eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

My system:

HP Probook 4530s / i5-2450M / 8GB / HD7470M / Win10x64

eGPU: PE4C 2.1 / PSU Advance TX-750w / MSI GTX 660 TF3

I use eGPU with expresscard.

I've set EC Gen2 in BIOS. I've set Gen2 for NVIDIA in DIY 1.30 too and then I did a compaction iGPU + eGPU -> Test run.

Everything is OK, no ERROR. I can play PES2016 with my external screen.

But just in 10-15 mins later, my PC freezes, its screen goes into a black screen and never comes out of it (even after unplugging the express card).

I couldn't do anything and and hard reset only helps.

What's the problem here ? Can you help me ?

And when I tried with my internal display. I got this after 5mins imageproxy.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fsslcdn.techinferno.com%2Femoticons%2Femoticons%2Fdefault_sad.png&key=0cb11a03b2a281236b311a1616be68ccae5ffa874cec28bd1eeb39382e29a7f3

Please help...

imageproxy.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fsslcdn.techinferno.com%2Fuploads%2Fmonthly_2016_01%2FDSC_0124.thumb.JPG.8bbc278d73a91aebde21c709b11e5a19.JPG&key=03ab0326109d01bd07a1a3cb3c1dc4fa3c68bbba96431d49cf4c85770b4bb41e

My experiences suck.

GTX 760 - error 12

GTX 960 - error 12

I would like to see a real thread were we talk more about the types of gfx cards that people are using rather than laptops. 

Have you tried to monitor temperatures? Maybe the CPU go too hot?

Hi all,

Hoping to get a bit of help with an eGPU setup. 

LAPTOP

Laptop: Lenovo w530

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.7GHz 

Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500G

iGPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

dGPU: NVIDIA Quadro K1000M

eGPU SETUP

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 Overclocked 2GB 128 Bit GDDR5 PCiE Video Graphics Cards GV-N950WF2OC-2GD

PSU: EVGA 500 W1 80+, 500W Continuous Power, 3 Year Warranty Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR

Adapter: [Expresscard Version] V8.0 EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock

Arrangement: See photo; 8 pin (GDC Beast-side) to 20 pin MB and 4 pin CPU; 6 pin PCI-E from ATX straight to GPU; ExpressCard/HDMI connector; GPU to a TV by HDMI

The problem

My computer never detects the card. Here is what I have tried:

(1) Computer off, plug everything in. GDC delay switch is all the way to the left. Turning on the computer, the PSU fan comes on and the GDC turns on a blue light (stays on) but the GPU fans don't spin. In Device Manager, my iGPU and dGPU show up, only. EVGA 500W should be fine, as the Gigabyte website suggests that "350W (with one 6-pin external power connector)" is sufficient.

(2) In UEFI BIOS I selected "Integrated Graphics" which turned off the dGPU, I turned Power>ExpressCard speed setting to "Generation 1" instead of automatic, and finally I disabled PCI LAN as a boot option (after reading gdc manual). I then used DDU to remove all of the nvidia drivers. I get the same result as before, blue light, no gpu fan, atx fan spinning softly, windows boots up normal. Only  the iGPU in Device manager.

(3) Finally, I did the PSU paperclip trick, to force the PSU to be on during boot up. Light is blue, no gpu fan, and then turn I on the computer and nothing new happens. Simply doesn't show in Device Manager. I had to disconnect the 20 pin connector in order to place the paperclip, but figured this was fine since the only wire coming from it to the gdc is the ground for signaling on/off.

(4) I have also do most of these options with the delay switch in the middle (7s) and right position. I have also tried plugging in the ExpressCard at odd times, like during the windows startup or while the laptop is already on.

I have not tried setup 1.3 because I am not sure what problem I have here and how this would help. Would whitelisting cause this? Everything is super new so probably there aren't any hardware issue here i suspect. I picked this adapter over the Bplus one because the banggood website lists my computer as compatible.

Please chime in if you have ideas. Thanks in advance (is this the place to post this question, even though it is about expresscard type adaptors?).

Best,

Dan

Picture1.jpg

Edited by griffinator

Hi

I'm looking for help,

My system

HP Elitebook 8440p

Core i5 520m

8Gb ram

PE4C V3.0 ExpressCard

ZOTAC GTX 750Ti

Dell D-2 power supply.

Here's a pic of my device manager (for TOLUD)

And a pic of the leds on the PE4C V3.0, the two at the edges are red, and the two in the middle are green.

The fan of the card starts working, but apart from that, I get nothing.

No matter the combination on switches on the PE4C, the laptop doesn't detect anything. Device manager doesn't

move at all. Tried on Linux with dmesg, and I didn't detect any change on expresscard insertion.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

egpu01.png

egpu02.jpg

Edited by Cloudbyte
Additional information

Hi!

ASUS G74SX.

EGPU BEAST v. 8.3 PCI-E with PSU Dell

ASUS GTX 960 4Gb Strix

I could not make it work. The lamp on the adapter and videocard lights up, but laptop does not recognize EGPU. EGPU SETUP 1.30 and troubleshooting on forum, did not help. 

Or incompatible or defective EGPU? 

Sorry for the bad english.

Edited by AndreySy

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place, and if I am not I apologize, 

I have a Lenovo T430( I5 3320m, 8gb, intel hd 4000 only no nvidia dgpu, express 2.0)

I'm trying to figure out the most compatible setup for an EGPU while using the internal screen, which I understand is possible using an Nvidia graphics card with optimus

the card I have narrowed it down to is the EVGA branded 750ti ( I would like to play BF4 not necessarily on high but above 30-40fps average)

my questions are, 

What is the best adapter for my particular situation using the expresscard option?

if using the PE4C or another adapter that could use the  220 8 pin power unit would it be enough for the 750ti?

and finally, is there any suggestions for protecting the exposed card without buying a large case?

ideally I would want to be able to safely be able to put it into a bag to take it to work with me when needed!

thank you for any advice, I once again apologize if I posted in the wrong area!

I've the same PC ad yours, t530 only igpu,i5 3360m, i've used a PE4C 3.0 and a MSI gtx960 4gb.

Everything works fine on internal LCD, but if I want to use an external monitor to the egpu, I must connect it after boot or the bios will hangs. Playing over internal is not a good option, cause the LCD is too small, have bad quality , bad resolution and the system is slower than using external lcd. I've also started with the same idea but I've switched to a dell IPS 24" and I haven't any regrets.

About enclosure I use the card naked over my desk but you can make everything with plastics, wood, metal, paper ..

I've managed to make egpu working over Linux too ( external only)

Bye.

Inviato dal mio Lenovo P70-A utilizzando Tapatalk

Hello all.

I've got a Lenovo x230 (16 GiB RAM) with a PE4L v2.1 on ExpressCard slot. I had a 750 Ti which worked without a hitch.

Now I've plugged in a Gigabyte 970 with 4 GiB RAM. Unfortunately, any game/3dmark demo I'm running crashes the gfx card drivr after 3-10 seconds.

The entire setup has its own dedicated PSU which connects to the card and the PE4L.

Here's my nvidia sysinfo:

NVIDIA Systeminformationen-Bericht erstellt am: 02/06/2016 20:31:33
Name des Systems: FLORAWIN

[Anzeige]
Betriebssystem:    Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
DirectX-Version:    11.0
GPU-Prozessor:        GeForce GTX 970
Treiberversion:        361.75
Direct3D-API-Version:    11
Direct3D-Funktionsebene:    11_1
CUDA-Kerne:        1664
Kerntakt:        1114 MHz
Speicher-Datenrate:    7010 MHz
Speicherschnittstelle:    256-Bit
Speicherbandbreite:    224.32 GB/s
Gesamter verfügbarer Grafikspeicher:    11871 MB
Dedizierter Videospeicher:    4096 MB GDDR5
System-Videospeicher:    0 MB
Freigegebener Systemspeicher:    7775 MB
Video-BIOS-Version:    84.04.36.00.56
IRQ:            Not used
Bus:            PCI Express x1 Gen2
Geräte-ID:        10DE 13C2 36831458
Teilenummer:        G401 0010

[Komponenten]

NvGFTrayPluginr.dll        2.9.1.35        NVIDIA GeForce Experience
NvGFTrayPlugin.dll        2.9.1.35        NVIDIA GeForce Experience
nvui.dll        8.17.13.6175        NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdsync.exe        8.17.13.6175        NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdplcy.dll        8.17.13.6175        NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdbat.dll        8.17.13.6175        NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdapix.dll        8.17.13.6175        NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
NVCPL.DLL        8.17.13.6175        NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvCplUIR.dll        8.1.820.0        NVIDIA Control Panel
nvCplUI.exe        8.1.820.0        NVIDIA Control Panel
nvWSSR.dll        6.14.13.6175        NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvWSS.dll        6.14.13.6175        NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvViTvSR.dll        6.14.13.6175        NVIDIA Video Server
nvViTvS.dll        6.14.13.6175        NVIDIA Video Server
nvLicensingS.dll        6.14.13.6175        NVIDIA Licensing Server
NVSTVIEW.EXE        7.17.13.6175        NVIDIA 3D Vision Photo Viewer
NVSTTEST.EXE        7.17.13.6175        NVIDIA 3D Vision Test Application
NVSTRES.DLL        7.17.13.6175        NVIDIA 3D Vision Module
nvDispSR.dll        6.14.13.6175        NVIDIA Display Server
NVMCTRAY.DLL        8.17.13.6175        NVIDIA Media Center Library
nvDispS.dll        6.14.13.6175        NVIDIA Display Server
PhysX        09.15.0428        NVIDIA PhysX
NVCUDA.DLL        6.14.13.6175        NVIDIA CUDA 8.0.10 driver
nvGameSR.dll        6.14.13.6175        NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
nvGameS.dll        6.14.13.6175        NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

Any hints on what might be causing the crashes?

It seems to be fixed now.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/10656285?

After I swapped out the old PSU LC420H-12 for another one I had lying around CWT-550ADP it worked fine. For the LC I had to use 12V Y-cables to attach all the power ports of the 970, with the CWT I did not.

Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but it's working fine in Rise of Tomb Raider on Very High settings (barring the occasional frame drops, but that's to be expected).

I'm using a y510p:

i7-4700MQ

8gb of ram

Windows 8.1

Bplus PE4C v3.0 adapter mPCIe MSI gtx 970 graphics card

Evga 500 psu

Everything works but in most games I can't reach more than 48.9fps, e.g. Bf3, bioshock and many others. I tried lowering the graphic details in all of them the maximum fps is the same 48-49fps but the only thing that works is lowering the screen resolution to lowest.

I'm using the internal laptop screen, I know I should get lower performance but fps shouldn't be limited to 48?

What I've tried but non helped : Installing different drivers. Overcloking gpu and couldn't.

Changing nvidia global settings, like vsync, etc..

Help please! , I've have searched a lot but haven't found a fix.

Hi

I'm looking for help,

My system

HP Elitebook 8440p

Core i5 520m

8Gb ram

PE4C V3.0 ExpressCard

ZOTAC GTX 750Ti

Dell D-2 power supply.

Here's a pic of my device manager (for TOLUD)

And a pic of the leds on the PE4C V3.0, the two at the edges are red, and the two in the middle are green.

The fan of the card starts working, but apart from that, I get nothing.

No matter the combination on switches on the PE4C, the laptop doesn't detect anything. Device manager doesn't

move at all. Tried on Linux with dmesg, and I didn't detect any change on expresscard insertion.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

imageproxy.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fsslcdn.techinferno.com%2Fuploads%2Fmonthly_2016_02%2Fegpu01.thumb.png.e4c8cf9d8197530baf507b0bba6a9849.png&key=625c783093999cc8f398d92e225b2f7bd6f576495d9d8b9207b8ad3471242541

imageproxy.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fsslcdn.techinferno.com%2Fuploads%2Fmonthly_2016_02%2Fegpu02.thumb.jpg.304bdf91039a3404a244e9f7752a23cd.jpg&key=75617fa6a848b6f12eede0b1ca86cd334eae3dcdd8237ec29822b69e01a020a9

Have you tried to check over express card configuration over bios? The two switch must set at zero delay (DX) for be recognized on boot.

If the fans start to rotate slow, the card is recognized, if start spinning at full speed, doesn't, be sure of connect the external supply on 3d card directly also, bye.

I'm using a y510p:

i7-4700MQ

8gb of ram

Windows 8.1

Bplus PE4C v3.0 adapter mPCIe MSI gtx 970 graphics card

Evga 500 psu

Everything works but in most games I can't reach more than 48.9fps, e.g. Bf3, bioshock and many others. I tried lowering the graphic details in all of them the maximum fps is the same 48-49fps but the only thing that works is lowering the screen resolution to lowest.

I'm using the internal laptop screen, I know I should get lower performance but fps shouldn't be limited to 48?

What I've tried but non helped : Installing different drivers. Overcloking gpu and couldn't.

Changing nvidia global settings, like vsync, etc..

Help please! , I've have searched a lot but haven't found a fix.

The bandwith is the problem, so for optimal speed you must play over external screen, check with gpuz the speed of PCI express while the nvidia logo rotate over driver menu, if you see PCI 2.0x1 everything is OK.

2 hours ago, aldimeola81 said:

Have you tried to check over express card configuration over bios? The two switch must set at zero delay (DX) for be recognized on boot.

If the fans start to rotate slow, the card is recognized, if start spinning at full speed, doesn't, be sure of connect the external supply on 3d card directly also, bye.

I have checked for Expresscard options in bios, no useful options found.

I have the Dell D220P AC adapter for it, but the card doesn't seem to turn on (the fan remains dead)

If I connect the expresscard, I get a the PERST led turn on dimly.

If I force the powerup of the card by shorting the jumper, the card powers on, the fan spins, the 12v and 3v leds turn green and the CLK led turns brightly red, but the PERST one remains dim.

In any case nothing gets detected on the device manager (Windows 10)

I'll try with both switches on the default position (1) before turning on the laptop, don't remember if I tried that way.

Hotpluging the card doesn't work, nothing gets detected.

Should the CLK and or the PERST leds turn green at any point?, or is normal they're red?

Will the card turn on on its own when detected or I'll always have to force the power up via the board pins when using Dell D220P AC adapter?

I have tried on several laptops (all HP, but different models), in none the board gets detected.

I have tried 2 video cards GTX560ti and GTX750ti and none gets detected. The cards work on their own on desktop computers.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong....

5 hours ago, aldimeola81 said:

The bandwith is the problem, so for optimal speed you must play over external screen, check with gpuz the speed of PCI express while the nvidia logo rotate over driver menu, if you see PCI 2.0x1 everything is OK.

I've upload the gpuz screenshot. I know is not the optimum PCI express connection, but what I don't get is why limiting my fps  to 48 even in lowest graphics settings?

gpuz.gif

10 minutes ago, EgT said:

I've upload the gpuz screenshot. I know is not the optimum PCI express connection, but what I don't get is why limiting my fps  to 48 even in lowest graphics settings?

gpuz.gif

Check your lcd frequency. We've seen others note a fps cap of 60 which is consistent with a 60hz lcd. 48 would imply your lcd has a 48hz refresh rate. 

2 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Check your lcd frequency. We've seen others note a fps cap of 60 which is consistent with a 60hz lcd. 48 would imply your lcd has a 48hz refresh rate. 

It's 60hz, I sometimes oc'ed it to 80hz but I can't now with the egpu as it works with integrated too(internal screen).

6 minutes ago, EgT said:

It's 60hz, I sometimes oc'ed it to 80hz but I can't now with the egpu as it works with integrated too(internal screen).

Check your internal LCD frequency. It's the one that limits egpu fps when using Optimus egpu-accelerated internal LCD mode.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Check your internal LCD frequency. It's the one that limits egpu fps when using Optimus egpu-accelerated internal LCD mode.

I think LCD frequency and refresh rate are the same, right?

Screenshot (335).png

6 hours ago, EgT said:

I think LCD frequency and refresh rate are the same, right?

Screenshot (335).png

if you are using vsinc yes.

try to enable vsinc on the nvidia panel instead of game app.

what score do you get on 3dmark06?

but on internal at fhd resolution the 2.0x1 bandwith is too small , so that's the problem, i've suffered for same problem and playng on 24" external now.

7 hours ago, Cloudbyte said:

I have checked for Expresscard options in bios, no useful options found.

I have the Dell D220P AC adapter for it, but the card doesn't seem to turn on (the fan remains dead)

If I connect the expresscard, I get a the PERST led turn on dimly.

If I force the powerup of the card by shorting the jumper, the card powers on, the fan spins, the 12v and 3v leds turn green and the CLK led turns brightly red, but the PERST one remains dim.

In any case nothing gets detected on the device manager (Windows 10)

I'll try with both switches on the default position (1) before turning on the laptop, don't remember if I tried that way.

Hotpluging the card doesn't work, nothing gets detected.

Should the CLK and or the PERST leds turn green at any point?, or is normal they're red?

Will the card turn on on its own when detected or I'll always have to force the power up via the board pins when using Dell D220P AC adapter?

I have tried on several laptops (all HP, but different models), in none the board gets detected.

I have tried 2 video cards GTX560ti and GTX750ti and none gets detected. The cards work on their own on desktop computers.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong....

the card must run by himself without switch, i have the same adaptor, same power supply and no problem with my lenovo t530 and other several computer, be sure to connect the external 8pin connector to pe4c base

maybe you got a faulty pe4c or faulty dell adapter.. try with a standard atx supply for first, and watch if there are any changes, bye.

14 hours ago, aldimeola81 said:

if you are using vsinc yes.

try to enable vsinc on the nvidia panel instead of game app.

what score do you get on 3dmark06?

but on internal at fhd resolution the 2.0x1 bandwith is too small , so that's the problem, i've suffered for same problem and playng on 24" external now.

Vsync didn't change anything it's the same stuck at 48-50fps, so your fps were limited on internal screen too? 

Screenshot (336).png

Screenshot (337).png

Edited by EgT
added a screenshot

4 hours ago, EgT said:

Vsync didn't change anything it's the same stuck at 48-50fps, so your fps were limited on internal screen too? 

Screenshot (336).png

Screenshot (337).png

Looks like x1 pcie compression has been disabled by NVIDIA. Thats because your cpu score is as expected but sm 2.0 and 3.0 are at least half of what we've seen with x1 compression active.

Can confirm this theory by testing 3dmark06 on win8.1 with known good 350.12 driver that does x1 pcie compression.

1 hour ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Looks like x1 pcie compression has been disabled by NVIDIA. Thats because your cpu score is as expected but sm 2.0 and 3.0 are at least half of what we've seen with x1 compression active.

Can confirm this theory by testing 3dmark06 on win8.1 with known good 350.12 driver that does x1 pcie compression.

So I installed 350.12 driver and did the test again, same results.

Screenshot (339).png

50 minutes ago, EgT said:

So I installed 350.12 driver and did the test again, same results.

Screenshot (339).png

Optimus ( accelerated internal.lcd mode and x1 pcie conpression) reqd the Intel HD igpu to be active, any dgpu to be disabled in bios or using Setup 1.30 and a GTS450 or newer video card.

Pls confirm these. If any dgpu us still present then won't get the accelerated internal LCD mode or x1 pcie compression.

Your low 3dmark06 (dx9)result looks to be not using x1 pcie compression.

Can test say 3dmark11 or 13 either of which isn't as sensitive to the x1 pcie compression as they use dx11. Then see if how your result compares against similar specced machines at 

I have X230 with HD4000. I have used it before with PE4L since it came out and everything was working

as expected include Optimus. Then after sometime I was bored and sold the GTX card.

But today I acquired the GTX680 and decided to setup the same route I did many years ago.
Plug the card to PE4L -> Connect EC ->  Turn on the power -> Turn on X230
So, X230 is on. Everything is working except I couldn't get the Optimus to work.
I try difference driver but still no optimus. What am I missing? Need advice.

2016-02-11_19-13-52.jpg

2016-02-11_19-13-04.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.