eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Eureka - got DSTD override to work and 1.30 to get my 750 TI SC (edit: this is for 2540p i7 with a SSD drive and 4 gb of ram - will test with 8 tomorrow). No HDMI audio, but I prefer head phones 90% of the time anyway. 7.7 scores for graphics. Will look into optimizing this thing later, I thought 750 or this laptop supported faster transfer but egpu only showing gen 1 - not sure if I need to manually push gen 2 through 1.30 but will check later.

Basically gave up last night but couldn't stay away and decided to read up pretty much through everything out there... I will write a full guide later because I can retrace all of my steps and some may help but basically it involved compiling my dsdt and fixing everything, including stuff everyone said you can usually ignore (remarks/warnings). So now I have a clean dsdt.. tested out cities skylines, runs great.

Quick question - when I upgrade it to 8 gb of ram - do I need to redo the setup process and everything - thought I read that somewhere? Or can I just pop it in and go with my current settings?

Cheers and thanks again everyone for all your comments here as every little bit helped. Feels like I should be coding apps now.

The dedication has paid off. Congratulations on getting it all going :78:

2540P is a Series-5 chipset that's only Gen1 capable on the Southbridge ports. The chipset documentation talks about Gen2 but that's only for power management. Need a Series-6 chipset used to host Sandy Bridge (2nd gen i-core) or newer Intel chipsets to run a Gen2 link.

You might , but more likely won't have to, do the DSDT override again after upgrading to 8GB. I say might because if there are any memory pointers that are changed by the BIOS in the ACPI tables with the upgrade then they'll be referring to the incorrect location as specificied by your 4GB DSDT override. WHen you take your DSDT dump and decompile, compare it against the original one with 4GB to see if there are any changes.

The dedication has paid off. Congratulations on gettPing it all going :78:

2540P is a Series-5 chipset that's only Gen1 capable on the Southbridge ports. The chipset documentation talks about Gen2 but that's only for power management. Need a Series-6 chipset used to host Sandy Bridge (2nd gen i-core) or newer Intel chipsets to run a Gen2 link.

You might , but more likely won't have to, do the DSDT override again after upgrading to 8GB. I say might because if there are any memory pointers that are changed by the BIOS in the ACPI tables with the upgrade then they'll be referring to the incorrect location as specificied by your 4GB DSDT override. WHen you take your DSDT dump and decompile, compare it against the original one with 4GB to see if there are any changes.

Hehe, paid off in money or just pure sastisfaction - who knows - either way wow.. it did.. 8 gb is in :)

Curious thing is that cities skylines ran on 2 gb ( would shut down if I had couple things open) but with 4 in, it said 2.5 used or so, and now with 8, says 3.5.

Either way - can't express my joy if only because I know jack shit about coding and bang, knocked this out. My gf.. not so impressed.. whatever.

Ordering caddy and bigger hdd next. Just learned I don't have essata on this model which is meh... but okay. I'm still consider 2570 as I've mentioned in another thread - seems like a great machine. But for now.. having win7 and 8 gb and 1080p on highest settings.. and it's on a workbook? Man.... Awesome - Was about to drop 1500 for a sager!

edit: and yes I will write up a guide - not sure how useful it will be but I found many random comments useful when doing this. Just totally random really... Some guy saying he change blah to blah and it wasn't for my system and didn't worked but if I added extra variable for reasons I know not, it did work - well - it'll be in my 'guide'. cheers!

p.s. no hdmi audio though :(

Anyone who can test eGPU (x1 gen1/2) with GTA V?

GTA V via GTX 970 eGPU on Notebook. All Maxed (1366x768) Courtesy of @John Wayne

System

Acer 5750G

i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz

8GB RAM DDR 1333Mhz

Intel HD 3000 + GT540m

Windows 8.1 Enterprise

eGPU

MSI GTX 970 4G

PE4C V2.1 + PM100C running a x1 2.0 link

PSU 220W Dell DA-2

internal LCD

• Thumbs Up 1

Ensure the expresscard slot is enabled in the BIOS, boot Win8.1, then hotplug the expresscard slot. If the eGPU chain (adapter, cable, video card + PSU, expresscard slot, ) are working then the video card will be detected. If it's not detected, then it's a matter of isolating parts that work in the chain to figure out what the problem is. I'll say I've had one PE4C V2.1 die on me from hotplugging it so that is the likely faulty component.
Thanks Tech Inferno Fan. I wish I could get an error in device manager. Nothing showing here.

I've verified the expresscard is enabled in BIOS and tried hotplugging to no avail. I'm using a Dell DA-2 and tried a couple now, as well as verifying the card is functional. I'm down to the adapter or cable, which I can't isolate to troubleshoot (that I know of), I guess it's back to to Bplus (via Amazon) as I'm out of options.

Thanks so much for your help and I'll keep all posted. I'm pretty stubborn and will (hopefully, eventually) prevail.

Cheers!

Hello nando and everyone !

I verified my tolud which is 3.25GB. If I plan to use "2x 2.0" do I need more free memory or It will be okay with this tolud size ?

Another concern, if using external screen there is an added performance with "1.xOpt" in comparison with simple "1x EC2" ?

(PE4C 2.1)

Hello nando and everyone !

I verified my tolud which is 3.25GB. If I plan to use "2x 2.0" do I need more free memory or It will be okay with this tolud size ?

Another concern, if using external screen there is an added performance with "1.xOpt" in comparison with simple "1x EC2" ?

(PE4C 2.1)

x1.2Opt accelerates mostly dx9 apps. Anywhere from 30-300 % over x1.2. A comparison of their performance can be found at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/2747-12-dell-e6230-hd7870-gtx660@x4gbps-c-ec2-pe4l-2-1b-win7-%5BTech Inferno Fan%5D.html

x2 2.0 appears feasible on Sandy/Ivy Bridge Latitude/Precision machines. Its an involved process one which @timohour has taken a lead on as seen at http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/6980-14-dell-latitude-e6440-owners-lounge-11.html#post129914 .

• Thumbs Up 1

NEWS :

I ordered the PE4C 2.1 with "EC to HDMI 100cm"and "mPCI-e to HDMI 100cm", I wonder how much time it takes from Taiwan to Morocco ?

Time to buy a GTX970 and a PSU, I will keep you with the news once the package arrive ! :32_002:

Hi there,

I have a Latitude E6230 and a 750 TI on a PE4L (mpcie unfortunately). I am having a bit of trouble getting an optimus setup working.

When I have it in at boot it of course disables igpu which is no good. When I suspend the laptop and attach the egpu it simply reboots the system.

I tried setting PERST to as high as I can and it didn't help unfortunately. Any way to extend PERST? Seems like the easiest solution. Other than optimus not working the setup works flawlessly atm

When I had an E6530 I discovered a way to make optimus work without that tool.

In device manager there should be a Xeon root hub that has the dgpu attached to it. Simply disable that root hub in device manager and reboot and you should now have it working without the need for setup 1.x

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi there,

I have a Latitude E6230 and a 750 TI on a PE4L (mpcie unfortunately). I am having a bit of trouble getting an optimus setup working.

When I have it in at boot it of course disables igpu which is no good. When I suspend the laptop and attach the egpu it simply reboots the system.

I tried setting PERST to as high as I can and it didn't help unfortunately. Any way to extend PERST? Seems like the easiest solution. Other than optimus not working the setup works flawlessly atm

Unfortunately if PERST doesn't give a long enough delay and the sleep-resume method doesn't work, then pretty much your options are:

* create a modded PM3N with a jumper to start CLKRUN# after you pass bios boot. I did this here.

* get an expresscard adapter PE4C with CLKRUN# and PERST# delay. Though you'd find the expresscard version of say the PE4L 2.1b could easily be hotplugged after boot, eliminating the need for delay switches.

I could use a little guidance with my set-up, I’m having trouble getting the eGPU to be detected and appear in device manager. My set-up is:

* Lenovo T530 with current bios 2.63.1.13, i7-3630QM, 8GB RAM

* Integrated HD 4000 and Nvidia NVS 5400M

* Windows 8.1 Pro x64

* GTX 680

* PE4C V2.1 with Express Card cable connection

* Dell 220W 8-pin power supply

* External monitor by HDMI from GTX 680

I’ve never been able to get the eGPU detected. I’ve tried powering on at various times (at start-up, in sleep mode, etc) and wiping all drivers. I’ve tinkered a little in the bios with gen 1 vs. automatic mode and disabling/enabling iGPU/dGPU.

All I ever see is the fan momentarily spin up when first powered on or returnign from sleep mode, then nothing.

What would you suggest trying next here? Thanks!

Update: I am now error 12! Hooray!!

It turns out I had not one, but two misbehaving Dell DA-2 supplies, or maybe just luck, but I tried a third this morning and was able to get the GTX 680 to appear in the device manager (!) with error 12 of course :). I bought a six pack of the power supplies, supposedly tested/working, off eBay. I'll test the pack a little more later to see what the deal is there, but now....

I have tried disabling the iGPU or dGPU in the bios and/or the OS, but still get stuck at error 12. I'm running through the error 12 troubleshooting checklist. Any other suggestions or is the next step "Use eGPU Setup 1.x PCI Compaction."?

Cheers!

Update 2: Up and running! The trick was to NOT have the cable from the GTX 680 to the monitor plugged in while booting up.

I can boot with all three GPUs active. Disabling HD4000 (iGPU) does not seem to affect 3DMark 11 score: P7869 graphics 8176, physics 7553, combo 6459.

Thanks to all for the experience of the forums :).

Well according to BPLUS the PE4L 2.1A and PE4L 2.1B are both PCIe 3.0. Here is the email......

Hello sir,

Both PE4L can up to Gen3,

But this depend on your system and host,

So we can not guarantee the performance can up to Gen3 or not.

If you have any more question,

Please feel free to contact us,

Thanks again

*BR

Derek

陳逸隆 Derek Chen

BPLUS Technology Co., Ltd.

9F-1, No 88, Zhou-Tzyy st, Nei-Hu,Taipei 11493 Taiwan

Tel: +886-2-7736-0128 #740

Fax: +886-2-7736-0126

Can anyone confirm this or hooked up the adapter to a PCIe 3.0 slot with a PCIe 3.0 card?

Well according to BPLUS the PE4L 2.1A and PE4L 2.1B are both PCIe 3.0. Here is the email......

Hello sir,

Both PE4L can up to Gen3,

But this depend on your system and host,

So we can not guarantee the performance can up to Gen3 or not.

If you have any more question,

Please feel free to contact us,

Thanks again

*BR

Derek

陳逸隆 Derek Chen

BPLUS Technology Co., Ltd.

9F-1, No 88, Zhou-Tzyy st, Nei-Hu,Taipei 11493 Taiwan

Tel: +886-2-7736-0128 #740

Fax: +886-2-7736-0126

Can anyone confirm this or hooked up the adapter to a PCIe 3.0 slot with a PCIe 3.0 card?

PE4L-HP060 2.1b was confirmed to run at x1 3.0 on a HTPC at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3094-egpu-desktop-htpc.html#post42839 .

I'll add there is no Gen3 mPCIe or expresscard slot on a notebook since the Southbridge to which they attach maxes out at Gen2 for Series6 to Series8 chipsets.

PE4L-HP060 2.1b was confirmed to run at x1 3.0 on a HTPC at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3094-egpu-desktop-htpc.html#post42839 .

I'll add there is no Gen3 mPCIe or expresscard slot on a notebook since the Southbridge to which they attach maxes out at Gen2 for Series6 to Series8 chipsets.

Thanks! I've been Googlen' for hours and haven't seen that. My aplication is a Pavillion 500-c60. It's a amd A6 5200 and Radeon hd8400. The mPCIe is a Gen 3. It uses mini itx so looks like this is my solution. Any advice on what cards to look at? I was looking at the gtx 660 but I gather that Optimus doesn't count for anything for me as its AMD/ATI not Intel/Nvidia combo. If I'm not going to be able to use Optimus does that make other cards more attractive for my application?

Edit: I also saw the benchmarks on the cpu were lower than I expected for a quad core. Is the cpu going to bottleneck before the gpu and adapter? I'm looking to run X-Plane 10 with some scenery packages and want a good, fluid experience.

Apologies for the ignorance, I've been out of the PC world since 2002 or so.

Hi,

I was wondering whether the new Carbon X1 Gen 3 is capable of an egpu setup via M.2 to PCIe x4 3.0.

From this link it shows that the Carbon X1 Gen 3 has a compatible m.2 pcie x4 slot as tested by the samsung sm951 mpcie SSD. Furthermore, if I grab an adapter such as this one which is also the m.2 2280 length, it should theoretically be able to get pcie 3.0 x4 link to an egpu. Since there are space constraints within the back of the carbon x1, I would use a riser cable out to the gpu. Can someone with more experience confirm that this may work? If so, I may want to test it out.

Cheers,

Louiek

Hi,

I was wondering whether the new Carbon X1 Gen 3 is capable of an egpu setup via M.2 to PCIe x4 3.0.

From this link it shows that the Carbon X1 Gen 3 has a compatible m.2 pcie x4 slot as tested by the samsung sm951 mpcie SSD. Furthermore, if I grab an adapter such as this one which is also the m.2 2280 length, it should theoretically be able to get pcie 3.0 x4 link to an egpu. Since there are space constraints within the back of the carbon x1, I would use a riser cable out to the gpu. Can someone with more experience confirm that this may work? If so, I may want to test it out.

Cheers,

Louiek

You'd be the first to showcase it's possibility.

I'll mention that the lspci.txt for the X1 Carbon Gen3 at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1417209 shows only port1 (0:1c.0) and port2 (0:1c.1) enabled on the Southbridge. Port2 is hosting the WLAN card. Port1 showing nothing attached. To be a x2 port would require port1, port3, port5 or port7 to be enabled. A x4 port would require port1 or port5 to be enabled.

There is no Northbridge PCIe port enabled (0:1.0 or 0:3.0).

My ZBook 17 G2 has a port5 that's set to run a x2 2.0 link but it's not enabled by default. Looks like the BIOS only enables it upon detecting something on there. Don't have any NGFF.M2 eGPU gear to try to see what happens with it attached. Maybe Lenovo has ports that are enabled only when a device is detected on bootup?

00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #2 [8086:9c92] (rev e3) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])

Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-

Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes

Bus: primary=00, secondary=03, subordinate=03, sec-latency=0

I/O behind bridge: 00002000-00002fff

Memory behind bridge: d0100000-d02fffff

Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000d0300000-00000000d04fffff

Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-

BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-

PriDiscTmr- SecDiscTmr- DiscTmrStat- DiscTmrSERREn-

Capabilities: <access denied>

Kernel driver in use: pcieport

00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #3 [8086:9c94] (rev e3) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])

Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-

Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

Bus: primary=00, secondary=04, subordinate=04, sec-latency=0

Memory behind bridge: f1000000-f10fffff

Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- <SERR- <PERR-

BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-

PriDiscTmr- SecDiscTmr- DiscTmrStat- DiscTmrSERREn-

Kernel driver in use: pcieport

04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 [8086:095b] (rev 59)

Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 [8086:5210]

Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 44

Region 0: Memory at f1000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)

Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi

Here's my proven effective (for me, YMMV) procedure to get the Lenovo T530 booting with expresscard connection and PE4L:

1. No changes to bios required. Have external GPU fully connected up, but without monitor (DVI/HDMI) cable connected.

2. Turn power on to eGPU (if computer is running, it will load with error 12).

3. Power on or restart computer. Device manager shows all three GPUs (eGPU = GTX 680, dGPU = NVS5400M, iGPU = HD 4000) working properly.

4. Connect monitor cable from eGPU to monitor and activate if required in Control Panel\Display\Screen Resolution.

In the end, I run one gaming monitor off the eGPU, a second monitor for productivity :) off the dGPU, and the main laptop display runs off the iGPU for music playing/chat/whatnot. I've tested disabling the dGPU and/or iGPU for higher 3DMark scores or gaming performance, but found it makes no measurable difference, so simply leave them on as well. It makes for a simple, powerful, and effective set-up.

Tech Inferno Fan - Please add me to the list of successful implementations :).

Thanks for the quick reply but I might have spoken too soon. After looking at the internals of the new carbon x1, looks like the m.2 pcie slot is used for the SSD and that there is no other storage interface. So unless I plan on booting with linux from a usb stick, an egpu system with an onboard ssd are mutually exclusive.

Hi everyone, im new to the forum and the whole EGPU buisness but it really intrigues me and id like to do it with my laptop, it has a decent GPU but is quickly showing age and id like to do an external gpu for home use.. anyway i did some digging around in my laptop and it looks like there are 2 mpcie slots in there. Though i dont want to remove the wireless card and well cant ( the screw is stripped... ) i would like to do this but after i did some reasearch i found that its an MSATA slot. Not sure what the difference is beacuse they look identical. Can i do an egpu through that slot? or am i just screwed? Anyone have some ideas or have done it with this laptop or a simmilar one before? Also what kind of GPU for this kinda setup would be optimal? Thanks everyone ^^

Hi everyone, im new to the forum and the whole EGPU buisness but it really intrigues me and id like to do it with my laptop, it has a decent GPU but is quickly showing age and id like to do an external gpu for home use.. anyway i did some digging around in my laptop and it looks like there are 2 mpcie slots in there. Though i dont want to remove the wireless card and well cant ( the screw is stripped... ) i would like to do this but after i did some reasearch i found that its an MSATA slot. Not sure what the difference is beacuse they look identical. Can i do an egpu through that slot? or am i just screwed? Anyone have some ideas or have done it with this laptop or a simmilar one before? Also what kind of GPU for this kinda setup would be optimal? Thanks everyone ^^

Please search for "Y580" on http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html . You'll find what you are looking there.

Here's my proven effective (for me, YMMV) procedure to get the Lenovo T530 booting with expresscard connection and PE4L:

1. No changes to bios required. Have external GPU fully connected up, but without monitor (DVI/HDMI) cable connected.

2. Turn power on to eGPU (if computer is running, it will load with error 12).

3. Power on or restart computer. Device manager shows all three GPUs (eGPU = GTX 680, dGPU = NVS5400M, iGPU = HD 4000) working properly.

4. Connect monitor cable from eGPU to monitor and activate if required in Control Panel\Display\Screen Resolution.

In the end, I run one gaming monitor off the eGPU, a second monitor for productivity :) off the dGPU, and the main laptop display runs off the iGPU for music playing/chat/whatnot. I've tested disabling the dGPU and/or iGPU for higher 3DMark scores or gaming performance, but found it makes no measurable difference, so simply leave them on as well. It makes for a simple, powerful, and effective set-up.

Tech Inferno Fan - Please add me to the list of successful implementations :).

Sure. Can you piece together an implementation guide with full system and eGPU adapter details, steps you need to get it all going, along with 3dmark11, 3dmark13-FS and 3dmark06 benchmark run results? Then I can link you in the appropriate place on the leaderboard at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#dx11 . Your implementation guide will serve to help other T530 owner's contemplating an eGPU.

I need some help,

i have dell inspiron 1420 with support ram ddr2 up to 4gb..

my problem is, when im using gtx 650, i should have to make my ram 3gb or less,

or it wont start and getting error...

did any solution, for using 4gb RAM on this egpu..

Hello everybody !

I ordered the PE4C 2.1 with EC2, and another mPCI-e connections from hwtools 3 days ago. The total amount is (60 + 20) + 23 dollars for shipment via DHL. Now the package is on the central hub in Casablanca and tomorrow evening they say I will receive it in my city.

All is good until now, the delivery time is fast. But there is a problem, the DHL guys said to me by phone that I must pay some extra fees (frais de transit) in french. They said that I must to send them an engagement with my DNI via email in which I assure I will pay those extra fees and the customs fees once I receive the package ?! It's okay for the customs fees which is by the law some 20 or 25 % of the value of this type of product, which makes the total amount jump to some 125 dollars. But take that : THE EXTRA FEES OF DHL ARE ABOUT 60 DOLLARS ???!! I mean WTF ?

Now the global price of the PE4C 2.1 and one additional cable mPCIe with that DHL which hwtools chooses is 185 Dollars ?? This is really far from being a good deal, I feel stolen and disappointed, wonder if it's the hwtools fault not communicating and speaking about that extra fees that I didn't knew from the beginning, or what ?

Note that hwtools imposed to me this mode of shipment with this company, and I never expressed my desire of getting anything super fast... Can I open a dispute in paypal about this ?

Thank you for your advice !

Hi, I have read almost all posts since 2014, first thing that I did not see mentioned here, you can have 8% off any purchase on Banggood, see the coupon codes here (I tested couple of days ago - works good for CN/UK stores):

https://www.facebook.com/BanggoodCouponCodes

Next thing, the EXP GDC Beast (mPCIE) works on following system:

Acer Laptop Aspire V3-771G-9441 Intel Core i7 3630QM (2.40GHz) 8GB Memory NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M Windows 7.

eGPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Edition

ATX PSU required.

The only things to know - remove WiFi adapter (the only mPCIE port on this laptop), if you get BSOD when booting up system, then remove eGPU and once booted, disable dGPU, then boot up with eGPU connected.

Nothing else had to be done to make it work.

Unfortunately for me It stopped working after one day of gaming, I suspect GDC Beast had died, Im waiting for a new one, will update with my full story then.

EDIT:

Hi guys, a friend has recommanded me this forum if I needed answers to my questions so.... RJgAJZdlsYzbjOrAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

I have an Acer Aspire V3-771g, with an Intel core i7, 8gb DDR3 of ram, an integrated video card (Intel HD graphic 4000) and a second (Nvidia GT710M with 2gb dedicated).

My question is the following: Can I upgrade my laptop with an EGPU ? My friend tell me that the perfect guy for this question is "Nando", but I'm totally open for all you answers guys !! RJgAJZdlsYzbjOrAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Thanks a lot,

Regards,

Biker63

I saw someone writing to you that it will not work, maybe too late to answer, but I have same laptop and I had eGPU running with Beast. You have to use mPCIE that has WiFi in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.