eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

hi everybody,

my laptop is a toshiba satellite l50-a-1c7 ( i7-4700mq , 8gb ram , igpu hd 4600 and dgpu 740m)

i will use my mpcie slot to connect the adapter and the gpu will be connected to an external monitor

but i have some questions:

-will this even work on my laptop?

-which gpu will suffer the least from the pcie 2.0 x1 bottleneck: a gtx 960 , a r9 290 or would you recommend and other gpu?

-Can i still use my laptop as a second screen?

-which egpu mcpie adapter would you recommend ?

thanks in advance

I see your card uses 140W maximum: GeForce GTX 660 | Specifications | GeForce

So it depends on your power supply - if it can provide that much power, then yes, DC input is enough. Im not sure, but I think mPCI-E also feeds the card with a little power, but nothing to rely on - dc power should provide most power for the card, just to be safe.

And if you are not hardware guy like me - be careful if you chose to feed the card with ATX PSU - use correct 4-PIN connector.

Ok, friend will give ATX PSU 400W, that should be enough for all except Hubble :) As you wrote above, between PSU and eGPU I'll use provided black (with EC yellow) 4-PIN connector. Will test with friend's Nvidia 8600GT and then with GTX660 . Regarding laptops, main goal for testing is mentioned Dell 7720 17r SE, I'll try to test it also with another laptop HP dv6600 - result might be helpful for all others.

Order is getting shipped now from UK warehouse, next week it will be in my hands I hope.

Hello everyone! I am in desperate need of some assistance!

I have just recently purchased (without properly researching my specific laptop) a EVGA 430W (80 Plus), EVGA SC GTX 750Ti, and lastly a PE4H E2C2 2.4b to use in conjunction with my Latitude E6530. The laptop has a i5-3210, running with no dGPU (Intel HD4000) and 8gb of ram. After receiving the parts, I quickly referenced the material from this forum about the experiences and guides in order to get this to work. I've only seen several searched post of folks either asking if the E6530 would work, and specifically another post where an E6530 was used and worked, but that one had an i7 with a dGPU. Throughout my testing, I have not seen anything on the forums that caught my eye in relation to the issues I am having getting this to work. Furthermore, it is getting quite frustrating.

I began by connecting everything as instructed by guides for different setups, Graphics Card on adapter, adapter powered by 430w power supply, mini HDMI to EC plugged. I had initially not setup the delay switch to see what it would do on bootup. The video card starts spinning once the switch is placed in 2-3, and all lights are responsive. Through inserting the EC while windows is booted, it begins the driver detection and installs a Microsoft Display Adapter. I then installed the drivers supplied on the disc from the manufacturer, install goes well and finalizes (Card is detected by nVidia driver install). After install is complete it ask for a reboot, I reboot. On reboot, the laptop pushes video through the 750Ti and displays on monitor. I am thinking this is a good thing, not really. I fully boot into windows and it gives me an error 12. All the previous threads I have read on "error 12" suggested I perform a few preliminary steps before I do the DSDT method. I try thos steps to no avail, so I revert to doing the DSDT method, showing the proper "Large Memory" in Device Manager.

This is where it gets tricky. First few bootup attempts, it would flip both screens as if initializing and just black screen to windows, with nothing showing up on both screens. Sometimes it would get into windows, with both screens on and monitor displaying the 750Ti. It is not consistent, however, hen i do finally get it to log into windows and run for a bit, after a while if a sound get played it will glitch out and both displays will o to a black screen. So I'm thinking to myself it could be a memory address issue or something. The thing is before it glitched out that 1 out of few times it booted in, I played Elder Scrolls Online for almost 4 hours thinking I was in the clear. I clearly was not, so I came to the conclusion that the Setup 1.3 would assist it getting the right variables loading before windows started for stability. This is where i don't know exactly if i am following the guides correctly or if I am doing anything right, due to no specific guides for my laptop + eGPU setup. Seems like it "can" work, but I I just don't know. I've also tried several compactions setups, but I don't know if it's working? Can someone guide me in the right direction to get it working, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hello everyone! I am in desperate need of some assistance!

I have just recently purchased (without properly researching my specific laptop) a EVGA 430W (80 Plus), EVGA SC GTX 750Ti, and lastly a PE4H E2C2 2.4b to use in conjunction with my Latitude E6530. The laptop has a i5-3210, running with no dGPU (Intel HD4000) and 8gb of ram. After receiving the parts, I quickly referenced the material from this forum about the experiences and guides in order to get this to work. I've only seen several searched post of folks either asking if the E6530 would work, and specifically another post where an E6530 was used and worked, but that one had an i7 with a dGPU. Throughout my testing, I have not seen anything on the forums that caught my eye in relation to the issues I am having getting this to work. Furthermore, it is getting quite frustrating.

I began by connecting everything as instructed by guides for different setups, Graphics Card on adapter, adapter powered by 430w power supply, mini HDMI to EC plugged. I had initially not setup the delay switch to see what it would do on bootup. The video card starts spinning once the switch is placed in 2-3, and all lights are responsive. Through inserting the EC while windows is booted, it begins the driver detection and installs a Microsoft Display Adapter. I then installed the drivers supplied on the disc from the manufacturer, install goes well and finalizes (Card is detected by nVidia driver install). After install is complete it ask for a reboot, I reboot. On reboot, the laptop pushes video through the 750Ti and displays on monitor. I am thinking this is a good thing, not really. I fully boot into windows and it gives me an error 12. All the previous threads I have read on "error 12" suggested I perform a few preliminary steps before I do the DSDT method. I try thos steps to no avail, so I revert to doing the DSDT method, showing the proper "Large Memory" in Device Manager.

This is where it gets tricky. First few bootup attempts, it would flip both screens as if initializing and just black screen to windows, with nothing showing up on both screens. Sometimes it would get into windows, with both screens on and monitor displaying the 750Ti. It is not consistent, however, hen i do finally get it to log into windows and run for a bit, after a while if a sound get played it will glitch out and both displays will o to a black screen. So I'm thinking to myself it could be a memory address issue or something. The thing is before it glitched out that 1 out of few times it booted in, I played Elder Scrolls Online for almost 4 hours thinking I was in the clear. I clearly was not, so I came to the conclusion that the Setup 1.3 would assist it getting the right variables loading before windows started for stability. This is where i don't know exactly if i am following the guides correctly or if I am doing anything right, due to no specific guides for my laptop + eGPU setup. Seems like it "can" work, but I I just don't know. I've also tried several compactions setups, but I don't know if it's working? Can someone guide me in the right direction to get it working, I'd greatly appreciate it.

The glitch you describe is because your PE4H 2.4 is not Gen2 capable. Either switch your EC port to Gen1 (PCIe Ports->Gen1 in Setup 1.30) or get a Gen2 capable eGPU adapter (PE4L 1.5, PE4C 2.1, EXP GDC Beast .. in order of best to worst Gen2 signalling).

Dell also seems to have dynamic TOLUD. Necessary is say removal of a RAM stick and bootup with the eGPU seen by BIOS. Then TOLUD is lowered making it unnecessary for the DSDT override. In fact, it causes a BSOD. I've documented my experience with a similar E6230 at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/2747-12-dell-e6230-hd7870-gtx660@x4gbps-c-ec2-pe4l-2-1b-win7-%5BTech Inferno Fan%5D.html .

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, that seems to have helped, with the switching the speed to Gen 1. I did boot several times to test whether or not the TOLUD would change on me. It stays at 3.24, and that is with booting plugged in or not. I am currently typing this 10 minutes into booting up into windows with no driver fails or errors. I have set the eGPU in 36-bit space and this is with DSDT /w TESTSIGNING ON. I will continue to test with next bootup, with the same variable settings to see if it's continually successful.

Followup: I have been able to recreate the environment for the 36-bit allocation. All is needed to be done in this case with a Dell Latitude E6530, with no dGPU, is to allot the Large Memory to windows using the DSDT override method, along with the addition of the Setup 1.x. Environment variables used are mainly manual, I have yet to create a startup.bat. I have set in manual mode, the PCIe slot to Gen 1(Will not work, or glitches in Gen 2), moved the eGPU via compaction to 36-bit space and no change to iGPU. Once set, make sure you have selected MBR Chainload, not MBR2. I have not been able to get mbr2 to work. I test run chainload into windows 8.1 and it works flawlessly as far as I can tell. I have also run 3dmark, and Heaven Benchmark multiple times with no issues. I will end up in the long run, taking the recommmendation to run the PE4C 2.1 as it supports Gen 2 speeds over Gen 1. I usually travel 60-70% of the year and would like to put this into a not so hard to figure out enclosure fit for a suitcase, anyone have any ideas on this?

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, friend will give ATX PSU 400W, that should be enough for all except Hubble :) As you wrote above, between PSU and eGPU I'll use provided black (with EC yellow) 4-PIN connector. Will test with friend's Nvidia 8600GT and then with GTX660 . Regarding laptops, main goal for testing is mentioned Dell 7720 17r SE, I'll try to test it also with another laptop HP dv6600 - result might be helpful for all others.

Order is getting shipped now from UK warehouse, next week it will be in my hands I hope.

I dont know what you mean by provided black (with EC yellow) 4-PIN connector (Im not hardware guy), all I know:

DO NOT USE THIS 4-PIN: http://www.play3r.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Be-Quiet-Pure-Power-L8-530W-20+4-Pin.jpg (this is part of ATX 24-PIN motherboard connector (20PIN+4PIN);

USE: 4-PIN labaled "CPU": It should look something like this (4PIN+4PIN): http://www.corsair.com/Media/catalog/product/c/p/cp-8920115_eps_12v_cpu_conn.png

Hy,

I will be short because I'm writing from phone and I'm egpu with this laptop sent me almost to madness.

I bought exp gdc beast v6 from bangood paired with Gainward GTX 660 and dell 220p power supply.

My laptop is Lenovo G510 ( i3 4000m 2.4 ghz, 8 GB ddr3 ram,1TB SSHD and Intel HD 4600 ) and only way to connect was via mpcie after removal of Wi-Fi card.

I followed guides from this forum,YouTube tried every possible way to force egpu and no succes.

Adapter and card are functional ( forum member darkydark tested on his Dell and egpu started working almost instantly on external monitor ) .

So after trying booting with Wi-Fi card then going to sleep and connecting egpu and resuming again with no change ) I contacted darkydark who wrote articles for PC magazine about egpu.

He tried with DIY egpu tutorial about whitelisting in any possible way with no guess what succes because Lenovo obviously upgraded whitelist.

What can I do,what option is left ?

Pain was even doubled when I started getting BSOD right before logon screen,I tried restoring ports with DIY egpu,tried every option there with no succes,BSOD appears every time,couldnt repair with last known good configuration and cant reach safe mod ( this happens with Wi-Fi card in mpcie and without,also with egpu )

Is there any way to fix this ?

Thanks in advance.

I dont know what you mean by provided black (with EC yellow) 4-PIN connector (Im not hardware guy), all I know:

DO NOT USE THIS 4-PIN: http://www.play3r.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Be-Quiet-Pure-Power-L8-530W-20+4-Pin.jpg (this is part of ATX 24-PIN motherboard connector (20PIN+4PIN);

USE: 4-PIN labaled "CPU": It should look something like this (4PIN+4PIN): http://www.corsair.com/Media/catalog/product/c/p/cp-8920115_eps_12v_cpu_conn.png

I'll use this one (it should be included in order) - http://img.banggood.com/images/2014/tanghong/07/SKU149984/SKU149984-62.jpg

Or, at 1:22 in this video

I own a pe4h + e2c2 kit, which I have working with my Dell Latitude E6530 via DSDT/Setup 1.3 running a EVGA SC 750Ti GTX paired with an EVGA 430W 80 plus PS. I am looking to expand the throughput by slotting another connection for x2 to my mPCIe (pm3n?)slot. For the life of me I cannot find a store or site that just sells the cable with mPCIe adapter. Anyone happen to have any clues? Also, will I possibly run into any issues running x2, without dramatically changing startup with setup 1.30?

Hopefully someone has an answer for me.

I own a pe4h + e2c2 kit, which I have working with my Dell Latitude E6530 via DSDT/Setup 1.3 running a EVGA SC 750Ti GTX paired with an EVGA 430W 80 plus PS. I am looking to expand the throughput by slotting another connection for x2 to my mPCIe (pm3n?)slot. For the life of me I cannot find a store or site that just sells the cable with mPCIe adapter. Anyone happen to have any clues? Also, will I possibly run into any issues running x2, without dramatically changing startup with setup 1.30?

Hopefully someone has an answer for me.

Amazon.com: Bplus:PM3N; mini PCIe Card to converted port: Computers & Accessories

http://www.amazon.com/Bplus-PCIEMM-060A-Male-cable-60cm/dp/B00P0RMF56/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2LG6SUAZFT9TS

The cable, I think I remember hearing, is any HDMI cable, but you should verify that before not getting a certified BPlus one

• Thumbs Up 1

Perfect, the fact that it's fulfilled by amazon too means it will get to me fairly quick, going to try the x2 setup with both cables. I have recently found out that I do have an extra slot that can be used.

Perfect, the fact that it's fulfilled by amazon too means it will get to me fairly quick, going to try the x2 setup with both cables. I have recently found out that I do have an extra slot that can be used.

PE4H 2.4a + EC2C/PM3N + PCIEMM-060B are not Gen2 compatible. Makes little sense to run a x2 1.0 that's complicated to get going (see here) than to just revert to a single cable x1 2.0 link using a Gen2 capable PE4L 2.1b (or slightly less so a PE4C 2.1).

go to checking my tolud. CFA00000 - FEAFFFFF = 3.25GB.

Going to DSDT override, but I'm still confusing about tutorial.

can I solve this problem w/o dsdt override and setup 1.x

The reason you are seeing the error 12 with the GTX750Ti and not the GTX560 is because NVidia's newer cards require 256MB+32MB of PCIe config space. The older cards would use 128MB+64MB or 128MB+32MB so could fit easier into emtpy space. This larger PCIe config space is required by GTX650/GTX750/GTX9xx.

The 3.25GB TOLUD would give you room to allocate the GTX750Ti using Setup 1.30.

hi again , at page 477 i asked some questions regarding my setup , ( optimus+internal LCD doesnt work when i have egpu+dgpu+igpu )

Please , i would appreciate some help on this.

thanks

PE4H 2.4a + EC2C/PM3N + PCIEMM-060B are not Gen2 compatible. Makes little sense to run a x2 1.0 that's complicated to get going (see here) than to just revert to a single cable x1 2.0 link using a Gen2 capable PE4L 2.1b (or slightly less so a PE4C 2.1).

I purchased two Type C to Type C Mini Hdmi 1m cables from cables for less, and they currently work on x1, the post your referencing is for an older version laptop. Can the same be said for the E6530? Furthermore, I'm not comfortable doing a bios mod to a E6530, meant for a E6430 (Unless the 6530 is referenced somewhere in the post that I didn't catch). If I could return the product I would go for the PE4C, like you have suggested.

I hope someone can help me... I'm desperate FY Gav4ME4Mfv7M5PAQYAzrxiaTIvJb0AAAAASUVORK5CYII=

After hours upon hours of testing, I x have a few questions. My System:

Thinkpad w540 i7 4710MQ

16gb RAM

dGPU k1100m quadro

eGPU gtx 960 4gb

via expresscard slot, which seems to be pci slot 4

Everything seems fine but I keep getting either error 12 or 43 in DM and I cant figure out why. I tried a DSDT override - got bluescreen.

PCI compaction seems to work fine. I uninstalled and installed drivers like crazy for hours and tested. I tried a whole lot of different configurations in setup 1.30 and I keep getting this error. Since I'm not a professional I don't understand exactly what the problem is. I think that this configuration should work, since I saw other people on internet running similar configurations, but I cant figure it out.

Flash your default bios. I had bluescreen too on startup. I flashed my default bios and solvedd...

Guys, my system

Asus K53SV i5-2410m

EXP GDC

Asus GTX760 DCUII O.C.

I am getting ''display driver not responding....'' error. I set my GTX760 default clock speed, closed all power management setting on pc and nvidia control panel.

What should i do ? Is anyone know this situation ?

Flash your default bios. I had bluescreen too on startup. I flashed my default bios and solvedd...

Guys, my system

Asus K53SV i5-2410m

EXP GDC

Asus GTX760 DCUII O.C.

I am getting ''display driver not responding....'' error. I set my GTX760 default clock speed, closed all power management setting on pc and nvidia control panel.

What should i do ? Is anyone know this situation ?

Switch your mPCIe port to Gen1 using Setup 1.30 OR get a better Gen2 capable eGPU adapter such as a PE4L 2.1b. I documented the glitches with Gen2 signalling giving the "NVidia driver has stopped responding" at the start of the EXP GDC thread.

I hope someone can help me... I'm desperate

After hours upon hours of testing, I x have a few questions. My System:

Thinkpad w540 i7 4710MQ

16gb RAM

dGPU k1100m quadro

eGPU gtx 960 4gb

via expresscard slot, which seems to be pci slot 4

Everything seems fine but I keep getting either error 12 or 43 in DM and I cant figure out why. I tried a DSDT override - got bluescreen.

PCI compaction seems to work fine. I uninstalled and installed drivers like crazy for hours and tested. I tried a whole lot of different configurations in setup 1.30 and I keep getting this error. Since I'm not a professional I don't understand exactly what the problem is. I think that this configuration should work, since I saw other people on internet running similar configurations, but I cant figure it out.

Uninstall all your current NVidia drivers then run DDU to clear the registry of any remaining NVidia references. DDU will also stop auto-reloading of your K1100M driver if running Windows 8.1.

Reboot, load latest NVidia desktop driver for the GTX960. Then continue your correcting of error 12 with Setup 1.30.

Hello, I have a hp pavilion dv7 6090es, i7-2630QM shandy bridge, with bios inside f.1b mbr, dual graphic hd 3000 + amd 6770m with driver Catalyst_15.4_Beta_1_UnifL from leshcat labs and windows 7. I´m planning to use the mpcie wifi port. I don`t buyed anything yet, but i want to try this EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock - US$49.99 and possibly a nvidia GTX ¿...?. So my question is if i have troubles (whitelisting mostly), your software will solve it?, is significantly better using a PE4C-PM100C V2.1 or any other you recommend?, also which grapich you recommend, amd or nvidia?. Thanks in advance.

Thanks nando! It kinda works now, except for one annoying thing :/

My display driver keeps crashing because it stopped responding recovers soon after, which makes gaming impossible. My PSU works fine and I even tried to lower clock speed of the eGPU - it still stopped responding under load.

In 'normal' use like surfing etc I got no problem at all.

Thanks nando! It kinda works now, except for one annoying thing :/

My display driver keeps crashing because it stopped responding recovers soon after, which makes gaming impossible. My PSU works fine and I even tried to lower clock speed of the eGPU - it still stopped responding under load.

In 'normal' use like surfing etc I got no problem at all.

Back up to my previous post above to see an explanation of this becauese your eGPU adapter that can't provide a reliable Gen2 link and how to correct it with Setup 1.30 or a replacement eGPU adapter.

Is the PE4H 2.4b able to do e2c2 and pm3n adapters at the same time? I can get them to detect seperately on port one just fine. But any combination of both, whichever is on the first port is the only one detected.

HI guys, Im owning MSI GE60 Apache Pro and trying to find the best egpu for this laptop :(. Too many products I dont know which one is good for my laptop. Anyone can give me some advice? Im planning to buy a 970. But dont know which one better. I live in Australia :( PLease help me. my 860M is suck.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.