dGpu: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5145

Adapter: PE4C-PM100C

PSU: Old laptop charger (19V 3.42A

Hi, my system is an acer 5755g with

Igpu Intel 3000

Dgpu (deactived) GT 540M

Egpu gtx970.

Unbranded psu 400 W

Two days ago I installed my egpu and the error code 12 appeared. I used setup 1.30 for PCI Compaction and egpu was recognized without problem. The problem is that when i start a software that uses the egpu (NVIDIA System Monitor or 3DMark for example) the OS Windows 7 totally freezes and i must press powen ON button to force shoutdown. Anyone can help me?

Thanks,

emperoraugust.

I've changed PSU but the problem persists. If i force the system to use the external monitor there' s no change.

Build:

Lenovo Y510P

CPU: Intel core i7 4700mq @ 3.40ghz

dgpu: GT750m (disabled via bios)

igpu: intel HD 4600

egpu: MSI GTX 970 4GB Gaming

ram: 16gb

Testing / benchmarking. On an external screen, I get 8552 on 3dmark. On my internal screen, I get 6950, with the graphics score being significantly lower (~3000 points lower). I feel like the optimus compression is not working correctly, as my performance drop is ~20% on my internal lcd compared to ~10% on other people's internal screens. I am also seeing huge differences in game performance. GTA V I get ~100fps on my external monitor, yet only ~30fps on my internal. BL2 I get ~150+ fps on external monitor, but only ~45 on internal. There are similar performance losses in other games, it does not appear to be specific to any particular program. I have the latest 353.30 NVidia drivers installed, and the latest intel graphics drivers installed. I did a clean install of windows to no avail. Is this level of performance normal? It seems like I am missing out on a lot of performance here,

With my setup I have a 2500 drop in the graphics score of Firestrike comparing external to internal display.

Are you using the resolution of the internal display? Guess you are using a PCIe x1 connection, right? Maybe some of the games have way to little bandwidth to send data in both directions.

Hello guys. My PE4C V3.0 has arrived and I am trying to set it up.

PE4C V3.0 EC

D220 DELL 220w PSU

MSI R7 370 4G

Thinkpad X220 Win7/64bit

CPU: i-7 2620m iGPU HD3000

RAM: 8GB

I've checked memory resource, the first PCI bus entry with a 8 digit memory address reads CFA00000. However I still get a code 12 error in device manager. Does it mean I have to go with Setup 1.3? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

best regards

Hello guys. My PE4C V3.0 has arrived and I am trying to set it up.

PE4C V3.0 EC

D220 DELL 220w PSU

MSI R7 370 4G

Thinkpad X220 Win7/64bit

CPU: i-7 2620m iGPU HD3000

RAM: 8GB

I've checked memory resource, the first PCI bus entry with a 8 digit memory address reads CFA00000. However I still get a code 12 error in device manager. Does it mean I have to go with Setup 1.3? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

best regards

Update your BIOS to the newest one, set all delays to 0 on the PE4C, and restart your system with the PE4C connected. Then the error code should disappear and you'll be ready to install the drivers.

Thanks so much for the input tbalazs14.

I've updated to the newest version of lenovo X220 bios (1.4), and tried a different version of bios(1.36), and performed the steps exactly described. The 1.36 bios is reported to work with a X220 user with an older version of PE4C. However they both yielded the same result. Instead of having a code 12 error, now it reads, in the device manager, "This device can not start." and is indicated as code 10. Also the name changed from "R7 370" to "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter".

After playing around with the switch for a little, I figured the only way for the computer to recognize the graphics card is to set SW1 to 2-3 and SW2 to 1, but it would return a code 12 error.

I'm having an EXP GDC Beast + R9 270x running through expresscard of a Dell Vostro 3450 which has the igpu Intel 3k and dgpu Amd 6630m. However when I tried to install the driver, the BSOD came, I think that is a conflict between the dgpu and egpu because they are both from one manufacturer. I used the DIY to disable the dgpu to install the R9 properly but when I rebooted, the screen went black after the windows booting logo.

I'm using windows 10

anyone who use dgpu and egpu from AMD, please give me advice, thank you.

Hello guys,

my egpu is making me crazy!

As i explained in my previuos posts my system is composed by:

Acer Aspire 5755g

i7 2.1

ram: 8gb

igpu: Intel HD graphics 3000

dgpu: Nvidia GTX540m

egpu: Asus gtx970 strix

PSU: Thermaltake Hamburg 530W

Adapter: PE4C v3.0

I removed drivers of dgpu and of igpu and I deactived dgpu via BIOS: I connected my egpu on pc and i installed drivers of igpu and latest desktop nvidia drivers. When i started windows Gtx970 was recognised with error 12. I used setup 1.30. Setting pci to 5Gb/s and performing a pci compaction, GTX970 was properly recognised. The problem is that, when i start windows, my system uses only the internal lcd trow intel graphics, even if the external monitor is connected (and recognised in the Device Manager) to egpu. When i try to start a benchmark, or a game or an application ( setted to be started with egpu in Nvidia control panel) the system freezes and BSOD sometimes appears.

I've no idea what's the problem. tbalazs14 suggested me to use a quality PSU but the problem wasn't solved.

Thanks in advance,

Emperoraugust

I am getting either code 10 or code 12 error no matter what I try. At this point I believe it's a hardware issue. I have ordered a different graphics card and a new PE4C V.3.0. It's somewhat safe to say that the PSU has been ruled out because I already have two of them, new and used. I will post update once they arrive.

I have a question though. What's most efficient and cost effective way to test whether the expresscard 2.0 slot is working properly?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew whether the T61 could use an eGPU on its internal display only rather than an external monitor. From the searches I have found, the answer seems to be no. Is there any new information regarding this? I am able to connect a 750ti to the T61 and works no problem with an external monitor.

Thanks,

Louiek

edit: I can see the eGPU in device manager as well as on HWINFO. However, the eGPU is not being used at all. Furthermore, the NVIDIA control panel indicates that there is not gpu.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew whether the T61 could use an eGPU on its internal display only rather than an external monitor. From the searches I have found, the answer seems to be no. Is there any new information regarding this? I am able to connect a 750ti to the T61 and works no problem with an external monitor.

Thanks,

Louiek

edit: I can see the eGPU in device manager as well as on HWINFO. However, the eGPU is not being used at all. Furthermore, the NVIDIA control panel indicates that there is not gpu.

The T61 with NVidia or X3100 graphics cannot use Optimus accelerated internal LCD mode. You'd need the newer 4500MHD to do that, but even then NVidia dropped support for it at what is now quite an old driver - 306.97WHQL.

It's then recommended to notebook with a 1st gen i-core (HD iGPU) or newer. Better is to even skip 1st gen and get 2nd gen or newer i-core since it provides a Gen2 (PCIe 2.0) EC/mPCIe port.

There is a workaround where you can drag a windowed app across to the internal LCD to get it accelerated. It can even be automated with a dummy external LCD as explained in the Ultramon/Chung-gun method at DIY eGPU experiences - Page 52 .

T|I user @m1sk recently posting his implementation where he used Actual Multimonitor software to accomplish this: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/10504-2011-17-macbook-pro-gtx960%4010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-win8-1%5Bm1sk%5D.html#post139297

I just received my MSI GTX 750 today and have been trying to set it up to no avail. I am on a X230t with the 2.62 bios and 8gb RAM. I'm also using a PE4L 2.1b with a 480W psu. I've also tried downgrading the BIOS down to 1.11, which I've seen work on other peoples' setups but I am unable to because the installer says that I have the wrong model number, a common issue I've found online.

My process is as follows:

1) turn on PC

2) put to sleep

3) turn on and plug in eGPU

4) resume PC

This got me to install my drivers and restart but once I did that, it came back with a code 12. I've tried hotplugging from a cold boot but it hangs on BIOS for some reason. I haven't seen anyone have that issue on BIOS 2.62 for the x230/x230t which is why I'm a little confused.

Any tips?

EDIT: fixed it by unplugging the VGA cable from the gpu when hotplugging before a cold boot. Booted with no cable, went to device manager to check that there was no Code 12, and then plugged in the VGA cable. However, now I get some very slight screen flickering as I type or click. I do have an external keyboard and mouse.

In addition, screen flickering gets worse as I play games. GPU-Z says that my connection is a x1.1. I thought that the PE4L v2.1b was supposed to have good Gen 2 conenctions?

EDIT 2: Got Gen 2 working, realized that I had put it to Gen 1 in my BIOS previously to test if the issue was my adapter. The only issue that remains is the screen flicker so if anyone has any experience/advice, that'd be great. Thanks to all for past forum posts that helped a bunch, especially nando.

Open device manager and search for video cards. If only the integrated gpu is there, you have to manage the delays on the PE4H. In the device manager check if you have enough space for the egpu. If your TOLUD is higher than 3.5 GB then you have to do DSDT override. In my case the TOLUD was CFA00000 (<3.5GB) and I could use egpu with the same system (PE4C, Windows 8.1) but with only 4 GB RAM. Check this: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/8475-14-hp-8440p-gtx560%402gbps-c-ec1-pe4c-2-1-win8-1-%5Btbalazs14%5D.html

I tried all delay settings. TOLUD is C0000000 so looks good there? Reduced ram to 4GB. Still only iGPU is detected. I'm guessing I have faulty equipment at this point. Maybe a bad HDMI / Expresscard?

My original post:

I have a HP Elitebook 8440p, core i7, 8GB Ram that I'm trying to set up with an eGPU.

430W Power Supply > Old GeForce 8800 GS (for testing)> PEH4 to Expresscard.

I have three green lights on my PEH4, fan is spinning on the video card. It's not showing up on my system at all. I hear talk about an "error 12" but I haven't seen it. Is my video card too old? Is my equipment possibly faulty? Do I need to do a DSDT override?

Thank you!

Hey Nando,

I was just going to point out that the dummy DVI worked well although not perfect. However, it is indeed now better on CPU usage as I can now stream multiple 1080p videos without smothering my T9500 with heat. Also, a third party software such as Ultramon or Actual Multimonitor wasn't technically necessary. I am getting by now by just going into window's screen resolution options and setting the second virtual monitor as the primary. Following which I opened the software/game/benchmark, making sure HWINFO indicates GPU usage, and then simply setting the internal LCD as the primary. Shifting windows between monitors can be done easily with window's snapping functions (windows key + left/right/up/down). I do acknowledge, however, that those third party software have automation capabilities, but the current method is softwareless and not too troublesome.

Thanks and cheers,

Louiek

Hey Nando,

I was just going to point out that the dummy DVI worked well although not perfect. However, it is indeed now better on CPU usage as I can now stream multiple 1080p videos without smothering my T9500 with heat. Also, a third party software such as Ultramon or Actual Multimonitor wasn't technically necessary. I am getting by now by just going into window's screen resolution options and setting the second virtual monitor as the primary. Following which I opened the software/game/benchmark, making sure HWINFO indicates GPU usage, and then simply setting the internal LCD as the primary. Shifting windows between monitors can be done easily with window's snapping functions (windows key + left/right/up/down). I do acknowledge, however, that those third party software have automation capabilities, but the current method is softwareless and not too troublesome.

Thanks and cheers,

Louiek

Great feedback on using a DVI dummy. The Ultramon/Chung-gun method hasn't been updated for several years. Actual Window manager just recently mentioned.

Did you want to create a new thread to explain each of these and how they can be applied by users?

Great feedback on using a DVI dummy. The Ultramon/Chung-gun method hasn't been updated for several years. Actual Window manager just recently mentioned.

Did you want to create a new thread to explain each of these and how they can be applied by users?

I absolutely can. However, I do not have a deep technical understanding of the entire process. I can simply start a new thread describing everything I have done and tested. Cheers.

Louiek

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, guys, I have to say that this has been a long run for me with this project, and I have had fun experimenting. But everything must come to an end. I have decided that this August, I will stop using the eGPU project, as I have purchased components to build my future gaming PC, as this laptop will be used for my job.

I sincerely thank you anyone who is involved in developing and troubleshooting this project. I'm considering selling the adapter once I've finished building my PC. My advice to you: work hard and don't give up! You'll see the results of your work if you are patient, especially with this one.

I have bought 970 for my gaming rig, not for my eGPU project, so this would truly mark the end of my run as a volunteer of this job. Once again, thanks everyone, and I hope to see you all again.

• Thumbs Up 1

anyone upgraded to Windows 10?

and if yes, does the DYI work? (dsdt is ok?)

Just upgraded to Win10 this morning. Still trying to get my DSDT override to work, if I use asl to override it hangs at boot. I installed uefi by accident so DIY eGPU setup doesn't work :(

ok,like the other windows versions then

for some reason, my windows 10 upgrade is not available, although i got the notification weeks ago for the upgrade and that i signed for it since then.

Hi i have been running an egpu setup for months now and have only recently began having trouble with the update to windows 10. Before the upgrade i was running a copy of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit this worked fine as i did a dsdt override and was able to get my egpu running with a boot through setup 1.3. However with windows 10 im still sure i need the DSDT override so i have tried it countless times and cannot get it to generate the Large memory section. I have also tried multiple configurations with setup 1.3 to boot up with my egpu and cannot get it working. Any help is appreciated.

Errors i am getting range from the computer picking up the device as a default video adapter to Code 12 when it reads it right.

My setup:

HP Elitebook 8440P (upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64 from 7 Pro 64)

8 GB Ram

Core i5 540M (with integrated Intel HD graphics)

250 Gb HDD

Egpu:

The Beast EXP GDC 16x PCIe adapter (connects via expresscard)

GPU im using in it is the Zotac GT740 2gb.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.