the L440 I cant get past 40mins of The Division before it crashes. 

I dont think its a driver issue as the card also stops functioning when im in the SetUp 1.3 environment. Im really confused and i dont know what more to do. 

Some one also complained of the stability issues here 

but some other people have success with the L440 here

im really confused about what to troubleshoot next. I dont know how to acheive the DSDT through SetUp 1.3 but i already have it done from here

Please any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Anyone can help me please?

specs:

Hp elitebook 2570p

windows 7 64 bit

i7 3520m

4gb ddr3

exp gdc beast v8 expresscard.

Bios version f6.0

Nvidia gt 730 1gb ddr5 64 bit and Nvidia gtx 750 2gb ddr5 128 bit and Nvidia gt 9500 1gb ddr3 128 bit

My problem ... is when i plug in with gt 730 64 bit it work perfectly....... but when i plug gtx 750 128bit and gt9500 128 bit ....

i get error 12 code............. it occur when i plug any 128 bit gpu... :'(

Any solution guys?

19 hours ago, sparrowsp said:

Anyone can help me please?

specs:

Hp elitebook 2570p

windows 7 64 bit

i7 3520m

4gb ddr3

exp gdc beast v8 expresscard.

Bios version f6.0

Nvidia gt 730 1gb ddr5 64 bit and Nvidia gtx 750 2gb ddr5 128 bit and Nvidia gt 9500 1gb ddr3 128 bit

My problem ... is when i plug in with gt 730 64 bit it work perfectly....... but when i plug gtx 750 128bit and gt9500 128 bit ....

i get error 12 code............. it occur when i plug any 128 bit gpu... :'(

Any solution guys?

hi,think the gtx750ti need more space.try dsdt override fist,if not solved use setup.x1 in order to do a succesfull compactation against gtx750ti.

Edited by dan

18 hours ago, sparrowsp said:

it work... thanks man ... :) 

Capture.JPG

hi,sparrowsp

could you upload some benchmark along with an gpu-z snapshot (wonder if gen 2 pci-e signal is stable on this laptop along with the beast adapter).I  am looking to upgrade my notebook and could one as yours be an valid option for me, also looking a thinkpad x230.

Thank you!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.