eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Thanks nando! It kinda works now, except for one annoying thing :/

My display driver keeps crashing because it stopped responding recovers soon after, which makes gaming impossible. My PSU works fine and I even tried to lower clock speed of the eGPU - it still stopped responding under load.

In 'normal' use like surfing etc I got no problem at all.

what is your system ?

Hi,

some days ago I managed to make the eGPU working with my laptop (Lenovo T540p+GTX970+PE4C V2.1). It works quite well with both the internal and an external display and I get around 8600 points in 3dmark 2013 with the external display (is it okay?).

Although, today was a bit frustrating because the computer freezed 3 times during 2.5 hours of GTA 5. The laptop didn't respond anymore. Is this a known issue or what could I do against it? Yesterday I also had one freeze.

The PSU is a Sharkoon Silentstorm SFX Gold 500W.

Anyway, thanks for your awesome support/tutorial/software! Such an eGPU adapter is a real insider tip! :)

Hi,

some days ago I managed to make the eGPU working with my laptop (Lenovo T540p+GTX970+PE4C V2.1). It works quite well with both the internal and an external display and I get around 8600 points in 3dmark 2013 with the external display (is it okay?).

Although, today was a bit frustrating because the computer freezed 3 times during 2.5 hours of GTA 5. The laptop didn't respond anymore. Is this a known issue or what could I do against it? Yesterday I also had one freeze.

The PSU is a Sharkoon Silentstorm SFX Gold 500W.

Anyway, thanks for your awesome support/tutorial/software! Such an eGPU adapter is a real insider tip! :)

Freezing in GTA 5 is the game issue. There is a ton of posts on Rockstar forums about freezes. I have those freezes also, sometimes random and sometimes in same place in story - like getting in car after some heists.

I think there are more freezes if you play 3DM version, I would recommend buying the game or try RELOADED version.

Hi everyone. Sorry for my English, I'll do my best to explain my situation.

I'm trying to use this configuration:

HP Elitebook 8460p - i5 SandyBridge - 8 GB RAM

EXP GDC Beast ExpressCard with a x1.2 link, trying to get optimus too

Asus GTX 960 Strixx DIRECTCU II 2 GB

ATX PSU 500W

I had code 12 in the first place. I did DSDT override and solved it. Now if I plug the eGPU pausing windows start, I get code 43, but if with Windows completely started I unplug it and hotplug it again, it gets the driver correctly in Device Manager, and it works. The only issue is that the eGPU fans don´t move, and I´m afraid of getting it to work hard for if it overheats and burns the GPU. Anyone with this issue who can help me? Also if it helps, I have a red led in EXP GDC, kind of below the 6pin output that goes to the Video Card.

Thank you all in advance!

Did you tey putting any load onto card? Many new Maxwell cards have fearure where they dont spinn the fans if Temps are OK and there is no load.

Ive had msi gtx 980 that did just that.

Yes. I started The Witcher, Rayman Origins, and Kerbal Space Program, but fans didn´t move. I didn´t play for more than 1 minute, since I started hearing a little noise from the GPU (like data transfering, or electricity, I don´t know) and I was afraid of burning it. Should I try to put it under a harder load?

EDIT: You were right. It works!! I tried MSI Afterburner, and the fan speed was set to auto according to a temperature/speed curve. Now I'll try to do some benchmarks so I can post them here. Thank you very much for your help!

Hello, I'm new to these forums, but I found you through trying to troubleshoot my DIY eGPU.

I'm having trouble getting my set up to work, but I'm hopeful that it's possible after finding this post middle of the page about an Alienware m14x.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-427.html

My Laptop:

Alienware m14x R1- i7-2630QM 2GHz, Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium, 8 G RAM (I think this might be the issue?)

I have the two GPU onboards, Intel Graphics + Nvidia GT 555M.

BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 1.0 A08

I'm trying to use:

EXP GDC Beast- mPCIE -

CPU: Corsair CX 430

GPU: GTX 970

I have an external monitor and hdmi out from the GPU set up as well.

Now I understand that 970 normally requires a 500+ PSU, but that is for powering a motherboard and entire system, I figured I could get away with a 430 that I had, as the GPU only pulls 145w.

I'm also getting full red lights and fan spins on the GPU, which I think indicates power isn't a problem.

So using this set up, I'm unable to get my laptop to boot with the eGPU attached, I normally will get black screen and beeps, I've tried the standby/attach egpu methods to no luck.

I'm struggling in part because the directions from banggood are in chinese and don't translate well considering the technical requirements.

Additionally, I have two mpcie slots on my laptop. Ideally, I'd like to have this card go in the full size slot,(keeping my half size for the WLAN) but I know sometimes there is a problem with that being intended for wwan only.

This is a fairly broad outline, if I can provide additional details, please let me know. I'm just trying to get this to work.

Dear all,

For my curiosity and also because of GTA5, I decided to have a look at the eGPU option.

My laptop:

- HP ENVY dv6t-7300 Quad Edition

- i7 3630QM

- 8Go RAM

- Geforce GT 635M

My eGPU:

- Geforce GTX 970 PNY

My eGPU board:

- PE4C v2.1a

My external PSU:

- 450W (https://www.afuture.nl//productview.php?productID=14658)

Current situation:

I did not use Setup1.x at all, my card is well detected, everything seems to be fine (I have just uninstalled the dGPU and rebooted):

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11128464_10153204382229361_1946898392166188747_n.jpg?oh=289c2c882e6c4eee3c21bb4b5f11da3c&oe=55CBE068&__gda__=1443663948_9b2a7d262b3d72ec9f39be92cae5bebe

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/11260520_10153204382989361_330452460806079161_n.jpg?oh=9fe92aefd461559004a436be60a4167b&oe=55CD68D5&__gda__=1443126869_9e1398c783af2c58665e86f2da073fb1

https://scontent-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/11187235_10153204383319361_5651278652069276896_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xtp1/t31.0-8/11169800_10153204383489361_5676558967126230143_o.jpg

Problem:

When I run a really low requirement game e.g. Counter Strike 1.6, everything works perfectly fine. But when I try 3DMark 13 or GTA5, then it crashes not even 1 second after the game starts (after loading) and the laptop reboots.

A video example of my problem will come soon :)

I am not experienced at all with eGPU, so I am not able to find out what might the problem be. What do you think?

Cheers!

So i'm still new to the whole eGPU, have been following it for a while, I have a Lenovo W541 (ordered), for Music Production, (industrial metal in Ableton Live 9), anyway, I do play a few games Prototype 1,2, Civ 5, Batman Arkham City, planning on the new one too, and im wondering what most people would suggest, either the BPlus route or the EXP GDC v6/v7 route i'm planning on using the asus GTX960 Strix, not a hardcore gamer, and with the bandwidth restrictions, i'm not trying to spend a whole bunch on a GPU that will be bottle necked due to the expresscard limitations or get used a whole lot

So i'm still new to the whole eGPU, have been following it for a while, I have a Lenovo W541 (ordered), for Music Production, (industrial metal in Ableton Live 9), anyway, I do play a few games Prototype 1,2, Civ 5, Batman Arkham City, planning on the new one too, and im wondering what most people would suggest, either the BPlus route or the EXP GDC v6/v7 route i'm planning on using the asus GTX960 Strix, not a hardcore gamer, and with the bandwidth restrictions, i'm not trying to spend a whole bunch on a GPU that will be bottle necked due to the expresscard limitations or get used a whole lot

W541 has a 16Gbps Thunderbolt2 port, 4 times more than expresscard. I'd suggest create a Thunderbolt eGPU using a http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2.html . Has been implemented on a similar Lenovo W540 already: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/7388-15-lenovo-w540-r9_290x-gtx780ti%4010gbps-4gbps-sonnet-ee-se2-pe4l-2-1b-%5Bgothic860%5D.html#post101232

Hello everyone,

I have an e6430 on the way and can't wait to try out x2 2.0. Any news on x4 2.0 for this? I'm willing to solder another mPCIe adapter if you could code ports 3 and 4 for x4 (I'm still new and learning).

So far I have left to do:

Receive e6430

Receive PE4C-PM100C V2.1

Install DIY eGPU Setup 1.30

Set TOLUD to 2GB

Unlock the flash descriptor

Flash MEFW to x2 2.0

Hook up HD 7950

Benchmark like crazy

Sounds like a pieceacake. :-) Am I missing anything?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello everyone,

I have an e6430 on the way and can't wait to try out x2 2.0. Any news on x4 2.0 for this? I'm willing to solder another mPCIe adapter if you could code ports 3 and 4 for x4 (I'm still new and learning).

So far I have left to do:

Receive e6430

Receive PE4C-PM100C V2.1

Install DIY eGPU Setup 1.30

Set TOLUD to 2GB

Unlock the flash descriptor

Flash MEFW to x2 2.0

Hook up HD 7950

Benchmark like crazy

Sounds like a pieceacake. :-) Am I missing anything?

Your eGPU adapter is the first issue:

* PE4C is a x2 2.0 (mostly Gen2 capable - occasional glitches with NVidia on some systems moreso with EC than mPCIe, AMD should be OK) only capable eGPU adapter.

* PE4H 2.4a is x4 capable, but Gen2 is iffy. Though AMD seems to have far more fault tolerant drivers so might be OK for a AMD x4 2.0 eGPU implementation.

REF: PE4H 2.4a + EC2C/PM3N + PCIEMM-060B are not Gen2 compatible

Second issue is port access. http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods.html has a lot more info on your system including a schematic. From that, I can see the E6430 port layout is:

port1 = Mini Card 1
port2 = Mini Card 2
port3 = Expresscard
port4 = E3 Module Bay

x2 is rather simple using the two mPCIe ports after you've done the ME FW mods above and can use your PE4C 2.1

x4 would require routing lines to the module bay to get access to the port4 after which you could attempt wiring it up to a PE4H 2.4a. You'd need to investigate this as there is no precedent for it as yet.

In any case, looking forward to seeing at least a x2 2.0 eGPU implementation there. @timohour was leading the charge in the E6430 thread using homemade eGPU adapters. Yours may be a the first one using BPlus adapters that other interested users can use as a template and replicate.

• Thumbs Up 1

Your eGPU adapter is the first issue:

* PE4C is a x2 2.0 (mostly Gen2 capable - occasional glitches with NVidia on some systems moreso with EC than mPCIe, AMD should be OK) only capable eGPU adapter.

* PE4H 2.4a is x4 capable, but Gen2 is iffy. Though AMD seems to have far more fault tolerant drivers so might be OK for a AMD x4 2.0 eGPU implementation.

REF: PE4H 2.4a + EC2C/PM3N + PCIEMM-060B are not Gen2 compatible

Second issue is port access. http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods.html has a lot more info on your system including a schematic. From that, I can see the E6430 port layout is:

x2 is rather simple using the two mPCIe ports after you've done the ME FW mods above and can use your PE4C 2.1

x4 would require routing lines to the module bay to get access to the port4 after which you could attempt wiring it up to a PE4H 2.4a. You'd need to investigate this as there is no precedent for it as yet.

In any case, looking forward to seeing at least a x2 2.0 eGPU implementation there. @timohour was leading the charge in the E6430 thread using homemade eGPU adapters. Yours may be a the first one using BPlus adapters that other interested users can use as a template and replicate.

Hello there @TheClassicalCat

If you are interested in running x2 2.0 you should probably look for PE4C with 2 mini pcie using ports (port 1 and 2) or you can mod a PM3N adapter

by moding, I mean you should cut the PM3N connector to fit into the ODD/Emodule connector and use tape to isolate all the pins, apart from pins 21, 23, 25, 27, 29, 31, 33, 35 which carry the PET and PER signals

to connect on the module bay port 4 and use EC port 3 and port 4.

I haven't done it yet but visually it fits and according to schematics it appears that the pins are in the correct order. I will upload pictures @ 6430 system mods when I find the time to finish the mod.

if you are interested on a x4, as nando said there is no tested adapter that can handle perfect x4 2.0 signal. You can try the PE4H 2.4a adapter but you should mod the PM3N again for port 4 as described.

Keep in mind that using port 4 Emodule II is not something that I have already tested but I only assume it will work in theory according to schematics.

Hi guys,

Like said in my previous post http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-484.html, here is the video of my problem, i.e. when a game starts running, or a benchmark (e.g. 3dmark13), it crashes before it starts or right after it started (like 1 second):

The description of the problem is in the description of the video on youtube.

Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks!

Hello, I'm new to these forums, but I found you through trying to troubleshoot my DIY eGPU.

I'm having trouble getting my set up to work, but I'm hopeful that it's possible after finding this post middle of the page about an Alienware m14x.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-427.html

My Laptop:

Alienware m14x R1- i7-2630QM 2GHz, Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium, 8 G RAM (I think this might be the issue?)

I have the two GPU onboards, Intel Graphics + Nvidia GT 555M.

BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 1.0 A08

I'm trying to use:

EXP GDC Beast- mPCIE -

CPU: Corsair CX 430

GPU: GTX 970

I have an external monitor and hdmi out from the GPU set up as well.

Now I understand that 970 normally requires a 500+ PSU, but that is for powering a motherboard and entire system, I figured I could get away with a 430 that I had, as the GPU only pulls 145w.

I'm also getting full red lights and fan spins on the GPU, which I think indicates power isn't a problem.

So using this set up, I'm unable to get my laptop to boot with the eGPU attached, I normally will get black screen and beeps, I've tried the standby/attach egpu methods to no luck.

I'm struggling in part because the directions from banggood are in chinese and don't translate well considering the technical requirements.

Additionally, I have two mpcie slots on my laptop. Ideally, I'd like to have this card go in the full size slot,(keeping my half size for the WLAN) but I know sometimes there is a problem with that being intended for wwan only.

This is a fairly broad outline, if I can provide additional details, please let me know. I'm just trying to get this to work.

@Tech Inferno Fan Would this software that you made solve these problems? If this sounds like something that is fixable with the software, I'm happy to make the donation.

Hello,

recently I bought a HP Elitebook 2570p to be able to use Mac (Hackintosh), but to also be able to have Windows 8.1 in dualboot, so that I can use that to play games via eGPU.

My configuration is as follows: Hackintosh Yosemite on the intern SSD (250 GB) and Windows 8.1 on a 500GB SSD which is in the former DVD slot (realized by additional casing).

I installed the Bootload Clover, which launches with every system start and has me chose if I want to boot to Mac or Windows.

Because it runs through UEFI als, I am required to launch the setup1.x through USB flash drive.

However, it doesn’t work as I want it to.

When I use the standard installation ( I stuck to the tutorial), the automatic starting process aborts (after I started it from a flash drive) stating that Chainload caused an error and that I should try MBR instead of MBR2.

Because I use UEFI, this cannot work, though, can it?

Would you please help me and tell me how to configurate Setup1.x in such way that it starts from a USB flash drive (which does work already), but also integrates my eGPU properly, so that I can use it through Windows 8.1?

Hello,

recently I bought a HP Elitebook 2570p to be able to use Mac (Hackintosh), but to also be able to have Windows 8.1 in dualboot, so that I can use that to play games via eGPU.

My configuration is as follows: Hackintosh Yosemite on the intern SSD (250 GB) and Windows 8.1 on a 500GB SSD which is in the former DVD slot (realized by additional casing).

I installed the Bootload Clover, which launches with every system start and has me chose if I want to boot to Mac or Windows.

Because it runs through UEFI als, I am required to launch the setup1.x through USB flash drive.

However, it doesn’t work as I want it to.

When I use the standard installation ( I stuck to the tutorial), the automatic starting process aborts (after I started it from a flash drive) stating that Chainload caused an error and that I should try MBR instead of MBR2.

Because I use UEFI, this cannot work, though, can it?

Would you please help me and tell me how to configurate Setup1.x in such way that it starts from a USB flash drive (which does work already), but also integrates my eGPU properly, so that I can use it through Windows 8.1?

Win8.1 must be installed in MBR mode for chainloading from Setup 1.30 to work.

Ensure when you partition your drive in Disk Utility (MacOSX) that you set the second partition as "FAT". Ensure you have set your bios to CSM/legacy and when boot your Win8.1 media you boot under the legacy section rather than UEFI. The Win8.1 installation will then recognize the available FAT partition and install on there.

I'll mention too that installing Win8.1 in UEFI mode on a 2570P has the advantage of supporting sleep-resume whereas MBR doesn't.

If you are using Setup 1.30 to do PCI compaction then consider you may be able overcome this issue by doing a DSDT override instead. Here's the specifics for a 2570P DSDT override: http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-33.html#post75316

I just wanted to share my recent testings with the EVGA GTX 750Ti on a Thinkpad T61.

Lenovo Thinkpad T61 14.1"

2.2 Ghz Core 2 Duo T7500

Middleton Bios

3 GB ram

Sandisk SSD

EVGA GTX 750Ti 2GB non-superclocked

EVGA 650W Bronze PSU

1080 external monitor

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver 8.15.10.1930

Nvidia Graphics Driver 350.12

PE4L v2.1 to expresscard

I was able to just plug and play similar to my previous findings on the T430s and X230.

I was able to get a 4804 3Dmark 11 Performance Graphics Score with this setup. I find this remarkable considering the x1 1.0 bandwidth transfer speeds. In comparison to the T430s I ran recently, it is only less than 4% loss in DX11 graphics score considering that x1 2.0 speeds. I just think its amazing that the bandwidth plays less of a role as compared to the graphics card itself.

I guess my frankenpad project is a go go! :)

Cheers,

Louiek

Hi, as the title suggest, i was wondering isf its possible to watercool one's E-gpu. And if so is it feasible (Size & cost wise) as compared to just building a watercooled pc itself. Also has anyone done it, and if so links? Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.