eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Thanks, this is useful - I'll have a read now. They seem like they will be priced above the W series which is about as much as I'd like to go if possible (£1100~).

As a W520 owner, do you have an eGPU setup yourself?

Hello guys,

I really need help with EXP GDC Beast mPCI-E (this thing is really getting on my nerves ... today i bought a second laptop HP ProBook 4540s just hoping that i will get it to work)

I am trying to hook up R9 280x, and actually was able to get it detected in device manger in my bro Lenovo y580. But his bios is unlocked and i was able to change few settings.

The problem:

1. I turn on the GPU

2. I turn on the laptop

3. After few seconds (usually during windows bootup) the fans of the card spin 100%

4.The bios is very limited. (PXE - Disabled, Switchable graphics -Enabled)

Tried to sleep the computer ... same thing happens. I played with the delay switches ... no luck again.

I installed another wireless card (atheros) on the slot and had no problems with its detection, which leads me to believe the issue is not whitelist.

I also have a custom laptop with Pegatron A15 motherboard (both platforms are HM76)... again limited bios options and the eVGA does the same thing.

I tried to find unlocked bioses for both laptops... no luck. I even spent a couple of days trying to mod the bios for the Pegatron ... no luck

Will Nando's setup 1.3 help in any way? Any suggestions/recommendations?

Hi I am new to the forum,

I am working on an eGPU project. I have a PE4C GEN 3 I purchased on ebay and a gateway ml6725 with an express card slot. currently running windows 8.1 64 bit.

I cannot get my laptop to detect the egpu even though everything to do this works fine (EXpress slot, gpu, pe4c). I started with a DSDT override to make sure I can host it but cannot get by step 6, It says this command is not recognized or /loadtable is not a command. Is there a typo or am I missing something. I am running the command prompt inside the folder that contains the dsdt file in question. Please help so I can continue my egpu project and get this thing running. Thanks for your help.

Hello guys,

I really need help with EXP GDC Beast mPCI-E (this thing is really getting on my nerves ... today i bought a second laptop HP ProBook 4540s just hoping that i will get it to work)

I am trying to hook up R9 280x, and actually was able to get it detected in device manger in my bro Lenovo y580. But his bios is unlocked and i was able to change few settings.

The problem:

1. I turn on the GPU

2. I turn on the laptop

3. After few seconds (usually during windows bootup) the fans of the card spin 100%

4.The bios is very limited. (PXE - Disabled, Switchable graphics -Enabled)

Tried to sleep the computer ... same thing happens. I played with the delay switches ... no luck again.

I installed another wireless card (atheros) on the slot and had no problems with its detection, which leads me to believe the issue is not whitelist.

I also have a custom laptop with Pegatron A15 motherboard (both platforms are HM76)... again limited bios options and the eVGA does the same thing.

I tried to find unlocked bioses for both laptops... no luck. I even spent a couple of days trying to mod the bios for the Pegatron ... no luck

Will Nando's setup 1.3 help in any way? Any suggestions/recommendations?

Try a couple of things to get eGPU detection:

1. Boot with wifi card into Windows, sleep system, swap wifi card for mPCIe eGPU adapter and ensure eGPU is powered on, resume system. Do a device manager scan in Windows. Is the eGPU detected?

2. Boot with wifi card into Setup 1.30. *carefully* hotplug the eGPU adapter in place of wifi card. Hit F5 to rescan the PCIe bus. Is the eGPU detected?

3. Set the CTD/PTD delays on the eGPU adapter. Boot with eGPU adapter in wifi slot into Setup 1.30/Windows. Is the eGPU detected?

If not, then there is one other thing that can be done. Jumper the PSU so it's permanently on. Depending on the PSU you are using refer to the following doco on how to do that. What that does is prevent a race condition ensuring the eGPU is powered and ready to go when the mPCIe CLKRUN signal starts.

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8441-%5Bguide%5D-switching-atx-psu-using-paperclip-trick-swex.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion.html

If you still don't get detection then test the video card and eGPU adapter in another machine to confirm neither is faulty.

Hi I am new to the forum,

I am working on an eGPU project. I have a PE4C GEN 3 I purchased on ebay and a gateway ml6725 with an express card slot. currently running windows 8.1 64 bit.

I cannot get my laptop to detect the egpu even though everything to do this works fine (EXpress slot, gpu, pe4c). I started with a DSDT override to make sure I can host it but cannot get by step 6, It says this command is not recognized or /loadtable is not a command. Is there a typo or am I missing something. I am running the command prompt inside the folder that contains the dsdt file in question. Please help so I can continue my egpu project and get this thing running. Thanks for your help.

Your eGPU isn't being detected therefore no point in doing any exercises to correct error 12 against the eGPU driver. Instead, suggest work through http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2129-diy-egpu-troubleshooting-faq.html

Try a couple of things to get eGPU detection:

1. Boot with wifi card into Windows, sleep system, swap wifi card for mPCIe eGPU adapter and ensure eGPU is powered on, resume system. Do a device manager scan in Windows. Is the eGPU detected?

2. Boot with wifi card into Setup 1.30. *carefully* hotplug the eGPU adapter in place of wifi card. Hit F5 to rescan the PCIe bus. Is the eGPU detected?

3. Set the CTD/PTD delays on the eGPU adapter. Boot with eGPU adapter in wifi slot into Setup 1.30/Windows. Is the eGPU detected?

If not, then there is one other thing that can be done. Jumper the PSU so it's permanently on. Depending on the PSU you are using refer to the following doco on how to do that. What that does is prevent a race condition ensuring the eGPU is powered and ready to go when the mPCIe CLKRUN signal starts.

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8441-%5Bguide%5D-switching-atx-psu-using-paperclip-trick-swex.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion.html

If you still don't get detection then test the video card and eGPU adapter in another machine to confirm neither is faulty.

Your eGPU isn't being detected therefore no point in doing any exercises to correct error 12 against the eGPU driver. Instead, suggest work through http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2129-diy-egpu-troubleshooting-faq.html

Thank you Tech Inferno Fan!

Actually yes i think i never tried to hotswap wi-fi card in sleep mode. I only tried powering the GPU when the laptop is asleep :)

One other thing ... this PSU is the first one that i see that is NOT starting with short circuited pins (I have done the trick on 10+ PSUs) ... it is OCZ Stealth Extreme 600W (i saw tests and they were able to squeeze 730W+ out of it/ 980W at the wall). But the damn thing wont start with short circuited pins. So i have its 24 pins attached to a desktop motherboard and everything else connected to the 280x and the EXP GDC. I start it by shorting the pins on the motherboard ( i think the PSU has some sort of protection and requires all the 24 pins to be connected).

Anyway i don't think that is the problem. I always turn on the GPU before powering the laptop and by the noise of the fans i see the system is trying to detect it but after few unsuccessful attempts (the fans just go few times at higher revs but not 100%) and then they go full speed 100% and there is little hurricane on my desk :).

On Lenovo 580y i was able to get it to work with just few tweeks in BIOS ... like PEG enabled / SG (Switchable Graphics Enabled). But i don't have access to these option on neither HP ProBook 4540s nor my custom Pegatron A15.

I found my way.

Set delay SW1, from 1 --> 2

boot into setup 1.3

choose pcie compaction --> choose igpu

test startup bat

run chainloader

test startup bat again

run windows

Done :)

Btw, dell released XPS 15 with i7 6700HQ, GTX 960M and TB3 via usb-c

I hope someone to review that notebooks with Atikio thunderbolt. :)

post-34411-14495000921112_thumb.jpg

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd?oc=cax15w10ph1631&model_id=xps-15-9550-laptop&l=en&s=bsd
  • Thumbs Up 1

hello friends

i have EXP GDC Beast i want use gtx 970 do it works ? help pls

İ7 4. gen

16 GB DDR3 Ram

Nvidia GT 750 M 4 GB

1 TB (1000 GB) HDD

17.3 inch screen

Previous gen V3-771G worked with eGPU http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/9762-17-acer-v3-771g-gtx980ti%404gbps-mpcie2-exp-gdc-beast-win7-64-%5Brgpu%5D.html#post131272 . We don't have a V3-772 eGPU implementation as yet. However, that guide may help you along and maybe yours will be the first for this newer machine?

Hi

i have set up my egpu and external monitor and everything works fine except a minor issue. the external monitor will switch off and egpu will stop (i know this because the fan stops) for a few second and both turn back on again with the message appearing on the screen saying "display driver had stopped responding and recovered"

i know this is not much of a problem but i would like it fixed because it can be annoying.

Window 10

lenovo y510p

Geforce 755m

egpu: gtx 970

helps would be appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

this happens for every 20 minutes(on average)

Can you test with DVI or DP?

And how are you powering the eGPU? Could be a power issue.

cheers, i will try. i dont think its a power issue since i have cx600m which is enough to power gtx 970

Hi

i have set up my egpu and external monitor and everything works fine except a minor issue. the external monitor will switch off and egpu will stop (i know this because the fan stops) for a few second and both turn back on again with the message appearing on the screen saying "display driver had stopped responding and recovered"

i know this is not much of a problem but i would like it fixed because it can be annoying.

Window 10

lenovo y510p

Geforce 755m

egpu: gtx 970

helps would be appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

this happens for every 20 minutes(on average)

Sounds like a Gen2 glitch, or if using a EXP GDC V6, a known problem it has with sporadic power loss. Suggest try a PE4C V3.0 with better Gen2 reliability or downgrade your link to Gen1 and test further. Can use Setup 1.30 to do the downgrade: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-previously-setup-1-x.html

Sounds like a Gen2 glitch, or if using a EXP GDC V6, a known problem it has with sporadic power loss. Suggest try a PE4C V3.0 with better Gen2 reliability or downgrade your link to Gen1 and test further. Can use Setup 1.30 to do the downgrade: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-previously-setup-1-x.html

i use EXP GDC unfortunately, can you say in more detail about how to downgrade from Gen2 to Gen1?

Thank you

i use EXP GDC unfortunately, can you say in more detail about how to downgrade from Gen2 to Gen1?

Thank you

Use Setup 1.30's PCIe Ports->Gen1 menu to downgrade your link to Gen1. See http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-previously-setup-1-x.html for acquisition details.

Hello,

I need you help about using the internal display. I got my setup mounted and running. Here are the specs:

HW Used:

- Zbook G2 with HD4600 and dedicated NVidia K1100M + Thunderbolt 2

- Akitio Thunder2

- MSI 970 Gaming

- 500W SFX Modular PSU powering both PCI and Akitio Barrel

Software:

- Windows 10 with latest Nvidea drivers

- latest intel drivers

Problems and doubts:

- I've disabled the controller for the dedicated K1100M. I only have the HD4600 and 970 GTX.

- However, even with 970 defined as default physics , the benchmark tools (like 3dmark and unigine) still use HD4600.

- I went ahead and used a HDMI cable from 970 GTX to monitor. Still, the default bench would use hd4600

- I disabled HD4600 - meaning only 970 is there - benchmark runs ok external screen. Internal screen is still on as extended (and I cant seem to find the place for disable this)

In other words, what am I missing here?

- How to use my internal screen?

- How to use external screen but disable extended mode? Its so weird. I'm used to configure multi displays with display port in my office and I have 4 screens. I'm felling really stupid by not finding this.

Thanks!

Hello,

I need you help about using the internal display. I got my setup mounted and running. Here are the specs:

HW Used:

- Zbook G2 with HD4600 and dedicated NVidia K1100M + Thunderbolt 2

- Akitio Thunder2

- MSI 970 Gaming

- 500W SFX Modular PSU powering both PCI and Akitio Barrel

Software:

- Windows 10 with latest Nvidea drivers

- latest intel drivers

Win10 and/or the latest NVidia drivers have buggered up the accelerated internal LCD mode. Pls check for user progress on this issue at or bypass it all together by downgrading to Win8.1 [and maybe 350.12 drivers]

REF: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/10563-egpu-window-10-optimus-mode-problem.html

Win10 and/or the latest NVidia drivers have buggered up the accelerated internal LCD mode. Pls check for user progress on this issue at or bypass it all together by downgrading to Win8.1 [and maybe 350.12 drivers]

REF: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/10563-egpu-window-10-optimus-mode-problem.html

OMG :\

Thanks a lot Tech Inferno Fan !!!

I was hitting on the wall already.

So, seems like I will need to install 8.1 instead...... :\ And use older drivers......

Hi again Tech Inferno Fan

Just did a scratch install with windows 8.1 + latest Nvidia drivers and the system works like a charm.

Using internal LCD of my laptop (optimus is working) I achieve 5100 GPU score on firestrike extreme / 4800 total with 970 MSI Gaming :bananadoggywow:

Therefore.... im wondering if this is really a NVidia topic... since I used the same driver version (just selected different OS).

I don't believe that compiling for windows 10 would make the difference.

I'm more thinking about Microsoft issue or even the intel drivers...!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys,

GTX 550TI project abandoned! It was not my card.

Intel Core i7-2630qm @ 2ghz
HM65: gen=2, p=8 [email protected]
DSDT:no using_devcon_txt:yes
PCIw: no all_alloc: yes* [512MB]

iGPU=8086:0116 (Intel)

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] 1b73:[email protected] (Fresco)
[email protected] 10ec:[email protected] (RealTeK)

My spec: i7-2630qm, Intel HD3000 + GT550m + R9 390X, hm65 chipset, 8GB ram, tolud (2.25GB), Exp GDC Beast, win10x64.

PCI dump: pcidmp.txt

Update with an R9 390X:

With unlocked bios things are getting interesting.

I set my tolud to 2.25GB, enabled hotplug on port2 and disabled my dGPU i can now see the eGPU with the sleep-plug-wake trick.

With this card bios hangs on POST screen so i start the system without the eGPU connected.

DSDT override done and working, with Setup 1.3 i moved the iGPU to the Larg Memory Space and it works fine.

The main issue now is windows doesn't care about the 32bit and 36bit free memory spaces and i can't manually assign it becase Setup1.3 doesn't detect the eGPU.

I tried the compact 36bit igp -> chainload -> dos mode -> iport bridge 2 ~CBBFF... 2020 -> chainload but it just creates a dummy memory allocation under PCI Express Root Complex, os never associates it with the eGPU.

I think Setup1.3 doesn't recognize the eGPU because when i hotplug it the fans stand still, maybe the radeon card needs something else to start but i have no idea how can i emulate better the sleep-plug-wake method in the Setup 1.3 screen. I've tried all the port related stuff in setup.

BTW, the AMD High Definition Audio Bus works flawlessly, i can imagine its a self conflict.

Update:

Paperclip PSU, sleep-wake egpu in windows to get detected, reboot and disconnect hdmi cable to get past the POST screen. Boot into Setup 1.3 and it still not get detected so my previous idea was wrong because the egpu fans are in normal state using this method.

This is a fairly broad question, but does anyone know of a relatively modern Lenovo Thinkpad that has stable, decent performance eGPU implemention from the X/T/W series of their laptops?

I had planned on getting a W451~ that has TB2 with the hope of using an Akitio enclosure, but I can't find anyone who has used it successfully.

Looking at the X/T series, the EC implementations all seem to take *huge* performance hits, especially when using the internal display (which I what I hope to use).

TLDR; anyone know a Thinkpad X/T/W with a stable, decent performance TB or EC implementation?

EDIT: in terms of GPU I'm open, but would prefer to use a GTX 970 of some description.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.