eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

I detected egpu enabling all pci ports and disabling port 1 (broadcom), this way i get my egpu detected by the program so i think that trobleshooting stemps are not usefull to me now, my problem now is that i am not able to save those settings on startup.bat to make it auto when i run DIY setup 1.3.

I made a lot of progress tonight just by myself hahahaha

At the bottom of Setup 1.30 -> menu-based is printed "F3 - Save". So Hit F3 after a command to add it to your startup.bat. The software also comes with context sensitive help. Hit F1 over a menu to get help on it. The function keys including F3 are also explained there.

At the bottom of Setup 1.30 -> menu-based is printed "F3 - Save". So Hit F3 after a command to add it to your startup.bat. The software also comes with context sensitive help. Hit F1 over a menu to get help on it. The function keys including F3 are also explained there.

I really want to thank you for helping me, that was obvious and I didn't even see it because I'm so tired. You also answer so fast. You do a really good job man. And sorry for being a n00b doing this things.

• Thumbs Up 2

Pls email me for specific system troubleshooting. Email address is at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-previously-setup-1-x.html#post27337 .

Huge thanx nando,...actually i came across the electric taping article and thought it might not be the prob.But yes, lol...i was wrong:08:,so a slap for myself...

:Banane08: Its working now in the 1st attempt itself.Time to do some heavy testing with the Egpu now.

• Thumbs Up 1

1) driver problem: uninstall nvidia drivers with driver cleaner (eg driver sweeper from guru3d) and try install with lastest nvidia driver.

2) hardware problem: install the GTX 760 on a desktop and see if it works. and get another graphics card(I recommend a card using diffrent core, eg. GK106(gtx 660)) and install it on egpu to determine whether the egpu is bad or not.

3) BIOS problem: if there is no good after you done 1) and 2), the problem is on your motherboard BIOS or its design.

4) PCIe link speed: go bios setup and see if there is menu called like 'expresscard speed' or something, and if the menu exists, try set to Gen1.

maybe you already done with all of 1~3, I guess, hope 4) helps.

the 4) worked on Thinkpad X220.

Hi there.

I've been using my X220T with Gygabyte GTX 970 4 GB for a while until two days ago I couldn't.

my problem looks almost identical to this one: Lenovo X230T partial success only I've been using the eGPU with 16 gb RAM from day one, and until recently it worked just fine (with modified BIOS)

whenever I connect the expresscard slot I get immediate mouse lag, sharp drop in performance and CPU load over 90%

no new device icon appears in tray area, and NVIDIA drivers software does not detect it

the worst of it is, that it only started happening two days ago for no apparent reason, I have already rolled back to a week-old restore point and even tried taking out one of the RAM sticks to see if maybe BIOS magically un-flashed itself, but to avail so far.

the fan spins up, the lights go green and otherwise everything looks fine

hope I did not omit anything useful

your help\advice is greatly appreciated

PC Specs:

Machine: X220T Intel Core i7-2620M 2.7 GHz

Memory: 2x8gb Kingston

BIOS: 1.40 modded by Oleh

GPU: Gygabyte GTX 970 4 GB

Adapter: PE4C 3.0 ExpressCard

PSU: Cooler Master B500 v.2

+12V 38A 456 W

Cooler Master: B500 ver.2

SIW Report:

SIW_PLAGUE_2015111.txt

EDIT:

Here's the same problem, makes me glad I'm at least not the only one.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/10754-lenovo-x230t-egpu-problems-working-now-not.html

this really seems like something that occurs only on Lenovo X220 - 230 Series laptops\tablets.

Yesterday I managed to detect my egpu but today doing exactly the same I'm not able to do it, is there any possibility about not getting same results doing same things?

P.D.: I even need mental help, I played Pacman in egpu setup for 15 minutes, it helped me to calm me down...

EDIT: I DID IT, my error was that i moved position of my EXP EDG Beast to another one.

I trust myself and trasted nando to pay him 25$ to try if setup 1.30 could help me. I think that i did a good job but that was all thanks to you nando.

To all the people who has any doubts about if setup 1.30 is gonna be worth it, buy it right now, it is amazing and nando helps you a lot.

Only one more question, will i be so capped with x1 pci speed? i think that i can't go further with my chipset....

• Thumbs Up 2

So I might not get a response due to the forum noob factor. Didn't want to open a whole new thread

I'm not a complete noob however, I haven't been dabling in the world of laptops since doing my degree so I've been out of the loop.

Now Im looking for work :P, but was curious about getting this crazy eGPU setup going on for my very old workhorse.

Looking at what I've got, I was wondering with how much difficulty do you guys think I'd have implementing an eGPU setup as 1x, 1xe, 2x or if it's feasible at all with what I've got.

A very old M1710, based on the E1705 Inspiron Mobo. Some similarities to the Precision series, this is way before optimus a nd a bit before ivy bridge existed.

I know there's limitations, just need some expert advice if it's doable.

I believe my TOLUD is 3.25GB, may be over that. Found posts telling me how to find out weren't as direct as needed.

I have a very old 32 bit chipset, i945PM northbridge with ICH7 southbridge, 4GB ram. WinXp, will grab win 7 64bit

Expresscard v 1 and mini-pci-e wifi are on here at the least.

Reason Im interested is I simply can't fork out more than 400$ right now, and I don't need the best graphics, just adequate.

My other option is slapping another video card in the laptop directly and hooking up an external inverter to power the display on (3600m / 8800GTS) alot easier but wouldn't be as awesome. (though pciex16 at least)

If anyone can point me in the direction of someone who HAS got an eGPU working with a similar situation please just post a link or something.

Appreciate any advice, I'll keep reading, the more I read about it though the more confused I get :P (minus getting the premise of what's going on).

If I did this setup I would of course use the setup 1.30 for a small donation :), looks like amazing work.

Hi, TechInferno

I've been using GTX 970 4 GB with my X220T for about two months until recently it just stopped working for, seemingly, no reason whatsoever

quick search gave me these two:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/10754-lenovo-x230t-egpu-problems-working-now-not.html

Lenovo X230T partial success

which is fantastic, because the issues I'm having are almost identical:

Whenever I connect the eGPU (PE4C v 3.0 ExpressCard) I get a sharp and immediate drop in performance, heavy mouse lag and CPU load jumping around 75 - 100% and the GPU is not detected in the device manager

This looks a lot like what has been happening to people with 16 GB RAM on X220-30 Thinkpads, only I've been using eGPU with 16 GB from day one (after flashing a custom BIOS) and it was just fine, besides, taking out one of the sticks doesn't help either.

Already rolled back the drivers, restored the system into a state from a week back - nothing.

My Specs:

Machine: Lenovo Thinkpad X220T Intel Core i7-2620M

RAM: 16 Gb (two Kingston 8 GB sticks)

BIOS: Modified (whitelist removed) 1.40

Adapter: PE4C v. 3.0 EC

iGPU: HD3000

eGPU: Gygabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB

PSU: Cooler Master B500 v.2 (500W) +12v: 38A 486W

Here's an SIW report, if that helps:

SIW_PLAGUE_2015111.txt

This really looks like (I hope at least) a firmware\software issue, and I'm definitely not the first or the only one facing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Floodgates

Hi guys Im grateful if you can help me clear some confusion (I am a total noob at egpu)

Does "4Gbps-mPCIe2" mean that the GPU is connected through a mPCie ver 2.0 x1 at 4Gbps bandwidth? Or the number 2 means 2 mPCIe x1 slots?

Because according to Hwinfo I have 3 mPCIe x1 slots (one for USB 3.0 I guess, one for the WLAN card), I am wondering if I can use 2 mPCIe x1 slots to increase the bandwidth (I dont mind using external wifi).

Would be even more grateful if you can link me to some posts explaining all the jargons or a post that implements the eGPU by 2 mPCIe x1 slots

I want to get a eGPU, and my tolud is 0xC0000000 for my PCI-E Root Complex, but my wireless adapter's memory range is 0xD0780000 and I want to put the eGPU in my wireless adapter slot. Does the wireless adapter's memory range effect tolud? 0xD0780000 is very close to 3.25gb, because it is 3.26gb. Will a eGPU still work in that slot without the 36-bit override? Here is a picture of my devmgmt.msc: post-40817-14495001204719_thumb.jpgAny reply will be perfect!

I want to get a eGPU, and my tolud is 0xC0000000 for my PCI-E Root Complex, but my wireless adapter is 0xD0780000 and I want to put the eGPU in my wireless adapter slot. 0xD0780000 is very close to 3.25gb, because it is 3.26gb. Will a eGPU still work in that slot without the 36-bit override? Here is a picture of my devmgmt.msc: [ATTACH=CONFIG]16553[/ATTACH]Any reply will be perfect!

You only have a very small PCIe config space aperture locked in by the BIOS of 3.00-3.258. It isn't possible to get an iGPU+eGPU working with that, long with say the NVidia Optimus accelerated internal LCD mode dependenant on the iGPU working. You'll need a DSDT override to get it all working.

Or if using Win8.1 can use Setup 1.30 software to hijaak the iGPU space and cause error 12 against the iGPU instead of the eGPU. This is only a partial solution. DSDT override is the better way to go.

You only have a very small PCIe config space aperture locked in by the BIOS of 3.00-3.258. It isn't possible to get an iGPU+eGPU working with that, long with say the NVidia Optimus accelerated internal LCD mode dependenant on the iGPU working. You'll need a DSDT override to get it all working.

Or if using Win8.1 can use Setup 1.30 software to hijaak the iGPU space and cause error 12 against the iGPU instead of the eGPU. This is only a partial solution. DSDT override is the better way to go.

Okay, thank you. So, my pci-e bus doesn't have enough resources to run the eGPU and Intel IGPU?

Okay, I'm stuck on the DSDT override. Can you walk me through? Show me what to download and what to change? I've been up all night with no success... time to finally sleep. Hopefully you can help me with this. Also I have Toshiba bios 5.10 if you need it.

PCI compaction and changes to Chainloader->mode are automatically saved to startup.bat Any other functions hit F3 (says F3-!Save in status line) after then to add the equivalent command to startup.bat.

thank you so much!

One more thing is, I'm currently using GTX750Ti, works like a charm. However I wanna give a try with my R9 270X but it seems to be difficult as after installing driver, my pc restart but could not boot into windows (I disabled dgpu, config allocation with DIY setup) until I pull the ExpressCard out of my laptop, is there anything wrong with my DIY config or the AMD gpu itself hard to run as a egpu?

Can you tell me detailed step by step how to do the DSDT override? It's not working when I try it myself. Most pages over it don't give enough detail.

Can you tell me detailed step by step how to do the DSDT override? It's not working when I try it myself. Most pages over it don't give enough detail.

DSDT override is explained in detail with links if need more help at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html#post102517

I really need help with a DSDT override. I will post my Device Manager with all of my devices (memory). I stayed up all night last night trying to do a DSDT override with no success. I have iasl and asl. I also have a DSDT editor, but I don't know: 1.exactly what to put after Dword 2. How to fix all errors 3. How to get Large Memory to show up in Device Manager. Please someone tell me a specific way to DSDT override that applies to my devices? The eGPU I'm going to use is a Nvidia GT 640.post-40817-14495001205149_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

How can I tell that DSDT override has worked? And how do I enter it into the registry? With the Qword text, what do I put as the numbers(0x00000000)?

I followed the instructions here although I understand they're 2 years old. All of the steps made sense and were easy to complete. I do have the DIY eGPU setup 1.3.

I'm in Windows 10 now with the drivers installed. It recognizes the GTX960 but says Windows has stopped this device because it reported an error. In events it says:

> Device PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1401&SUBSYS_32011462&REV_A1\4&16c2da34&0&00E2 requires further installation.

Driver version is 10.18.13.5900.

I'm unable to start Nvidia Control Panel. Any ideas?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.