eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Your TOLUD is more than ok. It's the last PCI Express Root Complex entry on your first screenshot.

"Currently running at PCI-Express x1 2.0" is also what you want although your GPU-Z screenshot shows x1 1.1 but I guess you hadn't put load on your GPU at that moment. If you press on the "?" button to the right of the bus interface section you get a little popup window which shows graphical stuff. At bus interface there should then stand x1 2.0 instead of x1 1.1, you might test this.

Apart from this I'd also say the problem is due to the PCIe connection either because the x1 2.0 is not stable or your adapter is faulty. You'd need Setup 1.x to force a x1 1.1 connection instead of 2.0. I had a Haswell Asus notebook and I simply couldn't get it to work with x1 2.0 connection and the x1 1.1 that I got to work was way too sloppy.

Ok, first of all, thank you so much for all the help. Secondly, under load it runs at PCI-Express x1 2.0 (I'm guessing good news). Also, how do I get my hands on setup 1.x or 1.3?Not sure if I mentioned before that it takes 2 boots to get the system running, the first boot just shows a black screen, is this important? Finally, I'm trying to get the dock replaced because it came with a slight dent in the PCI slot, so if that comes about we can rule out faulty adapters.

Besides all that, where the jumpy image is my main concern. I still have concerns that it isn't running at its full potential for some reason. I understand it wont run nearly as well as it would in a PC, but why are people getting much higher benchmarks than me with the same card if my TOLUD and PCI-E port are the correct spec?

Hi Everyone, I have Lenovo Y50. I want tou use external GPU such as Geforce 970/980/980TI. Is my notebook compatible to use external gpu?

my notebook has wireless lan card atheros AR956x. i do not know what kind of m2 or NGFF. please suggest devices that i need to use external gpu?

thanks.

Hi Everyone, I have Lenovo Y50. I want tou use external GPU such as Geforce 970/980/980TI. Is my notebook compatible to use external gpu?

my notebook has wireless lan card atheros AR956x. i do not know what kind of m2 or NGFF. please suggest devices that i need to use external gpu?

thanks.

It depends on whether or not your lan card uses PCI-E or not (which I might assume it does). But nevertheless do some digging on what port your wireless card uses. The only versions of eGPUs I know of are express card or PCI-E. The EXP GDC Beast has models for both, but there are other companies that do different solutions. Do some research and see whats best for you.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks.

It depends on whether or not your lan card uses PCI-E or not (which I might assume it does). But nevertheless do some digging on what port your wireless card uses. The only versions of eGPUs I know of are express card or PCI-E. The EXP GDC Beast has models for both, but there are other companies that do different solutions. Do some research and see whats best for you.

- - - Updated - - -

My notebook uses M2 mpci express. what version of GDC Beat is work properly by my notebook?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

My notebook uses M2 mpci express. what version of GDC Beat is work properly by my notebook?

So right now I have working egpu as posted earlier : Akitio thunder2, an ATX PSU and an EVGA 660sc. It's working fine but I'm curious of the power it consumes and can handle, the gpu has only one 6-pin connector, so I have that and the Akitio power supply powering everything, I have a powered riser cable on the way, so my question is- should I use the powered riser + 6 pin + Akitio PSU? Or leave as is? Or should I use the powered riser + 6 pin and no Akitio PSU? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So right now I have working egpu as posted earlier : Akitio thunder2, an ATX PSU and an EVGA 660sc. It's working fine but I'm curious of the power it consumes and can handle, the gpu has only one 6-pin connector, so I have that and the Akitio power supply powering everything, I have a powered riser cable on the way, so my question is- should I use the powered riser + 6 pin + Akitio PSU? Or leave as is? Or should I use the powered riser + 6 pin and no Akitio PSU? Thanks in advance

Do not(!) use a powered riser, they're not recommended and cause instability. Buy a Dell DA-2 PSU and this cable -> Akitio Egpu 8 Pin to 2 x PCI E 6 Pin Male and 1 x ID 2 5mm OD 5 5mm Barrel | eBay

Then you fire up graphics cards up to 220W. GTX 970s are running fine with it for example.

If you don't live in the USA and you don't want to import that cable, then just buy 2 6 pin PCIe splitters (1 6 pin PCIe -> 2 6/8 pin PCIe).

And don't fire that GTX 660 with the Akitio PSU, you're probably torturing it as it only has 60W. It's strange that it's running at all.

Do not(!) use a powered riser, they're not recommended and cause instability. Buy a Dell DA-2 PSU and this cable -> Akitio Egpu 8 Pin to 2 x PCI E 6 Pin Male and 1 x ID 2 5mm OD 5 5mm Barrel | eBay

Then you fire up graphics cards up to 220W. GTX 970s are running fine with it for example.

If you don't live in the USA and you don't want to import that cable, then just buy 2 6 pin PCIe splitters (1 6 pin PCIe -> 2 6/8 pin PCIe).

And don't fire that GTX 660 with the Akitio PSU, you're probably torturing it as it only has 60W. It's strange that it's running at all.

Thank you for this~ as far as firing the 660 with the Akitio PSU , i also have a 750w ATX PSU connected to the cards 6 pin ~ I plan on getting a 970, so I'll definitely look into what you suggest

Laptop Specs:

Lenovo Z710

Intel i7-4710MQ 2.5GHz

8GB Ram

1TB HDD

Nvidia 840M

Windows 10

Egpu Specs:

PE4C-PM060A V3.0

Nvidia GTX560Ti

Now the issue I have, I can get all the GPU's to show up fine in device manager and If i play a game it will use the 840M, However I cant change what card I use as it wont allow me to load the Nvidia control panel. Here is a screenshot of my GPUz and device manager.

jiw7Pwj.jpg

Is there something I'm missing here? I have wiped all the drivers and made sure there was nothing left on the system and used to latest DESKTOP drivers with no luck. Any ideas?

post-37671-14495000673586_thumb.jpg

Laptop Specs:

Lenovo Z710

Intel i7-4710MQ 2.5GHz

8GB Ram

1TB HDD

Nvidia 840M

Windows 10

Egpu Specs:

PE4C-PM060A V3.0

Nvidia GTX560Ti

Now the issue I have, I can get all the GPU's to show up fine in device manager and If i play a game it will use the 840M, However I cant change what card I use as it wont allow me to load the Nvidia control panel. Here is a screenshot of my GPUz and device manager.

jiw7Pwj.jpg

Is there something I'm missing here? I have wiped all the drivers and made sure there was nothing left on the system and used to latest DESKTOP drivers with no luck. Any ideas?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15753[/ATTACH]

Are you running an external monitor? Have you tried right clicking on the 840m and disabling it?

P.S. Pretty sure its not a driver issue as your system is showing it in device manager as the right card. If you have done a clean install of your drivers, that pretty much eliminates it any driver issues

Hi Mate, Thanks for the reply. I have tried to disable the 840m and I still cant load the manager and all games revert to the onboard Intel. If I plug a monitor into the external card I get no display.

It's windows 10... I had the same issues, I installed windows 8.1, everything worked fine.

It's windows 10... I had the same issues, I installed windows 8.1, everything worked fine.

Hmm do we know why it does it but? It must be driver related then surely as the OS core is mostly the same.

Hi.

My eGPU setup:

Nvidia GTX 980 Ti (reference)

Corsair VS450

AKITIO Thunder2 PCIe Box\

MacBook Pro Retina 16GB 650M.

Software:

Windows 8.1.

MSI Afterburner.

Latest Nvidia drivers.

Problem:

When i trying to play any game my external monitor goes to black screen. Sometimes it goes black when i just started the game, sometimes when i played a game for hour(less or more). I think my PSU does not give enough power to eGPU, isn't it?

Hi.

My eGPU setup:

Nvidia GTX 980 Ti (reference)

Corsair VS450

AKITIO Thunder2 PCIe Box\

MacBook Pro Retina 16GB 650M.

Software:

Windows 8.1.

MSI Afterburner.

Latest Nvidia drivers.

Problem:

When i trying to play any game my external monitor goes to black screen. Sometimes it goes black when i just started the game, sometimes when i played a game for hour(less or more). I think my PSU does not give enough power to eGPU, isn't it?

How are you powering the Akitio? Riser or barrel plug mod? Akitio PSU(I don't hope so)? The VS450 should deliver enough as reference needs only 1 x 8 pin and 1 x 6 pin PCIe plugs(makes 300W together as max. consumption by PCIe specifications) and not 2 x 8 pin like most of the gaming custom models where the PSU might come too short.

After installing the drivers for the 750ti, we uninstall the built-in GPU, now the device manager is showing the eGPU as working correctly.

The laptop doesn't seem to use the adapter even though it is plugged-in, has correct drivers and is working properly.

Additionally the nvsvc service is running, but the Nvidia control panel is not working(not opening on double-click).

attachment.php?attachmentid=15813&d=1440147972

What is possibly my problem right now?

Will a DSDT override solve my current problem?

Thanks in advance.

post-38160-14495000682105_thumb.jpg

Hi everybody! My name is Damian, and I have a Dell Latitude E6430

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits

8 Gbs RAM

dGPU Nvidia NVS 5200M

PE4H EC2C

eGPU Nvidia GTX 960 4Gb

I'm getting de Error 12, and a user from this forum told me that i can Down the TOLUD with UEFI variables,to make work.

Can anyone tell me how can i do that? I have minumum knowledge en computers.

Thak you! And sorry for the english!

I'm from Argentina

Hi everybody! My name is Damian, and I have a Dell Latitude E6430

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits

8 Gbs RAM

dGPU Nvidia NVS 5200M

PE4H EC2C

eGPU Nvidia GTX 960 4Gb

I'm getting de Error 12, and a user from this forum told me that i can Down the TOLUD with UEFI variables,to make work.

Can anyone tell me how can i do that? I have minumum knowledge en computers.

Thak you! And sorry for the english!

I'm from Argentina

You don't have to download anything. All you need to do is set the boot to "thorough" in the bios, and start the laptop with the egpu on and plugged in.

You don't have to download anything. All you need to do is set the boot to "thorough" in the bios, and start the laptop with the egpu on and plugged in.

He would need to set his ExpressCard port to ran @ x1 1.0 (he is using PE4H gear). Right?

That's why I suggested to use UEFI variables or setup 1.x

He would need to set his ExpressCard port to ran @ x1 1.0 (he is using PE4H gear). Right?

That's why I suggested to use UEFI variables or setup 1.x

Oh I missed that. Yes he would.

He also needs to run setup to disable the dGPU for Optimus to work.

Thank you both...I'll have to buy the setup for optimus work..

You should really have a pci-e 2.0 capable adapter. Even with optimus you'll find that overclocking the 5200M will provide smoother gameplay than the 960 with an x1 1.1 link in some games.

Hi everyone

I'm wondering about pcie 1.0 v pcie 2.0 different performance on egpu.

And PE4C 3.0 have been released, I want buy it.

Could you post or give a link for the benchmark ?

I've seen the benchmark on E6230 from your post, but I want more than.

Thank you

So tonight me and my girlfriend are both playing games on our laptops when the weirdest thing happened.

When I unplug my eGPU from my laptop, her laptop makes the hardware disconnect sound.

She's on Windows 10 playing a game, I was on OS X messing around with my eGPU, I power down my laptop, unplug my thunderbolt and her laptop makes the sound. I plug it back in, no sound, I unplug it again, her laptop makes the sound. Every time.

The only way our laptops are connected is via a power strip (4 plugs = her laptop, my macbook, my eGPU, external display)

When she disconnects her laptop from the power, my thunderbolt stops making her laptop make the sound. But Windows on her laptop doesn't make the disconnect sound when she unplugs her power cable (I don't think any Windows laptop make the disconnect sound for power, only peripherals).

So somehow, there is a connection via the power cables between our laptops that is making her laptop think something is being disconnected (but doesn't make a sound when it is connected).

It's such a bizarre thing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.