eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Please explain how you got it to work. I am stumped. I have tried everything i could think of... :C

well here are my steps:

- i used the "bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON" cmd (not sure if it is needed though, it was for wind8)

- follow this video

for easy steps for the override

- to get the .aml table, use the -f option with the "iasl" cmd

I'm not sure at which part you're stucked but I'll try to help :)

well here are my steps:

- i used the "bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON" cmd (not sure if it is needed though, it was for wind8)

- follow this video

for easy steps for the override

- to get the .aml table, use the -f option with the "iasl" cmd

I'm not sure at which part you're stucked but I'll try to help :)

Okay thank you sooo much i will give this a try and get back to you. I had it going for 7 so easy i didnt think updating to 10 would be an issue.

EDIT: Okay i am lost with this video and the links are either broken or to files that are non existent. Did you need to download what he did in the video?

Got windows 10 fixed and had egpu working in some sort of test mode. I only switched out of that when my games could not (or would not) launch do to Driver signature check verification being disabled. Im not really sure how i enabled test mode but it displayed a version : Build 10240 in the bottom right.

And coyote im going to give the DSDT override another shot. Will be posting my results, seeya.

Hello,

My question is - how do I forbid Optimus turning off dGPU or disable Optimus at all (I have no graphics options in BIOS)?

Yesterday I upgraded to Windows 10 and installed Nvidia Driver for Windows 10. Everything seems to be the same as on Windows 7, both dGPU and eGPU (and ofcurse iGPU) are showing up in Device Manager and no hardware problems are present. But, when I try to set dGPU as PhysX processor - it does not let me, when I try to set dGPU as PhysX processor it switches back to eGPU automatically.

I think the cause of the problem is that on Windows 7 I had Optimus disabled. But on Windows 10 I have Optimus enabled and I did not find a way to disable it to rule Optimus as possible cause of the problem.

I can confirm that dGPU is only briefly turning on when it is being accessed (like when I want to see info in MSI Afterburner, or when I want to see driver details, or when I scan for new hardware) and then powering off after 2-3 seconds.

Hello there!

First of all, thank you for this great forum. After is stumbled upon this forum i wanted to try an egpu setup myself.

I shouldnt of done that :P

My rig:

Deviltech laptop

i7 720qm

5870m, 8gb, win 7

I bought a beast egpu and fitted an 7850 (from my desktop) on there. Fired it up. In device manager it shows its there!

And there it holds. Its there, but i cant do anything with it. According to amd program its a secundaire gpu, but its disabled. I cant get it enabled!

When i just swith the 5870m (internal) off i get a blank screen. After reboot it says there is no amd gpu installed (device manager says otherwise)

GPU-Z says it there. When both cards are switched on i see all details in gpu-z (bandwith etc etc) when i switch off the 5870m (internal) it still shows the 7850 (egpu) but no details.

Question: Can i run the 7850 on internal lcd?

Or do i have to buy an nvidia card?

Regards Dennis

Hello there!

First of all, thank you for this great forum. After is stumbled upon this forum i wanted to try an egpu setup myself.

I shouldnt of done that :P

My rig:

Deviltech laptop

i7 720qm

5870m, 8gb, win 7

I bought a beast egpu and fitted an 7850 (from my desktop) on there. Fired it up. In device manager it shows its there!

And there it holds. Its there, but i cant do anything with it. According to amd program its a secundaire gpu, but its disabled. I cant get it enabled!

When i just swith the 5870m (internal) off i get a blank screen. After reboot it says there is no amd gpu installed (device manager says otherwise)

GPU-Z says it there. When both cards are switched on i see all details in gpu-z (bandwith etc etc) when i switch off the 5870m (internal) it still shows the 7850 (egpu) but no details.

Question: Can i run the 7850 on internal lcd?

Or do i have to buy an nvidia card?

Regards Dennis

Hey,

If you have a quick look in the pros and cons at the beginning of this thread I think you might find the answer to your question. I'm pretty sure you have to do a little trick to get AMD cards to run on the internal LCD.

Unfortunately I'm new here and don't have enough experience to tell you what your enabling problem might be. But here's the link that's given in the pros and cons to do with the LCD.

DIY eGPU experiences - Page 52

Woosypan

Maybe the PSU has less power that it says and it's more important quality than power. Here you can read some guys whom have problems until the change the psu.

Give it a try ;)

Hey, I tried with a 750w and everything worked flawless, thanks for the advice!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey,

If you have a quick look in the pros and cons at the beginning of this thread I think you might find the answer to your question. I'm pretty sure you have to do a little trick to get AMD cards to run on the internal LCD.

Unfortunately I'm new here and don't have enough experience to tell you what your enabling problem might be. But here's the link that's given in the pros and cons to do with the LCD.

DIY eGPU experiences - Page 52

Woosypan

Cheers for the reply! This forum is crammed with usefull information. My prob is i cant get the question in a right search format :P

Ive gotten myself a gtx 465 from the scratch chest... Seems to be working (didnt expect that). Think this will be easier to get on internal lcd :)

Hi guys,

I have 1 asus g53sx laptop and I want to use it with the gtx 750ti, but I dont know that my laptop can work with the vga or not, and if yes could someone shows me how to setup the system, what tools I need?

hi @Tech Inferno Fan i already have use eGPU with my gtx 970 but ignore the setup 1.30 but i saw this setup can make more performance with x4. While i want to use x4 it only port 1 and port 5 but both failed, how can i switch my eGPU is port 2x2.0 or 4x2.0

Port 1 and 8 is empty and port 3,7 is disable

post-35773-14495000625189_thumb.jpg

hi @Tech Inferno Fan i already have use eGPU with my gtx 970 but ignore the setup 1.30 but i saw this setup can make more performance with x4. While i want to use x4 it only port 1 and port 5 but both failed, how can i switch my eGPU is port 2x2.0 or 4x2.0

Port 1 and 8 is empty and port 3,7 is disable

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15694[/ATTACH]

If you have electrical links to support x2 (port1+2, port3+4, port5+6 or port7+8) or x4 (port1+2+3+4, port5+6+7+8), then need to unlock the flash descriptor and modify the bios using the FITC utility as described at http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods-2.html#post130202. Only then can the port run at x2 or x4 speed.

If you have electrical links to support x2 (port1+2, port3+4, port5+6 or port7+8) or x4 (port1+2+3+4, port5+6+7+8), then need to unlock the flash descriptor and modify the bios using the FITC utility as described at http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods-2.html#post130202. Only then can the port run at x2 or x4 speed.

Tks nando but is have another way to support??

Hello all,

I just recently managed to set up my GTX 670 as an eGPU, so thats good news :D .

Here's a quick look at whats going on.

post-37462-1449500062689_thumb.jpg

eGPU set-up:

Dock : EXP GDC Beast (mini PCI-e)

GPU : Asus 2GB GTX 670

Power supply : Dell DA-2 220W

Monitor : 32" Sony TV

System:

15" Acer V3-571G

Processor : i5-3230m 3.2 GHz Dual

RAM : 8GB Vengeance

Integrated GPU: HD4000

Dedicated GPU: GeForce 710m

Graphics driver : 353.62

@Tech Inferno Fan

I'm having some real issues with performance. My card is recognised, the monitor is running fine, there are no errors in device manager and the card is clearly doing work because it heats up. However, my 3dmark11 score is in the low 6000s and 3dmark doesn't recognise it as a 670. Performance in game is also terrible. I've been looking through @kizwan 's thread and cant find anything related. The only thing wrong is a black screen on boot, which a reboot solves. Please help. Thanks in advance.

EDIT : From what I've read eGPU setup 1.3 MIGHT solve my problem but I have an SSD so I have no partition type. Is this a problem? Is there a way to get it running without eGPU 1.3?

post-37462-14495000627518_thumb.png

post-37462-14495000627207_thumb.jpg

@Woosypan

from the screenshot you posted, 3Dmark ran the test on the 820m not the 670....although it's a 710m you have?

Optimus should kick in and disable the dedicated gpu, and the egpu should take place.

I don't understand how this works really (i don't have a dGPU) but my guess is that you'll need a dsdt override and/or the setup 1.3.

Hi,

i have a problem with my egpu an i hope someone can help me with it.

I have a lenovo x230t with an nvidia gtx 670. I conecctet them with a PE4L V2.1 with Expresscard and an 550Watt beQuiet power supply.

This config runs without any problems for about a year. Here and there some restarts and hotplugs if it doesent start at once but it worked 99% of the time.

But since a few weeks it doesn't work anymore. If i plug in the epxresscard before i start the laptop, between the boot and windows or with windows already running: the cpu usage get extremly high, Service Host: Local system (network restricted) and System Interrupts, eat the most usage and also windows stutters extremly, the mice pauses it movement every 1-2 seconds and so on. I tried a lot to solve this but nothing helped: i set up a clean windows installation a few times with just the needed drivers installed, i reduced the RAM from 8gb to 4gb, checked the gpu in another computer where it worked without any problems and also deletet the iGPU drivers.

When it worked the sequence was to start the egpu, plug it in, start the laptop than, if it worked, the laptop turned off automatically but in 3-4 seconds turned on again and it worked.

Now when he turns off automatically it seems that he is in some kind of endless loop and the display remains dark. This or the previous mentioned stutters. Also the Laptop doesn't recognize the eGPU in the device manager only the iGPU is visible.

If someone has an idea what I can do to get it working I would be very grateful.

Hello all,

I just recently managed to set up my GTX 670 as an eGPU, so thats good news :D .

Here's a quick look at whats going on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15702[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15701[/ATTACH]

eGPU set-up:

Dock : EXP GDC Beast (mini PCI-e)

GPU : Asus 2GB GTX 670

Power supply : Dell DA-2 220W

Monitor : 32" Sony TV

System:

15" Acer V3-571G

Processor : i5-3230m 3.2 GHz Dual

RAM : 8GB Vengeance

Integrated GPU: HD4000

Dedicated GPU: GeForce 710m

Graphics driver : 353.62

@Tech Inferno Fan

I'm having some real issues with performance. My card is recognised, the monitor is running fine, there are no errors in device manager and the card is clearly doing work because it heats up. However, my 3dmark11 score is in the low 6000s and 3dmark doesn't recognise it as a 670. Performance in game is also terrible. I've been looking through @kizwan 's thread and cant find anything related. The only thing wrong is a black screen on boot, which a reboot solves. Please help. Thanks in advance.

EDIT : From what I've read eGPU setup 1.3 MIGHT solve my problem but I have an SSD so I have no partition type. Is this a problem? Is there a way to get it running without eGPU 1.3?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15703[/ATTACH]

What have you been playing? Some games are very sensitive to small bandwidth of the graphics card. However, your 3DMark11 score should be fine. The review by Futuremark states 9550 points for the GTX 670 which is most probably reached with a quadcore CPU. Also you're losing performance by the small bandwidth. You've only got 1/16th of the bandwidth that a graphics card with x16 PCIe 2.0 has, always keep that in mind. Your mobile "only" dual core is also decreasing the physics score which is then decreasing the whole score.

Check if you've got actual x1.2 connection or only x1.1 with GPU-Z under load. You can use Furmark for this or GPU-Z itself, there's a button on the main window that pops up a small graphics application that puts your card under load.

@Woosypan

from the screenshot you posted, 3Dmark ran the test on the 820m not the 670....although it's a 710m you have?

Optimus should kick in and disable the dedicated gpu, and the egpu should take place.

I don't understand how this works really (i don't have a dGPU) but my guess is that you'll need a dsdt override and/or the setup 1.3.

A 820M would never reach anything near this score. Futuremark states 1210 points for this card.

What have you been playing? Some games are very sensitive to small bandwidth of the graphics card. However, your 3DMark11 score should be fine. The review by Futuremark states 9550 points for the GTX 670 which is most probably reached with a quadcore CPU. Also you're losing performance by the small bandwidth. You've only got 1/16th of the bandwidth that a graphics card with x16 PCIe 2.0 has, always keep that in mind. Your mobile "only" dual core is also decreasing the physics score which is then decreasing the whole score.

Check if you've got actual x1.2 connection or only x1.1 with GPU-Z under load. You can use Furmark for this or GPU-Z itself, there's a button on the main window that pops up a small graphics application that puts your card under load.

A 820M would never reach anything near this score. Futuremark states 1210 points for this card.

I've been playing some CS:GO, and with decent settings it doesn't run above 100 constantly (which it should do no problem) and full settings are jumpy (other setting can be jumpy too). I haven't played any other games really but the bench marks were seriously low fps, not one was above 60 and the physics was max 12 fps (I know this comes down to my CPU a lot).

The problem I have with it all is that if you look at the other implementations of my GPU the lowest 3dmarks are in the 7000s and someone running a very similar laptop to me got it over 9000. I think my processor might actually be a little better than his too.

I understand the bandwidth issue and I'm trying to find out if I'm 1.1 or 1.2 but I can't see it in gpu-z. My question is, how can I improve the whole situation? There is setup 1.3 and there's Verde mod drivers that I can see, but what's best for me?

I've been playing some CS:GO, and with decent settings it doesn't run above 100 constantly (which it should do no problem) and full settings are jumpy (other setting can be jumpy too). I haven't played any other games really but the bench marks were seriously low fps, not one was above 60 and the physics was max 12 fps (I know this comes down to my CPU a lot).

The problem I have with it all is that if you look at the other implementations of my GPU the lowest 3dmarks are in the 7000s and someone running a very similar laptop to me got it over 9000. I think my processor might actually be a little better than his too.

I understand the bandwidth issue and I'm trying to find out if I'm 1.1 or 1.2 but I can't see it in gpu-z. My question is, how can I improve the whole situation? There is setup 1.3 and there's Verde mod drivers that I can see, but what's best for me?

Look at "Bus interface" like in this picture:

post-17006-14495000631002_thumb.gif

Is your TOLUD ok? Forget about any Verde or whatever drivers. You only need the usual Nvidia desktop drivers.

Look at "Bus interface" like in this picture:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15714[/ATTACH]

Is your TOLUD ok? Forget about any Verde or whatever drivers. You only need the usual Nvidia desktop drivers.

Right so I've had a look at both things and I cant find any specific examples of device managers looking like mine. So here's some screenshots I took.

post-37462-14495000634294_thumb.png

So I have no idea what my TOLUD is or if there's anything I can do about it. Also, when I hover over the bus interface it says 'currently running at : PCI-Express x1 v2.0'. To be honest the frame rate on max settings is actually staying above 100 at the moment, not sure it would for long. But the picture can be stuttery or jumpy at times which is a big problem and this is down to the pci-e port isn't it? I guessing both these things I have shown are bad, but is there a way to deal with the jumpy issue and improve performance?

post-37462-14495000665752_thumb.png

Right so I've had a look at both things and I cant find any specific examples of device managers looking like mine. So here's some screenshots I took.

So I have no idea what my TOLUD is or if there's anything I can do about it. Also, when I hover over the bus interface it says 'currently running at : PCI-Express x1 v2.0'. To be honest the frame rate on max settings is actually staying above 100 at the moment, not sure it would for long. But the picture can be stuttery or jumpy at times which is a big problem and this is down to the pci-e port isn't it? I guessing both these things I have shown are bad, but is there a way to deal with the jumpy issue and improve performance?

Your TOLUD is more than ok. It's the last PCI Express Root Complex entry on your first screenshot.

"Currently running at PCI-Express x1 2.0" is also what you want although your GPU-Z screenshot shows x1 1.1 but I guess you hadn't put load on your GPU at that moment. If you press on the "?" button to the right of the bus interface section you get a little popup window which shows graphical stuff. At bus interface there should then stand x1 2.0 instead of x1 1.1, you might test this.

Apart from this I'd also say the problem is due to the PCIe connection either because the x1 2.0 is not stable or your adapter is faulty. You'd need Setup 1.x to force a x1 1.1 connection instead of 2.0. I had a Haswell Asus notebook and I simply couldn't get it to work with x1 2.0 connection and the x1 1.1 that I got to work was way too sloppy.

Got a thunder2. Threw an EVGA 660 in it. Single 6pin from a psu + akitio adapter = working great in windows 8.1.

I had trouble in windows 10, Optimus apparently isn't working. But after going back to 8.1 it worked perfect

Bf4 on high @ 1440x900 on 2015 retina mbp 13" 50-70 fps on internal monitor

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.