eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Sorry for a bad english. But i really need a help.

Along time a read techinferno forum and i choice put a egpu in my note (dell vostro 3500 - 1 gen i5 - 8GB ram).

I buy:

pe4c v2.1 expresscard

gtx 960 g1

corsair cx430m

I turn on my note wait boot win7, disable dgpu (nvidia 300m) and plug expresscard.

SO find grafic card and i run nvidia last driver.

The Nvidia software find grafic card, again, and install driver.

Restart note and ERRO CODE 12.

Now i take setup 1.3 (tanks nando), install and reboot.

In setup 1.3 i disable dgpu, run compaction for egpu and run chainload mgr.

win7 start

and

no more erro code 12.

But driver not working, there is an erro code 43.

I ask help for nando (tanks again), for this erro. He told me to run DDU (to remove all grafics card driver), run setup 1.3, disable dgpu and run chainloading.

So i did. But i still with erro code 43.

Anyone can help me.

I recently built my egpu setup with the PE4C v2.1 and a GTS450 Superclocked. I got everything to install just fine and I have set global setting for everything to use the GTS450 through the Nvidia Control Panel. I also set Physx to use the GTS450 as well. Even after all of this, I'm still not getting any boost in performance at all, it is practically the same as when I used the Intel HD3000.

Laptop: HP Probook 4530s

CPU: i3 2330m 2.2Ghz

RAM: 4GB

IGPU: Intel HD3000

I am using the Expresscard slot which I believe is a PCI-e 2.0 X1, I am also using internal LCD since I'm trying to set this up without the need of an external monitor since I'm going to use this in college and likely won't have a lot of space for a monitor.

Is there something I'm missing that is causing me to stay at low performance?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15478[/ATTACH]

could I power up GTX 750 Ti OC with this? the size(Jack) is rite but unsure 'bout compatibility.

planing to get PE4C V2.1.

Unfortunately no. You need a 12V adapter. Furthermore, recommend you get a PE4C V3.0 instead of the PE4C V2.1. The former with the soldered cable ensuring the best possible Gen2 signal integrity when using a 2nd-gen or newer i-core notebook with Gen2 (PCIe 2.0) EC/mPCIe port.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately no. You need a 12V adapter. Furthermore, recommend you get a PE4C V3.0 instead of the PE4C V2.1. The former with the soldered cable ensuring the best possible Gen2 signal integrity when using a 2nd-gen or newer i-core notebook with Gen2 (PCIe 2.0) EC/mPCIe port.

will do.

Sorry for a bad english. But i really need a help.

Along time a read techinferno forum and i choice put a egpu in my note (dell vostro 3500 - 1 gen i5 - 8GB ram).

I buy:

pe4c v2.1 expresscard

gtx 960 g1

corsair cx430m

I turn on my note wait boot win7, disable dgpu (nvidia 300m) and plug expresscard.

SO find grafic card and i run nvidia last driver.

The Nvidia software find grafic card, again, and install driver.

Restart note and ERRO CODE 12.

Now i take setup 1.3 (tanks nando), install and reboot.

In setup 1.3 i disable dgpu, run compaction for egpu and run chainload mgr.

win7 start

and

no more erro code 12.

But driver not working, there is an erro code 43.

I ask help for nando (tanks again), for this erro. He told me to run DDU (to remove all grafics card driver), run setup 1.3, disable dgpu and run chainloading.

So i did. But i still with erro code 43.

Anyone can help me.

Anyone?

Hi everybody!

I've purchased a new laptop, a lenovo x220. Even though it is old it is still very sufficient for egpu, because lenovo's engineers have written the bios so that it dynamically changes TOLUD if there is a device at bootup on the express card slot. That requires no delays on adapters. Specs: Intel Core i5-2520M, 4GB RAM, Windows 8.1 x64, PE4C v2.1, 1280x1024 Syncmaster 710N, FSP 350-60MDN. Unfortunately, there is no possibility for this notebook to play at x2 2.0 but with a GTX 560 at x1 2.0 it does a better job than my old 8440p + GTX 660Ti which could do only x1 1.0. Optimus compression was active in both cases.

I've also borrowed an AMD Radeon 7850 1GB to see how it works. That was no pain at all, I just had to manually install the driver (15.7 Catalyst). I didn't want to buy AMD card because I thought I won't be able to use the internal screen, but that works as well, but only with the integrated gpu. The performance is decent compared to the GTX 560, it consumes less power and I am able to play at higher quality settings (I've tried Bioshock Infinite). However, there are microlags, which weren't there when I used the GTX560, that's why I still recommend Nvidia over AMD if you want to choose a card for egpu.

Benchmarks run well on the 7850:

AMD Radeon HD 7850 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2520M Processor,LENOVO 4290A48

AMD Radeon HD 7850 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2520M Processor,LENOVO 4290A48

post-31693-14495000524256_thumb.png

Benchmarks on the GTX 560: There is not much difference between this configuration and my old 8440p + GTX 560 pair in GPU performance. The CPU collects of course more point than the Core i5 520M.

I've used the 347.52 driver for the benchmarks. After I had changed back to the GTX560, I uninstalled AMD drivers with DDU because the Opencl on the GTX560 didn't work, that's why I installed the 353.06 driver.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2520M Processor,LENOVO 4290A48

post-31693-14495000524491_thumb.png

p.s: Has anybody tried the Fury X yet?

I've got a problem with the Setup 1.x b5. It's hard to say why but at some time when I press F8 after turning on my laptop and choose Setup 1.x boot I get a message about "No PXE stack" and I cannot boot into Setup 1.x. That is why I wanted to reinstall Setup 1.x but when I try do to so I get an information that I'm not an admin user (even though I launch the cmd with admin priviledges) and so I cannot instal Setup 1.x.

So I've got two questions:

1) how can I make myself an admin user or change the Setup 1.x installation procedure so that it wouldn't check for admin priviledges?

2) what is wrong with this PXE stack?

I'll be grateful for your help! Cheers!

I forgot about my setup:

- it's the same as the one here: DIY eGPU experiences - Page 1082

- I've got a Windows 7 6.1.7601

- I've got latest nvidia drivers

... at some time when I press F8 after turning on my laptop and choose Setup 1.x boot I get a message about "No PXE stack" and I cannot boot into Setup 1.x. That is why I wanted to reinstall Setup 1.x but when I try do to so I get an information that I'm not an admin user (even though I launch the cmd with admin priviledges) and so I cannot instal Setup 1.x.

So I've got two questions:

1) how can I make myself an admin user or change the Setup 1.x installation procedure so that it wouldn't check for admin priviledges?

2) what is wrong with this PXE stack?

I'll be grateful for your help! Cheers!

I forgot about my setup:

- it's the same as the one here: DIY eGPU experiences - Page 1082

- I've got a Windows 7 6.1.7601

- I've got latest nvidia drivers

Please obtain http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-a.html .

I have a HP Elitebook 8440p, core i7, 8GB Ram that I'm trying to set up with an eGPU.

430W Power Supply > Old GeForce 8800 GS (for testing)> PEH4 to Expresscard.

I have three green lights on my PEH4, fan is spinning on the video card. It's not showing up on my system at all. I hear talk about an "error 12" but I haven't seen it. Is my video card too old? Is my equipment possibly faulty? Do I need to do a DSDT override?

Thank you!

I have a HP Elitebook 8440p, core i7, 8GB Ram that I'm trying to set up with an eGPU.

430W Power Supply > Old GeForce 8800 GS (for testing)> PEH4 to Expresscard.

I have three green lights on my PEH4, fan is spinning on the video card. It's not showing up on my system at all. I hear talk about an "error 12" but I haven't seen it. Is my video card too old? Is my equipment possibly faulty? Do I need to do a DSDT override?

Thank you!

Open device manager and search for video cards. If only the integrated gpu is there, you have to manage the delays on the PE4H. In the device manager check if you have enough space for the egpu. If your TOLUD is higher than 3.5 GB then you have to do DSDT override. In my case the TOLUD was CFA00000 (<3.5GB) and I could use egpu with the same system (PE4C, Windows 8.1) but with only 4 GB RAM. Check this: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/8475-14-hp-8440p-gtx560%402gbps-c-ec1-pe4c-2-1-win8-1-%5Btbalazs14%5D.html

Maybe the PSU has less power that it says and it's more important quality than power. Here you can read some guys whom have problems until the change the psu.

Give it a try ;)

The GPU has an extra power intake, what do you think about using one power source for the PE4H-EC2C-060B and another for the GPU? Could it cause some trouble?

so far my egpu is stable whenever im playing games but when I dont play and just browse say for about 30 mins, its like my egpu disconnects. even if its still powered up. feels like it goes into idle mode or sleep mode. I would have to reboot for it to work again

Hi guys, I am very new to all this so here goes.

I have an Acer V3-571G:

i5-3230m

710m 2gb VRAM

8GB 1600mHz Ram

I have recently come by a GTX 670 and am planning to run it externally. I'm pretty damn sure I only have one PCI-E slot where the wifi card sits, but taking that out isn't a problem. I have many questions, so I will list them off as bullet points:

-Will it work even though I already have a dedicated chip (710m)? (I assume yes on this one)

-What external dock do I need? (not looking for an enclosure, I don't have that sort of money)

-What power supply will be needed for the GTX 670?

-Can I buy a power supply that can power an entire desktop just for the GTX 670, just in case I build a desktop in the future?

-Do I definitely need a second display or is there a way to use my laptop screen?

The post that led me to this thread was on neowin and part of it read; 'IMPORTANT - Make sure to read the thread to establish what speed graphics bus you will have access to on your laptop and what features will be supported by your combination of laptop/graphics/PE4L.'. I need to understand this statement better and what it means for my machine.

I'm sure there are questions that I've missed out but we'll just see how we go with this so far. I'm sorry for being such a scrub.

Thanks in advance,

Woosypan

Hi guys, I am very new to all this so here goes.

I have an Acer V3-571G:

i5-3230m

710m 2gb VRAM

8GB 1600mHz Ram

I have recently come by a GTX 670 and am planning to run it externally. I'm pretty damn sure I only have one PCI-E slot where the wifi card sits, but taking that out isn't a problem. I have many questions, so I will list them off as bullet points:

-Will it work even though I already have a dedicated chip (710m)? (I assume yes on this one)

-What external dock do I need? (not looking for an enclosure, I don't have that sort of money)

-Can I buy a power supply that can power an entire desktop just for the GTX 670, just in case I build a desktop in the future?

-Do I definitely need a second display or is there a way to use my laptop screen?

The post that led me to this thread was on neowin and part of it read; 'IMPORTANT - Make sure to read the thread to establish what speed graphics bus you will have access to on your laptop and what features will be supported by your combination of laptop/graphics/PE4L.'. I need to understand this statement better and what it means for my machine.

I'm sure there are questions that I've missed out but we'll just see how we go with this so far. I'm sorry for being such a scrub.

Thanks in advance,

Woosypan

Pls do some background reading beginning with existing eGPU implementations a reference: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#dx11

There we see that your system had an eGPU successfully attached already:

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/9742-15-acer-571g-gtx570%404gbps-c-mpcie2-exp-gdc-beast-win7-64-%5Babdullah%5D.html#post130965

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/9657-15-acer-v3-571-r9-270x%404gbps-c-mpcie2-pe4h-2-4a-win7-64-%5Bkuri%5D.html

This is amazing information and I cannot commend you enough for your help. Those experiences can tell me that it will indeed work and what power supply I can use. However two questions remain that are fairly simple and I believe I know the answers, but I cannot be sure. I will leave what I think are the answers in brackets after the questions.

(yes, the gpu will only draw what it needs from the power supply and it wont cook the gpu)

(no, an external gpu needs to be plugged directly into another display and there is no way to use the HDMI output on the laptop as an input)

Thanks again,

Woosypan

is there anyway to get 2.4B to work on HP 8560P it has the ATI 6470m built into it.. i want to try and get either a ATi 5850 to work or GTX 660 or 460 or 560ti.. i get error 12 on my 5850. not sure how to do a DSDT mod.. where can i get this EGPU software 1.x?

Hi, my system is an acer 5755g with

Igpu Intel 3000

Dgpu (deactived) GT 540M

Egpu gtx970.

Unbranded psu 400 W

Two days ago I installed my egpu and the error code 12 appeared. I used setup 1.30 for PCI Compaction and egpu was recognized without problem. The problem is that when i start a software that uses the egpu (NVIDIA System Monitor or 3DMark for example) the OS Windows 7 totally freezes and i must press powen ON button to force shoutdown. Anyone can help me?

Thanks,

emperoraugust.

The problem is that when i start a software that uses the egpu (NVIDIA System Monitor or 3DMark for example) the OS Windows 7 totally freezes and i must press powen ON button to force shoutdown. Anyone can help me?

Thanks,

emperoraugust.

Try to use a quality PSU, which can supply enough current for your 970. Detailed power consumption of the 970: Nvidia GeForce GTX Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Results

Hello I am not new here, but i can`t acces my old account here. It was Dan. I`ve been using egpu for a while (2-3 years). Use my pc not for gaming but for photoshop editing only. It running much faster than just using igpu.

first it was

HP DV6

i3 8gb

Adapter: PE4C

iGPU: Intel HD

eGPU: GeForce GT 430

did DSDT overide, (i think Tech Inferno Fan help me with error fixing)

Than i got next latop

HP ProBook 6560b

i5 8gb

Adapter: PE4C

iGPU: Intel HD 3000

eGPU: GeForce GT 430

i did no dsdt overide.

everything worked fine.

Just recetly. after win8 updates i lost all sound in the system. Decide to upgrade to win 8.1 everything worked good exept i got error 12. I did DSDT overide an test mode. nothing. upgrade to win 10. Same thing . error 12. Tried everingthing i could find. nothing helped. i can see large memory field in Device mng, but still get error12. It seems that DSDT overide is working, but....

I think of setup 1.30 is it going to fix my problem win Win8.1 or Win10 error12?

I still dont understand why it is working good with win8 without any DSDT but win8

1 & win10.....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.