eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hi guys,

i just wanted to ask if any one of u is using the  EXP GDC Beast with lenovo y510p ...

if any one is using it i want to ask what did he change exactly in the  pc "bios...." and does it work with the manufactor Bios ?

Edited by Taher_Kh

Hello.

I connect succesfully a nvidia gtx 950 to a Dell precision m4600 via expresscard with exp gdc beast.

My sistem has 8 gb of ram so i had to do a dsdt override to fix error 12 on it.

Now everything is working fine 950 and quadro 1000m.

The pcie 3 is on gen 1 and when i put it to gen 2 the laptop run but when the gpu is running a blu screen and laptop get off.

I tried setup 1.30 and i tried with retraining with no retraining, dgpu off, ignoring dgpu, etc.

Im not able to enable gen2 speed in my sistem so i think there is anything i have to know about this configuration to do it work? Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

next attempt. I got a Thinkpad T430 with an i5 3320M, 8 gigs of RAM and a 160 gigs SSD. My egpu consists of an EXP GDC, a 450 Watts PSU and a gtx670.

There are two scenarios.

1) egpu plugged in prior to booting: Windows7 boots up, but everything slows down.. High DPC spikes b/c of the egpu.. What can I do?

2) egpu plugged in after booting: Windows 7 recognizes card, but unfortunatley: Code 12. I wanted to do an DSDT override, but the instructions are not clear for me. Will the purchase and use of Setup 1.30 help?

I have set Expresscard speed to Gen1, Power management enabled.

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you.

daku

Hello Everybody!

I have problems too...

What I got:

Lenovo T520, i5 2520M, 16GB RAM

dgpu: NVS 4200M

egpu: GTX570 (tested on desktop)

PE4L 2.1b + 350W ATX

After purchasing PE4L I updated BIOS and happily connected to HD5670. Today I recovered my notebook to be sure nothing from radeon drivers left. And for few hours I'm trying to connect with my GTX570. I have no errors in device manager, Both, egpu and dgpu are visible, but still no signal on external monitor. I tried uninstalling dgpu and installing drivers in many combinations, with dgpu enabled, disabled, older drivers etc. And strangely CPU-Z is showing egpu like it shows dgpu without drivers (-250MB of memory). I wanted to try custom verde drivers but couldn't find custom nvam.inf file. Any help is appreciated. I was so happy to play some games this holiday :( ...

Bez tytułu.jpg

Hi there, I solved my issue.. I finally got the DSDT override to work.. Was pretty straightforward.

@zenek:

Imho the -250mb show that there is a rather wrong space allocation for your egpu.. Do you experience a slower PC when egpu is connected in comparison to when it is not? 

If your laptop slows down, perform a dsdt override. That solved the issue for me. Also make sure to set PCI speed in BIOS to Gen1.

30 minutes ago, dakuenjeru said:

@zenek:

Imho the -250mb show that there is a rather wrong space allocation for your egpu.. Do you experience a slower PC when egpu is connected in comparison to when it is not? 

If your laptop slows down, perform a dsdt override. That solved the issue for me. Also make sure to set PCI speed in BIOS to Gen1.

Thanks man! You are right, I felt slow down. I had problems with TOLUD and radeon hd5670, but updating bios repaired it, so I didn't thinking about dsdt anymore. But I just changed PCI Express in BIOS to GEN1 and it worked! Thank you again!

So there is no way I could have gen2? 

2 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

You need a proper Gen2 capable eGPU adapter like a PE4C V3.0 or PE4L 2.1b, both with soldered cables. EXP GDC fails Gen2, hence your BSOD and poweroff.

But I have PE4L 2.1b with soldered cables

18 minutes ago, zenek said:

But I have PE4L 2.1b with soldered cables

There is also some variation in video cards as well as the mPCIe/expresscard implementation on some notebooks. They can all add mismatching of impedance that adds reflections (noise).

One other thing that was mentioned by a user as causing Gen2 failure - disable PCIe link power management in your power profile. That's the default against the 'high performance' profile.

2 hours ago, zenek said:

Hello Everybody!

I have problems too...

What I got:

Lenovo T520, i5 2520M, 16GB RAM

dgpu: NVS 4200M

egpu: GTX570 (tested on desktop)

PE4L 2.1b + 350W ATX

After purchasing PE4L I updated BIOS and happily connected to HD5670. Today I recovered my notebook to be sure nothing from radeon drivers left. And for few hours I'm trying to connect with my GTX570. I have no errors in device manager, Both, egpu and dgpu are visible, but still no signal on external monitor. I tried uninstalling dgpu and installing drivers in many combinations, with dgpu enabled, disabled, older drivers etc. And strangely CPU-Z is showing egpu like it shows dgpu without drivers (-250MB of memory). I wanted to try custom verde drivers but couldn't find custom nvam.inf file. Any help is appreciated. I was so happy to play some games this holiday :( ...

Bez tytułu.jpg

The lack of clock info suggests to me an initialization problem. Rather than hotplugging, use the delay switches on the eGPU adapter to bypass BIOS detection AND ensure the PSU is on before the eGPU. Adapters like the EXP GDC or PE4C V3.0 try to power on only after detecting a 3.3V signal at the mPCIe/EC slot, causing a race condition. Better to bypass that by enabling it on. For ATX PSUs jumper the green and black wire on the ATX connector to do that.

12 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

You need a proper Gen2 capable eGPU adapter like a PE4C V3.0 or PE4L 2.1b, both with soldered cables. EXP GDC fails Gen2, hence your BSOD and poweroff.

I see. 

Seems that i made an error by bought exp gdc in order to save money, if i buy a PE4C V3.0 i will notice a considerable performance increase because the 5 gb speed? The card will perform better for directx 11? Its 100 $ so i am not sure it will be noticeable.

Thanks.

Edited by eldeantes

On 12/18/2015 at 4:52 AM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Pls work through https://forum.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8947-mpcie-egpu-troubleshooting-steps/ including jumpering the PSU to be always on and also test isolating pin 22 of the mPCIe adapter to bypass the BIOS detection black screen on boot.

i tried reset bios, upload latest bios...

i tried pin 22...  with it my old 9600gso is not working too...

windows is loading but no way to see egpu if no pin then black screen... 9600gso working good without pin22

i cant manage mpcie in bios.

what is difference between 9600gso(working) and gtx950(not working) gtx750 (not working).

i dont know what to try next.... and how could setup 1.3 can help me... maybe if i put here mpcie x1 then it'll work...

WhzdLcfrhds.jpg

Edited by Roman

Problem description
1. What's the problem?

1: I can't get my gpu to display on another monitor despite the fact that device manager says my gpu is running fine. 

2:Additionally gpuz can't give much info on the status of my gpu.

3:Geforce experience also doesn't seem to be working properly. 

4:When I attatch my monitor to the gpu, nothing shows up and everything is displayed on my internal LCD. I tried both display ports.
2. Have you consulted the Troubleshooting FAQ to resolve the issue?

Yes. I've also consulted this guide for my laptop model.
3. Have you consulted the Pre-Purchase FAQ --> "2. How can I check if my notebook is compatible with an eGPU?"

Yes. It has an express card
Platform Description
1. OS

Windows 10 64 bit
2. System

Lenovo Thinkpad W540
3. RAM

16gb
4. eGPU used

PE4l v 2.1b  (expresscard) trying to run a GTX480
5. PSU specification (especially the +12V max current)

500W EVGA

Diags

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39783300/diag.rar

My startup.bat should be inside

Edited by billz12oz

32 minutes ago, billz12oz said:

Problem description
1. What's the problem?

1: I can't get my gpu to display on another monitor despite the fact that device manager says my gpu is running fine. 

2:Additionally gpuz can't give much info on the status of my gpu.

3:Geforce experience also doesn't seem to be working properly. 

4:When I attatch my monitor to the gpu, nothing shows up and everything is displayed on my internal LCD. I tried both display ports.
Diags

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39783300/diag.rar

My startup.bat should be inside

Bill, I notice two related things:

1. You are not disabling your NVidia dGPU in your startup.bat. Do this by going to Setup 1.30 -> Video cards->dGPU [off] then hit F3.

2. You may have NVidia mobile/Quadro + desktop/Geoforce drivers installed.  This usually results in one of them not functioning properly.  Proceed to remove ALL NVidia drivers, use "DDU" to clear the registry of NVidia entries and disable auto driver install, then load the latest NVidia desktop driver for your eGPU.

25 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Bill, I notice two related things:

1. You are not disabling your NVidia dGPU in your startup.bat. Do this by going to Setup 1.30 -> Video cards->dGPU [off] then hit F3.

2. You may have NVidia mobile/Quadro + desktop/Geoforce drivers installed.  This usually results in one of them not functioning properly.  Proceed to remove ALL NVidia drivers, use "DDU" to clear the registry of NVidia entries and disable auto driver install, then load the latest NVidia desktop driver for your eGPU.

Hi Nando. I tried your suggestion. I ran DDU and cleaned my laptop of all nvidia entries. I then booted into eGPU setup and made sure my dGPU was being disabled by pressing f3 when I highlighted over the dgpu [on] option. I then ran my startup and made sure my dgpu was off. I then installed the drivers and everything is still the same. Same issues.

I do have another question: the first line in my startup.bat is "call iport dGPU off" doesn't that turn off my dgpu?

Here is the entirety of my startup.bat

call iport dGPU off
call vidwait 60 
call vidinit -d %eGPU% 
setpci -s 4:0.0 BASE_ADDRESS_5=2001
setpci -s 0:1c.2 1c.b=20 1d.b=20
call pci 
:end
call chainload mbr

6 hours ago, billz12oz said:

Hi Nando. I tried your suggestion. I ran DDU and cleaned my laptop of all nvidia entries. I then booted into eGPU setup and made sure my dGPU was being disabled by pressing f3 when I highlighted over the dgpu [on] option. I then ran my startup and made sure my dgpu was off. I then installed the drivers and everything is still the same. Same issues.

Try the following startup.bat instead. Here I've commented out the vidinit and I/O port allocation and changed your port to Gen1 link speed. Ensure you change the 'insert_eGPU_port_here' text with your eGPU hosting port number shown in the STATUS window. If still problematic then pls email me .

call speedup lbacache
call iport dGPU off
call vidwait 60
if NOT '%eGPU%'=='' goto found_eGPU
call wait_e 60 "No eGPU detected"
goto end

:found_eGPU
:: call vidinit -d %eGPU%
call iport gen1 insert_eGPU_port_here
call pci
:: setpci -s 4:0.0 BASE_ADDRESS_5=2001
:: setpci -s 0:1c.2 1c.b=20 1d.b=20

:end
call chainload mbr

So I recently got myself a EXP GDC egpu adapter and a zotac NVidia GeForce gtx 960. I plugged everything in with a Corsair 1000w PSU and Connected the adapter to my mPCIE slot. No errors show up but once booted up and logged in there is nothing in the device manager. However when I go in my modded bios it says there is an external video device. Can anyone help me here?

Thanks in advance!

Lenovo p500/z500 specs (My specs)

Processor:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3250M @ 2.90GHz

Memory: 16 gb ddr3

Graphics cards: Both integrated: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, and NVidia GeForce GT 740M

Samsung Solid State Drive

i hav3e a problem with diy egpu 1.3 not picking up my egpu any ideas on what mught be causing it or are there any good walk throughs that last more than 15 seconds and go a little more in depth im new at this and could use a bit of an explanation please help

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio vpcf12hfx (i7 720, GT330m, express-card) running windows 10. A couple days ago I managed to get an EGPU ( 750ti using pe4h v3.2 ) working. Today when I turned it on the laptop on with the GPU, the GPU was making screeching noises but everything still worked. A couple hours later when I turned it on again the system would crash and reboot whenever I did something mildly intensive like open a browser.

Anyone know what might cause this? I was thinking lack of power but I'm using a 120w laptop adapter and the 750ti max draw is somewhere around 60w. 

Any help is appreciated.

On 12/26/2015 at 7:17 PM, eerie_noizez said:

i hav3e a problem with diy egpu 1.3 not picking up my egpu any ideas on what mught be causing it or are there any good walk throughs that last more than 15 seconds and go a little more in depth im new at this and could use a bit of an explanation please help

Explained at https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/2141-12-dell-e6230-hd7870gtx660x4gbpsc-ec2-pe4l-21b-win7-Tech Inferno Fan/&do=findComment&comment=34182

with relevant snippets copied below. Though keep in mind the EXP GDC Beast tries to do power management. Ie: power up the ATX or Dell DA-2 *after* detecting the expresscard slot signal.

This can cause issues with detection since the the eGPU should be powered on *before* the PCIe CLREQ/CLKRUN signals asserted. Easiest workaround there is to jumper the PSU to be permanently on:

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8441-%5Bguide%5D-switching-atx-psu-using-paperclip-trick-swex.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion.html

--------------------------------

Software Setup 

Some unique features of the Dell E6230

Hide contents
  • It has a dynamic TOLUD. Initially it had a TOLUD of 3.5GB, however, upon the bios detecting the powered eGPU on bootup it changed TOLUD to 3.25GB. If you happened to have performed a DSDT override with TOLUD=3.5GB to get the eGPU functional, as I did, then when the bios had changed to TOLUD=3.25GB you'll see a bootup BSOD. The only fix was to reinstall Win7 from scratch. 

• The eGPU becomes primary video device if detected by bios on bootup. The maximum 6.9s PCI Reset Delay on the PE4L isn't sufficient to prevent the bios from seeing the eGPU. There the bios sets the primary video device to be the eGPU, disables the iGPU and results in only x1 2.0 performance rather than x1 2.0 with pci-e compression (x1.2Opt). This is useful only for my purposes as it allows x1 1.0 and x1 2.0 testing without the pci-e compression engaged. The workaround is a manual start the eGPU after bios boot as described below to get x1.2Opt performance.

• The expresscard slot is set to Gen2 (pci-e 2.0) as the default link speed. No bios option exists to downgrade the link to Gen1 (pci-e 1.x) speed in case you are using older pci-e 1.x specced PE4H 2.4 or PE4L 1.5. You'd need for Setup 1.1x to do that. For best performance it is recommended to use Gen2-capable PE4L-EC060A 2.1b DIY eGPU hardware instead.

Starting the DIY eGPU on a Dell E6230

Hide contents
Once TOLUD has been set to 3.25GB, the DIY eGPU implementation on a Dell E6230 with a PE4L-EC060A 2.1b is plug-and-play. Here's how:
  1. DO THIS ONCE! Attach the EC2C end of the PE4L to the E6230, power on the eGPU, power on the E6230. This will change TOLUD in the bios from the default of 3.5GB to 3.25GB. You'll know when this is done successfully as the PCI BUS entry in Device Manager->View Resources by connection will now show CFA00000 instead of DFA00000 as shown. This change appears permanently set - going into the bios and choosing 'Load Defaults' does not change TOLUD back to 3.5GB. 

2. Manually start the eGPU after the bios has booted to get full x1.2Opt performance. Do this by powering on your E6230, halt Win7 load with the F8 key, attach the EC2C end of the PE4L if it's not already attached, power on the eGPU from the SWEX switch and continue Win7 loading. 

3. If it's the first time Win7 sees the eGPU then will be detected as Standard VGA. There are no error 12 or USB ports disabled issues with the E6230. Proceed to load the latest NVidia desktop video driver. Disable NVidia High Definition sound to maximize video bandwidth. 

4. OPTIONAL: use sleep-resume method. Boot Win7, sleep Win7, attach eGPU via expresscard slot and power it on, resume Win7. If a LCD is attached to the eGPU then make it the Main Display in Display Properties to output accelerated graphics to it. NOTE: this method does not allow Optimus to output accelerated graphics to the internal LCD - the eGPU must be detected on bootup for that. Note: you must set the PCI Reset Delay slider to the 0 second (disabled) position for this to work successfully.

5. OPTIONAL for eGPU overclocking: Install MSI Afterburner.

Hi, Everyone. I'm wondering if someone could find me the guide for "Panzer Fuse Bypass" since all the links that I found are dead.

I've been using the eGPU system started by Nando4 since the 2011.

Recently, I've been having problems playing SC2 Legacy of the Voids.

I get black screen of death after a few minutes of playing with sounds in the background.

I'm pretty sure the problem is the eGPU system since the game works fine on the laptop without the eGPU albeit in much lower quality.

Then, I found out about the bypass issue in the troubleshooting FAQ.

I don't know which version of PE4H I have since the receipt from Harmonics Inversion Tech doesn't specify any, but I'm assuming it's an older version.

Could someone be kind enough to point me where I can find the guide for the panzer fuse bypass?

Also which cable would you recommend to buy as backup nowadays as the link for dealextreme is dead.

FYI, my system is Dell e6520, Intel HD3000, GTX 560 TI, setup 1.X .

Hello everybody,

Greetings to everybody from Estonia.

I am new to this forum and also new to the eGPU community. I have opted for the eGPU probably for similar reasons than you.

Here is where I stand. Having had some recommendations from some links on the internet and fellow enthusiasts from Estonia, I have assembled a following setup:

Laptop:

Dell Latitude e6420 

Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM 
8GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
256GB Samsung PM830 SSD 
14" WSXGA 1600x900 
Intel® HD Graphics 3000 

Windows 7 Professional

eGPU:

Cooler Master 130 Elite 
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 ACX Classified 
PE4L-EC060A 
Seasonic G-550

Bitfenix Recon

Yesterday, I booted it up and all the fans started working at full speed. Then I plugged it into the computer and nothing happened. After restarting, the fans slowed down but still nothing. Can you guys point me to right direction? :)

4 minutes ago, Z3PHYR said:

Can someone plese explain why my nvidia 960 is hidden in devicee manager and dosent display anything? It sometimes works but when i reboot this happens 8f05fb4cad39df3533c15c3b2a932966.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Pls work through https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8947-mpcie-egpu-troubleshooting-steps/

Was a little help means I bought this laptop Beast EXP GDC Independent External Video Card Dock and then I bought this NVidia GT 630 2GB GV-N630-2GI ei bought this EGPU setup e and now I have put in graphic EXP GDC so I joined all the this power supply LC Power Office 500W (LC500H-12V2.2) e and now I have this express card or Mini PCI-e Cable is when i connect the laptop express card is turned on and everything is working. Signs without EGPU setup works and begin to instaliravati drivers of graphics and that is whether it is normal that it is a normal process that you do not need a setup or EGPU. It is the Lenovo X201 is now whether it was normal to me now laptop only works on Nvidia grfickoj do not need the more graphic and if it's possible that I do not need dodnati monitor but to use his monitor of a laptop I would sOMEONE clarify it for me that now because I lost it for

EGPU 2.jpg

EGPU 1.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.