eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

I have a Compaw Presario CQ57 laptop.

Intel HD Graphics 3000

Intel 6 series chipset

Intel i7 2620m CPU

Okay, will do! Just wondering what exactly hotplugging is? Also, with this Beast eGPU adapter using the 6s, 7s, and 14s switches don't really yield much success from booting the laptop when it's shut down. I have been unplugging the HDMI to mPCIe cable, I power it, then I plug it in once the screen turns on. Even doing this I have to reboot eGPU 1.3 at least a couple times for it to recognize the GPU.

The requirement to reboot Setup 1.30 multiple times to get the eGPU recognized is a concern. Furthermore, you are using a Compaq machine. Often there you need to boot with the wifi card to Setup 1.30, then *carefully* remove the wifi card and insert the mPCIe end of the eGPU adapter into the wifi slot and hit F5 to rescan for it. This is called hotplugging and all reset switches on the eGPU adapter should be disabled when you do this.

Hi,

I followed your instructions and when I chose "test run" there is this message:

Warning: status all_alloc isnt yes some unallocated pci devices exist......"

when I continue anyway, the gtx970 has an error code 43 in the device manager and wifi as well as my bluetooth mouse dont work...so I tried reinstalling the nvidia and intel drivers but the result is always error 43

I also tried the PCI compaction with all possibilities like it is mentioned in the F1 help but the best I could come up with is a successful boot to windows with error 43...I just cant find a way to avoid this error. Tech Inferno Fan, do you have another idea?

Please follow the instructions being provided to FrozenJamaican from here who too is getting error 43.

@Tech Inferno Fan and FrozenJamaican:

Thanks for your help, I had to experiment a bit until error 43 was gone! This works for me:

newest Intel+Nvidia drivers. Disable dGPU and chainload to Win7. Unplug eGPU if it is plugged (and error 43 is shown) and put Windows to sleep. Now plug in eGPU and wake up the laptop. Now the error is gone :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I have bought the components for an Egpu connected everything together, installed drivers however I have a Code 12 in device manager ( Not enough resources) does anyone have any suggestions to fix this as I have tried disabling Intel graphics and still Code 12.

Prompt what better to take EXP GDC Вeast V7.0 or PE4C V2.1 Laptop Dell Inspiron 7720?

Interface connection - PCI-E

ОС: Windows 8.1 Professional x64

BIOS: Phoenix

Chipset: Intel Panther Point HM77, Intel Ivy Bridge

CPU: Mobile QuadCore Intel Core i7-3630QM, 3200 MHz (32 x 100)

IGP: Intel HD Graphics 4000

GP: nVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (2 GB)

RAM: 8 GB

Monitor: CMN N173HGE (Dell HDKPV) [17.3" LCD]

Prompt what better to take EXP GDC Вeast V7.0 or PE4C V2.1 Laptop Dell Inspiron 7720?

Take whichever you prefer, as many posters already have posted - Beast is known to be of less quality (in a sense of faults/ not working), but it is cheaper, PE4C is more expensive, supposed to be of better quality. There is no difference in performance between those two options.

if you chose Beast, I have seen posts that v6.1 is better than v7.0. comparison here: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/6643-exp-gdc-beast-ares-v7-v6-discussion.html

In the first post of the thread find section: "Why EXP GDC V6/V7s better than PE4C V2.1?" You will see advantages and disadvantages of both.

Why do you have doubts regarding any of those options? If you are asking regarding compatibility, then as far as I understand - if one of them will work, then the other will also work for you.

EDIT: as for Tech Inferno Fan post, there are people claiming that beast also works with Gen2 speed:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/diy-egpu-for-dell-xps-l702x-required-physical-modifications.763330/

It all depends on your luck I guess (probably on the quality of your cable).

The idea is - Beast also supports Gen2 speeds, but it might not work for you, may be due to poor quality hardware (this is what I already mentioned in first line of my post).

Also manufacturer claims that they support Gen2 here: http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-p-934367.html

From my experience, I rate the devices in terms of Gen2 compliance in order from best to worst as:

PE4L 2.1 > PE4C 2.1 > EXP GDC Beast

BPlus are still investigating a solution to their PE4C V2.1 failing at Gen2 speed on some systems with no ETA for a revised adapter as yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Take whichever you prefer, as many posters already have posted - Beast is known to be of less quality (in a sense of faults/ not working), but it is cheaper, PE4C is more expensive, supposed to be of better quality. There is no difference in performance between those two options.

if you chose Beast, I have seen posts that v6.1 is better than v7.0. comparison here: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/6643-exp-gdc-beast-ares-v7-v6-discussion.html

In the first post of the thread find section: "Why EXP GDC V6/V7s better than PE4C V2.1?" You will see advantages and disadvantages of both.

Why do you have doubts regarding any of those options? If you are asking regarding compatibility, then as far as I understand - if one of them will work, then the other will also work for you.

Thanks for the help, I think taking BPlus PE4C V2.1. It should take just a power supply Dell D220P speakers? or something on the more powerful

Thanks for the help, I think taking BPlus PE4C V2.1. It should take just a power supply Dell D220P speakers? or something on the more powerful

Read also edited posts and post by Tech Inferno Fan.

Regarding power supply - it depends on external video card you are going to use. Because the power supply will power the video card - you have to know how much power the card requires.

Thanks for the help so far.

I got it all up and running.. But I have a problem.

My Thinkpad w520 recognizes the card, and I can install drivers for it, and it shows up in device manager. but it seams that the system still wants to run the Discrete or the internal gfx card. I tried disable the internal card, no luck. I also uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers.

Nvidia control panel tells me "You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU."

What can I do?

Originally Posted by Megaxxx Prompt what better to take EXP GDC Вeast V7.0 or PE4C V2.1 Laptop Dell Inspiron 7720?

Hello Megaxxx, as I see you have the same laptop as me and I asked the same question. I want to order Beast and test it first with some cheap eGPU. Please, keep me updated how will work PE4C, I'll do the same with Beast. Any experience can help to each one of us.

And weird that no one described experience with our Dell 7720 yet, its an excellent laptop and eGPU can make it even more powerful.

Thx

Originally Posted by Megaxxx Prompt what better to take EXP GDC Вeast V7.0 or PE4C V2.1 Laptop Dell Inspiron 7720?

Hello Megaxxx, as I see you have the same laptop as me and I asked the same question. I want to order Beast and test it first with some cheap eGPU. Please, keep me updated how will work PE4C, I'll do the same with Beast. Any experience can help to each one of us.

And weird that no one described experience with our Dell 7720 yet, its an excellent laptop and eGPU can make it even more powerful.

Thx

In my opinion it comes down to 2 things:

1) chipset: on this depends speed of the PCI-E port

2) BIOS: on this depends if the external card will be detected and allowed.

I have the same chipset as you and Beast (v6.1) works flawless for me. I even have same CPU and IGPU as you.

I finally received a Beast replacement (I destroyed my first one by connecting it incorrectly - used wrong 4-PIN power cable from ATX PSU).

So now I can confirm - I have used two Beasts. Both have Gen2 speed on my setup (with Nvidia GTX 970 external GPU).

Today I had 6 hours of gaming one of the latest games (Evil within - assignment) on 1080p max settings at 50-60 FPS. Laptop did not crash once.

So as for your Dell laptop - it only comes down to BIOS, if it allows unapproved hardware connected to PCI-E port, then you are good to go.

to make it short - you can go and buy whichever adapter you want and you will be happy with it. if you chose beast - remember, you can get 8% off the price - just look for my first post on this forum.

Here is proof that it runs on Gen2 speed:

post-35209-14494999940074_thumb.gif

here is my unigine heaven benchmark results:

post-35209-14494999940271_thumb.png

I have the same chipset as you and Beast (v6.1) works flawless for me. I even have same CPU and IGPU as you.

I finally received a Beast replacement (I destroyed my first one by connecting it incorrectly - used wrong 4-PIN power cable from ATX PSU).

So now I can confirm - I have used two Beasts. Both have Gen2 speed on my setup (with Nvidia GTX 970 external GPU).

Today I had 6 hours of gaming one of the latest games (Evil within - assignment) on 1080p max settings at 50-60 FPS. Laptop did not crash once.

So as for your Dell laptop - it only comes down to BIOS, if it allows unapproved hardware connected to PCI-E port, then you are good to go.

to make it short - you can go and buy whichever adapter you want and you will be happy with it. if you chose beast - remember, you can get 8% off the price - just look for my first post on this forum.

I've commended on EXP GDC before. I tested all three adapters with an ITX GTX670: PE4L 2.1b, PE4C V2.1 and EXP GDC V6 on a Dell E6440. Only the PE4L 2.1b would give a Gen2 link with no occasional glitch. The PE4C V2.1 would very occasionally glitch and the EXP GDC would regularly glitch.

how often is regularly? once per week? maybe I will still have those glitches in future, but do not have yet, because I have used my first Beast for couple of days and this second only 1 day of 6 hour non-stop gaming.

I suspect that Beast v6.1 does not have Gen2 glitches and v6 does, because I have none. Or maybe I got lucky with my setup (have perfect laptop and perfect Beast - with no hardware problems) and have most stable hardware.

Tech Inferno Fan, I think you have to test v6.1 adapter.

As I wrote, my setup:

laptop: Acer V3-771G

eGPU: GeForce 970

adapter: Beast v6.1 mPCI-E version

PSU: 750W ATX Corsair CX750M

Everything is plug and play - I did not have to install anything third party or configure anything, steps I did:

1) connect eGPU and start system

2) install driver from GeForce 970 driver CD (which uninstalled dGPU driver)

3) restarted Windows with BSOD, so removed eGPU, started up and disable dGPU, then connected eGPU and started without BSOD

4) connected monitor to eGPU

Maybe you have problem with Gen2 on laptops internal LCD setup? Because I have not even tried that. I only game on external monitor.

EXP GDC V6 would glitch approx once an hour. PE4C V2.1 would glitch maybe once every 6 hours. PE4L 2.1b never glitched. That was using the eGPU as an extended desktop to run my OS. No gaming.

Problem is consistent with internal or external LCD use and others have expressed seeing this too (inc Beast) in the EXP GDC thread.

Thx

Yes, of course, how I will test'll tell you what happens. We will be in touch. And because the notebook is very good viduh only improve and more what he did not need! If there is something to learn sooner or vozmesh, accomplish your goal.

- - - Updated - - -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14713[/ATTACH]

here is my unigine heaven benchmark results:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14714[/ATTACH]

Gain an excellent FPS and connected to an external monitor or a laptop and some food use to Nvidia GTX 970? And there are devices poderzhivayuschie Gen3 very interesting to know. Thank you

Yes, of course, how I will test'll tell you what happens. We will be in touch. And because the notebook is very good viduh only improve and more what he did not need! If there is something to learn sooner or vozmesh, accomplish your goal.

- - - Updated - - -

Gain an excellent FPS and connected to an external monitor or a laptop and some food use to Nvidia GTX 970? And there are devices poderzhivayuschie Gen3 very interesting to know. Thank you

Yes, see the full setup and benchmark tests here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/provisional-guides/9762-17-acer-v3-771g-gtx970%404gbps-e-mpcie2-exp-gdc-beast-win7-64-%5Brgpu%5D.html

I am pretty much surprised myself because GPU ran at 100% usage - this means I was not bottlenecked by mPCI-E

EDIT: my eGPU is not Gen3 speed, it is Gen2 - on external monitor.

Samsung RF511 A01

8Gb Ram

Trying to run EGPU set up with this graphics card all drivers installed however keep experiencing Code 12 error not enough resources.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this error?

Samsung RF511 A01

8Gb Ram

Trying to run EGPU set up with this graphics card all drivers installed however keep experiencing Code 12 error not enough resources.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this error?

Yes. Consider:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-a.html

Hi thank you for getting back to me @Tech Inferno Fan I have read through this guide and the other guide for DSDT as well, however I am still concerned about errors which would cause my laptop to cease functioning. If it does go wrong how do I restore my laptop to its previous state?

Thank you for your time.

Hi guys, it's been about 1 year that I've decided to buy a msi workstation with a thunderbolt 2 enclosure to make an E-gpu, and after many try I've managed to make everything run (with a gtx 660)

but I still got one problem: The card is detected, connected and run but i can't initialize it.

On Gpu-z I can see my card but there is no clock showed. Nando once told me that this was an initialization problem, but I don't Know what to do !!! Please help!!!

Hi guys, it's been about 1 year that I've decided to buy a msi workstation with a thunderbolt 2 enclosure to make an E-gpu, and after many try I've managed to make everything run (with a gtx 660)

but I still got one problem: The card is detected, connected and run but i can't initialize it.

On Gpu-z I can see my card but there is no clock showed. Nando once told me that this was an initialization problem, but I don't Know what to do !!! Please help!!!

Consider using an AKiTiO Thunder2 instead of the Sonnet III-D. The III-D introduces a PCIe bridge to split off the Thunderbolt link to 3 PCIe slots that has caused other ppl issues and may very well be doing the same to you. There's a reference WS-60 eGPU implementation at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/9576-15-msi-ws60-2oj-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-%5Borowheat%5D.html#post129250 .

Thank you very much man, ordered with your coupon code, will keep you and Megaxxx updated about my status... I hope the only problem will be BIOS, (now using Dell Inc. A03, 13.7.2012). On Dell website is official update to BIOS A16 which should fix the invisibility of iGPU Intel HD 4000. And after that it should also allow to disable dGPU GT650M. Wish me luck! :)

As a power supply I will try simple DC input, first card for testing should be GTX660 and if I'm not wrong, 12V DC power supply should be enough. Or am I wrong?

Thank you again

Thank you very much man, ordered with your coupon code, will keep you and Megaxxx updated about my status... I hope the only problem will be BIOS, (now using Dell Inc. A03, 13.7.2012). On Dell website is official update to BIOS A16 which should fix the invisibility of iGPU Intel HD 4000. And after that it should also allow to disable dGPU GT650M. Wish me luck! :)

As a power supply I will try simple DC input, first card for testing should be GTX660 and if I'm not wrong, 12V DC power supply should be enough. Or am I wrong?

Thank you again

I see your card uses 140W maximum: GeForce GTX 660 | Specifications | GeForce

So it depends on your power supply - if it can provide that much power, then yes, DC input is enough. Im not sure, but I think mPCI-E also feeds the card with a little power, but nothing to rely on - dc power should provide most power for the card, just to be safe.

And if you are not hardware guy like me - be careful if you chose to feed the card with ATX PSU - use correct 4-PIN connector.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.