eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

On February 6, 2016 at 1:58 AM, aldimeola81 said:

I've the same PC ad yours, t530 only igpu,i5 3360m, i've used a PE4C 3.0 and a MSI gtx960 4gb.

Everything works fine on internal LCD, but if I want to use an external monitor to the egpu, I must connect it after boot or the bios will hangs. Playing over internal is not a good option, cause the LCD is too small, have bad quality , bad resolution and the system is slower than using external lcd. I've also started with the same idea but I've switched to a dell IPS 24" and I haven't any regrets.

About enclosure I use the card naked over my desk but you can make everything with plastics, wood, metal, paper ..

I've managed to make egpu working over Linux too ( external only)

Bye.

Inviato dal mio Lenovo P70-A utilizzando Tapatalk

did you have any issues, or was it as simple as assembling, plugging in with thinkpad off and booting up to install drivers? 

Dell E6510 with i5-520m

ram : 8GB 

dGPU : NVS 3100M

PE4H 2.4  with eGPU: GTX 580

[url=http://postimage.org/][img]http://s10.postimg.org/r2wihlvyx/device_manager.png[/img][/url]
It seem the eGPU is detected but does not give any output.

I want to use both the dGPU and eGPU, is that possible? Do I need Setup 1.30? 

Please help!!!

device manager.png

The only issue in windows was to boot without monitor connected, I added a mechanical HDMI switch after to not disconnect the cable at every boot, on Linux the latest version works like a charm with little mods, there is a guide online.

I have X230 with HD4000. I have used it before with PE4L since it came out and everything was working

as expected include Optimus. Then after sometime I was bored and sold the GTX card.

But today I acquired the GTX680 and decided to setup the same route I did many years ago.

Plug the card to PE4L -> Connect EC ->  Turn on the power -> Turn on X230

So, X230 is on. Everything is working except I couldn't get the Optimus to work.

I try difference driver but still no optimus. What am I missing? Need advice.

2016-02-11_19-13-52.thumb.jpg.0c8628f4e6393342c2cb591c55121133.jpg

2016-02-11_19-13-04.thumb.jpg.613f79cc3bad1aa8aa1c4919a7e48ca2.jpg

As I see the PCI speed is only 1.1, try to check into bios over power management for PCI express.. At 2.0 you will have much better result

On 10/2/2016 at 10:45 PM, EgT said:

Vsync didn't change anything it's the same stuck at 48-50fps, so your fps were limited on internal screen too? 

Screenshot (336).png

Screenshot (337).png

no, i've tried using internal laptop screen (1600x900) and the fps go up 130 in some moments, the final score is around 17500 for 3dmark 06

i've a little problem: sometimes the performance of my system go very well, sometimes not, i'm not using the battery for the computer t530 (i bought it but isn't arrived yet)

Can be a battery related that problem? the score on benchmark 3dmark 06  goes from 21500 to 17500 depending from nothing ..

On 2/12/2016 at 6:06 AM, aldimeola81 said:

no, i've tried using internal laptop screen (1600x900) and the fps go up 130 in some moments, the final score is around 17500 for 3dmark 06

Yeah something is limiting my fps and performance in general but can't find what.

On 2/12/2016 at 6:11 AM, aldimeola81 said:

i've a little problem: sometimes the performance of my system go very well, sometimes not, i'm not using the battery for the computer t530 (i bought it but isn't arrived yet)

Can be a battery related that problem? the score on benchmark 3dmark 06  goes from 21500 to 17500 depending from nothing ..

I use my laptop without battery with egpu(to preserve health) but when I use with or without, I don't see a difference in performance. I've heard that when charging and doing a intensive task on laptop the battery will be charging slower but haven't really test it myself.

On 2/3/2016 at 0:06 PM, griffinator said:

Hi all,

Hoping to get a bit of help with an eGPU setup. 

LAPTOP

Laptop: Lenovo w530

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.7GHz 

Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500G

iGPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

dGPU: NVIDIA Quadro K1000M

eGPU SETUP

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 Overclocked 2GB 128 Bit GDDR5 PCiE Video Graphics Cards GV-N950WF2OC-2GD

PSU: EVGA 500 W1 80+, 500W Continuous Power, 3 Year Warranty Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR

Adapter: [Expresscard Version] V8.0 EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock

Arrangement: See photo; 8 pin (GDC Beast-side) to 20 pin MB and 4 pin CPU; 6 pin PCI-E from ATX straight to GPU; ExpressCard/HDMI connector; GPU to a TV by HDMI

The problem

My computer never detects the card. Here is what I have tried:

(1) Computer off, plug everything in. GDC delay switch is all the way to the left. Turning on the computer, the PSU fan comes on and the GDC turns on a blue light (stays on) but the GPU fans don't spin. In Device Manager, my iGPU and dGPU show up, only. EVGA 500W should be fine, as the Gigabyte website suggests that "350W (with one 6-pin external power connector)" is sufficient.

(2) In UEFI BIOS I selected "Integrated Graphics" which turned off the dGPU, I turned Power>ExpressCard speed setting to "Generation 1" instead of automatic, and finally I disabled PCI LAN as a boot option (after reading gdc manual). I then used DDU to remove all of the nvidia drivers. I get the same result as before, blue light, no gpu fan, atx fan spinning softly, windows boots up normal. Only  the iGPU in Device manager.

(3) Finally, I did the PSU paperclip trick, to force the PSU to be on during boot up. Light is blue, no gpu fan, and then turn I on the computer and nothing new happens. Simply doesn't show in Device Manager. I had to disconnect the 20 pin connector in order to place the paperclip, but figured this was fine since the only wire coming from it to the gdc is the ground for signaling on/off.

(4) I have also do most of these options with the delay switch in the middle (7s) and right position. I have also tried plugging in the ExpressCard at odd times, like during the windows startup or while the laptop is already on.

I have not tried setup 1.3 because I am not sure what problem I have here and how this would help. Would whitelisting cause this? Everything is super new so probably there aren't any hardware issue here i suspect. I picked this adapter over the Bplus one because the banggood website lists my computer as compatible.

Please chime in if you have ideas. Thanks in advance (is this the place to post this question, even though it is about expresscard type adaptors?).

Best,

Dan

Picture1.jpg

I have now also tried a PE4C, with all combinations of sw1 sw2 switch settings. So I have now tried two adaptors.

I have now also converted from GPT to MBR with and installed Setup 1.3. 

Setup 1.3 does not detect the eGPU either.

Is my brand new GPU dead on arrival? Only thing I can think of now.

Hi.

I just thought to share this in a thread with a bit more visibility.

IMG_20160207_195104.thumb.jpg.d133c3e4a9

I think it can help people with systems where the mPCI slot is harder to access and in case they don't require a delay switch. That is the case of my Asus G46VW without thunderbolt.

Edited by Tempest

Hi all,

Hoping to get a bit of help with an eGPU setup. 

LAPTOP

Laptop: Lenovo w530

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.7GHz 

Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500G

iGPU: Intel® HD Graphics 4000

dGPU: NVIDIA Quadro K1000M

eGPU SETUP

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 Overclocked 2GB 128 Bit GDDR5 PCiE Video Graphics Cards GV-N950WF2OC-2GD

PSU: EVGA 500 W1 80+, 500W Continuous Power, 3 Year Warranty Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR

Adapter: [Expresscard Version] V8.0 EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock

Arrangement: See photo; 8 pin (GDC Beast-side) to 20 pin MB and 4 pin CPU; 6 pin PCI-E from ATX straight to GPU; ExpressCard/HDMI connector; GPU to a TV by HDMI

The problem

My computer never detects the card. Here is what I have tried:

(1) Computer off, plug everything in. GDC delay switch is all the way to the left. Turning on the computer, the PSU fan comes on and the GDC turns on a blue light (stays on) but the GPU fans don't spin. In Device Manager, my iGPU and dGPU show up, only. EVGA 500W should be fine, as the Gigabyte website suggests that "350W (with one 6-pin external power connector)" is sufficient.

(2) In UEFI BIOS I selected "Integrated Graphics" which turned off the dGPU, I turned Power>ExpressCard speed setting to "Generation 1" instead of automatic, and finally I disabled PCI LAN as a boot option (after reading gdc manual). I then used DDU to remove all of the nvidia drivers. I get the same result as before, blue light, no gpu fan, atx fan spinning softly, windows boots up normal. Only  the iGPU in Device manager.

(3) Finally, I did the PSU paperclip trick, to force the PSU to be on during boot up. Light is blue, no gpu fan, and then turn I on the computer and nothing new happens. Simply doesn't show in Device Manager. I had to disconnect the 20 pin connector in order to place the paperclip, but figured this was fine since the only wire coming from it to the gdc is the ground for signaling on/off.

(4) I have also do most of these options with the delay switch in the middle (7s) and right position. I have also tried plugging in the ExpressCard at odd times, like during the windows startup or while the laptop is already on.

I have not tried setup 1.3 because I am not sure what problem I have here and how this would help. Would whitelisting cause this? Everything is super new so probably there aren't any hardware issue here i suspect. I picked this adapter over the Bplus one because the banggood website lists my computer as compatible.

Please chime in if you have ideas. Thanks in advance (is this the place to post this question, even though it is about expresscard type adaptors?).

Best,

Dan

imageproxy.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fsslcdn.techinferno.com%2Fuploads%2Fmonthly_2016_02%2FPicture1.thumb.jpg.32d2aae31e626772e313a09680f77e95.jpg&key=3407c1a4a25ccc20d0dd181714e5be6fe5daecf0f7521d2fe803b825cfe1cc3d

I have now also tried a PE4C, with all combinations of sw1 sw2 switch settings. So I have now tried two adaptors.

In device manager you don't see any device with error 12 under graphics card when the egpu is connected? Have you well inserted the express card into the laptop? Try to check under security in bios if express card slot has been disabled.. And get back to normal supply connection,with pe4C at least the egpu must start by himself, so remove all egpu delay. Install and start lenovo system update for update your drivers and common modules, update the bios, after that, if the card will be recognized but you get error 12 you can pass to second step Bye

1 hour ago, Timilllo said:

@Tech Inferno Fan, Is it possible eGPU with a Dell 1525 ( Intel Dual Core T2390 CPU) internal screen?

Should I ask you Setup 1.3?

THANKS A LOT

Your notebook has a x3100 igpu. NVIDIA does not provide accelerated internal LCD mode for an igpu that old. Need a 4500mhd or newer.

Setup 1.30 can be acquired the if you see error 12 against the egpu when you connect it 

I have the following eGpu configuration:

HP Probook 6570b with Intel  HM76 Chipset and Intel HD4000 VGA

EVGA Geforce GTX460 FPB

PE4C V3.0 adapter

Corsair CX500M power supply

I get error code 12, even if I put only 4GB  ram into the machine. This  is laptop is running Windows 10, and I was told under Windows 10 this 32bit addressing memory problem should not cause a problem at all.

That why it is so odd. Moreover, I have a HP  620 laptop as well, that is a much less advanced machine, when I connect the eGpu to that, it works. I had to set jumpers to SW1-2 SW2-2 positions, this way, when I load Windows 7 32 bit on that laptop, put it to sleep, after waking up Windows switches to the Geforce GPU and image appears on the outer LCD, but an image also remains on the built in laptop LCD as well, and I can move the cursor from the outer LCD to the built in LCD, but on the built in image you can only see the desktop background, no menus or icons. If I don't put the laptop to sleep, Windows reports error 43.

When the jumpers are in 1-1 positions, so when the delays are switched off, there is blank screen on the  HP Probook, the outer LCD reports no signal, on the HP620 the HP startup screen appears on the laptop LCD, but the boot process doesn't continue, and no signal on the outer LCD either.

I set the jumers just randomly, don't even know what their real purpose is, because I couldn't find any description about it. Is it possible I should adjust them to get the error code 12 to disappear. It seems odd that even with 2GB of ram there is error code 12 on the Probook, I wonder if that error report is real or it is false and limited addressing memory space is not the real problem.

Any advice to get this working on the Probook?

On miércoles, 10 de febrero de 2016 at 1:09 AM, aldimeola81 said:

the card must run by himself without switch, i have the same adaptor, same power supply and no problem with my lenovo t530 and other several computer, be sure to connect the external 8pin connector to pe4c base

maybe you got a faulty pe4c or faulty dell adapter.. try with a standard atx supply for first, and watch if there are any changes, bye.

I have tried several combinations of switches to no avail, the egpu isn't detected. I'll try with setup 1.3 to see if I can get any kind of response from the PE4C, I cannot return it now as it is over a month that I got it, so I hope this works. 

Good day everyone i wich to know if i would be able to do some of that awesome eGPU modding,

Laptop: Lenovo z5070

CPU: Intel® Core Intel i5 4210U CPU @ 2.7GHz 

iGPU: Intel® HD Graphics 4400

dGPU: NVIDIA 820M

Im thinking into getting a NVIDIA GTX 960 or 970

the mPCI-e integrated in my laptop  its M.2 NGFF its the M.2 Key A Slot the right one in the image
M2-Key-A-E-SLOT.png

with this Wlan and bluetooth adapter
184974_40efc903c8a2917d069d4eb862c6979d.

I wanted to know if this PE4C V4.1 (PE4C-M2060A V4.1 ) will work
http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C%20V4.1.html   Many Thanks!!

PE4C-M2060A%20V4.1_1000.jpg

Good day everyone i wich to know if i would be able to do some of that awesome eGPU modding,

Laptop: Lenovo z5070

CPU: Intel® Core Intel i5 4210U CPU @ 2.7GHz 

iGPU: Intel® HD Graphics 4400

dGPU: NVIDIA 820M

Im thinking into getting a NVIDIA GTX 960 or 970

the mPCI-e integrated in my laptop  its M.2 NGFF its the M.2 Key A Slot the right one in the image imageproxy.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thinkpenguin.com%2Ffiles%2FM2-Key-A-E-SLOT.png&key=479adcf8ada665bbff7bef443dbace40e53616ea137605755290132478fd11d9       with this Wlan and bluetooth adapter imageproxy.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fs3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com%2Fi.applelife.ru%2F2014%2F12%2F184974_40efc903c8a2917d069d4eb862c6979d.jpg&key=704f1174e00ad99b1f4bdc6f72268e4b77929c78dd6ac8e1de3e5383d7242a78    I wanted to know if this PE4C V4.1 (PE4C-M2060A V4.1 ) will work

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C%20V4.1.html   Many Thanks!!  

imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hwtools.net%2Fjpg%2FPE4C-M2060A%2520V4.1_1000.jpg&key=e904ad4804e09270fd2b3c61fea3701e52d2597aacc0ba7fb15156b812c48a5e

The PE4C with key A/E is the right for you, but after insert the adapter is not sure it will work , as I know you are the first with that laptop model. The problems can be: not whitelisted slot, tolud.. And some of them can be very difficult to solve.. But you can try if you feel lucky, and you have spare time.

I've made a eGPU setup with a "tested" laptop and I've worked for a month for make it work almost properly.. Maybe yours will be plug and play.. Or with egpu setup software you can do a mod easily.. Bye.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi,

First, I want to specify that my English is not very good. 

Despite every attempt at the computer, I couldn't get a successful result. 

Computer specifications:

Toshiba A305-S6872
Processor: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5800

Memory: 3GB at 667MHz

Graphic: Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family
System: Windows 10

Graphic card: MSI GT430

PCI-E cable when I connect my computer won't open.
Is it possible to run?

Thanx.

Edited by Nayir

Well, I have tried with Setup 1.3 and the card isn't detected.

I have tried with different SW1 and SW2 postions, nothing detected.

I have disabled all but the one PCI port that expresscard uses (I had plugged a usb3 expansión card on the express card slot and worked) and the egpu is not detected

My model is an PE4C v3.0, tried with bot the Dell D220P and an ATX 450W PSU

Cards tested: GT 8800, GTX 560ti, GTX 750ti, all work on their own.

On the board, the D1 LED (CLKRUN) is always red while the express card is plugged.

The board never powers up on it's own, if I short the "force power on" pins on the board,

the card powers on and the fans rotate at full speed, but it isn't detected

When powered up, the D2 and D3 LEDS (3.3v and 12v) are Green, and  D4(PERST)  is red

I'm already out of options. I cannot return the PE4C V3.0, but I think it may have been defective.

I have tried on three laptops (all HP, different models) with the same symptoms.

Any other suggestion?

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 11:32 PM, aldimeola81 said:

The PE4C with key A/E is the right for you, but after insert the adapter is not sure it will work , as I know you are the first with that laptop model. The problems can be: not whitelisted slot, tolud.. And some of them can be very difficult to solve.. But you can try if you feel lucky, and you have spare time.

I've made a eGPU setup with a "tested" laptop and I've worked for a month for make it work almost properly.. Maybe yours will be plug and play.. Or with egpu setup software you can do a mod easily.. Bye.

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the questions but i cant seem to find the way to know the TOLUD, because in my case i dont find any PCI BUS its just PCI EXPRESS ROOT COMPLEX ( COMPLEJO RAIZ PCI EXPRESS, in spanish) also can i uncheck the whitelist from the BIOS??

56c56c9d70545_Capturadepantalla(5).thumb

and for last wich do you think would be a GPU card with less errors or less incompatibility issues ATI or NVIDIA???

Sorry for my bad english and for asking too many questions. MANY THANKS!!

Edited by yorcheq

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the questions but i cant seem to find the way to know the TOLUD, because in my case i dont find any PCI BUS its just PCI EXPRESS ROOT COMPLEX ( COMPLEJO RAIZ PCI EXPRESS, in spanish) also can i uncheck the whitelist from the BIOS??

imageproxy.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fsslcdn.techinferno.com%2Fuploads%2Fmonthly_2016_02%2F56c56c9d70545_Capturadepantalla%285%29.thumb.png.0b14a773b19c8982630a9eca4a7863d0.png&key=6392f7762b5d156a315783c32cbcd6b9e0700a5eed472c84200859ab3031d166

and for last wich do you think would be a GPU card with less errors or less incompatibility issues ATI or NVIDIA???

Sorry for my bad english and for asking too many questions. MANY THANKS!!

Surely you need a gtx nvidia card, as gtx960 or better, and a dell da-2 as supply, but after that you must to try what happens with your laptop, maybe for start if you have another mpci card you can try if the laptop recognize it or get an error on boot, after that you can try the egpu software by Tech Inferno Fan.

P.s. I'm not a really expert about egpu, I'm interesting about it from some month only and I have done mine only,in my opinion the egpu will work with a bit of modding but I can be wrong and the thing will go to nightmare cause you have bought several hardware and the system can't work. You need to try and see what's happens.

Well, I have tried with Setup 1.3 and the card isn't detected.

I have tried with different SW1 and SW2 postions, nothing detected.

I have disabled all but the one PCI port that expresscard uses (I had plugged a usb3 expansión card on the express card slot and worked) and the egpu is not detected

My model is an PE4C v3.0, tried with bot the Dell D220P and an ATX 450W PSU

Cards tested: GT 8800, GTX 560ti, GTX 750ti, all work on their own.

On the board, the D1 LED (CLKRUN) is always red while the express card is plugged.

The board never powers up on it's own, if I short the "force power on" pins on the board,

the card powers on and the fans rotate at full speed, but it isn't detected

When powered up, the D2 and D3 LEDS (3.3v and 12v) are Green, and  D4(PERST)  is red

I'm already out of options. I cannot return the PE4C V3.0, but I think it may have been defective.

I have tried on three laptops (all HP, different models) with the same symptoms.

Any other suggestion?

Check the soldering after 3m tape on the board, maybe some wire is disconnected , have you bended the cable? Bye

• Thumbs Up 1

On 15.02.2016. at 7:24 PM, bencuri said:

I have the following eGpu configuration:

HP Probook 6570b with Intel  HM76 Chipset and Intel HD4000 VGA

EVGA Geforce GTX460 FPB

PE4C V3.0 adapter

Corsair CX500M power supply

Any advice to get this working on the Probook?

Well, I have same laptop, but with 8GB RAM.

It works fine with GTX770.

However, I did have to do the DSDT hack, and I also use Setup 1.30 for PCI compaction.

After that, all works great, even on internal display that I'm using.

So I was previously using a GTX460 as my eGPU connected to my laptop via PE4L v2.1b. It died and I now have a GTX750Ti connected to my laptop. I bought this adapter but it doesn't seem to work. It's rated at 12V and 6A so it should meet the power requirements. The plug fits in correctly as well. So I'm currently using my Corsair CX430 power supply that I was previously using. I'm a bit ignorant about power supplies. Since the GTX750Ti requires less than half the wattage of the GTX460, does that mean the power supply won't consume as much electricity?

On 2/15/2016 at 1:32 AM, aldimeola81 said:

In device manager you don't see any device with error 12 under graphics card when the egpu is connected? Have you well inserted the express card into the laptop? Try to check under security in bios if express card slot has been disabled.. And get back to normal supply connection,with pe4C at least the egpu must start by himself, so remove all egpu delay. Install and start lenovo system update for update your drivers and common modules, update the bios, after that, if the card will be recognized but you get error 12 you can pass to second step Bye

Hi aldimeola81,

Thanks for the response. Turns out the GPU was totally DOA as I suspected. I took it to work (haha) and stuck it a desktop--still didn't work at all. Returned the GPU, was sent a new one, it worked fine right away (well after an hour of playing with pci compaction--iGPU+eGPU with eGPU forced to 32 bit is the only thing working). I was so happy to see that error 12, such an improvement over getting not even a spin of the fan. Also, thanks to nando who helped me to realize that the card was simply DOA.

Hi, hoping for some troubleshooting tips.

My setup:

• EVGA GTX 970 
  • EXP GDC 7.0A with a Dell DA-2 PSU 
  • Lenovo W530
  • Windows 10

I previously had a GTX 670 working with the same setup and some tinkering using DIY eGPU Setup 1.30, but no luck with the new 970 (so far).

When I plug in the eGPU to the power and express card slot and boot the laptop the lights turn on and the fans spin.

DIY eGPU Setup detects the card.

I perform the same steps that worked with my 670 in combination with a DSDT override (initiate eGPU, ignore dGPU, perform 32bit compaction on iGPU+eGPU, disable dGPU). There are no apparent errors.

When I chainload to Windows the GTX 970 does not appear in the device manager and is not a detected display.

I notice that when I use the "!Show State" -> "!NVidia-nvflash" command, the card is not listed ("No NVIDIA display adapters found"). It doesn't appear there after doing "Initialize" -> "eGPU" either.  

Is that absence from the NVidia-nvflash list a clue? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

SCN000.BMP

10de13c2.bin

10de13c2.bin

config.zip

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.