eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Ok, I´ll get another one to try, anyway, do you think I can get that kind of problems with a 500w PSU?

Maybe the PSU has less power that it says and it's more important quality than power. Here you can read some guys whom have problems until the change the psu.

Give it a try ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe the PSU has less power that it says and it's more important quality than power. Here you can read some guys whom have problems until the change the psu.

Give it a try ;)

I see, I´ll try and let you know how it worked. Thanks :)

Anyone know if high powered ac adapters like 180W are working well with exp gdc? I've seen some using 60W ones?

The EXP GDC instructions at EXP GDC beast New operating guide ???.doc_??????|??? ??-????? specifies a a 150W max limit for the DC jack.

This eGPU adapter has a 8-pin connector for the 220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter.

Suggest using a Dell DA-2 if require between 150W and 220W. If require more then consider using an ATX/SFX PSU.

The EXP GDC instructions at EXP GDC beast New operating guide ???.doc_??????|??? ??-????? specifies a a 150W max limit for the DC jack.

This eGPU adapter has a 8-pin connector for the 220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter.

Suggest using a Dell DA-2 if require between 150W and 220W. If require more then consider using an ATX/SFX PSU.

Oh, there is an operating guide? Good to know!

Atart the newspaper

Hmmm, they could definitely improve their English. :D

Also thanks for the tip! I ordered the Dell DA-2. (Only 20€ incl. P&P on eBay!)

Hello everyone. I'm new here, just gearing up for my first eGPU, and have a few questions

My laptop doesn't have a discrete GPU, just the Intel HD iGPU. I've read here that Nvidia/AMD dGPU drivers have to be uninstalled before setting up an eGPU, so does the same go for Intel graphics drivers, or do they stay installed?

Is there a particular reason the majority of people here are using an Nvidia card? I'm planning on using an AMD.

Thanks in advance.

or do they stay installed?

No, they can stay.

Is there a particular reason the majority of people here are using an Nvidia card? I'm planning on using an AMD.

With NVidia cards you can use the internal display of your laptop with your eGPU (though with some performance loss). WIth AMD cards you can only use an external display which is connected to tje eGPU.

Hi. I am about to order the EXP GDC beast dock and i have been reading alot from this site. Has anyone tried eGPU with a Lenovo y410p notebook? since this laptop doesnt have an expresscard slot, im going to be trying the mPCIE route. Just want to make sure before I purchase online. Ill be using a GTX 960 card by the way. thank you

For the life of me I can't get the DSDT override to work and I need you guys' help.

I've followed Angerthosenear's instructions verbatim but get an error at step 12: "asl /loadtable dsdt.aml"

post-35293-1449500036069_thumb.png

I've searched for "Count not access the registry path:" and a dozen other clues or hints on this forum and Google but haven't found anything useful.

My laptop is a Dell Latitude E4310 (same as the one Nando4 used to test his DSDT override):

Intel 5-series chipset, QS57 motherboard

Core i5-560M

4GB installed RAM (want to upgrade to 8GB soon)

Win7 Pro, SP1

Hello there,

so i'm currently building up my first eGPU setup and have encountered some problems. But first, my specs:

1. OS: Windows 10 Insider Preview 10130

2. System: Lenovo Thinkpad T430 with Intel HD4000 and (currently deactivated) Nvidia NVS 5400

3. RAM: 8GB

4. eGPU: Asus Strix Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 OC

5. PSU specification: Power LC600H-12 | 20A at 12V1

So, the problem is: after successfully performing a DSDT override, I finally got rid of the Code 12 error and now I can see my Intel HD4000 and my Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 OC cards in the device manager (latest drivers should be installed, there’s even a factory-fresh Windows 10 driver out there for the GTX!), buuuuuut my system doesn’t recognize any monitors connected via the GTX (and also, Nvidia Control Panel doesn’t open).

Troubleshooting doesn’t cover this case and I found no clue about problems regarding the GTX 960 being used as an eGPU.

However, I've found three older threads of people encountering the same problem:

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

Unfortunately, none of them gave feedback if the provided solutions worked, and also those solutions (which really only break down to: reinstall OS) were kinda shady and not very clear.

Can someone confirm me that reinstalling the OS works (I also wouldn’t mind downgrading to Win8.1 for the time being if it’s the only possible solution to the problem), or provide me with an alternative?

I’d really appreciate any help greatly!

Kone

Edit: So, uh ... I don't know why my post was moved into a pre-purchase question thread, but it's actually not that. I have already gathered and assembled all the hardware and need some troubleshooting. Preferrably rather quick, since if the problem results in a hardware component, I'd like to refund it in time.

Edit 2: ignore Edit 1 since it's in a fitting thread now :D

Hi all,I'm looking for buy one of the chip(exp gdc or pe4c) for my laptop dell insp. 7520. (8gb ram,core i5 3210m 2.5-3.1ghz,igpu and amd dedicated).I would to use a basic gtx 970..

I read all the advice and my question is what type of egpu support give me overall the best performance? How much gpu potential is approximately lost comparet to desktop use? My cpu is powerful enough for AAA game?

Thanks

Hi

I am a new in this business of eGPU and I am wondering if I need external power for my EVGA-card in addition to the 12V DC that drives the EXP Beast itself?

The specification from EVGA says:

[h=4]Requirements[/h]Minimum of a 300 Watt power supply.

Total Power Draw : 60 Watts

The card itself has no connectors for external power, so when I used it in my MacBook it only drew power from the PCI socket. I am not sure if this is also valid on the eGPU.

Obviously I am asking because I can not get this to work ;-) I can see the card in device manager in Windows, but I am not able to select it as an output device. Due to lack of power?

Thanks

Hello everyone,

My laptop is a Dell Vostro 3460 (2012), here are the specs :

Intel Core i5-3210m @ 2,5GHz

Intel HD 4000

No dGPU

8 GB RAM

Windows 7 64 bit

I have ordered an EXP GDC Beast (Mini PCI version) and i want to combine it with a GTX 750 Ti

I have seen on a forum that my laptop could be whitelist by simply changing the Wi-Fi card.

So i'm wondering that if i change it for the e-GPU, it could be the same...What do you think about it ? Could you be able to know if "1.3 Setup" will be necessary or i need to wait to get the kit to test ?

Thank you !

Hello everyone,

My laptop is a Dell Vostro 3460 (2012), here are the specs :

So i'm wondering that if i change it for the e-GPU, it could be the same...What do you think about it ? Could you be able to know if "1.3 Setup" will be necessary or i need to wait to get the kit to test ?

Thank you !

Waitt and when you have it, test it

No responses after two days? Guess I'll have to reinstall Windows then. I'll first try the Win10 Preview again and if this doesn't work, I'll downgrade to Win8.1. After that I will give feedback whether it worked or not for future reference.

See you later,

Kone

• Thumbs Up 2

So… how do you power it?

Well, on my Mac it was powered directly from the PCIe socket - no extra power needed. So I would like to know if the power that drives the eGPU adapter is sufficient to also drive the card. As mentioned, Windows can detect the card, but it does not show up in any Geforce-software or as an available display output. But in the Device Manager it is.

hello, i have an Asus K73SV

-i7 2670QM 2.2Ghz

-8GB of RAM

-Intel HD Graphics3000 + Nvidia GeForceGT540M

-Windows 8.1 Prox64

eGPU:

Exp gdc Beast v6

750W power supply

GTX 980 MSI Gaming

For the connections look at the picture :

15286d1434641954t-20150618_173359.png

So i want to use my GTX 980 but there are many problems

-I tried with de mpcie plugged in before boot but i had a blue screen, windows can't boot.

Edit : (ACPI BIOS ERROR)

-I tried with de mpcie plugged in after boot, while windows is running but the laptop freezed

-I tried to put the laptop in standby, plugged in and switch on, no problems, the eGPU fans accelerate but stop after some seconds and the eGPU isn't detected.

I don't know what to do if someone can help me please ?

Thank you guys i'm waitting for you smile.png.pagespeed.ce.HpCntQets-.png

(PS : sorry for my english, i'm french redface.png.pagespeed.ce.dPV5Cxx82c.png)

First Post

Hello there again,

so sadly, after reinstalling Win10 and later Win8.1, the problem of my monitors not being recognized by the eGPU still persists in both cases. And even worse, now i get black screens every now and then when connecting the eGPU to my system (but they instantly disappear and I'm landing in the Windows login-screen when removing the eGPU again).

Can anybody help me? Any ideas left on how to fix the monitors not being recognized or what causes and how to avoid black screens?

I'm getting quite frustrated and only have a few days left before i have to send the GPU back if i don't want to keep it.

Kone

I have a GTX 750 Ti working with my Sandy Bridge ThinkPad (no internal dGPU) in Windows via PE4L. Everything works flawlessly, and given the performance of the eGPU and CPU, bandwidth isn't really a problem. I can play pretty much any game I want at 1080p/60FPS, and I would say my favorite thing about it is the fact that I can connect/disconnect and switch between "laptop mode" and "desktop mode" with just a reboot.

I also dual-boot Linux on my laptop, and that's actually my main OS. Windows is really only for gaming. But I want to play around with CUDA development in Python, and most of the tools available only work with Linux or OS X (out of the box, at least). Is there a way to use the eGPU in Linux and keep the "plug-and-play" functionality?

RE: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/8685-15-msi-ge60-gtx970%404gbps-c-mpcie2-pe4c-2-1-win7-%5Bwill97%5D.html#post118456

@will97 , your internal display benchmarks are pretty good. noob question, how do you guys use your internal display with egpu. I mean the steps, cant find any info on how to do it. thanks!

hello, i have an Asus K73SV

-i7 2670QM 2.2Ghz

-8GB of RAM

-Intel HD Graphics3000 + Nvidia GeForceGT540M

-Windows 8.1 Prox64

eGPU:

Exp gdc Beast v6

750W power supply

GTX 980 MSI Gaming

For the connections look at the picture :

So i want to use my GTX 980 but there are many problems

-I tried with de mpcie plugged in before boot but i had a blue screen, windows can't boot.

Edit : (ACPI BIOS ERROR)

-I tried with de mpcie plugged in after boot, while windows is running but the laptop freezed

-I tried to put the laptop in standby, plugged in and switch on, no problems, the eGPU fans accelerate but stop after some seconds and the eGPU isn't detected.

I don't know what to do if someone can help me please ?

Thank you guys i'm waitting for you smile.png.pagespeed.ce.HpCntQets-.png

(PS : sorry for my english, i'm french redface.png.pagespeed.ce.dPV5Cxx82c.png)

Help ??

You have two reset switches on the EXP GDC Beast. Try setting all combinations of those to see if can bootup OK. Sleep/resume detection won't work once they are set.

If find your eGPU isn't detected at all then consider getting a PE4C V3.0 instead: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7941-bplus-pe4c-3-x-2-x-discussion.html

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.